Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

Here's my 1/1/15 Whole30-AIP results:  lost 5 pounds & 5 inches, which was surprising, since my first Whole30(Whole75) I lost exactly ZERO pounds.

My first reintro on the 31st was soy-free egg yolk mayo, 1 Tbl @ dinner.  Woke up the next morning with mild sinus congestion -- hard to tell if it was a reaction, since I sometimes get it for no apparent reason in the winter.  Then had a family dinner event on Sunday, where I'm sure there was butter in everything.  Did my best to avoid it, but I know the turkey was basted in butter and the garlic green beans were sauteed in butter, so I muddled the egg test.

Will be strict today & tomorrow & try the egg mayo again Wednesday.

I've been trolling over at the KetwhOle30, as I have dabbled with that modality in the past, per Dr. Wahl's book.  Will probably try it AIP-style after my half marathon on the 15th.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word to the wise, keep reading your labels folks!

In my, erm, "less charitable" moments (hangry, perhaps?), I often get kinda angry at labels and how so much garbage is slipped in. I know it's the food makers job to make stuff hyperpalatable so we eat more, buy more, etc., but ughhhh do we really need gluten, soy and HFCS in 90% of packaged products?

Hey All

Mumontherun - at least it's a very clear indication = no dairy! Glad you made it to a latrine in time - whew! 

My two new very strict commitments this month are these:

1. Jasmine green tea instead of coffee during week. Coffee makes me feel edgy and after a while, kinda dull. So I'm going back to green tea, which I love anyhow so why the heck not? Allow on Sat/Sun cuz I do love coffee too.

2. Back to attempting no food after 8 on Tues, Weds, Fri and Sun, and after 8:45 on Mon and Thurs. Sat is free. I find my gut just likes it better that way. It is SO tempting to eat something when I come home from work and often I can't eat during work - thus the later times on Mon and Thurs. This means no more munching on nuts while reading in bed. :/

Working on setting more realistic commitments. :)

Re-Introed non-gluten grains, no stomach issues and some hip joint pain (probably due to gardening efforts...Sat and Sun. were warm). Otherwise, I am very happy with the results. So far, so good.

Today and tomorrow will be W30, Wednesday will be legumes. We will be in Las Vegas for few days, so it won't be hard to find legumes.

Hi just wanted to say I'd like to keep on reporting my meals as it keeps me honest and on track. Today was pretty light food-wise. 

M1 two-egg coconut flour savory pancakes with sausage patty and a few bacon pieces

M2 small salad with oo/lemon, guac and cup-o-bone broth

M3 bone broth soup with egg and mustard greens thrown in for good measure, handful almonds

Tomorrow it's reintroing yoghurt, dry curd cottage cheese, and mozzarella!  Can't wait. Yogurt looks like it turned out well - but never have fermented for full 24 hours and so we'll see how it tastes. If cheese is ok (please God) then I'll be making the SIBO zucchini lasagna on Wednesday. :)

Hi Everyone! Well, day 4 of re-intro for me and no problems whatsoever! How amazing that I haven't even been tempted to have a cheeky glass of wine (wow, I learnt a lot in January!) Have done legume, non-gluten grains, and tomorrow is dairy - caaaaaan't waaaaaaait!!!! I love dairy, but I know that it will have to be a 'sometimes' food for me going forward even if I don't have a negative reaction to it. I don't think it's fabulous for your body, but just knowing that I don't have to knock back a lovely beetroot salad with soft, creamy fetta, will be a joy! Maybe 'clean' eating is my thing (more than paleo)?? Either way, I still haven't had high processed food/sugar/ alcohol, holy moly!!!!

Hi Everyone....

Well, it was black coffee and boiled eggs for me this morning - I'm staying away from dairy for the time being. My guts are still a little 'churny' but no running to the loo today so that's a relief. Having baked potato with tuna salad for lunch then Thai green coconut curry with chicken & aubergine plus a bit of brown basmati rice for dinner. Am loving being able to have rice again and I find just a small portion (about half of what I used to have) satisfies my appetite. Yum!

leaC - I'm going to post in the Success Section when I reach my goal weight/size/shape/health & fitness level....and I'll include before & after photos. I've still got a long way to go and may need to do another Whole30/15/10 before then. I've got all my stats recorded and will do a big write up when I feel that I've succeeded. At the moment, I feel like I'm still on my way to success.

Have a fab day, everyone!!!

I introduced legumes 2 days ago, and it's actually hard for me to tell if I'm having a reaction or not.  I did get some minor gas pains, but I also had a huge serving of brussle sprouts....which wasn't smart because now I can't tell what's giving me the gas.  doh!

I think I'll try the legumes again at the end of the month, and be smarter about what I pair it with.

Next week, I'm introducing non-gluten grains.  (I'm doing the intros a week apart)

Maybe 'clean' eating is my thing

*pshaw*, clean eating is a myth! What is a clean food? One you've washed? ;)

Next week, I'm introducing non-gluten grains.  (I'm doing the intros a week apart)

With a week apart from different groups, you could probably try legumes again in a couple days and still get beneficial feedback.

Hey All!

My old, dying omputer is just about reacdy to keel over. Thec c is popping in in weird plaecs and not typing whecccccccn I atually precss the ckecy. AKK! 

Time to shop around - HECY why not recward myselcf with a newc omputerc!!?! I an barecly fford it, but I an afford it - have steacdy inome - HAH too funny. Must laugh as it does no good to fret. Friecndly fats - HEY Friecndly FATS! Trying to say  facts. (copied and pastecd c). Ecgad.

:P

Recintroing banana today. TREAT TIMECCCCCC!  :D

When is the last time you applied a defrag for your computer...that might save you if that's all it is.   Worth a try. vveluouulslkkl  :D 

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before....but my husband supported me through the Whole30 by giving up drinking for January and eating compliant dinners with me (his breakfast & lunches were his own business/responsibility and the snacks he ate at work I just don't want to know about!)....he's an accountant so the idea of giving up booze & take out/unhealthy snacks interested him on a financial level. Our weekly food shop was much cheaper buying whole ingredients and cooking from scratch....and the 'no booze fund' soon added up. So, the money we saved meant that we could go out to a local furniture warehouse on Sunday and buy a new sideboard!!! I keep looking at it and it makes me feel all warm inside to have a lovely tangible (and much needed - we have storage issues!!!) symbol of our new healthier habits. I love my new 'Whole30' sideboard and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!

As of Saturday, a day after my Whole30 was done, I re-introduced Red wine. No reactions there. So that makes me happy.

Now lets talk Dairy....WOW. I love my cheese....so on Sunday I had cheese during the super bowl. The next day, my face broke out with blemishes and I felt terribly stuffed up as well as bubble guts, which I hadn't felt at all while on my whole 30!! So sadly, I am going to keep my dairy intake to a minimum.

Monday and all day today I have been compliant and we are planning on having a small portion of whole wheat pasta with chicken n pesto sauce. I already believe my system will not agree with me. I just hope it's not too bad. I actually want to eliminate wheat & rice, gluten all together. They are the prime reason for my weight gain.

Good luck everyone!!

Kirkor and Meadowlilly Thank You for your feedback re SIBO info and computer issues. Kirkor I'm familiar with that site - am actually doing research now with re John Brisson and more so with what Dr. Allison Siebecker has to offer. 

MeadowLilly, my "old" computer is 7 years and so outdated that I couldn't update itunes or acrobat (thus pdfs unreadable) and much more. Also two keys falling off like little loose fingernails. Poor thing. I still use it for writing/music until I transfer everything over and really know my new lenovo. Weird switching back to PC. But these days PC windows operates much like Macs. 

Diet wise, that two steps forward one step back is now happening with the one step back - do the hokeypokey and turn yourself around, that's what it's all about. So for a while this morning I was reallyyyy triggered into my dear ego brain, feeling frustrated and thinking nothing works. ....because I'm back to bloaty, belchy, hurty gut. Yoga realyyyyy helped. And I did the hokey pokey, that's right, turned myself right around and now feeling/being in a much better and more realistic place. 

I've decided to do the SCD intro diet for three days, go from there, currently researching/ planning reintro from intro diet. Setting doc appt. today. Sticking with Whole 30 forum as it does help keep me honest/sane.  

Not sure what gut reaction is - actually was a bit gloopy after that banana/choc chips couple days prior and slowly getting worse. So just going to really cut back to basics for time being. 

I am continuing the Whole 30. I just can not trust myself to

Go off plan. This feels to good to give up. So I am sticking with

the plan.

If it works, then keep workin' it! :)

(but still give yourself the victory of having completed tie initial Whole30 --- don't "move the goalposts")

OK feeling better. Actually, moving around, yoga, work, and lots of water helped. Very loose stool, but not wholly diarrhea. And it takes a while for it to get going (sibo symptom) but once it starts....

I finished my prokinetic just a few days ago - an antibiotic for slow/deficient "migrating motor complex" (MMC). Slow MMC is an involuntary muscle contraction to move stuff from small intestine into large and peeps with IBS/SIBO symptoms likely have deficient MMC. I'm moving back into pooping smaller amounts throughout day and sitting longer. Aren't you glad to know? :P

Sharing this for anyone else who may be experiencing same issues with IBS and may want to talk with enlightened doc/naturopath about it. 

Continued eating yogurt yest and had a piece of cheese at a pot luck and it was delish. My meals yest were:

M1 yogurt with 1/4 ripe banana and some almonds, green tea (I know ripe banana sounded like a nono but it's supposed to be good for SIBO and I'm thinking I was reacting to die-off, which can cause symptoms as well)

M2 small patty sausage with a few bacon pieces, two fried eggs and small salad, which I didn't finish, another 1/2 cup yogurt

M3 three small pieces chicken and cup of fresh squash/tomato soup (ings listed) from organic market, one piece cheese

Dunno why I had salad - raw foods are not good for sibo, but I overlooked that detail. Just read about avoiding salads so no more for a month. 

Haven't started sibo intro diet as i don't have all ings. See my doc today, we'll see what she has to say. Want to start intro diet and herbal remedy (hopefully - or antibiotics) tomorrow.

Also - confession confession - I'm having espresso today. ... but it's only cuz i ran out of green tea! It is SO good. Back to green tea tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well and keeping on track!

Hi all,

I finished my first Whole30 on Feb 2nd - yay!! :)

I've been reading through the reintroduction posts, which are extremely helpful - thanks! I do have a question about sleep though.  One of the biggest benefits of my Whole30 was to my sleep behaviors - managed to fall asleep easily and stay asleep all night (or if I did wake up, could roll over and fall back asleep easily).  I reintroduced dairy yesterday to no stomach issues, but had the worst night of sleep in the last 30 days.  I woke up multiple times, had trouble falling back asleep etc.  I have no idea if this is due to the dairy, or the psychosomatic "I changed my diet my sleep will change" thoughts?

Anyone else have sleep patterns change after reintroducing foods?  

Thanks!

Ashley

• Administrators

Hi all,

I finished my first Whole30 on Feb 2nd - yay!! :)

I've been reading through the reintroduction posts, which are extremely helpful - thanks! I do have a question about sleep though.  One of the biggest benefits of my Whole30 was to my sleep behaviors - managed to fall asleep easily and stay asleep all night (or if I did wake up, could roll over and fall back asleep easily).  I reintroduced dairy yesterday to no stomach issues, but had the worst night of sleep in the last 30 days.  I woke up multiple times, had trouble falling back asleep etc.  I have no idea if this is due to the dairy, or the psychosomatic "I changed my diet my sleep will change" thoughts?

Anyone else have sleep patterns change after reintroducing foods?  

Thanks!

Ashley

Eating something that your body struggles with can absolutely impact your sleep.  So whether you necessarily felt like you had a gut reaction or not, that dairy might've been messing with you on a cellular level.  You can always go back to Whole30 until your sleep is great again (a few days, probably) and then try it again and see what happens?

I reintroduced dairy yesterday to no stomach issues, but had the worst night of sleep in the last 30 days. I woke up multiple times, had trouble falling back asleep etc. I have no idea if this is due to the dairy, or the psychosomatic "I changed my diet my sleep will change" thoughts?

One option: go back to 100% compliant for a day or 2, then reintro dairy again. Falling asleep can be tricky since the those 'thoughts are racing' thing can definitely occur regardless of your diet. If you tossed and turned, woke up mid-sleep, etc., I'd say it was definitely diet related ... but difficulty just *falling* asleep, I could see how you'd suspect some psychosomatic factors.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Before I posted today, I had a yogurt with breakfast to try and figure out if timing in the day of dairy could be an issue - I definitely had the majority of dairy yesterday with dinner.  I'll see how things go tonight, and go back to full whole 30 tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.  

Thanks!

Archived