Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eating something that your body struggles with can absolutely impact your sleep.  So whether you necessarily felt like you had a gut reaction or not, that dairy might've been messing with you on a cellular level.  You can always go back to Whole30 until your sleep is great again (a few days, probably) and then try it again and see what happens?

I too had an 'experience' with dairy - Oh no, not my beloved dairy!!!

So......yesterday was dairy re-introduction day, I couldn't wait! I had milk in my coffee, fetta & ricotta cheese with my lunch and by the time I got home I was just dieing for something out of the ordinary - like pizza & wine! I decided to buy a gluten free pizza base (as I'd breezed through non- gluten re-intro), and I created some lovely meat & veggie pizzas with lot's of cheese. I also ate a nice chunk of triple cream brie AND I confess, I had a rather large glass of red wine!!!

The first few sips were amazing, so delicious! I did find though that my old pre-W30 habbit of dozing in front of the tv returned and it made me question why I had the wine in the first place (or such a large glass more to the point)?

Interesting turn of events this morning.....for the entire W30 my joint & body aches and pains practically disappeared. HOWEVER, this morning I found my left knee (which I've had re-constructed - twice), was throbbing, felt swollen, sore and achey - WTF??? Did I sleep on it strangely last night, was it the wine, or was it the dairy? Silly to combine two things on re-intro day, but I am assuming it was the dairy that messed with me. I didn't realise that just one weird symptom could come from a food that you never thought you had a problem with during the 46 years of your existance!

My plan from here.....W30 tomorrow (Friday), re-intro gluten on Saturday, W30 on Sunday then attempt dairy again on Monday. NO WINE between now and Monday!

I've had to adjust my re-introduction schedule....Because I have ticket to Ottawa's "Sip and Slurp" which is basically a convention for all the noodle restaurants in the city.  I LOOOOOVE NOODLES more than anything else in this world. 

So, today I'm introducing non-gluted grains.

M1: Scrambled eggs and Quinoa & Potato hashbrowns.

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2014/02/quinoa-breakfast-hash-browns-1.html

(I fried these in Ghee and Olive oil because I haven't introduced Dairy yet.  I also used a sweet potato instead of a white one)

M2:  Leftover Spaghetti Squash and Whole30 spaghetti sauce.  I have a handfull of Tostitos Corn chips to go with it.

M3:  Suasage and Pepper Skillet With a side of White Rice.

http://lexiscleankitchen.com/2013/08/28/sausage-peppers-onions/

Uuuuuughhhh.....  I just finished lunch with tortilla chips.  I have a pain in my upper chest/throat like there's a big lump of cotton sitting there that I just can't swallow.  Little bit of a tummy ache too. 

I'm so sad, I used t be able to eat an entire bag of tortilla chips with salsa all by myself.  Looks like I won't be doing that again!

I'm on Day 20 but am reading here to see what's ahead!  I'm nervous about adding things, but when it's time, I know I can do it!    Not sure what I will start with, and am not sure I really want to add anything, I'm feeling so good.  Hmmmm.  Much to think about, and much to learn.  Thanks all for sharing your experience!

@LeaC- oh no! bad news if its wine OR dairy :(

Still working along on reintroduction week here, Tuesday was gluten free grains- had brown rice with lunch and made chili with white rice, corn, and a few corn chips with dinner. I also ended up having left over rice and chili for lunch on Wednesday instead of strict whole30-- I will say Tuesday and Wednesday after lunch I was dragging. Skipped out on grocery shopping I was so tired, worn out. I woke up today feeling the same and thought maybe I was coming down with something, but now I'm winding back up to full energy/motivation. Very interesting... will take more experimentation to see if it was cause and effect.

Tomorrow is dairy and I am ridiculously excited. Planning on plain whole fat yogurt with breakfast, might partake in some froyo at lunch, and planning something covered with parmesan cheese for dinner. Very undecided about the froyo-- fearing it may be too much sugar, and if I have an adverse rxn to the sugar, how will I know the difference? Maybe I'll have a square of dark chocolate instead, still sugary but maybe not such a bomb. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm also soo excited to bake bread again! I don't think there's any other gluten product that I really miss besides maybe pizza dough, so I think I'll only be introing my homemade bread. Fingers crossed for no gluten problems!

....and the 'no booze fund' soon added up. So, the money we saved meant that we could go out to a local furniture warehouse on Sunday and buy a new sideboard!!! I keep looking at it and it makes me feel all warm inside to have a lovely tangible (and much needed - we have storage issues!!!) symbol of our new healthier habits. I love my new 'Whole30' sideboard and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!

I love this! What a great physical reminder of all your good work on the Whole30. Mr. Sun also gave up booze for (most of) the duration of the whole30. Our grocery bill has been much higher through this process, which is something I pay week to week, so I didn't realize how much we were saving on take out and alcohol, things husband pays for. Extra motivation to keep up healthy habits :)

... I've been reading through the reintroduction posts, which are extremely helpful - thanks! I do have a question about sleep though.  One of the biggest benefits of my Whole30 was to my sleep behaviors - managed to fall asleep easily and stay asleep all night (or if I did wake up, could roll over and fall back asleep easily).  I reintroduced dairy yesterday to no stomach issues, but had the worst night of sleep in the last 30 days.  I woke up multiple times, had trouble falling back asleep etc.  I have no idea if this is due to the dairy, or the psychosomatic "I changed my diet my sleep will change" thoughts?

Hi Ashley Just wanted to add to comments about sleep and adding foods after elimination. I had a talk with my doc about this yest because I experienced same - change in sleep pattern.

My concern is, if the sensitivity isn't apparent - like hives, diarrhea, low energy, foggy brain, then could it be the body adjusting to new food(s)? I could easily find myself being hyperviligant when my body is simply adjusting/shifting with reintro. I'm finding that my gut loves certain dairys like 24-hour fermented yogurt and dry curt cottage cheese. Bloating/distention goes down, eases, and I feel better in general. BUT my sleep has been off. We discussed how the body is changing and the best thing to do is to listen to the body. Keep the dairy and sleep patterns will adjust after a few nights. 

Also learned yesterday that avocado is also bad for SIBO (wah! - avo listed high on FODMAP but I conveniently overlooked that) and have been chowing down on that, which explains bloating in last few days. However, I was eating avo on and off throughout whole 30 month and although my bloating still occurred, it didn't happen as often and my tummy did lose fat so I didn't associate avo with the bloating - and apparently it didn't affect my sleep because I slept quite well

That said, perhaps dairy IS affecting sleep but that is not necessarily a "bad" sign - maybe body/gut just needs time to adjust. Good idea to listen to body and see if removing dairy at dinner helps also. :)

Yesterday my meals were as follows:

M1 HM yogurt with 1/4 banana and almonds

M2 bone broth and yogurt

M3 two eggs with prosciutto fried in coconut oil with basil, yogurt with mac nuts

I do have to say, in listening to my body/gut, I too am sensing reducing amount of yogurt at night. I'm going to try same - yogurt in morning/aft but not at night. Yogurt is also sweetened with four drops stevia. Very yummy. I could easily over indulge. 

Poukiebear have FUN at noodle fest!

LeaC keep on! I find wine is so high in acid/sugar, I am immed. affected by it. It's not forever, but for now, am staying away! Maybe more time is needed with wine elimination. 

Have a good day everyone! 

Hmmmm.  I'm reading everything everyone is saying about dairy.  I re-introduced dairy and didn't feel too bad at first.  My stomach bloated a bit in the evening and was a bit upset, slight headache.  More bloated this evening even though I've been Whole30 compliant today, so could still be the dairy.  I'm going to have to continue this evaluation.  

Hi! Day 32 for me. I feel good; not as excited about reintroducing other foods as my husband is. What I missed most in the last month was a spoonful of sugar in my coffee. Had that yesterday and it was so anticlimactic. Tasted kind of meh.

I like to cook, so I've really enjoyed trying about 30 new recipes. Tomorrow is Dairy day, which means going back to a couple of those recipes where we said, "this is good, but it would be so much better with a smattering of cheese :)

Monday is GF grains; next Thursday we'll throw in some legumes, and the day after Valentine's day is waffle day! (and beer for my husband, but not at the same meal). Interested to see how my body responds to these foods since they've been gone.

Question: when can I have chocolate? I'd really love a little square of the dark stuff, but don't want to throw off my results.

Congrats to everyone for sticking through this thing. Thankful...

Hi Everyone!

I'm weak, weak, weak! After saying on Wednesday that I wasn't going to have wine again until after 2nd round of dairy, I find myself sitting here sipping a glass of cab sav... :wub:

So. From the knee inflamation episode after the dair/wine combination, have been W30 for the past 2 days and knee ache has subsided today. If after wine tonight I wake to inflamation tomorrow, I'll be SHATTERED!!! I need to buy that Pure Wine I posted about a while ago (it takes the preservatives and nasties out of wine). http://www.purewine.com.au/

Tomorrow is supposed to be gluten grains, but I'll see how I'm feeling in the morning. Yes, sad sunsoakeddreamer if it's either wine OR dairy!

It's intersting to read how others are being affected by different foods. I wonder how many of us knew we had intolerances before we did W30? I certainly didn't think any particular foods affected me, but looks like sugar, gluten & dairy are still possibilities until ruled out!

I'm on Day 20 but am reading here to see what's ahead!  I'm nervous about adding things, but when it's time, I know I can do it!    Not sure what I will start with, and am not sure I really want to add anything, I'm feeling so good.  Hmmmm.  Much to think about, and much to learn.  Thanks all for sharing your experience!

Healthyme2015, keep going, sounds like you're doing fine! We too were all nervous about reintroduction because it means you start 'riding your own bike', but I think 30 days of keeping yourself honest and leavning a bit about yourself, helps you to make the right decisions going forward.

LeaC keep on! I find wine is so high in acid/sugar, I am immed. affected by it. It's not forever, but for now, am staying away! Maybe more time is needed with wine elimination.  

Sighh bronnyd, I'd like to stay away from the wine but....... as I said, will wait and see what tomorrow brings!

Nashipae, good to hear from you! If I can offer a word of advice, I'd hold off on the chocolate until you work out whether the other foods affect you or you'll end up with a situation like me where I combined 2 foods on the same day and the next day I didn't know which had set of my inflamation! Even if you try sugar BEFORE another food stuff, just do it seperately. xx

I'm glad yesterdsay is over with.  My non-gluten grain re-introduction didn't go so well.  Like I said earlier, it felt like all of my food was sitting in my chest, and just wouldn't go down.  And the gas!  OMG.  I couldn't stop burping or tooting.

I can't really tell if I'm bloated.  LOL.  I'm fat.  A little bit of bloating isn't going to show itself.

Next week, Dairy.

Question: when can I have chocolate? I'd really love a little square of the dark stuff, but don't want to throw off my results.

Sweeteners aren't on the suggested reintro schedule, because the reason we eliminate them during a W30 is "in general" more for psychological reasons than physiological. They don't have as much potential for a negative immunoresponse as the other food groups we nix. So, I think the answer to your question is, "when you're ready to". You could reintro slow-roll style and just kinda wait 'til a special opportunity to eat chocolate comes up on it's own.

Artificial sweetners can be a culprit for reoccurring UTI's.

Natural sweetners...sugar is sugar,  Coconut and Agave nectars affect the blood sugar of T1 and T2 people in varying degrees.  Sweetners of all types have consequences....whether it's diet pop, sugarless gum or white sugar in chocolate or by the teaspoon.   The pancreas doesn't discriminate.

Hey Nashipae - everyone's telling you not to have chocolate! - and I do support what Kirkor and LeaC said re slow reintro for special occasion. THAT said, I also really missed my dark choc have decided to take a day to clearly reintro choc.. 

That day is tomorrow as I've been seriously thinking of making this low fodmap/gluten free chocolate cake for a friend's birthday. I've already reintroduced dairy, including butter (which has never been an issue as far as I can tell) so the only issue is sugar.

Clarity is key for me - drawing a very clear line as to what and how much I can have during reintro. 

Tomorrow (Saturday) I will reintro choc specifically in this way:

One square very dark choc after lunch while baking choc cake

One very small piece choc cake at birthday party

And that's it. It's the sugar that I'm wary of, not the chocolate, so am reallyyyy being clear and on sunday and forever more it's back to no sugar (forever more = for the rest of Feb). I will remain aware of all cravings, bloating/distention and mood swings that might occur in the following week.

LeaC and mumontherun - I miss my wiiiiine! Everyone is different - I can't have it right now. It ain't forever (heavy sighhhhhh).

Hope you're all doing well!

I'm glad yesterdsay is over with.  My non-gluten grain re-introduction didn't go so well.  Like I said earlier, it felt like all of my food was sitting in my chest, and just wouldn't go down.  And the gas!  OMG.  I couldn't stop burping or tooting.

I can't really tell if I'm bloated.  LOL.  I'm fat.  A little bit of bloating isn't going to show itself.

Next week, Dairy.

Hey PoukieBear - bloating can occur on the inside without distention (bloating on outside) and it sounds like that's what was happening... sorry to hear about grain! I can't have grain either - but it's a good thing to know. BURP AWAY!  Hugs. 

Waited an extra day to try the mayo again - had a tbsp. with last night's dinner. Had a smidgen of gut discomfort afterward, but I think it was my DVD reacting to the over-large serving of homemade kraut.

No noticeable congestion this morning. I will try it again tonight with less kraut & see where I am. If that goes well, I'll try some scrambled whole eggs tomorrow. <crosses fingers> I do so miss eggs!

Morning all!

Re-intro should be straight forward, shouldnt' it! If I had just stuck to the game plan as I did during my W30 I wouldn't have to extend this process....

After wine last night, no immediate signs/issues in the morning. Gluten day today, so had 2 slices of wholemeal toast with bacon, egg & sausage. Made a smoothie to take with me to son's basketball (coconut milk, frozen banana, baby spinach, water).

I keep checking my knee to see whether it feels any stiffer than usual, I don't know whether I'm imagining it, but it is possibly feeling slightly stiffer??? I hvae 2 more fluten meals planned for today - pasta for lunch & breadcrumbed lamb cutlets for dinner. AGAIN concerned about whether the wine could be giving me false readings - LOL! (not LOL....) :huh:

You see how many different ways 'wine' can mess up your life! Will play it by ear a bit - maybe riding my bike with trainer wheels on the back & ringing my bell loudly saying ' look out,! xx

Good Morning!!!

So, my body is tolerating wine, pulses & rice and I'm very happy about that. I've tried a smidge of dairy again (splash of semi-skimmed milk in coffee) and so far so good. I think I might be a bit hit & miss with dairy so not going to go crazy with it right now....baby steps there!

This evening we are going to my in-laws for dinner. My father-in-law is an ex-chef and creates magical tasting food....he asked me what I can/can't have, bless him....so he's making roast chicken, potatoes & veg, gravy (without flour) and stuffing (with flour but I'll give it a miss!). My mother-in-law always does the puddings (old school things like crumble, etc)....she is less accommodating (she's always been slim and says the thing that drives me madder than anything else 'Just eat less and move more' - why is it always skinny people who say that whilst stuffing their faces????WHY?). I suspect there will be an amazing cake or crumble on offer along with ice cream or clotted cream (she sometimes has BOTH on her puddings - argh!!!!). I shall skip pudding (even though it'll cause questions and unsolicited advice) and have a nice glass or two of red wine instead.

I'm not going to enter into any discussions about why I am eating the way I'm eating tonight....I'll just smile and say 'no thanks' to whatever I choose not to have. I'm sure my hubby & kids will have seconds of pudding so it won't go to waste!!!

Wish me luck!!!

• Administrators

Good Morning!!!

So, my body is tolerating wine, pulses & rice and I'm very happy about that. I've tried a smidge of dairy again (splash of semi-skimmed milk in coffee) and so far so good. I think I might be a bit hit & miss with dairy so not going to go crazy with it right now....baby steps there!

This evening we are going to my in-laws for dinner. My father-in-law is an ex-chef and creates magical tasting food....he asked me what I can/can't have, bless him....so he's making roast chicken, potatoes & veg, gravy (without flour) and stuffing (with flour but I'll give it a miss!). My mother-in-law always does the puddings (old school things like crumble, etc)....she is less accommodating (she's always been slim and says the thing that drives me madder than anything else 'Just eat less and move more' - why is it always skinny people who say that whilst stuffing their faces????WHY?). I suspect there will be an amazing cake or crumble on offer along with ice cream or clotted cream (she sometimes has BOTH on her puddings - argh!!!!). I shall skip pudding (even though it'll cause questions and unsolicited advice) and have a nice glass or two of red wine instead.

I'm not going to enter into any discussions about why I am eating the way I'm eating tonight....I'll just smile and say 'no thanks' to whatever I choose not to have. I'm sure my hubby & kids will have seconds of pudding so it won't go to waste!!!

Wish me luck!!!

Holy smokes, your mother in law is a skinny dessert pusher. That's just great. Not. Since dessert follows what is sure to be a delicious dinner, perhaps you can say "No thanks, not just now, I'm so full!". None but the insane try to push food on someone who says that. And with all the delicious food he's making, your plate shouldn't look empty so hopefully no one will comment on the lack of stuffing at all. Definitely lean towards "don't want any right this moment" vs "can't have any". "Want" takes personal responsibility which is difficult to argue with where as "cant" opens the door to negotiation on why you actually can. Good luck!!

Archived