Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love breakfast - bacon, sausage, kale and eggs with a bit of yogurt on the side. YUMMMM.

Sunsoakeddreamer, there is a bad virus going around my town that is exactly what you said - nausea, really drained, headache, achy bones. I did a little research and it's this nastier H3N2 virus and it has lasted a few days here. I wonder if that's what I had day before yesterday. And yesterday by the end of the day I was really wiped again with achy bones. Also wonder if the choc and partying on Saturday might have affected my gut in some way that made me more susceptible to catching something... but at least it's not really bad like several of my colleagues. One teacher said she was really sick for four days with a fever and zero energy and she said it was awful. 

I am basically doing whole 30 again with yogurt, dry curd cottage cheese and parmesan cheese (no other cheeses allowed for SIBO related reasons) and the occasional chocolate/buttered bourbon - which is off limits through rest of month - however, I might have a glass of wine next week at my dads. .....

Thank you, Ladyshanny for your feedback! I get what you're saying about not causing confusion. Going to stay here for time being and consult with doc about doing another true Whole30 after my next SIBO test. Yay mumontherun sounds like all is well! I LOVE english muffins with butter and strawberry jam....someday.... and LeaC, hope you're doing OK! This is first week back to work, yes? May your transition into the office be without struggle - and if there is struggle, may you find some space behind it and come to some fruitful insights. :) Rock on, everyone! xox  

Hi everyone!!!

All OK here....I've decided to try some whole wheat pasta tonight for dinner and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm not too fussed about having wheat as a regular part of my diet but sometimes I'd like pasta or toast just because I fancy it. Not had wheat for 6 weeks so it'll be interesting to see what happens to my body.

Hope everyone is well!!!

Had a food dream last night about doughnuts --- BUT I wasn't eating them: I was tearing them apart and stuffing them in packages to prevent OTHER people from eating them! Like most dreams, unfortunately now I don't remember all the specifics I did when I first woke up, but one part in particular I was holding up the ingredient list from some kind of Red Velvet doughnut and pointing out all the garbage in it. :)

Hahah Kirkor that's an awesome dream. I love donuts. And waffles. They are like a twice a year max treat for me. I too find it amazing how people can eat those things almost on a semi daily basis - I worked in an office once where they brought in donuts or muffins or cookies almost every day. Bleahhhh!

I too had a food dream last night - about onion rings. Some guy offered me onion rings and I refused and instead offered him crispy fried prosciutto. We ended up trading and the crispy onion rings were crunchy crispy yummy. I was nodding and crunching happily and so was he. I think this was a flirt dream.  :P Flirt with bacon and onion rings!

Hi everyone - I was Whole 30 compliant for a few days to restart some food groups. I had gluten on Tuesday and didn't feel that great after that day or the next. So was figuring it was the gluten. But I also made (for the first time) some bone broth (chicken and lamb bones) and drank some of that. It tasted great but I wondered if it had something to do with upset stomach. I have since read that while bone broth is good for you, it can take your stomach time to get used to it. So now I am not sure if it was the gluten, the bone broth or the bread I soaked in the bone broth. So back to more experimentation. Has anyone else had issues with bone broth?

Morning Everyone - Happy Valentine's Day to my W30 Friends!!! :wub:

I'm sorry I've been gone for so long...You're right Bronnyd, I've been back at work full time now for a couple of weeks and finding it extremely difficult to manage my time and find a work/life balance.

Usually when I invest energy into my health, something else has to give or if I invest more time into work, my health or family usually gives. For example, I can 100% vouch for the succeess of my W30 being due to the fact that most of the time I was on my school holidays 'stay-cation' and inbetween chauferring the boys around, I spent the majority of my day on this forum, researching meals/food, planning, shopping, cooking and compliantly eating.

Going back to work and only having weekends to cram all that in is proving to be a major challenge and I don't feel I'm succeeding. Because my current work project has amped up in intensity, I don't have any time for personal activities or thoughts throughout the day. I come home at night and quickly whip up a meal for the famiy and over the past few days have been consuming the same crappy dinner I'm dishing up to my very understanding boys/hubby because I don't have the energy to prepare a W30 meal as well.

Since I last posted (which would have been at least 4-5 days ago, I reintro'd dairy and gluten again (because the first time I had contaminated results). I don't think I had any reactions to these foods, or the odd glass of wine I've limited myself to enjoying at night, so I 'think' I'm OK with all food groups and therefore have now turned to riding my own bike!

Bronnyd, I'm glad you're asking where everyone is, it's usually me crying out to our community to write more posts because I LOVE hearing about how everyone is going. But, as you can probably tell by my short absence from this thread, life just gets in the way at times....

I was tempted to 'call it a day' from this re-intro thread (seeing as I'm riding my own bike now), I mean how long can you keep posting about just going back to normal life?

BUT.....

I'm going to do another whole30-newsletter-logo.jpg- maybe in March like someone else mentioned? I was planning on just doing this myself, no forums, no posting, just doing it. But I realised that my initial W30 success was also largley due to the accountability of posting & reading. So I'm doing a call out for people to join me - anyone interested???

Why am I doing another W30 so soon? Let's face it, weight loss was a major driver for me the first time. I lost 4.6kg/10lbs but have put on a few 100gm since and maintained that weight and I can't shake my swollen knee - why? My reintro'd foods didn't seem to have negative reactions for me. Did re-introduction of these so-called inflammitory foods halt my success? I haven't gone completely off the rails since finishing the re-intro phase. I haven't opened a packet of processed snack food (apart from 2 chcolate covered shortbread biscuits), I haven't added sugar to anything or mindfully eaten added sugar foods and actually I learnt that I CAN drink coffee without sugar now and that I CAN enjoy a glass of wine at night without it turning out to be the whole bottle.

However, this pattern of eating will only send me back to the same lifestyle I had pre W30...

Anyone up for another W30 month? :D

PS: You can tell I haven't posted for a while - letting it all out now - sorry guys... xx

• Administrators

I can't shake my swollen knee - why? My reintro'd foods didn't seem to have negative reactions for me. Did re-introduction of these so-called inflammitory foods halt my success? 

The negative effects from foods that you are sensitive to may not show up with one or two days of eating.  The problem is not always a digestive one and those foods could be wreaking havoc on you at a cellular level.  

When you do your Whole30 in March (there's a thread already starting for folks prepping for a March 1 start that would probably LOVE your energy and experience!), I would recommend doing a different reintro protocol than the one you just did.  I would probably pick one food group (dairy or gluten grains) and eat them daily for a few days and then step back and see what happens.  ince you are experiencing more inflammation than digestive or skin issues, it is probably going to take awhile. I'd suggest maybe 5 days of eating the item, 10 days of not?  This isn't necessarily the "recommended" reintro but if you don't have an immediate noticeable reaction to something, I would think that using it for a few days straight and then waiting awhile to see effects would be a good start in determining what is bugging you.

When you do your Whole30 in March (there's a thread already starting for folks prepping for a March 1 start that would probably LOVE your energy and experience!) 

ladyshaddy, such a positive & helpful Moderator - thank you for all that feedback and I'll certainly take the re-intro suggestions on board next time around! Also great advice re: joining March 1st thread, I have done this now, I joined -

:)   http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25193-starting-march-1st/?hl=march  for anyone else wanting to do another W30. 

This gives me 2 weeks to sort myself out, get organised and plan ahead to start over again.

There are many benefits of doing a 2nd W30, one of which I believe will be having prior knowledge, a list of foods/meals that worked (or didn't work), and thus saving so much time in the experimentation department!

I'm so thrilled also that this time around I have hubby joining me! I told him I wanted to do a 2nd W30 in March and he said "count me in"! Wow, I didn't even have to convince him it would be a good idea! Would love to hear if anyone else is keen to join us...

Leanne xx

OMG no WAY, Kirkor! :D :D :D  Those are really really GROSS! But it's two things I love - bacon and roses .... if my boyfriend gave me both a dozen roses and a dozen bacon roses, I'd be ok with it.....

I googled fat bomb and came up with these recipes - they don't have a grain of sugar in them! 

Last night I had an insight to end my day with something like a fat bomb to help me sleep better and it worked!! I remembered that awesome bourbon/ghee I had last weekend and decided to have some ghee tea. Sounds gross but it was really good. I just put a T spoon of ghee my tea cup of hot water, sprinkled some cinnamon and a couple-three drops of stevia and had myself a virgin hot buttered bourbon. I'm going to do this every night and shrink my dinners down to maybe a bit of kale/collards sauteed with a piece of bacon and a sprinkle of acv.

Today I leave for FL to see my dad. Wish me luck everyone! I'm planning out my meals and how/when I'll be cooking - hopefully get it all done there first day and be as inconspicuous as possible. 

Happy V-Day!

Kirkor, that's just gross (as bronnyd said), but I LOVE it! I'm sure Michelle from Nom Nom Paleo would love to receive a bouquet of bacon roses for Valentine's Day!

Bronny, I checked out your link to the Fat Bombs.....Mmmmmmm....I'm trying to work out whether they would be considered a 'treat' or supplementing a meal when I do my March 1st W30? I'm assuming they are considered a paleo treat... :(

I received the latest 'Wholesome' in my inbox which was very interesting! Especially the link to good tips for sleep here. check it out. So, does fat at night help you sleep better, is that what you're saying about the ghee-tea bronnyd?

Wishing you luck in Florida with your Dad. I'm picturing you setting up his crock-pot in your bedroom to make your yoghurt, some sauerkraut fermenting on the bedside table, meat strips drying on the window sill, and your dad walking in to your room and saying WTF??!! :o You'll be fine...

Hope to hear back from more of our crew soon. I know I was tempted to drop off the thread after getting to this stage of our journey and feeling like it was over, until I realised I need to get back on that horse/bike - I have a long way to go - do you???

Latest re-intro observation....because I've gone off track a little, I have noticed a return of my eczema (between my fingers) like when you don't dry your hands properly. This was non-existant when doing my W30! :(

Hey, glad to see more activity in here, welcome back LeaC- and congrats on planning another Whole30, I'm not ready yet but I think I'm going to try the AIP in the spring.

Bronny I think you hit the nail on the head and it was a virus, glad that's over! 

Kirkor I'd love to get a bouquet like that! 

So I was planning a second reintro week but I botched it pretty quickly  :wacko: Thursday I was planning just my yogurt with breakfast, which I had, but I got to work and it was this girls last day. So I partook in the bagels and cream cheese and then the cake. I was feeling super stressed and they were flipping gooood. So I suppose I learned a bit about what mental state will derail my resolve. My coworkers celebrate everything with sweets so I need to come prepared on these celebration days with something that will feel like a treat for me. I ate well the next day and refused to beat myself up about it. It turned out to be just the motivation I needed to get back to my workouts after being sick.

I also made brownies last night, and hubs and I each had one (and only one!) Bronny I thought of you when I was licking the spatula, and I don't think you could pay me not to do it! It's one of my favorite parts of baking, it's part of the experience. I will say if I'd seen those fat bomb recipes first I might have tried one of those instead of my standard sugar bomb recipe

Hey All! 

It feels good to be on here again - still visiting my dad and in fact, I'm doing really well staying on track here. LeaC you gave me an out-loud chuckle with your caught with secret kitchen-in-bedroom scenario.  :D I decided to go yogurt free this week and you know, my gut actually feels better. Also eating gelatin (aka bone broth) but instead of making the broth this week, I'm eating finger jello every day - it's actually pretty tasty, esp. orange flavor. Not only is it curbing my snacking cravings, it's helping my gut feel loads better! Knox jello - go figure - gooooood for the guuuuuut. 

I made my dad homemade lasagna with both eggplant and zucchini noodles and it turned out awesome! He loved it and so did his girlfriend. I had two pieces. :) :) He ate all of his, albeit a small piece, but his appetite hasn't been that great. 

Brownies - I LOVE, sunsoakeddreamer. With walnuts. After this month, I'm making some and YES licking the bowl and spatula. Speaking of which, last night my dad and I watched The Great British Baking Show (never heard of it before but methinks I will follow now) and OMG was it fun - and interesting and my mouth watered. I'm grateful I can watch PBS shows about baking scrumptious gourmet doughnuts and not feel deprived. Someday I will bake my own British doughnuts, damnit. One sweet contestant was only 17! So bright! And they also have one woman who looks around late 50s.... she rocks. And a very bright Indian woman who should have won last night's round if you ask me.

I might go ahead with another whole 30 in March............ 

Yey Bronny - yes, go another Whole 30 on 1st March with me!

I can't believe how stressed I've been with work lately. You can probably tell by the drop in number of posts! I just don't have the energy when I get home from work to log onto my laptop and spill the beans on my latest happenings. I have certainly fallen off the wagon, eating/drinking whatever I like, whenever I like, but I AM mindful of what I'm doing, and I know it's only a short while before I get back on that 'wagon' on March 1.

I know the W30 philosophy is to teach us how to deal with stressful situations by planning our meals & snacks in advance, but that's where I've fallen down really - not having time to plan.

Anyway, hope everyone is well out there. I'll pop over to http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25294-starting-march-1/ and see if we have any new recruits!

Night everyone...

. I have certainly fallen off the wagon, eating/drinking whatever I like, whenever I like, but I AM mindful of what I'm doing, and I know it's only a short while before I get back on that 'wagon' on March 1.

That's why learning to ride your own bike is so critical. We've got to get our habits squared away so we don't just bounce around on the peaks and valleys of either being 'on the program' or not.

I decided to go yogurt free this week and you know, my gut actually feels better.

Your gut is quite fickle! ;)

I made my dad homemade lasagna with both eggplant and zucchini noodles and it turned out awesome! He loved it and so did his girlfriend. I had two pieces. :) :) He ate all of his, albeit a small piece, but his appetite hasn't been that great.

Awesome!!

my bike is really wobbly this week guys! I feel awful- super stressed (mostly from the snow that seems to hit us every 3 days), sleeping like poo, nausea (the sort I used to get all the time pre-whole30), having sinus headaches and back/neck aches (I forgot I had these till they came back today), and super bloaty and foggy. Now- I've been eating dairy once every few days, gluten everyday, and peanuts every day this week. Plus a few sugary indiscretions (to which I attribute the awful headache I got yesterday).

It doesn't feel good! I want my whole30 energy back now. 

My plan is to clean it up for a few days until I start feeling better. Husband asked if we could do another Whole30 starting March 1st. So, we might just join you after all LeaC! He fell off around day 18 last time and saw huge changes. I thought my changes were more subtle, but today feels like night and day, and yesterday was worse. I want a redo on reintro. Now I'm wishing we'd just stayed the course for a Whole45 or 60. We were planning a kitchen reno for late February and I figured Whole30 + no kitchen= does not compute, but we've since decided to pay off our student loans instead (YAY!) and put our kitchen off until next spring.

Can you tell how whiny I am today <_<  I hate it! Definite mood shift too, I really need some good sleep and maybe *just a little* snow to melt, and not leak into my home 

Brownies - I LOVE, sunsoakeddreamer. With walnuts. After this month, I'm making some and YES licking the bowl and spatula. Speaking of which, last night my dad and I watched The Great British Baking Show (never heard of it before but methinks I will follow now) and OMG was it fun - and interesting and my mouth watered. I'm grateful I can watch PBS shows about baking scrumptious gourmet doughnuts and not feel deprived. Someday I will bake my own British doughnuts, damnit. One sweet contestant was only 17! So bright! And they also have one woman who looks around late 50s.... she rocks. And a very bright Indian woman who should have won last night's round if you ask me.

I might go ahead with another whole 30 in March............ 

so funny you should mention that- I caught a snippet of that show and was very interested, but of course husband had the remote at the time which means we were simultaneously watching 3 other shows (men!) so I didn't get to see much. I'll have to catch up on the reruns!

We might see you in March for Whole30 take 2

Hey All Second to last day of visit with my dad and all is well. I'm feeling tired today and think its body healing/changing still -- annnnd being in keto again. Not sure if I ever left keto as I've been eating very little fruit and only occasional acorn squash.This SIBO wiill take a while and it's touch and go but I'm now in a routine of herbal remedies (oregano, Pau d'Arco and Neem) and eating no dairy this week.

Kirkor, my gut is very fickle - and methinks I'm so used to feeling a certain way, i think it's "normal" to have bloaty, gurgly tummy, esp with SIBO gut. I reintro'd yogurt but didn't go back to strict whole30 after a few days (probably should have done that yah I know) and then when I get here and stop eating yogurt, my gut really makes a turn for the better. Like after two days, no pain, great shrinkage, great poops, very little gurgling, etc. Now that said, the yogurt didn't make it feel worse, and at first it really seemed to help (e.g. pooping normal again) but bec of the SIBO, my gut issues kept coming and going, much like IBS, yet on a steady healing track. THAT said, I have a tendency to overdo yogurt and think my gut needed a break. Sooooo, I will do a proper reintro when I get home next week.

And probably just go ahead and do another whole 30 in march, with leaC and sunsoakeddreamer. :)Re family whole 30 - that is RAD!! Also Re past episodes of the British baking show -PBS shows past episodes online. My dad said it made him crave a muffin/sweet bread/cake treat so I got him a blueberry muffin and apple turnover. He had half of the turnover yesterday and half today and loved it. The muffin is still in fridge. It is not so difficult keeping away - I think it's the fat in the food I'm eating. Feeling quite satiated. Also, it helps to know it would be like trying to throw a Frisbee with a broken arm to eat a muffin right now.

Hi Everyone - assuming there are others still out there!!?? Are we just communicating with Kirkor, Sunsoakeddreamer & bronnyd now, what happened to everyone else? 

Great to hear that SSD & BD are thinking of joining hubby and I on March 1st.

Sorry to hear things are just a bit :angry:  :angry:  :angry: SSD, it's hard to be perfect wouldn't you agree? I'm very much an all or nothing type of person. I was so proud of myself on the Jan 1 W30 - as far as I'm concerned, I was 99.999% perfect for the 30 days + the 14 days of reintro. HOWEVER, post re-intro and after I started noticing symptoms I didn't want to return, I lost my way knowing I'd be back on track on March 1. Not sure what the answer is going forward (post the next W30), but I suppose it 'will come to me' during the course of my next 'wholeness'! ^_^

SSD, sorry to hear you have to put off renovating your kitchen. I know it would be lovely to have a brand new kitchen to spend time in during your next W30. We spend so much time cooking on this journey, that an organised and sparkling new foor prep environment would make the time more enjoyable. BUT, you don't need anything fancy to be successful, do you SSD! You've done this before and all you really need is to be organised!

FYI I've also joined a  (Sourcing Food In Australia) thread http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5432-sourcing-food-in-australia/page-12  and I spoke about the Whole30 Emergency Food Kit from Barefoot Provisions Emergency Food Kit. which I discovered in the recent Wholesome #10 free newsletter. Unfortunately this wonderful 'back-up' kit isn't something we can purchase in Australia, so I'm on a quest to try and put my own kit together. I'm sure hubby will need back up supplies in certain situations where he can't access complant food.

Anyway, I suppose on this thread we should really be talking about re-intro phase and not what we plan on doing in a new phase or in our personal lives.

OMG - is it time to say goodbye to this thread..... :o

Ya, may be time to move on to other threads: group efforts can be tough to sustain. :-/

Those that the principles never really clicked for don't WANT to come back, those that incorporated stuff in to their lives are riding their own bike and don't NEED to come back, and then there's people like me who just sorta hangs around :)

OMG - is it time to say goodbye to this thread..... :o

Hi All  I think I will hang around for as long as possible and then move onto joining TWO fams for March Whole 30, leaC and SSD! Cool! I'm on long layover flying back from FL dad visit and you know what? I'm eating anything I want today. So there! That does not mean doughnuts and candy - but it DOES mean hazlenut latte with 1/2 hazelnut (omg yummmm), pizza, Caesar salad WITH croutons and glass of wine.... yup stuck at airport, and snow storm on its way, flight might be delayed what the hay? My tummy feels so good I can let myself have a day of eating airport food (knocking on head). 

LeaC I hear you about all or nothing - GOOD point about not being perfect. I have to remind self that this is about learning about the body, habits, pull of temptations, learning to ride own bike again, learning to listen.... I've been doing a preeettyyy good job of it. Any attempt at perfection defeats the purpose. Taking extra herbal remedies (esp oregeno and probiotics) and then right back on track tomorrow.

Kirkor, I think I'll be using Whole30 forums as well for quite a while, esp. since I'm incorporating keto/SC low FODMAP diet for an indefinite period. 

During the March Whole30 I won't be mentioning my herbal remedies as I'm not sure if they are Whole30 compliant. BUT my eating will be.

Hope you're having a great weekend everyone! 

Archived