Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

Hi Guys...

I haven't posted for a while and I'm afraid I've slipped back into some bad habits (mostly involving red wine & late night snacking afterwards!). I'm starting another whole30 on Monday 23rd Feb as I feel like I need to give myself another 30 days to sort out my issues with stress drinking and emotional eating.

Wish me luck!!!

Thanks, Maria*

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still here.  I'm glad to hear that many of you are starting a new Whole30 on March 1 or even earlier.  I guess, as Kirkor said, I'm learning to ride my bike.  My first Whole30 was so enlightening that I'm still experimenting and trying to find out what I can tolerate - but I am staying mostly Whole30 (if that makes sense).  But it feels good to know that whenever I feel I'm slipping too much, it's time for another Whole 7, 14 or whatever.  I also get a lot of support/info from my group at my workout facility since several have done the Whole 30 and a few continue it (mostly) 6 months later.  

Bronnyd, sorry to hear you are stuck in an airport - but those days can be fun (if they aren't too long).  Sounds like you are going to enjoy yourself.

I like to read the different Whole 30 forums because I find it just plain helps - and I live in Michigan where it's been so cold so have had "extra" indoor time.  I plan to "hang around" the forums as well.  I'm really enjoying my time in the kitchen and plan to order the new Whole30 cookbook.  

Best of luck to everyone starting a new Whole 30 soon!

Hey Kirkor, as you say it's probably time to move onto the March 1 forum (but I will check in on you guys from time to time).

Bronnyd, so glad you're joining us over there too! What a bummer you were stuck at the airport, I wish I was a fly on the wall as I know I'd have a chuckle at you simply enjoying life with no brakes for 24 hours! You're only human!

Hi Guys...

I haven't posted for a while and I'm afraid I've slipped back into some bad habits (mostly involving red wine & late night snacking afterwards!). I'm starting another whole30 on Monday 23rd Feb as I feel like I need to give myself another 30 days to sort out my issues with stress drinking and emotional eating.

Maria, good luck - wow, you're starting again tomorrow! If you haven't joined a new forum, join us at this one http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25294-starting-march-1/ and you'll just be a week ahead of us... I hear you re: stress drinking and emotional eating! Last night I had MUCH wine which of course leads to late night chocolate indulgences (which I usually don't yearn for)! :(

MartaK, glad to see you have such strength. Good luck on the rest of your journey!

As for me, I'm taking this week to plan menus, prep food & getting ready to coach hubby about the finer points of doing a Whole30 - after all, I'm an 'Advanced Member' now - LOL! :lol:

oh  (sorry for the post bomb here!!) forgot to add my soon to be SIL was asking me all about the Whole30 and is thinking of giving it a go. My MIL had expressed some interest too-- so we might get a family thing going in March. How cool is that?! 

Very cool! Get 'em on the forum! ;)

Sorry I haven't been posting lately, like everyone else, I'm super stressed out.  I've also been really sick for the past two weeks....

I've completed all my re-introductions and I think I finally have some answers.  I thought dairy was OK for me after I re-introduced it.  but about 4 days later my skin was completely broken out.  :(  I suffer from Keratosis Pilaris and nothing has ever been able to get rid of it.  The Whole30 helped quite a bit though!  But after dairy came back into play, my skin is back to it's ugly red bumpy texture.

Gluten made me gassy.  

I ate a ton of sugar this past weekend, and I'm not proud of it.  I had to bake cupcakes for work today, and I may have over tastetested my cream cheese frosting.  SOOOOOO GOOOD!!

I then got a phone call from my mom, telling me that she has to go in for surgery to remove a grapfruit sized tumor they found on her ovary.  :(  The first thing I did was reach for the chocolate covered almonds that my husband had stashed in the garage.

I'm back on track today though.

OHhh Poukiebear I'm sorry to hear about your mom and also your own illness past couple weeks!! I hope your mom finds healing without struggle.

Also really get how sugar can be a huge comfort. I have to admit that I did turn to chocolate during my dad visit - but not more than one dark square a day and it didn't seem to affect my gut. That said, there are those delayed reactions like the one your had, PB, with breaking out, so I'm staying aware. Chocolate can make me feel edgy and also break out. None of that yet.

I'm back to Whole30 eating now except for just a bit of parm cheese and dry curd cottage cheese on my eggplant parm I made yest. The day at Denver airport was hellafun! I had two lattes, one piece banana bread, a pulled pork burrito and sugar free snapple (never drink that stuff but it was green tea sweetened with aspartame, which is ok for SIBO) and the snapple was less expensive than the H2O so then I just used the bottle for water after). :)

The highlight of the eating part however was the personal pizza and two glasses of Montepulciano wine I had in an Italian restaurant, sitting by the window watching the snow storm. It was really REALLY GOOD and also affordable! WAY better than pizza hut and less expensive than a personal pizza at Mississippi Pizza where I live!! 

The best experience at the airport however, beside the awesome art they have there (I explored the whole place, riding trams, checking out art in different terminals - even the tram tunnels had art flashing by on the walls), was the people watching. I had a complete BLAST the last couple hours sitting against a wall and watching people walk by on those long conveyor belts. SO fun! I'd share stories, but this is a food forum, not a people watching forum. I did see a thin, slight middle-aged woman with a confident stride eating a HUGE ice cream cone. She glided by on the belt, rolling suitcase in one hand, huge vanilla waffle cone in the other and she also looked like she was having a bit of fun. Airports can be fun.

I love to travel. :)

My tummy is feeling a bit bloated again though after just one day of splurging - and methinks it was the milk in the lattes more than anything. Lactos feeds SIBO. Yesterday I got right back on track.

Been thinking of actually joining KetwhOle30 instead since I'm deliberately going keto and have been wanting to join that forum if it's still active. Am going to check it out. 

LeaC, if I do join KetwhOle30, I'll still drop in March Whole30 and say hi as I enjoy reading your, SSD's PB's, Marta's and other's posts. 

Keep on, everyone! One day at a time! XOXb

No problem Bronnyd, I understand. Actually I would have liked to go W30 Keto (because I've done Keto before), but I just can't bare to have to scrutinise every carb amount like I did when I went Keto last year. I actually had a spreadsheet where I entered everything I ate, I had columns for net carbs, fat, protein, etc, and you had to ensure you ate enough fat & protein - to a particular %, and as few carbs as possible - to an exact formula. It was EXHAUSTING keeping track of everything! That has been the beauty of W30, no carb or calorie counting - thank god! Will you have to carb count every day?

Hey Poukiebear, sorry to hear about your family's hard times. No wonder you're stressed! Don't worry, I don't have any excuses for going off track, but we can always get back on track, can't we! xx

OK I've made my decision - I'm going to do another W30 and completely remove dairy in March. AND I'm going keto as well. Already in keto anyhow and the dairy I'm eating doesn't seeeem to be affecting me, but at the same time, it could be in subtle ways. I'm dealing with a major chronic infection (SIBO) that I'm really working on clearing up so taking out dairy for timebeing. 

LeaC, I'm with you on appreciating the beauty and simplicity of W30 - three meals a day, no counting! I'm not being too scrutinizing with the carb/protein count. A while back I did make a basic spreadsheet to help me get started with a column for carbs, protein and fat for each meal and I've used this keto calculator to get a basic idea of healthy macronutrient ratio for my body.

Then after recording a couple days of meals, I had a pretty good idea of what/how much to eat and now I just  wing it. Just keeping the carbs/protein low and fat high. Got a pretty good idea of foods high in fat, low in carb/protein. Mac nuts (daily) and almonds (every other day), lots of kale/zucchini/eggplant/collards, lots of bacon/sausage, chicken soup, occasional steak/lamb chop, lots of celery root and ghee, coconut oil, bone broth 

I'm generally feeling better, losing weight/inches slowly because I can see it. I did weigh myself at my dad's and well, I was pleased with what I saw - but I'm not going there much because my brain attaches itself to weight and that's another reason why I like Whole30.

That said, I have been going back and forth with energy - some days high, some days really low - last couple days really low. Fighting some bug - the flu is upon us again and my joints have been aching, head feels a bit like it's in a helmet, but it doesn't really ache. Feels fluish. I did have a day of splurging just three days ago at airport... and could also be feeling a bit of "carb flu" so taking that all into consideration. I'm drinking my bone broth and just taking it a day at a time. Mornings are better after a good sleep and I'm sleeping really well.

Here's a GREAT site with all sorts of low carb and almost W30 compliant recipes. I'll only be sharing individual W30 compliant recipes in the March forum. 

Bronny, people on the March 1 thread are 'crying out' for support! Some have said it already sounds like an awesome group, and others are saying they have tried 2 or 3 W30's before and didn't get further then half way. I know I'll miss your wonderful stories if you don't particpate in that thread with me......are you on board? :) They will be very lucky ducks to have your support...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Do you have to do this re-introduction phase?

You do not have to do the reintro, no.  However at the end of 30 days you have the cleanest slate your body will likely ever get (barring additional Whole30s) so it's definitely a good time to test out foods and see how they affect you.

If you are planning on staying pretty close to Whole30 style and there is nothing you really want to reintroduce, you could take a read of the Slow Roll Reintroduction and see if that fits you better.

Archived