Missing comfort food in the winter

mars6412

I am on day 16 (whoo hoo!) of the Whole 30 and am starting to miss some warm-in-my-belly comfort food that I usually enjoy this time of year. Usually I love filling up on pasta or pizza, would love an idea of a good substitute or comfort food meals you all enjoy.

Thanks all!

• Administrators

There is nothing wrong with enjoying comforting, warm meals while on Whole30.  You might enjoy a good red sauce over some zoodles or a spaghetti squash (maybe topped with a runny egg for extra creaminess!).

I happen to really enjoy Well Fed "Pina Colada Chicken" made as a one dish meal with 2# of zucchini chopped up into it.  Creamy, fragrant, flavourful, satisfying.  There are some great soups that are comforting also.  And don't forget sipping on bone broth, one of my favourite ways to treat myself well!

It's a matter of finding what part of you wants to be comforted and hitting that up.  If it's warmth, soups, stews, chilis etc.  If it's camaraderie then make sure you sit down to really share a meal with someone.  

As you get further into your Whole30, your definition of "comfort" should also go through some changes and truly nourishing yourself with healthful foods is as comforting as it gets!  :)

I'm a little bit obsessed with the golden cauliflower soup and silky gingered zucchini soup from Well Fed 2. I made the golden cauliflower for dinner on Tuesday and had to talk myself down from staying up past my bedtime to make a second batch.

This chicken casserole from Empowered Sustenance is bigtime comfort food for me right now too. I leave out the peas and sub in about two cups of chopped broccoli. I've made it with both butternut and pumpkin puree and both ways are good, but I prefer the butternut since, to me, it's not as sweet as the pumpkin and I get more of the vinegar tang. It's also a pretty forgiving recipe--just eyeball, tinker, and add until it looks delicious.

Archived