Augie's Daily Log

Augie

I wanted to add that my next Whole30 will be an AIP, low histamine Whole 30 and I'll be incorporating elements of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet in it. This is the same thing I did for my last Whole30 and it seems to be working for me. During my last Whole 60 I discovered that nuts, nightshades, and eggs really don't agree with me. I also found out that I have histamine intolerance so I need to eat foods low in histamine. And I've been following the SCD because I have celiac disease and the SCD helps to heal that. The SCD and Whole30 have a lot of overlap but there are a few foods that are allowed on the Whole30 and aren't on the SCD. So I won't be eating those foods. Those foods are: potatoes (white or sweet), plantains, and jicama. There are other foods that aren't allowed like some squashes but I really don't eat those so I'm only concerned with avoiding the above foods. A big component of the SCD is eating homemade yogurt everyday. I won't be doing that because I don't tolerate dairy, or ferments (histamine) well, and it wouldn't be a Whole30 if I was eating yogurt. Ha

I'm also planning on keeping my servings of fruit low (1-2 small servings a day). More fruit than that really irritates my stomach. I tried cutting fruit out entirely on my last Whole 30, but it wasn't enough carbs for me and I wasn't feeling well. 

I'm looking forward to starting this again on February 1st! A Whole30 Super Bowl Sunday!

Just want to wish you the best of luck on your next Whole 30.  My stomach is also much better without the fruit.  Since you really don't eat starchy carbs, you probably need the fruit for both energy and mood.  Which fruits are you going to eat?

Good luck. I Thought my way of eating is challenging but reading thru your story ...you really have to watch it!...

Thank you! It actually isn't that hard. I'd rather feel better than eat those foods.  :)

Just want to wish you the best of luck on your next Whole 30.  My stomach is also much better without the fruit.  Since you really don't eat starchy carbs, you probably need the fruit for both energy and mood.  Which fruits are you going to eat?

Hi, Laurie!

Thank you! I'm looking forward to your email and hearing how you are doing. 

Yeah, my mood and energy are definitely better with a little fruit. I'm going to try to stay away from dried fruits, but other than that I'll eat whatever I feel like at the moment. I'm just going to limit the amount and the frequency. 

How is your Whole30 going? Is your last day sometime this week? Are you going to take a break and start another round?

I finished a Whole60 a couple of days ago and decided to have a couple of days off plan before I started another round. I didn't bother with doing a reintroduction because it was only for two days. I had some chocolate and french fries from In-n-out, and I felt like crap. Headache, stomach ache, body aches, nightmares, anxiety, and trouble sleeping. It was so not worth it but I'm actually grateful that I had this experience because it showed me how much eating this way is helping me. I have a lot of health issues and chronic illness so I've never experienced the tiger blood and awesome energy that others do, so sometimes it's hard to tell that this is really making a difference. But when I saw how horrible I felt off plan it really strengthened my resolve to keep with this.

I read in ISWF and in some other paleo type books that it can take at least 6 months of healthy eating to really heal your body when you have extreme health issues. So I'm going to shoot for a 6 month Whole30, but I'm going to take it one Whole30 at a time. I know if I tell myself that I'll be doing a Whole180 that I would get overwhelmed and be more likely to quit, and who knows maybe I won't need to do a Whole180. So, one month at a time. I'm looking forward to healing and getting really healthy. Maybe I'll have some tiger blood in August!  :D

Day 2

Breakfast- chicken, 1/2 apple, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots

Lunch - roast, canned pumpkin, kiwi, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, fennel

Dinner - chicken sausage, zucchini, celery, carrots, blueberries, 1/2 avocado

I was originally planning on keeping my fruit to two servings per day, but today I had three and it was good.

Day 3

Breakfast- yesterday's breakfast was so good I had it again today and I'm already looking forward to having it again tomorrow

Lunch - zoodles, blueberries, grass fed beef, carrots, celery, pumpkin

Dinner - roast, fennel, broccoli, carrots, cantaloupe

I'm feeling so much better eating fruit with all my meals. More energy plus better mood and fruit makes the rest of my food taste so much better. Yum

Day 5

Breakfast- roast, carrots, broccoli, Apple

Lunch - chicken sausage, cauliflower, strawberries

Dinner - grass fed beef, cabbage, cauliflower, 1/2 banana

Feeling good but had a lot of sugary cravings today. I thought I was past that.

Day 6

Today was hard! So many random cravings for diet coke (yuck!), nuts (I'm doing AIP so nuts are out), French fries, and all the Valentines candy in the grocery store today. I was really tempted, but I keep reminding myself how disappointed in myself I would be if I gave in. I reminded myself that cravings are only temporary. And I repeated to myself a phrase that really stuck with me from the Whole30 daily emails, "you are not going out like that". So I stuck with it and I'm proud of myself and the cravings are gone (at least for now).

Breakfast - chicken, carrots, cucumber, kale

Lunch - hamburger patty, pineapple, cucumber, avocado, lettuce mix

Dinner - chicken sausage, cauliflower, banana

Augie - as you know, the cravings do pass.  Thankfully, I have lost my cravings for fruit.  One night I wanted an orange so I ate a can of tuna instead.  To my surprise, it worked.  Large meals and lots of protein help kill the cravings .  "You are not going out like that" is a great phrase.  We need to focus on long term goals and health as opposed to immediate satisfaction (which isn't really a sense of satisfaction at all).

Today is day 32 for me - no fruit the entire time.  Had pistachio nuts 4 times (too much each time).   For my next 30 days, I'm ready to step up my game by sticking to 3 to 4 meals every day.  Pistachio nuts are off my island.  Nuts/seeds in a meal when out to eat or an occasional single serving squeeze packet of nut butter from Whole Foods will be allowed. Have not made any definite decisions about fruit but for now it's no fruit.  Thinking about starting a journal for further accountability.

Wow, Laurie! You deserve a big round of congratulations! Good job on going 30+ days without fruit! That is a major accomplishment! Good job! So are you doing a whole 60 now? And are you thinking of keeping a journal on here? Let me know! I'd love to read it!

I'm also impressed that you can eat nuts moderately. That's hard to do. I had literally just 3 or 4 nuts on one of my days off after my Whole60 and within minutes I had a terrible stomachache, and within a few hours my skin turned red and it stung and my lips were swollen. So definitely no nuts for me! Ha! It's crazy to think that I was regularly eating something that I'm clearly allergic to. I'm still craving nuts despite that, but when I found out I have celiac it took three months withou gluten for the cravings to really go away. So I'll just give it time.Fortunately I'm able to handle small amounts of fruit without stomach issues now. It makes the Whole30 so much easier.

So how are you feeling? I'm curious if you've experienced tiger blood? I can't wait to feel that but I feel like that might take awhile for me. Ha

Day 7

Phew, the cravings really dissipated today. So glad. Although still craving nuts. Especially almond butter.

Breakfast - chicken, blackberries, mixed greens

Lunch - chicken, celery, cauliflower, zucchini

Dinner - turkey, Apple, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage

Day 8

Breakfast- chicken sausage, applesauce, cauliflower

Lunch- steak, pumpkin, carrots, cabbage

Dinner - no dinner, was feeling ill

Day 9

Breakfast - steak, carrots, cabbage, pumpkin

Lunch - artichoke, avocado, hamburger patty, melon cup

Dinner - chicken, mixed greens, grapes

Day 10

Today was a bad day. I made some bad choices. I ate some nuts and made myself pretty sick. I took an anti-histamine and I'm doing better but my skin on my face, neck, and chest is so red I look sunburned. Why did I do this? I've been doing so well and I know that nuts make me sick. I know it doesn't do for me to beat myself up. I need to just move forward, learn my lessons, and make better choices. I'm not sure if I should start my Whole30 over tomorrow or just keep going. I'm leaning towards just keep going and making day 11 (tomorrow) a better day.

So I've thought about it and I'm not starting over. I was still within the rules of Whole30, just not my Whole30. But the main reason I'm not starting over is that I don't think it would be good for my mindset. I know me and I could see myself saying, "oh, I'll just eat this chocolate and start over tomorrow," and that wouldn't be good for me. If I'd had sugar or dairy or grains I would start over, but I didn't so I'm just going to get my head on straight so I can move forward.

Day 14

I haven't had nuts again. Which I am very proud of myself for. But I have started overeating fruit again. Like, a lot. And my stomach and skin are really upset with me. I'm having such a hard time with moderation and the sugar dragon lately. So, I'm cutting fruit out for this week (February 15-21). I'm hoping this will give me a little reset. My doc explained that even the sugar in fruit feeds the candida in my stomach which makes the cravings worse. Last time I went without fruit I lasted ten days. I just couldn't keep it up because my energy was so low. So I'm going to add some starchy veggies to my diet this week. Wish me luck! :)

How is my friend Augie?  Sorry I have not responded to your last few posts. 

Instead of starting a journal, I am posting my meals in the Return of the Dirty 30 thread.  I find the accountability very helpful and my goal is to post meals for 30 days.  I did not take a break after this last Whole 30 but I made a mistake.  My canned tuna contained soy which is not allowed so I am calling my Jan 7th starting date  a "Laurie's Whole 35" and now doing a Whole 30.  After this, I will reevaluate how I would like to proceed but this way of eating definitely will be my lifestyle. 

Nuts and Fruit - I can't eat either in moderation but I think fruit has a greater affect on me - mood and cravings.  I wish I could be "normal" with food but I am not.  Whole 30 gets me so much closer to normal.

I support you in your decision to just keep going after your nut issue.  You ate compliant food and you recognize you have a problem so you are on the right track.  No reason to start over. 

If you are not eating fruit, you definitely need some starchy carbs.  I know you were not really eating them before.  Do they give you stomach aches or were you just trying to go very low carb? 

Tiger Blood - I have never experienced tiger blood and I don't think I ever will.  I suffer from depression and take antidepressants.  The combination of depression and body image issues has caused me a lot of grief. (I was going to write about this in a private email to you.)  I am on the lean side but I just can't seem to feel good about myself.  I just might not have the proper brain chemistry to support tiger blood.

Think about posting in the Return of the Dirty 30 thread.  I can't speak highly enough about the group - so much love, support, motivation and inspiration.

I am wishing you lots of luck for a very successful and happy week!  We will help each other get through the rough times.

I'm sorry I haven't posted for so long. Thank you so much for your concern and I'm so sorry that I worried you. I've been ill and had to pause my whole30. I'll be starting again in a few weeks and I'll begin posting again.

Archived