Ways to get enough fat without coconut or avocado

EmilyK

Hi!  I'm fervently researching prior to beginning my first whole30, and my husband has expressed interest in joining me on this journey.  I'm concerned about his ability to get enough fat, though, as he has some pretty extreme texture aversions and absolutely WILL NOT eat avocado, coconut, or mayonnaise. 

Obviously the best answer would be for him to work through those aversions. But failing that, where are other good ways to ensure adequate fat intake while doing the whole30?

Thanks!

First off, homemade mayo is nothing like store bought mayo.  I rarely ate mayo before my Whole30, and now I always have homemade on hand.   So, I first encourage him to try that.

Ghee and clarified butter comes to mind for alternative fats, as does olives.  Duck fat, tallow and lard are other cooking fat options. Nuts and seeds should only be used sparingly.

He could also get fats from egg yolks, fatty fish (e.g., salmon) and steak.

• Administrators

Whole eggs, fattier cuts of meat, mayo mixed in with chicken/tuna/salmon salad, sesame oil drizzled over veggies, lard or tallow to cook in, olive oil vinagarettes, olives by the fist full (that's my personal fave!).  Skin on chicken (properly raised is best).  Nuts & nut butters in moderation (they can cause digestive upset).  Compliant bacon in moderation.

Maybe try avocado whole/sliced rather than squished up for guac? Coconut milk in a curry is good and the coconut flavour is not noticeable.

I appreciate the suggestions.  :)

I guarantee he will NOT try any form of mayo.  The fact that he's even considering jumping on this with me is a huge accomplishment, as he currently pretty much lives on Mountain Dew and Frosted Mini Wheats and chicken nuggets.  *eye roll*

He will happily eat meat and a pretty wide variety of veggies.  But he hates coconut and has never been amenable to trying any form of avocado, either, and his texture prejudice against mayo is just too strong.  Maybe as the month goes on and he becomes more open minded, but right off the bat there is no way.  Hah.

Is it possible to get a template-quantity of fat for each meal with just added cooking fats and fat in eggs and meat?  I am going to splurge for properly raised meats--especially if he can jump on board with me and I don't need to budget within a regular grocery trip as well.  I'm about halfway through "It Starts With Food" right now and I was getting the impression that it's difficult to get enough fat without mayo, avocado, or coconut.  If I'm wrong, that's great!

• Administrators

Is it possible to get a template-quantity of fat for each meal with just added cooking fats and fat in eggs and meat?  I am going to splurge for properly raised meats--especially if he can jump on board with me and I don't need to budget within a regular grocery trip as well.  I'm about halfway through "It Starts With Food" right now and I was getting the impression that it's difficult to get enough fat without mayo, avocado, or coconut.  If I'm wrong, that's great!

You totally can do enough fat with the cooking fats and protein fats.  It will take some diligence on your part.  You can always drizzle extra oil over cooked veggies.  

Make sure if you are getting those well raised animals that you eat the skin and whatever fat comes with them, no cutting it off or throwing it out!

The skin is my favorite part.  NO WAY I will toss that out.  :-D

I am super thrilled that he seems interested in joining me on this whole30, and I want it to be as comfortable as possible for him--it will be a MAJOR overhaul to his diet, which he desperately needs, but he has always been incredibly picky and I don't want him to get scared off and not reap the benefits of a program like this because he's picky.  We've been making progress overall, but he's definitely a sugar-and-carb-and-processed food-aholic, especially when he's left to his own devices.

• Administrators

The skin is my favorite part.  NO WAY I will toss that out.  :-D

I am super thrilled that he seems interested in joining me on this whole30, and I want it to be as comfortable as possible for him--it will be a MAJOR overhaul to his diet, which he desperately needs, but he has always been incredibly picky and I don't want him to get scared off and not reap the benefits of a program like this because he's picky.  We've been making progress overall, but he's definitely a sugar-and-carb-and-processed food-aholic, especially when he's left to his own devices.

You probably want to be aware of the timeline then and also know that if he is as big into sugar, carbs and processed foods as you say he is, he could have a really rough first couple of weeks.  The starchy veggies and lots of fat are going to be his best friends.  That processed food is designed to hit the pleasure/reward centres of the brain really hard and healthy, whole foods are not at all like that.  Adding the fat, lots of flavour (including salt, especially as he comes off the processed foods that are SO sodium heavy) and starchy veggies for carbs are going to ease his transition.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I have seen that.  I am very comfortable with seasonings and flavors, and he has actually continually been shocked over the course of eating what I cook about how FLAVORFUL real foods can be, and am really excited to be doing this for myself.  I've been slipping some lately but I expect his detox period to be really rough which is why I want to make this as comfortable as possible overall so he doesn't just give up.

I've learned a ton from these forums and from the book so far, and can't really wait to start making these changes and discoveries for myself and my own body.

You probably want to be aware of the timeline then and also know that if he is as big into sugar, carbs and processed foods as you say he is, he could have a really rough first couple of weeks.  The starchy veggies and lots of fat are going to be his best friends.  That processed food is designed to hit the pleasure/reward centres of the brain really hard and healthy, whole foods are not at all like that.  Adding the fat, lots of flavour (including salt, especially as he comes off the processed foods that are SO sodium heavy) and starchy veggies for carbs are going to ease his transition.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Exactly what I was going to say.  He is going to get hit hard in detox so definitely take ladyshanny's advice and give him plenty of fat, salt, starchy vegs and lots of seasoning.  You seriously will have a hard time overdoing it when you use good fats.  Good luck!

My husband was a AM/PM gas station 7-11 fast food junkie and I have converted him to this lifestyle to the point that roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and cranberries is his favorite veggie dish. One trick I have found to tone down the taste of coconut oil that hasn't been processed to remove the taste is to be sure to add salt. It is amazing how it takes it right out! We don't do a lot of avocado since it can be expensive this time of year, so we depend on olives, olive oil, fattier cuts and the like for our fats. Does he like creamy dressings (thinking maybe not with his mayo aversion) but that is how I got hubby to eat mayo was making creamy italian dressing. Good luck! If my husband can make and survive the switch, I think your hubby can too--at least he is willing to give it a go!

SpinSpin, thank you.  That's pretty much how my husband eats, and that is very heartening. :)

He won't eat anything creamy.  But I may try the coconut oil bit, it's taken a long time but he generally trusts what I cook now.  I may be able to use that to my advantage with this.  ;)

Archived