Brewer5: Keto 2015

Brewer5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meadow, if you see cashews and dates show up HERE -- you know I am completely off my rocker!   :lol:

Okay, the squirrel pics are funny... but I did not go nuts with nuts.  I ate 1.5 oz. of sunflower seeds... because that was literally all I had.  If there had been more in the house... that may have been dangerous.  I admit it.

Meadow, if you see cashews and dates show up HERE -- you know I am completely off my rocker!   :lol:

Okay, the squirrel pics are funny... but I did not go nuts with nuts.  I ate 1.5 oz. of sunflower seeds... because that was literally all I had.  If there had been more in the house... that may have been dangerous.  I admit it.

If I catch Larabars on your breath... 5-1-5-0    I'm calling the Kirkor POPO

cop-writing-ticket.jpg

If I catch Larabars on your breath... 5-1-5-0    I'm calling the Kirkor POPO

That reminds me:  kirkor, I'd love for you to post the picture of the dragon with the necklace of Larabars.  That was awesome.  I wish I was so handy with the photoshop skills... or whatever the kids are using nowadays.  lol

That reminds me:  kirkor, I'd love for you to post the picture of the dragon with the necklace of Larabars.  That was awesome.  I wish I was so handy with the photoshop skills... or whatever the kids are using nowadays.  lol

0GZKgdU.jpg

I would like to see toenails made out of dates.

I'm not that advanced, sorry :-/

Day 5 was pretty boring here on my bicycle.  Almost compliant, except for that pesky bacon.   ;)

FBG:  99

AM Ketones:  4 green

Vitamin D3:  700 IU

M1:  eggs (4), kale, bacon (3), 2T collagen in my coffee

post-workout:  pork chop

M2:  turkey burger, bacon (2), spinach, homemade mayo

M3:  turkey burger, homemade mayo, broccoli, coconut oil/ghee, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

Yes.  The kids and I made a special trip to the store so I could buy roasted & salted sunflower seeds.  There, I said it.

What's funny to me -- is the rush of memories I got, walking into this particular store, where the kids and I used to go to buy candy bars when I first quit smoking.  It was sort of a big deal to go to Walgreen's and pick out a candy bar because Mom was in a funk and she was trying to dig herself out with chocolate.  Yep... we did that for awhile.  

But not tonight.

Then, on the way home, I snuck a glance at the flashing sign outside of Culver's, which announces the "Flavor of the Day" for their ice cream.  We used to do that, too, for a little while.  Today was Rocky Road.  Which sounds like just exactly what it is:  a rocky road on which I do not want to travel.

So, for tonight, I'm gonna call my sunflower seeds a win.  

Edited to add activity:  5/3/1 Deadlifts today.

One thing we haven't talked about much is strength training.  I have now finished reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney & Volek.  I thought I would have a clear understanding when I finished it, but it is very technical and I admit that some of it was a bit too deep and over my head.

I have been patient throughout this process.  My first 30 keto days, I backed off my strength training quite a bit.  It wasn't really a conscious choice, it just sort of happened.  I cut back from close to an hour in the garage on the advanced pages of Strong Curves -- to doing the 5/3/1 "I'm Not Doing Jack Shit" program.  In and out of the garage in around 10 minutes each day.

Then, as I introduced more carbs again, I just naturally found myself wanting to do more sets.  Again, this wasn't planned this way -- I am just making an observation that this is what happened.  I switched over to the "Big But Boring" 5/3/1 program -- which is quite a bit of extra work at the end of the regular INDJS program.  And I enjoyed that.

Until this round of keto again, after the holidays.  Yes, I've been busy with other things -- but once again, have cut back my training.  And it happens in a subconscious sort of way.  Is my body and mind trying to conserve precious energy?  I don't know.  What I do know is that I simply do not have the desire to go out there and work like I used to.  And so, I feel like I am possibly losing some strength during this time... or at least not making any huge gains.  Which is ok.  But I don't want to lose strength.

kirkor, what have you noticed?  Do you still think you are consuming too much protein, so maybe not in ketosis all the time?  I guess I don't know how much of a lifter you are, but I'd like to hear how things have gone for you.  And what do you do post-workout?  I have just been having a regular meal or maybe just some protein.

I dunno, Day 6 here on my bicycle?

FBG:  97

AM Ketones:  6 green

Vitamin D3:  800 IU

M1:  eggs (4), kale, coconut oil/ghee, 2T collagen in my coffee

M2:  can of Polar tuna, spinach, homemade mayo, (2) brazil nuts, garlic stuffed green olives, coconut manna

M3:  chicken thighs, broth, a few cooked carrots & onions, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

5/3/1 Bench Press today.

I vow to mix things up today.

I don't know what that means, exactly -- I shall see what the day brings.  But when I type out my food tonight, it will not include coconut manna or sunflower seeds.  My days are looking and feeling just a tad bit...  Groundhog Day-ish.   ^_^

A week on my bike, and I decided to pull off to the side of the road tonight and have some carbs.

My two youngest have gone to stay with my sister for a couple of days (this NEVER happens -- my kids are ALWAYS here), so that leaves me and my oldest here to work on painting their room while they are gone.

I knew it was going to be a long, hard couple of days, trying to rush to get it all finished and put back together before they come home.  And this room involves tearing down the border that I so lovingly put up 10 years ago when I was making that room into a nursery for babies.  

I swear, I will never put border or wallpaper up in any room of any house, ever again.  Never.

So we've been working hard, there is still much to do, and I had a night of carbs.  This is all part of my experiment.  Now I can show the world how long it will take me to get back to my usual numbers.

Hey:  This day did not include any coconut manna or sunflower seeds.   :)

FBG:  96

AM Ketones:  8 green

Vitamin D3:  900 IU

M1:  eggs (3), kale, coconut oil/ghee, bacon (3), MCT & ghee in my coffee (over-poured the MCT, made myself nauseous for the first time, lol)

M2:  chicken thighs, broth, a few cooked carrots, more coffee with ghee & coconut oil (no more MCT for me today, thank you!)

M3:  ordered Pollo Loco to go:  chicken breast, some sort of red sauce, refried beans, rice, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, corn tortillas, tortilla chips, salsa.  And a small bowl of chocolate/PB/banana ice cream.  

Thoughts about the carbs so far:  Feeling fine, actually -- went straight back to working it off -- belly very full, made me thirsty.  Heart was pounding a bit, but that didn't last too long.  I can't decide if that happens from sugar, chocolate, or both... but that is not something I have experienced in the past 37 days or so.

Another observation:  I enjoy being FULL sometimes.  Like, really full.  I know it's not great to stuff yourself, but I like to be able to truly go the rest of the evening and not even think about needing to eat anything else.  It's 1:25am, I still have work to do in the boys' room before I can go lie down, and I am just not even remotely hungry.

kirkor, what have you noticed?  Do you still think you are consuming too much protein, so maybe not in ketosis all the time?  I guess I don't know how much of a lifter you are, but I'd like to hear how things have gone for you.  And what do you do post-workout?  I have just been having a regular meal or maybe just some protein.

I've been tracking, so when I say my protein is high, I still know it's not *too* high. It's just frustrating to get the ratios right, and if I wasn't tracking I think I'd *definitely* be going too high and entering gluconeogenesis territory. Some people on reddit say the concern is overblown, but especially since I'm a keto noob I want to do it as right as possible.

I'm not lifting a lot right now, just calisthenics-type stuff and playing around with a kettlebell, pull-ups, etc. I typically train fasted, so my post-workout meal is just a regular meal. I'm planning on staying SKD for another month or so, and that will jive well with when I'll be able to start lifting regularly again, at which point I'll start playing with a TKD.

Another observation:  I enjoy being FULL sometimes.  Like, really full.  I know it's not great to stuff yourself, but I like to be able to truly go the rest of the evening and not even think about needing to eat anything else.  It's 1:25am, I still have work to do in the boys' room before I can go lie down, and I am just not even remotely hungry.

This continues to get me. Part of the reason why I think IF has worked so well for me is that I have a hella big appetite, and for years have enjoyed that full feeling of eating like a king. I can do some damage to a buffet, for real. I still haven't had what I read about from a lot of keto'ers: "OMG keto just makes my hunger disappear!!"

Right, I don't feel that we "need" post-workout carbs...  Hmmm, I'm not sure how to take what I am thinking and put it into words.  But I'll try.

I wonder if -- when I eat keto -- I am also, unintentionally, eating less calories overall... due to decreased appetite, increased satiety...  And this is fine and dandy for my overall daily life of homeschooling and standing in the kitchen...  But, when I go to the garage and want to move some very heavy weight around, I reach the point where my body and mind say "that's enough" ...sooner than I normally would when just eating "normally" (norm for me, in a summed-up version would be:  carbs at night, whenever I really want them).

I don't think this is something anyone else can answer for me...  I think I am just going to have to continue my experiments and see what I can sort out.

If the answer is:  I need to eat more calories in general...  I am just dead serious that I don't know if I can do that eating keto all the time.  Maybe these carb re-feeds are way more than a psychological break -- but also a way for me to "turn on" those signals that make me want to stuff myself and not care one bit how many grams or calories I am consuming.  I mean, we all know that carbs do that.  I am at a level of leanness where maybe that is exactly what I "need" to do to make this work for me long-term.

What about just upping your calories on the days you lift?

And have you look at the TKD guidelines?

Although experimentation is encouraged, most individuals find that 25-50 grams of carbohydrates taken thirty minutes before a workout enhance performance.

I was skimming the Phinney/Volek "Performance" book you just read, and they mention that increased carbs doesn't do anything for muscle building assuming protein levels are adequate. And if anything extra is needed it'd more likely be leucine as opposed to carbs.

Archived