Brewer5: Keto 2015

Brewer5

I wouldn't necessarily say that dairy on keto is compensating for carbs. A lot of people come to keto from strictly a weight-loss standpoint, so they wouldn't have the perspective on dairy that we in the paleo/Whole30 realm do. And to keep the dairy keto-friendly, most opt for low-sugar options like heavy cream and cheese vs. stuff like milk or yogurt.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp.   That's the one that I would opt for...heavy cream.   It is my trigger and the bane of my pre W30 life. 

Coffee and heavy cream. coffee.gif  Whopping boatloads of heavy cream turned into buttloads of lard.  rofl3.gif

It's really not very funny kickbutt.gif  because I've paid consequences for those choices.  kickcan.gif

MeadowLily, I have thought about your heavy cream several times and I wonder if you were consuming a lot of carbohydrate during this same time.  Because I don't believe it is the heavy cream that caused you to gain weight... as much as it was consuming all of that fat while also consuming a lot of carbs.  That is an absolute recipe for fat storage.

I have not dropped off the face of the Earth, but I am way too tired to post my food or anything today.  Tomorrow is going to be very busy here, too.  I will catch up eventually.  ;)

Whew, yesterday was just a non-stop painting marathon, and I am not even kidding.  I had a headache a large part of the day, which could be from lack of sleep, bunch of carb food the night before, paint fumes, or D) all of the above.  I finally took an ibuprofen, which I just do not do very often.  

I'm not even going to worry about posting my food -- it was all compliant except for some ketchup on my burger.  When you haven't had a shower in days, the meticulous food-posting goes down a bit on the priority list.   :rolleyes:

As I said, FBG and ketones were 97 and 6 green.  Nothing exciting there.  And I did remember to take my D3 -- I am up to 1000 IU now, without causing a headache.  Yesterday I had the headache long before I took that.

My kids are coming home today!  Plus we are going to be babysitting the neighbor's little girl, who is just a year old.  So... gotta run...  I have so much to do.  I still have to put their room back together and DE-LEGO the living room.   :blink:

Nope.  I've never been a big carb eater.   Pizza, sandwiches, no white or brown rice,  bowls of pasta and bread, taco shells, muffins, donuts...nope.  Nadda.  Zip.

I went an entire year without a single bread crumb.  A year without bread and sugar, except what was natural in berries.

Here's where it all went off the rails.    I started drinking coffee and heavy cream.  It went from a couple of cups to a pot....with heavy cream.   The lard stacked on like a fast moving train.   I was hooked on coffee and could not drink it plain.   I stacked on lbs  with heavy cream.   It's not been easy to release it either.

I would take fish for my lunch with a bag of vegetables.   I cooked the vege in the micro and ate my fish.   This was during the time the weight piled on.   I ate a great salad in the evenings with beef, pork or more fish.   There was no nut eating or dried fruits.    The fruits I picked were frozen berries because I could take those to work.  I did eat some yogurt but it was always plain.   No sugar.  I always threw a few raw pumpkin seeds on top of plain yogurt.

Heavy cream.  

For every year I drank this much coffee and cream, it feels like it's taking a certain amount of months to remove each heavy cream pound.   Blood sugar when whacky and so did everything else.   

I've known about carbs for quite awhile.   I didn't eat white potatoes either.   Jacked my BS up in a flash.   Coffee and cream did something to my adrenals.   Everything slowed down to a crawl.   I'm giving up coffee.

I quit the black tea because I know this is way too acidic going forward.   Coffee and tea are beginning to feel like battery acid.  It has to go.  These bitter alkaloids have got to go.

Lily, thanks for sharing.  I don't know why you delete things like this, though.  There's a lot to learn from stories like yours.  :)

So... you began drinking a lot of coffee, after not having been a coffee drinker?  I gotcha.  All of the heavy cream PLUS all of that coffee.  I can't imagine drinking that much coffee, and like you said, what it would do to my adrenals.  

I was raised on coffee (probably started drinking it in middle or high school).  I've quit completely several times before.  Now I have a great water-processed decaf that I love:

http://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Don-Pablo-Decaffeinated-Medium-dark/dp/B00D5GGNRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423339503&sr=8-1&keywords=don+pablo+decaf

And that is mostly what I drink.  I have been phasing out the caffeine little by little since this last Whole 30.  I generally don't "need" it, and if I do feel I "need" it -- I can pinpoint something else that is really what I need.  Sleep.  A break.  Food.  Lots of things, but probably never truly "needing" caffeine.  ;)

Have you and Kirkor ever tested yourselves to see what coffee/tea does to your blood sugars?    I think it's coffee as a whole unit...not just the caffeine but other elements that make it what it is .....my Big Kahuna of delish.  Something so yummy, fantastic, and terrific.

I do not make any plans for the food explosions that are going to happen after  Whole 30's.   It doesn't have to rain taco chips and I don't let potato chips sweep me off my feet.

I love letting my feet hit the floor and running for the coffee maker.    

Just thinking about giving up coffee...big crocodile tears were rolling down my face as I wrote that.  I might have to throw myself over the bed and have a good cry.  

large.gif?w=468

I was starting today....but I'm working myself up into acting really pouty like Scarlett.   

If I ever feel the need to cut out the coffee/tea completely again, it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on my FBG.  For right now, that is not on my list of things to do.  So let me know what your experiment reveals, please.  :)  When will you be doing this?

Just thinking about giving up coffee...big crocodile tears were rolling down my face as I wrote that.  I might have to throw myself over the bed and have a good cry.  

large.gif?w=468

I was starting today....but I'm working myself up into acting really pouty like Scarlett.   

I hear you, even decaf probably has bad things about it.  Even water-processed decaf, without the chemicals.  I really enjoy making mine each morning, too.  And lately, a cup of green tea in the afternoon.  I have to be careful... I am pretty sensitive to both.

But why not start to wean youself with decaf?

http://body.io/body-io-fm-46-chris-kresser-ancestral-functional-medicine/

MeadowLily and kirkor, I have been thinking of posting this for a couple of days.  I listened to it while painting, and it really made me think of you guys and all that we've discussed here re: ketogenic diets and carbs.  

If you have time to listen, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  :)

I did listen and I took notes.

It was a very common sense approach.  Adelle Davis was one of the first pioneers and visionaries in the field of nutrition.

I read all of her books as a young kid.  Most of them are all out of print now.  I think mine are collector's items according to amazon.  She was an out-spoken believer in the healthful diet as the key to well-being.

While some of my friends were reading Nancy Drew,  I was always reading health and medical books.  I think primarily because so many of my relatives were unhealthy...and still are - I wanted answers.

I liked what he said about epigenetics.  I can tell you that I had great grandparents that were practically starving to death.   I have handwritten stories that I could post that have been passed down through my family with their accounts of starvation.   They're very sad stories and have first/last names - so I won't post those....I would have to immediately delete them.  :unsure: 

As he said, our DNA hardwiring is an important factor for turning off specific genes.  I've already had  DNA testing and I know what/who my ancestral roots  are. 

Starvation in families affects the 2nd and 3rd generations.....the kids can have shorter life spans than the parents.   He related that no one size fits all.   Over arching umbrellas can be so potent and cause confusion.

Real food carbs can give optimum health to women with hormone imbalances.    Keto is highly effective for cancer, dementia, SIBO,  AIP, autism spectrum, epilepsy and those who need weight loss.

As he related, long term Keto may not be good for other people.   There are the extreme camps - all carbs are evil poisons...never to be eaten again vs. using them for therapeutic performance enhancing tools.

To carb or not to carb is now a very polarizing controversy.   Most people become overwhelmed.  On the same hand, people like to be told what to do and how to follow instructions.   It's easier than figuring out the individual plan that should be tailored for each person.

I liked what he said about adrenal fatigue....to shift towards more REAL FOOD CARBS as you go throughout the day.   Low carb in morning and more towards the end of day.   

He talked about the non-responders or hard gainers resistant trainers.   People think they have to make harder-longer-faster tweaks....or seriously dial it down to the nub.

Our DNA does weave messages into our genes.  We are very unique and different.   My ancestors practically starved to death on a reservation.   So I think my body probably does react to foods different than some others might.   There are those with grandparents who were starving during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl Days.   Their plight just might be affecting some of you out there.   We all have an ancestral history.   

He talked about northern Sweden and their periods of starving and gorging.   The grandchildren had shorter life spans.   As he said,  most people do not worry about epigenetics when they're having children or the affects on them going forward.    

It is an interesting thought for me to think about what the Mickey Dee hardwiring will do to the new generations.   Will their lifetime be shorter based on Maw and Paws choices to go throught the drive-thru?

What I see is the pendulum swinging wildly back and forth right now.   We've lost our way and become a society of drones that eat whatever's put in front of us.   There is a baggage and a liability from that way of living.   Paleo is the new label that is a simple term aligned with health.    It is classic to eat low toxicity whole foods.  Paleo is a branding that most people can understand.

Food really does matter.   The pendulum is swinging from rigidly informed to less hysteria over every food choice and really finding our own individual balance.   

Adelle Davis was saying the same things many years ago.   "Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit",  "Let's Cook It Right" and "Let's Have Healthy Children".  

I like instructions but finding our own individual balance takes some thought and practice, practice, practice.

Long term keto is not for me.   I need real food carbs to balance myself out.   There's too much starvation in my ancestral background.    No one size fits all.   Our genetics may be a liability or baggage that needs the gentle approach.  

http://body.io/body-io-fm-46-chris-kresser-ancestral-functional-medicine/

MeadowLily and kirkor, I have been thinking of posting this for a couple of days.  I listened to it while painting, and it really made me think of you guys and all that we've discussed here re: ketogenic diets and carbs.  

If you have time to listen, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.   :)

Dang, should I fast-forward?  I sat through the first 25 minutes and was bored out my skull. :huh:

Please excuse me for a bit while I do some off-roading.  There has been a death in the family, and we are dropping everything, packing up, and driving to Kansas.

I am going to lovingly tuck my monitors away in a drawer, and pull them out once we're home and I am ready to do keto experiments again.

I won't be able to stay away completely...  I would miss my friends here too much.   I will probably pop in from time to time and share whatever dumb things I am doing to myself on vacation.  ;)

Day 1 of this trip went well. I ate some grass-fed butter for breakfast & put the collagen powder in my coffee. That lasted me until afternoon when we stopped at IHOP and I got to have a glorious Colorado Omelette. Tons of meat, some cheese & lots of green peppers in there. I said no thanks on the onions since I have *definitely* pinpointed those as trouble for my stomach. That was super filling & I was a happy girl, getting to have that omelette.

Much later, down the road, bought a seltzer water & sunflower seeds at the gas station while I let the kids get ice cream. Yup, that was tempting but I decided if I am going to have ice cream it better be damn good & worth it.

For a late supper, I had a chicken bacon Swiss from Arby's (no bun) on a big bed of spinach we brought from home. Gluten involved there, breading, deep-fried-ness, but no joke we had not been to Arby's in 2.5 years and I decided it was worth it. 2 glasses of Merlot that should have been one, and I was out like a light. A good day considering that we are on a sad trip.

MeadowLily, love all of the mama tiger pics. This mama tiger is almost home with the little ones and back to reality. Which I am not looking forward to. ...On the other hand, tired of living out of our car and going from hotel to hotel. Can't say I am tired of restaurant food. It's been a nice break from the kitchen.

Archived