Can I eat canned black beans?

• Moderators

I would not trust that canned black beans have been soaked and rinsed properly.

Lentils need to be soaked and rinsed too.

Here is a link to a good explanation of soaking and rinsing. Another good resource is the Weston A. Price Foundation.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/soaking-grains-nuts-legumes/

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am really confused the Vegetarian/ Vegan shopping list seemed to change overnight and there is no beans or lentils listed. There is no protein at all for vegans. I want to start the plan because of a gut problem but am worried about what I am going to be able to eat for protein. Thanks for the forum rules didn't know them. Most recipes have meat in them, the whole plan seems geared only towards people that eat meat. Can you help, people are talking about recipes with yogurt, tofu, beans, etc, they are not on the list. Being new I just don't know what to think!

• Moderators

Hi, I am really confused the Vegetarian/ Vegan shopping list seemed to change overnight and there is no beans or lentils listed. There is no protein at all for vegans. I want to start the plan because of a gut problem but am worried about what I am going to be able to eat for protein. Thanks for the forum rules didn't know them. Most recipes have meat in them, the whole plan seems geared only towards people that eat meat. Can you help, people are talking about recipes with yogurt, tofu, beans, etc, they are not on the list. Being new I just don't know what to think!

Hi, Bunnygirl -- there's a new Whole30 book coming out soon, and I'm guessing that's why the changes in the shopping lists, to match up with that. Until we can actually read the book and get more clarification, I think you'd be okay to use the old shopping list, since that's what anyone who has already started a vegetarian Whole30 would be using.

(You might find this article helpful in understanding the Whole30 stance on vegetarianism -- the Hartwigs do believe that meat from a variety of sources is the best source of protein for health, but understand that not everyone is willing to eat meat, and so they developed the Whole30 veg*n plan to highlight the best possible choices for vegetarians/vegans.)

Shannon, Thank you so much for how quickly you answered. I must confess I have never done this before, a true newbie.

I had come to a similar conclusion, but what bothers me is the fact that they changed the list just before releasing the new book. There must be a reason for doing this. It doesn't seem as though they would only partially change it, this may be the completed new list to go with the new book. My sister in Texas, who is on it, said they changed the omni list as well. My plan is to wait til it comes out and browse the veg sections of both books. But the problem I can't shake is the reason they would make the change. I am deeply interested in this program and just as confused. Thanks for your time!

http://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list-veg.pdf

Here's the new list.  The changes are healthy because no matter how many beans and nuts one may consume they are not eating complete proteins.   Pulses, beans, legumes are mostly carbs and nuts are fats.  

With any discomfort from trying new healthy foods,  for some that's simply putting vegetables on their plate or adding real food proteins....saying thank you and drinking a glass is water is small step you can take to let your body and brain know that what you're doing is natural, normal and abundantly healthy.

1. Melissa @ Whole9 says

February 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm

MMA fighter on a plant-based protein – really? Despite their perceived energy levels and recovery rates, physiologically a diet lacking in animal protein sources will, in our experience, seriously detract from recovery, performance and health in the long run.

Animal products offer a complete amino acid profile, a dense source of protein, and don’t contain any of the inflammatory lectins or anti-nutrients found in traditional vegetarian protein sources like soy, grains or beans. In addition, many of those plant-based protein sources are far more carbohydrate than protein, leading to an excess of carbohydrate in the diet (and all of the negative downstream effects that come along with a diet chronically high in carbohydrate).

You can read more of our thoughts on grains and legumes in our Grain Manifesto and Peanut Manifesto. (Click the “Manifesto” category in our blog.)

Best,

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

WHy do I need to buy the book to know the new vegan shopping list or what a pure vegetarian can eat and cannot eat? I don't understand how I can be comfortable with this program when it doesn't include any vegan protein options that are readily available in the market and I don't have to look for organic tempeh or some other product? This programs caters to the meat eaters and not vegetarians. There are millions of people I know who don't even eat eggs. Where are they going to get the required protein in their diet? Their diet will be eating vegetables, fruits and nuts. So for them it will basically be a weight loss program even though they don't want it to be. Why can't the whole30 website be updated to show the latest pure vegan/vegetarian shopping list if there is supposedly one in the new book? Since they want to promote the Whole30 way to everyone, start by updating the website which can be freely accessed by millions of people. I'm a little enraged and upset because I want my grandmother and my parents to follow this program but they are pure vegetarians as a lot of Indians are. So there has to some way they can get the required protein intake without eating meat or eggs.

• Administrators

WHy do I need to buy the book to know the new vegan shopping list or what a pure vegetarian can eat and cannot eat? I don't understand how I can be comfortable with this program when it doesn't include any vegan protein options that are readily available in the market and I don't have to look for organic tempeh or some other product? This programs caters to the meat eaters and not vegetarians. There are millions of people I know who don't even eat eggs. Where are they going to get the required protein in their diet? Their diet will be eating vegetables, fruits and nuts. So for them it will basically be a weight loss program even though they don't want it to be. Why can't the whole30 website be updated to show the latest pure vegan/vegetarian shopping list if there is supposedly one in the new book? Since they want to promote the Whole30 way to everyone, start by updating the website which can be freely accessed by millions of people. I'm a little enraged and upset because I want my grandmother and my parents to follow this program but they are pure vegetarians as a lot of Indians are. So there has to some way they can get the required protein intake without eating meat or eggs.

Hi bharat, sorry you're feeling so upset.  At it's heart, the Whole30 is and always has been an omnivorous program.  There were suggestions made previously but they weren't grounded in any context as far as quantities or combinations and as such they have been removed from the documentation.

The focus of the Whole30 both online and in the book is eating whole animal proteins, veggies and good fats however the creators of the program understand that there may be people who wish to improve their health and their intake without animal proteins due to self imposed or religious beliefs. Special populations such as these have always been referred to the book It Starts With Food, and now The Whole30 book as well.

The new vegetarian shopping list leaves blanks for you to fill in what you choose for your proteins if you choose not to consume animal proteins.  Unfortunately by including these plant based proteins you will not get a full body reset in order to see if these food items are problematic for your system (the entire point of the Whole30) hence the removal of them on the sanctioned shopping lists.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived