How much is too much? Nuts and nut butters...

slckoenig

One thing to keep in mind is that nuts are a fat source on Whole30.  Think of it this way: we recomment that each meal consist of 1-2 palm-size protein servings, 1-2 thumb-size servings of fat, and 2-4 cups of veggies.

Given this template, consider a closed handful of nuts to equal your serving of fat; and just look at your thumb to gauge your nut butter serving.

Eating nuts and nut butters with a meal is how we recommend that you do it - many Whole30ers have found nuts/nut butters to be a bit problematic for creating a snacking (rather than just eating a meal when you're hungry) environment; others report digestive issues from nuts.

If you're eating some nuts once a day as a fat source contributing to a healthy meal, and you're not having any digestive issues, I'd say you're fine.

Good for you for not snacking on the nuts and keeping them within the meal template!  Just remember to vary your fat sources with each meal.  While nuts provide some decent nutritional benefits they do, generally speaking, have a higher Omega 6 fatty acids (with the exception of macadamia nuts) profile than many of the other Whole30 approved fats (i.e., coconut, ghee, avocado, mayo, fatty cuts of pastured beef, etc) and you would not want them to be your predominant fat source.

Personally, as a fat source, I do not find that they satiate as well as others. YMMV :)

Nuts are fats and not proteins.

How much is too much?   When nuts are the first and last thing that comes to mind when preparing a meal....that's too much.    

Proteins, vegetables and fats are the recipe for success.   Nuts are a fat and should be more of a sidenote than the main attraction.  If the thoughts of nuts consume an individual, it's because nuts can be taken to the razor's edge as a compliant food but a fat that shoves a real meal...the real deal - proteins, vegetables and fats right off the table.

Too much nut thinking is a clue that they're trying to edge out proteins and vegetables.

I found when I ate nuts just as nuts (like a palmful) they were tooooooo tempting for me! So what I did was I got a bunch of raw nuts from the bulk section of my market, soaked them in saltwater, roasted them low and slow in the oven and then coarsely chopped them and then just measured out a T to sprinkle on my salads. Nut butters don't seem to hold the same sway over me as a palmful of nuts, because I justify 'just one more'. The T or so of chopped nuts on my salad helps to curb that nut frenzy need. IF I do nut butters, I usually will stuff celery stalks with the nut butter and have that as my fat for my meal. 

Archived