Curly J's Whole30 Log

curlyj88

Hi everyone!

I just finished day 2 of my Whole30 and am feeling pretty good... ready for bed, but happy with how I've done so far. I always thought I ate an okay diet pre Whole30, but even after 2 days I'm realizing that's not exacty so. I love dark chocolate, the occasional bag of sour gummy candy, chips here and there (original Pringles, lime tortilla chips), and vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce and sprinkles isnt too bad either. But I also love fruit and baking with whole wheat flour and other healthier ingredients. I guess I thought since I have never really struggled with my weight, I was eating pretty good.. but I'm learning that's so not true. I struggle with occasional acne, uneven skin tone, anxiety, and pretty bad eczema (hands, back of neck, feet/legs, face).

I have been keeping track of what I've been eating with an app on my phone (no calories or amounts, just food), but I think it would be nice to have input on how I'm doing or get suggestions on other types of food to try! I'll be keeping track daily on my phone and then updating on here every few days.

Here goes!

Day 1

Breakfast - ground turkey, egg, and spinach casserole

Snack - apple and almond butter; Lara bar

Lunch - baked chicken and snap peas (didn't eat all)

Snack - plum

Dinner - cinnamon steak with raw veggie salad (peppers, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber)

Day 2

Breakfast - ground turkey, egg, and spinach casserole

Snack - smoothie (found out today these are not encouraged); apple and almond butter; cashews

Lunch - none

Dinner - baked salmon, sweet potato, and roasted broccoli

Off to bed!

- Curly J

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Your snacks may be undermining your lunch. If you can make it, it would be better if you skipped the morning snack and ate a good lunch. The quality of food in your meals is higher than than your snacks, so you want to maximize the best parts.

Tom - Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely be trying that out.

Debbie - Foodee has some great recipes, I've saved a bunch to my favorites!

---

Ok I am seriously going CRAZY right now. Despite my good nights sleep, the eczema on my hands is really really bad. I'm feeling very thankful I don't have to be anywhere today because at this point, a shower would be painful. I'm usually able to keep my hands at bay and they rareeeely get this bad. I try not to use the steroid cream from my doctor but I had to this morning. My fingers and inside edges of my palms were covered in eczema blisters. But what's really making me go crazy... is the back of my neck. Usually it's not much of a problem but it totally broke out between yesterday afternoon and this morning and it is SO incredibly itchy right now I can barely stand it. I used the cream there as well but nothing is relieving the itch at this point other than gently rubbing it (I know.. BAD).

Ideas?? I'm just starting day 3... could it be some form of detox and my body pushing out all the bad stuff??

Hang in there! Sounds so painful.

Wishing you lots of luck. My brother suffers with this and I tell him that people have seen improvements if he cut back on some things but he will eat 1 loaf of bread a day and at least a litre of milk.

I bet it is a detox process and it will get better soon.

Hang in there! Sounds so painful.

Wishing you lots of luck. My brother suffers with this and I tell him that people have seen improvements if he cut back on some things but he will eat 1 loaf of bread a day and at least a litre of milk.

I bet it is a detox process and it will get better soon.

Wow.. a loaf of bread a day?!?!? I can't even imagine that!! lol

I did end up managing a shower, although a bit painful, and then lathered in coconut oil. It seems to be much less inflamed than this morning but not so much that I can go back to knitting yet :(. I'm crossing my fingers it's detox. Hubby (not Whole30 understanding) thinks that it's a result of shocking my body from cutting out dairy, sugar, etc. On a positive note, I found me a butcher shop that sells sugar free nitrite free back bacon!! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!!!

Renee - That's a good way to see it - I like it!!

-----

I feel like I did a lot better with my meals today! I ate breakfast (10:45am but I wasn't hungry earlier), lunch, and dinner.. and NO snacking!! :)

Day 3

Breakfast - turkey sausage, egg, and spinach casserole

Lunch - leftover cinnamon steak and raw veggie salad; grapes

Dinner - almond crusted stuffed chicken breast, sweet potato casserole, and spring salad greens with olive oil and balsamic dressing

Thx Renee! It felt pretty natural to go without snacking although I'm sure if I was working, I would be a lot hungrier and wanting to snack. I'm a substitute teacher right now so I don't start work for another week or so. Nuts and nut butters would be super hard to eliminate... I'm already looking forward to my apple and almond butter today! haha.

Day 4

Breakfast - coconut scrambled eggs, back bacon, grapes

Lunch - mixed salad greens with leftover chicken, hard boiled egg, snap peas, and olive oil and balsamic dressing; small apple

Snack - cashews and 4 dried apricots (driving and stuck in traffic = me bored, antsy, and snacky... I wonder what I would have done if I hadn't had stashed snacks in my purse?)

Dinner - baked chicken, spaghetti squash, mixed greens with olive oil/balsamic dressing

*Skin was a lot brighter today and less blotchy (dropped kitty off at the vet to get spayed early early this morning w/o makeup and felt great!)

*Had a nap from 945-1045am

*Kinda getting tired of chicken...

*Spaghetti squash was a bit bland, even with the olive oil and spices Melissa suggested on her blog... ideas to make it more interesting? *Eczema is still sore on my hands but not AS bad. Still not good enough to knit. Hubby also noticed it pop up on my back (new spot).

*On a POSITIVE note.. usually I crash around 2 or 3pm... today? No crash! I ate lunch around 1:30, had dr's appt, and then a bunch of running around and groceries to grab, and I didn't crash until halfway through Superstore (6:30pm!)! :lol:

I too usually pair my squash with a thick meat sauce.

It is still early. Remember it gets worse before it gets better but I have a feeling in a little while you will be noticing huge improvements with your hands. Your face is already looking clearer :) so that is a great victory!

I too usually pair my squash with a thick meat sauce.

It is still early. Remember it gets worse before it gets better but I have a feeling in a little while you will be noticing huge improvements with your hands. Your face is already looking clearer :) so that is a great victory!

I agree with Ren, on both the thick meat sauce (and Laura)pairing nicely with spaghetti squash, and it gets worse before it gets better on the W30 journey. I DO wish you quick relief with your eczema. I had several different kinds of skin blemishes, bumps, rashes, etc. I had one patch of eczema right where my leg meets my butt, and it was the last patch to show signs of improvement. Right now on day 38, I can still feel it, but it has mostly faded away... so the take away is to be patient!

Keep up the great work!

Help!!

The sugar demon has arrived. I started cooking breakfast and saw hubby's lemonade in the fridge. I thought about how one sip couldn't hurt me that bad, but then I realized that I never do just one sip and I said NO.

But then as I made breakfast, I started feeling really nausaus (sp?), dizzy, claustrophobic, and the smell of my sweet potato latkes and eggs were making things worse. I had to turn the stove off and walk away. So I came on here hoping it would help writing about it and sharing with someone.

And then I remembered that I had taken some of my homemade apple sauce out of the freezer last night for breakfast. So I started putting some in a bowl.. but then I started second guessing myself as to whether I put sugar in it or not when I made it. I don't think I did, and even if I did, it would have been a small amount. I only had 2 spoonfuls before I came and sat down. I was telling myself, don't worry just eat it!! But then I would be stressing after that it really did have sugar and I would feel like i let myself down. So NO I will not eat it. I will eat my sweet potato latkes and fried eggs and orange slices. And be happy with what I CAN eat (even if the smell of it is glueing me to the couch) rather than thinking about how bad I just want to eat my apple sauce.

10 mins later... How bad would it be if I didn't eat breakfast? My tummy is still super upset, I feel wobbly and still nauseaus, and I can't even think about eating right now. I'm going to go read my daily email.

Well, today ended up being not too bad.. despite this morning (above post). I thought about it a lot today and I do think I put brown sugar in the recipe. With that in mind... I got that sick after eating 2 SPOONFULS of apple sauce containing sugar? Thats scary. Scary in the sense that 1) the endless number of products that contain sugar that are on the market that are regularly bought by consumers.. and 2) I really don't want to experience that "accident" again. If I made that mistake in my own home... I don't even want to think about walking into a restaurant.

Day 5

Breakfast - coconut scrambled eggs, back bacon, grapes

Lunch - leftover spaghetti squash and chicken sautéed in coconut oil

Snack - freeze dried strawberries

Dinner - baked mustard lime chicken, roasted asparagus, and mixed greens with dressing

*Woke up at 1:20am super itchy everywhere. After 2 hrs of tossing and turning I moved to the couch in the other room. Woke up feeling groggy, hung over, and like crap.

*I tried cooking my bacon in the ghee I bought the day before. Definitely NOT a fan of the smell. Turned me right off but I still ate it. It stuck around too, had to light candles to get rid of it!

*Started feeling better by 1:30pm when I got dressed and went out to pick up our kitty from the vet. My face stayed oil free until 8pm when I took makeup off.. yay!

*Also bought my copy of It Starts With Food today!

Day 6

Breakfast - 3 strawberries (this is all I could manage even after the nausea and everything passed)

Lunch - apple and almond butter (still couldn't think about food)

Snack - 2 sweet potato latkes and a hard boiled egg; Lara bar (the bored while driving thing again...)

Dinner - shepherds pie (Well Fed) recipe

*Had a crappy sleep again last night (kitty troubles)

*Eczema - ears super sore, forehead/scalp sore and flaky, back of neck sore, hands dry (but slowly healing); used cream from dr to help

*Sugar cravings arrived for the first time (post above)

*Better afternoon - finally found a store that had coconut aminos in stock! Came home and made a good dinner. Was craving something sweet after dinner and was tempted to have a few strawberries with coconut milk but I realized that would be fulfilling my ice cream craving... a no no.. so I went to bed early instead to type this up and now I'm off to read ISWF!

Day 7

Breakfast - poached eggs, sweet potato latkes, and strawberries in coconut milk

Lunch - leftover shepherds pie; apple and almond butter

Dinner - chicken and shrimp veggie stir fry

*Had a better sleep last night. Only woke up once (maybe 2x, can't remember). Much less itchy. Woke up pretty wide awake!

*My hair was sooo soft and curly today!

*Cleaned out our fridge freezer (got rid of all the junk I won't be eating)... so it is now ready to be stocked with ready-to-go freezer lunch and dinner meals!

*I bought the "One Line a Day" journal to celebrate making it ONE WEEK of Whole30!! (Actually it was the other way around.. I bought it and then came home and read in my daily email that I should celebrate and reward myself with something other than food so it worked out perfectly :P)

*Also picked up a binder and a few supplies to start my Whole30 (and for later, paleo) recipe book!

*Mornings are still a little slow, but lots of energy this afternoon!!

*My older sister started asking about my Whole30 and all the yummy photos I've been posting on instagram.. she's thinking of giving it a go =)

Day 8

Breakfast - poached eggs, roasted sweet potatoes, and strawberries, blueberries, and peaches with coconut milk

Lunch - no fuss salmon cakes (1st time I've made these - OMG so good!!!), and mixed greens with dressing; plum

Dinner - shepherds pie

*Better sleep last night. Woke up at 7 and then went back to sleep until 830. Dreamt about weekly meal planning!! hahah

*Did grocery shopping for the week. So happy not to have to go to Safeway!! I did Whole Foods (just for a few things), meat store, fruit and veggie store, and then we stopped at the farmers market earlier in the day for a few veggie and farm fresh local eggs =)

*I'm making my first ever batch of chicken broth!! Pretty stoked I won't have to keep checking all the chicken broth containers at the grocery store in hopes that they have one that is Whole30 complaint (there never is!).

Day 9

Breakfast - bacon (bought du Breton pork bacon at WF - it was ok, my back bacon last week was better), coconut scrambled eggs, and roasted sweet potatoes

Lunch - mixed greens topped with leftover salmon cake, roasted sweet potato, hard boiled egg, blueberries, and olive oil and balsamic dressing (this salad was AMAZING!!); plum

Dinner - Asian beef and broccoli with carrots and red pepper

*Good sleep last night. Cat woke me up at 7 wanting to play, fell back asleep 20 minutes later and woke up at 10!

*i had my chicken broth cooking all day in the slow cooker - smelled amazing. Question though - is it supposed to be a bit oily? I followed the recipe in ISWF.

*A little tired this afternoon/evening. Could be all the energy my brain was using to recognize fast food signs while out driving. I was soo thirsty and I kept seeing DQ, McDonalds, 7/11...Starbucks... and then thinking "Omg this totally would have been a coffee frapp day if it wasn't for Whole30". Its funny though because I knew I didn't REALLY want it. I just like eating/drinking in the car because I get bored. But good news! I recognized this bad habit yesterday and instead of buying a Lara bar at WF for my 40+ min drive home, I bought a bottle of water!

Archived