Curly J's Whole30 Log

curlyj88

Day 14

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with kale and peppers, bacon, and strawberries

Lunch: mixed greens with salmon patty, strawberries, and dressing; 1/2 apple with almond butter

Snack: lara bar

Dinner: morning mix with fried egg

*Good sleep last night! I feel bouncy!! :)

*Lots of energy all day. Good hair day too!

Day 15

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with peppers and 1/2 a chicken kale patty; strawberries with coconut milk

Snack: 4 dried apricots and almonds

Lunch: mixed greens with 1/2 a chicken patty and dressing; cherries

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast, crockpot yams, broccoli

*Great sleep last night! Woke up feeling energetic :)

Day 16

Breakfast : scrambled eggs with kale and peppers, back bacon, and strawberries with coconut milk

Lunch : leftover yam, 1/2 chicken breast, broccoli; cherries

Dinner : spaghetti squash with meat sauce (made with ground turkey)

*Great sleep last night! Woke up a couple of times but easily went back to sleep. Dreamt about eating a big McDonalds hamburger... I felt so guilty, and started mentally saying bad words in my head (lol) and then I realized I was dreaming! What a relief!

*...and for the record... that is THREE great sleeps in a row!! I am one happy lady!

*Still battling eczema on my hands (been able to knit though so its not too terrible). Spent the day with my older sis on the weekend (she's starting Whole30 soon.. she won't pick a start date!! lol)...and she helped me realize something important. I feel like an idiot now (especially if it turns how to be true)... but the eczema on my hands (everywhere else followed after that) started shortly after I started on the pill just after I got married. We googled it and sure enough... so many stories of people who stopped taking it and their eczema cleared up!! I'm going to try it and see what happens, crossing my fingers!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 17

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with kale, peppers, and ground turkey, back bacon, and sweet potato; strawberries with coconut milk

Lunch: leftover spaghetti squash and meat sauce

Dinner: Asian beef and broccoli (ISWF) and 4 pickled baby beets on the side

*Ok sleep. Woke up a couple times but went back to sleep.

*Good day!

If only there was one GREAT sham/cond for curls and I didn't have to go through this huge trial and error thing! :( Im thinking that anything natural is going to be better than what you get at the salon, so I guess I can start there. I would really love to try those products from the link Derval shared though. I *could* drive 2-1/2 hrs to a salon in Seattle... and then stop at Trader Joe's (don't get to go there very often) on the way home.. but I haven't decided if it will be worth it lol.

My hair has been behaving beautifully since I started using Dr. Bronner's magic soap instead of shampoo. It is insane how clean my hair feels when I rinse it out. I used to only wash every other day also, but I've come to think it's sort of a silly rule. Your scalp needs to be cleaned just like your skin. I wash my hair with a bar now and then comb out with conditioner. I still have regular conditioner (it's by TIGI I think...using it up until it's gone. Then I'll find a more natural conditioner.) and the only difference is I wash it out immediately after combing it through. I used to let it sit on my hair for the rest of my shower. My hair is really soft and light since using the magic soap and the beautiful curls lotion I posted earlier.

For reference, my hair is very thin, but I have a lot of it. My curls are pretty well defined, but they aren't kinky or coarse. It's almost like a very curly wave.

I hope going off of the pill helps your hands!! That would be a great find.

I hoep you are well. Sorry I haven't posted on your log for a while.

So happy to hear your sleeping is getting better. How is your scalp? I assume if your sleeping is getting better it is because you aren't up all night scratching your head :D

Just wanted to say hi and see how you are.

I hope going off of the pill helps your hands!! That would be a great find.

I hoep you are well. Sorry I haven't posted on your log for a while.

So happy to hear your sleeping is getting better. How is your scalp? I assume if your sleeping is getting better it is because you aren't up all night scratching your head :D

Just wanted to say hi and see how you are.

Thanks Renee! Always nice to know that someone was thinking about ya :). I will post my updates below :)

No I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth! And more importantly, I haven't fallen off the Whole30 wagon either! I just haven't been able to find the time to get on here to update (too busy making meals and keeping up the house!).

So here goes.... sorry about all of these at once!

Day 18

Breakfast : fried eggs, back bacon, sweet potato; grapes

Lunch : leftover Asian beef and broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes; 2 small plums

Dinner : Indian curry with cauliflower and carrots

*Good sleep last night!

*Lazy day..

Day 19

Breakfast : fried eggs, turkey breakfast sausage, roasted sweet potatoes; grapes

Lunch : leftover Asian beef and broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes; apple and almond butter

Dinner : leftover Indian curry, roasted sweet potatoes, mixed greens with dressing

*Slept good last night :). Another lazy day. Hands are sore (recovering somewhat), not feeling like showering (hands will be sore)

Day 20

Breakfast : scrambled eggs with salsa, roasted sweet potatoes, salmon patty

Lunch : lara bar; leftover Indian curry

Dinner : salmon, zucchini, mixed greens with grapes, blueberries, and dressing

*Crappy sleep last night. Was worried about a doctor's appointment I have today. Wasn't too itchy tho.

Day 21

Breakfast : fried eggs, zucchini, blueberries with coconut milk

Lunch : n/a

Snack : apple and almond butter

Dinner : sweet potato and beef hash

*Ok sleep last night

Day 22

Breakfast : scrambled eggs with salsa, turkey breakfast sausage, and blueberries with coconut milk

Lunch : leftover Indian curry and sweet potato hash; apple and almond butter; blueberries

Dinner : grilled chicken breast with homemade bbq sauce, squash, and zucchini; celery and almond butter

*Dinner out tonight was my first "social outing". We went to my sister's for dinner. She was in practice mode and preparing for her Whole30 so I knew it would be pretty well a safe zone. To my surprise though, I was SO snacky! We were thinking about watching a movie and all I wanted was warm, salty, buttery popcorn!!

Day 23

Breakfast : fried eggs, sweet potato, blueberries

Lunch : salmon patty with mixed greens, blueberries, and dressing

Dinner : steak, mashed sweet potato, mixed greens with blueberries, grapes, and dressing

Snack : 2 dried apricots

Day 24

Breakfast : turkey breakfast sausage, fried egg, mashed sweet potato

Lunch : mixed greens with salmon patty, hard boiled egg, blueberries, and dressing

Dinner : spaghetti squash with meat sauce and mixed greens with macadamia nuts, blueberries, and dressing

Snack : dehydrated banana chips

*1/2 hour before dinner I realized I had forgotten to pick up the pasta sauce for dinner tonight so I had to run to our local health food store (didn't want to waste time looking at Safeway). And then I walked past the bulk section and couldn't resist getting some banana chips. Lucky I only bought as many as I did because I demolished them after dinner while watching Surface. Fail. At least they were Whole30 compliant.

Overall updates:

*I can't believe that after today, I only have 5 days left! I'm pretty positive I'm just going to keep going though without taking a break and either do a Whole45 or a Whole60.

*I've been sleeping really good, rarely waking up in the middle of the night. Nothing like how it was before. The front of my head is a bit itchy/flakey/dry but I'm using a tea tree oil shampoo that's keeping it under control.

*For the curls, I came across the DevaCurl line and discovered that one of the salons where I live has someone trained to do DevaCurl cuts. I went and saw her and she fixed me up with a good cut, colour, and new light gel to try. It's shorter than I'm used to because it's a lot curlier and bouncier than it was before (especially the front.. clips are coming in especially handy, I hate having hair in my face).. but I'm learning to work with it :).

*Eczema - my hands are still recovering from the last outbreak (whenever that was, I can't keep track - before I stopped the pill anyways). They are a bit sore and itchy but not too bad.

*Energy - Still having slow mornings (it doesn't help that I'm not working.. ugh) but my afternoons and evenings are good.

*I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this one buttt.. I mentioned a doctor's appointment above that I was kinda nervous/excited/scared for. I've been having difficulty using my hand to write over the past few years (2-1/2 to be exact), and it's been getting progressively worse. I've done 6 months of physio and after no help there I had an appointment with a nerve doctor (last week). He told me I have focal dystonia (writer's cramp) in my hand and other than lifelong botox injections, there's basically no treatment. SOO... I've stopped using that hand to write, am attempting to learn to write with my right hand (I'm left handed), and am researching any other alternative treatments that may help.

*But to end on a POSITIVE note... I'm generally feeling really good! :)

- CurlyJ

I am happy for the fact you want to keep going. I think with the issues you are still experiencing it is good to keep going for a bit longer, see if the dryness in your scalp and your hands clear up.

Have you noticed your writers cramp has gotten better or worse since starting your whole30? I only ask because I have seen lots of people who have reduced arthritis and reduced joint/muscle pain on this plan. It would be awesome if you could show those doctors that lifelong botox (poison) is not the way to go!

I wish I had just kept going and never stopped the plan once I was officially 'done'. It isnt about being done for me... it is about being the very best I can be and getting my body to a healthy happy place.

Wishing you continued luck on this journey! I will keep checking back to see how the last few official days go

Day 25

Breakfast : turkey breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs

Lunch : mixed greens with salmon patty, hard boiled egg, macadamia nuts, blueberries, and dressing

Dinner : thai green curry chicken

*Good sleep last night

Day 26

Breakfast : scrambled eggs with coconut milk and turkey breakfast sausage

Lunch : leftover spaghetti squash with meat sauce; apple and almond butter

Snack : lara bar and macadamia nuts

Dinner : shepherds pie

*I made it through my first day of work while on Whole30!

*Getting regular nights of good sleep :)

Day 27

Breakfast : scrambled eggs with salsa, leftover curry chicken (veggies only), and grapes

Lunch : leftover shepherds pie

Snack : grapes and coconut butter

Dinner : coconut chicken nuggets, roasted broccoli, and sweet potato fries

*Good sleep last night.

*Hands sore today, no new breakouts, just dry/rough. Tried apple cider vinegar and water to treat.

*Started using T gel for itchy head (dr recommended)

*Face slightly rough, possible eczema patches

*Felt sluggish/yuck/foggy all day

Day 28

Breakfast : fried egg and roasted sweet potatoes

Lunch : leftover shepherds pie

Dinner : salmon, roasted sweet potatoes, salad with dressing; small bowl of blackberries with coconut milk

*Woke up at 2AM. Hands were super itchy, couldn't stop scratching. Used apple cider vinegar and water.

*Very sore when I woke up. Another scratch attack while making breakfast. (Perhaps apple cider vinegar is NOT a good idea?)

*Feel sluggish, sore, and tired.

*Felt a bit better after I showered. Went grocery shopping and bought medical gloves to wear whenever I'm touching soaps, possible harmful ingredients, cooking, etc.

Day 29

Breakfast : scrambled eggs with salsa, 1-1/2 coconut chicken nuggets, blackberries with coconut milk

Lunch : mixed greens with leftover salmon, hard boiled egg, and dressing

Dinner : pulled pork, coleslaw, mashed sweet potatoes

*I had a dream that I was at a friends house and they were having pizza for dinner. I was given a plate filled with pepperoni pizza (crust included obviously). Without thinking I started eating. After 2 slices I realized what I was doing. I tried rationalizing in my head that it was only 2 but I knew that my body would not like it and would soon tell me. I had to try explaining why I didn't finish what was on my plate but it didn't go to smoothly.

Day 30

Breakfast : pulled pork and spinach omelette

Lunch : n/a

Snack : coleslaw

Dinner : pulled pork, coleslaw, mashed sweet potatoes; grapes and blackberries with coconut milk

*Woke up with itchy hands in the middle of the night. Covered them in dr cream (steroid :( ugh). Couldn't fall asleep for 3 hrs after.

*Wasn't very hungry today.

-----

Well I am officially done my first ever Whole30!

WAIT... I take that back. I'm not "done" per say.... I did make it to day 30, but I'm not stopping. I'm in it for the long haul and making it a Whole60. My main symptoms (eczema, acne, energy) have not cleared up, but I'm also not "missing" any food... so I shall keep on going! Although those things haven't cleared up, I can't say enough good things about this program. I am LOVING the food, love love love it. It makes me feel so good that I'm not eating the crap I used to eat and that there is NO room for a "treat" here and there (which often leads to treats every day). My hubby is not on board yet, but is enjoying the meals. He adds a bun/bread to dinner here and there, and snacks a bit, but he is doing pretty good. Hopefully with time, he will thinking about committing to a Whole30 himself.

For my eczema, I'm thinking there could either be a variety of triggers, or just one... but so far I've come up with: apple cider vinegar, nuts, and yarn (w/ a high wool %). And stress of course. But that hasn't been an issue for the past 30 days.

Renee - as for my writer's cramp, I haven't noticed any difference with Whole30.. only that it did get more difficult/painful/crampy to write. BUT, now that I've stopped using it, I'm hoping it stays where it's at so that it doesn't start to bother me when I do any other tasks. It's not really a joint/muscle thing as far as I know. All of the research I've read points to a neurological issue and the only way to fix it, other than botox, is to retrain the brain through neuroplasticity (I came across a doctor who does this treatment, but he is in Spain! boo :( maybe one day). I guess I can be thankful this problem didn't pop up while I was knee deep in university! But then I guess the other side to that is I went to university for teaching and writing is a major part of that... sooo... I'm looking at other options right now and crossing my fingers :blink:.

- Curly J

Hi Curly,

I am glad you found success in your whole 30. Remember you didn't develop the skin troubles in 30 days so it will likely take longer to clear them up.

Did you figure out what triggered your recent wake up/itchy attacks?

You should start a post whole 30 log in the new post whole 30 log section :) That way you can track your progress and keep an eye on triggers etc.

:)

Hi Curly,

I am glad you found success in your whole 30. Remember you didn't develop the skin troubles in 30 days so it will likely take longer to clear them up.

Did you figure out what triggered your recent wake up/itchy attacks?

You should start a post whole 30 log in the new post whole 30 log section :) That way you can track your progress and keep an eye on triggers etc.

:)

So true.. I need to remind myself of that more often! It seems like there are various triggers, the last one being apple cider vinegar. My sister did some research for me and found a site recommending apple cider vinegar for eczema, both consuming it orally and applying it externally. Since I'm a wimp I went for the external option and combined 1/2 cup water with 1 Tbsp vinegar and just kind of drizzled it over my hands and then let it air dry. That night I woke up SO itchy. I didn't even think the vinegar could have been the cause so I got up and applied it again. Well, itchy again in the morning. So no more of that for me! Another one was either (or both of) macadamia nuts and a scarf I was/am knitting with a high wool %. I haven't had any nuts (or touched that wool) yet in this 2nd 30, so we'll see how it goes.

I did try to start a log in the post 30 section the other day but the page wouldn't open for me! :( I will try again today!

Update: you can find my Post-Whole30 log here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3443-curlyjs-post-whole30-log/

Where did you find it?

In my local chemist....in Ireland :o sorry I presumed it was an international brand, is it not? It has definitely helped. I used it morning & night the last 3 days and the raw look has gone and the skin looks healthier (though still pink). But it's so damn upredicatable I'm not getting my hopes up.

In my local chemist....in Ireland :o sorry I presumed it was an international brand, is it not? It has definitely helped. I used it morning & night the last 3 days and the raw look has gone and the skin looks healthier (though still pink). But it's so damn upredicatable I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sorry, I had just never heard of the line! haha. I just phoned our pharmacy and they sell it. Will be picking it up today! My eczema isn't so much blisters anymore so it IS healing... Its just so slowwww (rough, flaky, pink). Thanks for mentioning this!

Archived