Curly J's Whole30 Log

curlyj88

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So enjoying your HONEST posts - it helps to know that we all have our struggles but we get through them! Good job on the planning!

It wouldn't be a learning experience without a few struggles along the way!

If you want honest check out my weird food dream last night lol --> http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1992-weirdest-food-dreams/page__p__23378#entry23378

Day 10

Breakfast: fried eggs, bacon, roasted sweet potatoes

Lunch: shrimp stir fry

Snack: apple and almond butter and blueberries

Dinner: chicken and kale patty, baked sweet potato, and mixed greens with blueberries and dressing

Day 11

Breakfast: fried eggs, turkey breakfast sausage, and roasted sweet potatoes

Lunch: leftover Asian beef and broccoli and 1/2 kale chicken patty; apple and almond butter

Dinner: baked salmon, roasted veggies (broccoli, carrots, peppers, and sweet potatoes)

Snack: frozen strawberries and blueberries with coconut milk

*Didn't have the greatest sleep last night. Went back to sleeping in our bed (have been sleeping on another mattress with the kitty.. only 2 more nights and then she can roam free again!), anyways I always sleep bad the first night changing locations. Weird, I know. I was itchy and tossing and turning for the first 3hrs. I woke up and thought it must be morning.. it was 330am. The rest of the night was better but I still tossed and turned a bit

*Despite my not so good sleep, I had a good day today :) I read my daily email this morning and it pushed me to start exercising. I started Whole30 just focusing on my eczema and I wanted to clear that up first.. but that was my excuse to not get my butt off the couch lol. I decided to start walking 20-30 minutes a day 3x a week. Ideally I would like to work myself up to running again (in the Spring I made it to week 7 - out of 9!! - of the C25K and then I got lazy :(. But I really enjoyed doing that even though it was hard work so I would like to get to that place again!

*Went for 20 min walk!

*My face is definitely clearing up.. so amazing! I really notice the difference at the end of the day when I take my makeup off for some reason. Looking clearer each day :)

*I was able to knit for the first time tonight in almost 2 weeks!!

Really happy to hear your skin is clearing up! Just wait in a week or so you will feel like a whole new woman!

Isn't there something about your skin replacing itself completely in a month or 45 days? Keep on this cycle and it will be a thing of the past

Oh I know, I keep thinking if its this improved after 11 (now 12) days... what will it be like at the end of this whole thing? I'm still having a tough time with the itchiness on my head when I wake up in the middle of the night though (not sure if it's some sort of psoriasis or what but its not fun).. but I'm hoping something kicks in and starts healing that too, because that just triggers more eczema on my hands :(. Anyways thanks for the encouragement!

Just throwing this out there with absolutely no experience at all...

What about something like a coconut oil treatment for your hair... but putting the focus on your scalp? Would something like that take away some of the dryness and help the itching?

Just a thought.

Looking forward to following the rest of your journey :)

CurlyJ...I'm sure you have done this before with the eczema, but have you checked the ingredients in your soaps/lotions? I recently checked my lotion (that I applied to my arms every day to help with dryness/psoriasis) and it contained wheat and soy among other nasty chemicals. I was also using Aveeno body wash, but have recently switched to Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap for shampoo & as body wash. I'm trying to avoid regular conditioner as well, but with curly hair you gotta add something!

CurlyJ...I'm sure you have done this before with the eczema, but have you checked the ingredients in your soaps/lotions? I recently checked my lotion (that I applied to my arms every day to help with dryness/psoriasis) and it contained wheat and soy among other nasty chemicals. I was also using Aveeno body wash, but have recently switched to Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap for shampoo & as body wash. I'm trying to avoid regular conditioner as well, but with curly hair you gotta add something!

Hi Laura!

I have checked my sham/cond labels in the past (and I switched to a natural one for awhile) but this whole itchy head thing stupidly started when I was researching curly hair stuff and I read all this great info about (I can't remember what it's called but..) how only washing your hair once a week and using conditioner the rest of the time can be really beneficial to curls. Ever since then (months now) I've had this issue. Although it has gotten worse since I started using Moroccan oil sham/cond. I know it's sulphate free but I'll have to check the ingredients, their probably not good.

Is that Dr Bronner's Magic Soap moisturizing? I hate trying new products because I never know how they'll work with curls. Last month I tried this aloe vera shamp from the health food store for dry scalp and it made my hair SO dry, it felt like straw :(. What do you use as a curl cream? I'm using ISO bouncy cream and sometimes the Moroccan curl cream but those probably aren't doing me any good either.

Curlyj

Just throwing this out there with absolutely no experience at all...

What about something like a coconut oil treatment for your hair... but putting the focus on your scalp? Would something like that take away some of the dryness and help the itching?

Just a thought.

Looking forward to following the rest of your journey :)

Thanks for the idea Renee! I actually have thought about it, just never got around to looking it up. It doesn't seem to bother me much during the day so I forget about it lol.. but during the night I want to rip my hair out!! Im going to look into Lauras suggestion too and maybe try a new shampoo.

Well... the soap is alll natural, but it could be aggravating to eczema. I did find a fun line of curly products at whole foods, though. I found the first couple of days my skin was fine, and then after that it was a bit dry. I bought some homemade shea butter from the farmers market and apply at night. I put some on during the day, but it is a bit greasy if you go overboard.

When I wash my hair with the soap, it is squeaky clean. I used to get a flaky scalp pretty regularly, but I find that if I comb my hair in the shower with conditioner it helps since we curly girls never brush our hair!

http://www.beautifulcurls.com/

I bought the shea butter fortifying curl lotion, but I really want to try some of the other products as well. They are pretty reasonably priced (same as you would expect from some salon products).

LOL - you're right, you are definitely too young and hot to be the mum, but you know what I mean!

and that's exactly my point.. you remembered, and then you shared.. it's such a great example of why this community is so successful and resourceful.

Hey there used to be a poster here who's business was curly hair products, the link to her website is in her profile

http://forum.whole9life.com/user/257-jess/

I definitely agree - thank you so much for sharing her link!! Her hair is beautiful!! I probably spent an hour laying in bed before I got up looking around her site :P. I just wish there was somewhere to buy her products local instead of ordering online. I sent her a message tho!

----

As for last night.. I dunno if it was using a different shampoo/cond I had on hand or the coconut oil I saturated my hair in yesterday for 2 hours but I slept through the night last night! I was in/out for a little bit (my hands were itchy and are sore again today) but not enough to totally wake me up :)

CurlyJ!!!!! I am so incredibly happy to hear this news. Maybe try each of them on their own now and see which is helping your results. It could be the combo but it could also be one over the other. If the coconut oil isn't the main helper than no point going through it on a regular basis.

CurlyJ!!!!! I am so incredibly happy to hear this news. Maybe try each of them on their own now and see which is helping your results. It could be the combo but it could also be one over the other. If the coconut oil isn't the main helper than no point going through it on a regular basis.

If only there was one GREAT sham/cond for curls and I didn't have to go through this huge trial and error thing! :( Im thinking that anything natural is going to be better than what you get at the salon, so I guess I can start there. I would really love to try those products from the link Derval shared though. I *could* drive 2-1/2 hrs to a salon in Seattle... and then stop at Trader Joe's (don't get to go there very often) on the way home.. but I haven't decided if it will be worth it lol.

Day 12

Breakfast : fried eggs, turkey breakfast sausage, and roasted sweet potatoes

Lunch : leftover Asian beef and broccoli, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted butternut squash, and 1/2 kale chicken patty

Dinner : spaghetti squash with ground beef meat sauce and small salad with dressing

Day 13

Breakfast : sweet potato, butternut squash, and turkey breakfast sausage hash... Ran out of eggs! Bought more today at the farmers market!

Lunch : leftover spaghetti squash with meat sauce and 1/2 a kale chicken patty

Dinner : morning hash with fried egg; 1/2 apple, 3 strawberries, handful of cherries

*Good sleep last night! Only woke up when hubby left for work and when kitty wanted to play.. but went back to sleep!

*Eczema on hands sore today :( I'm curious if the wool in one of my knitting projects could be playing a role (it has the greatest % of wool than anything I've used before)

*Have been a bit bloated.. could it be from carbonated mineral water?

*Went for 20 min walk!

*I haven't really had any cravings (except for that one bad day)... is this normal? I love fruit but I don't NEED it, the last 2 days (before today) I didnt have anything. I just seem to be enjoying what I can eat. Hubby brings home tortilla chips, chocolate, animal crackers.. and I could care less. Is it suddenly going to hit me and I'm going to want to eat everything in sight?? lol

Archived