Deli Meat - Let's talk about ingredients!

alauritson

• Moderators

The deli at the grocery store should have an ingredient list for the meats they slice for you.

You should assume that your local grocer's definition of high quality does not match the Whole30 definition of healthy. You would need to follow up with the deli to find out whether what your husband brought home meets Whole30 standards. It might or it might include carageenan. 

Read labels on the Boar's Head products. They have roast beef and corned beef brisket which are sugar free so those are potential options. All of the company's products are gluten-free and I believe the meats are all free of milk ingredients, but read labels to double-check.

• 2 weeks later...

There aren't many old-school butchers in business anymore, so most all delis (like at your grocer) are bringing in processed meat with labels.  Next time you're at the store, ask to see the labels of the food you want to purchase (or have purchased).  I've never had someone not comply or even act irritated that I asked.  Also, the first few times you are looking can be a bit much to take in as there can be quite a few ingredients per label ("which meat had which ingredient in it???...I don't remember!!!"), so don't be shy about getting your phone out and taking a picture of the label until you know for sure what you can and cannot have.

• Administrators

My butcher will actually make sandwich meat out of just cow tongue and salt. At first I was totally disgusted with the idea of tongue....but it's really just a muscle meat and when pressed for a week into sandwich meat it is beyond delicious.

Most butchers (actual butchers, not the big-box-chain-meat-counter) are totally happy to tell you what they put in their product and you can sometimes even request that they make you something special. Again with my butcher, when he makes a batch of breakfast sausage, he leaves out the rice flour, makes me a few pounds of sausage and then adds the rice flour to the rest of his batch that he sells to the public. Doesn't charge me extra for it, it's no extra work for him. Never, ever hurts to ask. And having a friendly relationship with your butcher is extremely rewarding!

Archived