He who wants to W30 but doesn't quite know what it is

Lyolya

Hi guys, 

Last week, I was considering if I should do a second W30. So, I've made my decision, many thanks for your input.

My husband who definitely has issues wants to be on the program with me, but he deliberately refuses to read a single thing about it! He read a program in Spanish (by the way, the translation to Spanish that we've found is err... not stellar: we could may be revise this translation if it could be helpful to anyone), said ok and that was it! 

We have so many W30 recources at home, including the old ISWF book with my notes and remarks from the last time and the new one in form of an audiobook. He is reluctant to read or listen to any of them, so as to read this forum. Yesterday I was cleaning up cabinets and he was like: "Do we really have to get rid of all this?" 

I told him that he'd rather not do a W30 if he is not taking this seriously enough, but he says that he wants to. Yet he didn't volunteer to read a thing. I hear mixed messages in this. 

What is that I'm doing wrong? May be, it's me who has a problem, not him?

Thanks.

He sounds the same as my 19yo daughter. She really needed it and I told her I'm doing this Whole30 thing and roughly what it was. She said, ok and that was it. Had no interest in reading anything or learning about it. She just asked can I have this or that Mum... but.. we've just completed day 6 and haven't gone off the rails yet.

So maybe he just wants you to do the thinking for him to start with. I would say run with it, and talk him through it day by day. My daughter is feeling so much better already and she's stopped craving sugar already.

Hi Michelleva, 

Thanks a lot, that sounds encouraging! May be, indeed. He says he trusts me and he knows I've done this once so I am kinda "the experienced one" in the family. I am worried about his frequent trips, when I won't be around, his food choices would be limited, and people around would be like "cmon!" 

Well done for completing day 6! Keep up! :-)

• Moderators

You can encourage him and do all the work at home if you choose, but ultimately you can only be responsible for your own Whole 30. If he doesn't want to educate himself and ends up eating noncompliant food and drink when not under your watchful eye, that's his business.

Each of us has to take responsibility for our own bodies. Do what's right for you, encourage him to participate, let him feel it out for himself, and carry on!

You can encourage him and do all the work at home if you choose, but ultimately you can only be responsible for your own Whole 30. If he doesn't want to educate himself and ends up eating noncompliant food and drink when not under your watchful eye, that's his business.

Each of us has to take responsibility for our own bodies. Do what's right for you, encourage him to participate, let him feel it out for himself, and carry on!

Exactly true.

An example, my daughter went out on a date last night. She picked the restaurant, so she could pick the most compliant meal. When they got there the restaurant was closed, so they had to go elsewhere. She picked something similar, but probably not 100% compliant. Did I make a big deal? NO.. a week ago she would have ordered Nacho's and a huge soft drink. Now that's progress. Its day 7 for us, and she said she doesn't even crave junk food anymore. Maybe you would say her Whole30 is ruined, but this is the first time ever she's taken her health seriously, I've got nothing but praise for her.

Apparantly, I've turned her into a veggie loving hippy.. I'll take that anyday.

Good luck with your hubby Lyola, the hardest step is the first. So encourage him, hold his hand a bit if he needs it and watch him flourish.

Feel free to send me a message, if you need an accountability buddy. :)

Hi Michelleva, 

Thanks much!

So great your daughter is making such a wonderful progress: when I was her age, I didn't even think of food as source of health or disease.

Great she has no cravings on Day 7, but they still might come: last year, I was dying to have a scone all the time. We had a bakery close to the office, and these scones were just looking at me every day. Guess what? I tried one when finished the program and it wasn't so delicious anymore. But still, cravings are a dangerous thing and they come and go.

My husband agrees that he really needs a shift in his dietary habits. He is not feeling so well anymore, and he wants to change things. He is very young (32) and is already having health-related problems. His sports performance and body composition have worsened. He is unhappy and wants to feel better.

So I was thinking that I should be cool if his 1st W30 won't be 100% compliant: he still has so much to learn and if I push it, I'll only push him away. May be, his 2nd W30 will be better. I realised that my working up about how he's gonna make it and constantly telling him this is decreasing his chances to ever get to this 2nd W30.

I think that's a great way to approach it Lyolya. As long as you are heading in the right direction, that's all that really matters.

My daughter is surprising me on a daily basis, last night after work she said Mum I never want to go back to the way I was eating before, I feel great and I can feel I'm losing weight. Obviously post W30 some things will get added back, but she's happier not snacking all day and night.

I swear give it 3 months and my daughter will be knocking the boys back with a stick.

Archived