Which oils are allowed?

AimeeKnox

Whoops! I realize now I should have posted my question here instead of on one of the other threads .

Anyway, today is day 2 for me and I love it! I've been a clean eater for awhile, but some of my good habits slipped over the holidays and I wanted to get back on track.

While not new to clean eating, I am fairly new to Whole 30, so a couple of questions for the group -

Besides olive and coconut, which oils are compliant?

Is canned tuna okay?

Thanks!

Avocado oil.  Macadamia nut oil. Lard.  Duck fat.  Ghee/Clarified butter. 

Basically nut oils are allowed - but some of them are less than ideal because they are high in omega 6's and low on omega 3's.

Seed oils are suggested for minimal use ie: seasame oil

Grapeseed oil, canola oil - while not outright banned - should be used in special circumstances only. So basically when you are eating out.  So for personal use - please don't use them

• Administrators

Hi Aimee,

With all due respect, have you read the program rules?  Often folks get excited and jump right in without really learning what they need to know.

Here are the rules: http://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf

Here is the master "Can I Have" list: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

In order to search the forum, we recommend using Google, type in "Whole30 + your question" and you'll get a tonne of results on most topics.

Merged these two topics in one place.

In the future, please do not cross post in the forum. If you posted in one part of the forum and you feel your post belongs in a different place, private message any of the moderators and we will move the topic.

Also, here is the meal planning template which includes recommended serving sizes for the various fats.

Canned *compliant* tuna is ok.  Read ingredient labels carefully as many canned tunas contain soy, making them not compliant.

Archived