much needed w30

Beets

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha yeah, I've probably read about 5 books since my baby was born. I have been falling asleep on the couch during netflix nearly every night this winter so I just started making myself go to bed at 10 and read till I fall asleep. I think I may even bump it up to 9. 

I just read a really good article about being nice for 40 days. (http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/01/could-you-go-40-days-without-being-mean.html) That is my current mental struggle. In some ways being mean is the most self-destructive thing I do. It's why I'm not on Facebook! Could not go on without thinking negative thoughts about people!

The documentary is called the Artist is Present and it's on netflix! It's pretty good. 

The soup looks good, thanks for sharing.

MoMa! I will be there in April and I dream about this moment. I will catch Bjork exhibition (also this is why we are in town, her show). 

I am such a plantain addict. Bajan people know how to cook them perfectly, we would get a box of fried plantain over any other food while we were there. I figured that long stripes, ghee and patience are the key. Wonder starch.

I am super impressed with the way you decided to go for the whole30. It's happening. Loved reading that line. I need one too and you got me one step closer. Congrats on the first week. 

Abby, I really don't use FB either. It makes me feel bad in a myriad of ways. I do like seeing photos of my friends's kids. Or the thoughtful funny or interesting things a few people post. The rest I can do wjthout. I know I could "hide" people but I'd have I pretty much hide everyone but ten people.

Being nice for a stretch of time is good. Loving kindness is a meditation practice that's hard for me. Being more mindful makes me realize how judgmental I am. Crazy judge mental--all the time. Either judging myself to be better or worse. "I am not better than other people. I am not worse than other people."

I've also been trying to read more. Awhile ago I took all twitter apps off my phone (my kryptonite versus FB) and now I open my Kindle app. Much more productive and much more what I want to do with a few spare minutes.

Nadia, I've been working up to this whole for a long time. Though yeah I did decide to just stop making excuses and do it. Feels good so far. Husband super psyched for Bjork exhibit. We will see it, now that I have a membership. Costs $25 to get in and $80 for a membership for a year that allows other adults to get in for $5. Worth it even if you are visiting!

Day 8

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Husband and I had to meet teacher this morning and I could not get out of bed. I convinced myself it was the weekend and took off my buzzing UP band.

No breakfast. Lady M is right! This jacked up my eating all day.

M1 11:55am small tangelo, black coffee, sausage, sautéed kale

I miss my fish but I ran out of the frozen fillets my parents bought me at Costco and I've bought two iffy pieces from usually safe stores

I listen to these Audio Dharma podcasts and they are great. I'd love to take a class with this teacher, but he's in CA. Anyway, I listened to a talk last night about emotions. He was talking about How it's good and necessary to let strong emotions come (in this school, vipassana, vs zen) but step back and watch them, not get swept up by them, or dragged into circular thinking.

I wish I could transcribe the whole thing but I'm typing on my phone. Maybe I can find online. [Wastes ten minutes on the Internet.] Uh no. That was a black hole.

Anyway. I'm inspired by Sara's daily yoga log to start my own daily practice. Also Lady M's point that it just needs to be a few asanas. I've long wanted to do a really intense daily Ashtanga practice but that's not in the cards in terms of time, $$, energy, $$ or time. As Sara said, 20 mins daily is better than one 90 min class--and I haven't been doing that either. :)

I considered doing a "streak" of meditation but I want that to be part of my all day waking life so I don't want to get into splitting hairs. Over the weekend I didn't sit to medicate but I did mediate in the shower and while walking, cooking, waiting for microwave, etc. This "counts" like doing a few asanas before bed--but I'm not feeling a streak thing on the meditation front. Yoga yes. [stop overthinking!! Or, vipassana style, a simple "I'm overthinking."]

I have a grand plan to go for a weekend retreat for my birthday. We will see.

Lady M, don't feel bad! It was a good experiment. You've enabled many more wonderful things so no apologies.

M4: few tangelos and sausage left over from lunch

M5: chicken thigh, pile of sautéed kale, half a sweet pot I cooked the life out of--all eaten way too late!

• Moderators

Love reading your self reflection, Beets. I'm the same way about meditation. It seems wrong to put pressure on it. A friend came over recently and saw my meditation cushion and altar and asked how often I meditate. "Most days," I said. And that's my answer for myself. That is enough.

You know I'm all about the weekend retreat. I sincerely hope you give that to yourself.

So I've been wondering why you weren't updating your log, over in the After land, not realizing you were doing a W30.  Finally figured it out after reading Nadia's journal.  Glad to see you back here on the regular and I enjoyed catching up with your first week.

So excited that I inspired you with my yoga streak!   :D   And a yoga streak makes more mental sense to me than a meditation streak.  Funny thing with my streak is that I assumed that it wouldn't end up being a straight 30 days when I started, but in the end, I just made time for it. And funny, with LadyM's suggestion that I can just do a few asanas to keep up my streak, I feel like I have permission to do that.  Why I need permission on how to continue a streak, I'll never know.

As for NYC, I finally took my son into the city over Thanksgiving - we saw the Christmas City Spectcular, hit the Lego store, and FAO Schwartz.  He's 8, the city is a measly 1 1/2, 2 hours away.  Well, better late than never.  We actually had a blast with 5 adults and 7 kids, crazy, but a blast.

Hope you have kicked the sniffles to the curb!

It's so weird bc even though I live in Brooklyn it's still a big mental hurdle for me to "go into the city" with the kids. It was completely exhausting when they were younger and I built up some dread around it. And it's still a pain bc my son will just run down a crowded street or act like a spaz. But he can also be a totally wonderful, thoughtful companion. I never know!

We do have to see the Lego store. My son is a Lego fiend.

Jen, my vitamin C and while eating seems to have kept the cold at bay. Fingers crossed.

I've wanted to start meditating for a long time and I have been reading up on it now in conjunction with my son's ADHD diagnosis (another topic) and revisiting my own ADHD. I was a religion major in college and studied some Buddhism with an amazing Sri Lankan professor, so there is also that appeal.

And I was just thinking about walking meditation. I'd like to try that.

Oh boo! That's a let down. Apparently there are a couple stores that are really awesome. One in central Jersey somewhere--I can't remember the distinction between the ok stores and the special ones. There was also supposedly an amazing Lego exhibit in Boston over the holidays but we didn't make it. I think it's coming here in the spring.

Day 9

Sleep: 6.5 hours

Husband had to work late, chatted when he got home. No tv before bed; small victories. Daughter had nightmares, something crashed, had to pee, husband up at 5:30 to catch flight out. Should have gotten up, drifted back to sleep to weird annoying nagging dreams. Feel anxious.

Terrible morning. I very impatiently told my son to "get your damn underwear on." Feel awful. It *was* taking 15 minutes but as bad as my potty mouth is I never talk to my kids like that. Yikes. Is this the dreaded Kill All Things?

I otherwise feel calm. It's like I'm on Wellbrutrin where I feel GREAT (look at the moon! the crisp blue sky!) but everyone else thinks I'm acting like a jerk.

I do love this crisp cold weather. SUN! For the love of cats it's SUNNY. Did ten rounds of sun salutation in the sunny patch of my living room. Felt great. Haven't done yoga in forever. I'm terrible with the long DVDs at home but I found an audio of a short 20 min practice and that was perfect. Thanks for the inspiration, Sara!

M1 11am salmon and gingery cabbage, last of the magic soup, black coffee

M2 2pm two sausages and collards (can't seem to make these yummy, they need a different cooking method), more coffee

M3 7:30 meat cake, mayo, gingery cabbage, bit of collards

Again first meal being late threw me. Was crabby again in the afternoon with kids. Son was also awful and chucked a bottle of glue at me. A few weeks ago it was a glass. And it broke. We are seeing a family therapist but have only gone a couple times. It's so tough when I'm here alone and things aren't going well with him. I feel wrung out after an explosive interaction with him. Yelling this morning didn't help!

Exhausted and perhaps I'm in the KAT phase as mentioned above. But that's no excuse for losing it with the kids. Feeling crazy tired. Way more than would be warranted by getting one less hour of sleep. I did do yoga, meditate and take a longish walk with the dog in the frigid air.

Cleaning up the kitchen then zzzzzzz. At least I ate early. And we did manage to make a few awesome valentines. Before the glue chucking.

Yay for sunny Sun Salutations!  :D

Sorry about the issues with your son.  None of us are perfect and we all lose our patience.  It sounds like your husband has been traveling a lot and working late which leaves you ON all the time.  That's really hard.  Plus it sounds to me like you and your son are very similar personality-wise (am I reading that right?).  My husband and son are very, very similar.  They bring the best and worst out of each other.  When it is the worst, they ratchet each other up, neither able to stop escalating.  I usually have to step in and remind my husband that he is the adult and should walk away.  So maybe when things start escalating, walk away for a few minutes (the bathroom would do).  Maybe that would give both of you a chance to calm back down.  And if I'm off on this, pass right on by...

We took the boys to LegoLand in CA a few years ago.  10yo was 8, I think, and 13 yo was 11.  They were just getting to be maybe too old for it, but as they are lego FREAKS, they still loved it.  10yo still plays legos every day.  Sadly, 13yo is now too cool.

Hang in there.  KAT is tough.  Remember that by the time your W30 is done, you will be feeling much more patient and calm with the kids.  I remember that happened for both of us the first time (can you believe that was almost 2 yrs ago?!?!?!?!). 

I'm sorry you're having issues with your son.  I hope the therapist helps.  Your situation might be beyond self help books, but I read a couple of books that help some with my son (who pushes ALL my buttons and is very temperamental).  Setting Limits with your strong willed child by Robert Mackenzie and How to Talk so Kids will listen and listen so kids will talk.  Both help me see how my reactions fuel the situation (and that's what he's going for) and when I can remember to keep my own emotions out of it, things are better.  I hate when I get upset and yell.  Hate it.  He's just so frustrating.  I keep re-reading those books and trying to remember to keep me out of it.  It helps.  Good luck.

Thank you both. My son and I are very similar, Sara. But it sounds like your husband and mine have similar parenting styles. My husband always used to say things like, "he pushes my buttons" as a rationale for losing it. And I'm always like, he's a child! You're the adult! He has made a big effort to be more calm and now he is often more calm because he's not in it alone days and days at a time.

Yesterday I needed to take my own advice.

Jen I don't know the first book. I'll check it out. I do know How to Talk. I've really made an effort to change my parenting style since my son was four and time outs and yelling were not working and escalated the situation. And I know, things will be better. I canot believe that was two years ago either! I had to work it out in my brain the other day a couple times to make sure that was right.

I try so hard to stay calm. I read the Ah Ha parenting book/blog/emails often and they have really helped us a lot. (Dr Laura Markham cites the How to Talk writer as an influence). She always says, Nothing is an emergency. Except when your kid runs into the street without looking, as happened yesterday twice at night on the ice. But yesterday I cudont find that space between their actions and my reactions. I immediately went to code red.

Day 10 (yesterday)

Sleep: 6.5 hours, broken up and interrupted, light

M1 10:30am meat cake, leftover sautéed cabbage and greens, potato wedges, black coffee

Getting anxious. Need carbs! Feel like sleep is tied to my cycle. I always seem to sleep light when I'm ovulating.

Mindless grab: couple pears

M2 2pm salmon and sautéed cabbage, most of a chicken thigh

4pm Ill advised late afternoon coffee

So feeling in need of an up (sugar, caffeine) or a down (wine). Really tough couple of days with the kids. We all have cabin fever. I'm getting anxious about getting out of here to drive to NH. Laundry, packing, it's not a huge deal and I'm trying my best to be mindful and not sink into old patterns of FREAKING OUT.

M3 7pm salmon, roasted brussels sprouts

Went down to the street to drop off dry leaning and get dinner for kids at prepared Italian place. I wanted take out from anywhere, not because I'm craving takeout but bc I didn't feel like cooking. We have a new super cute Israeli place on the block (our hood's one little strip of restaurants that used to be crappy bodegas and a super sketchy tanning salon/money laundering or drugp front) and while I'd love to patronize them, there's nothing for me at a vegetarian place. Paleo cafe, people!! That's what we need.

Anyhoo. Fell sleep putting kids to bed, woke when husband got home and had to tidy up kitchen. Exhausted and wrung out after another tough but somewhat less explosive with kids. (No screaming but probably a lot of over reacting.)

Aware now of all the tension I hold in my jaw! No wonder my teeth are falling apart.

Did short yoga. Audio is the way for me. GoooOOOO, podcasts!

Day 11

Sleep 7.5 hours. Up band says more deep sleep but who knows if that is real.

Did more yoga this am. 20 minute qi balancing twisting something. Felt great. The site has membership and longer classes. For now 20 mins is good. Great even.

Meditation: (havent been tracking) walking while bringing daughter to buddy's house, a frigid walk, cheeks stinging, felt like Laura on the Big Slough, kept bringing myself back to the breath, thoughts like ping pong balls

M1 10:30 cabbage and salmon, black coffee

Went to whole foods thinking I could eat lunch there but I was starving when I got there and I wanted to eat many things. I was really craving those darn fried plantains they have there in the hot bar but no. I had figured there would be something plain I could eat but there was almost nothing meatwise that didn't have sugar or soy and I had to grab my son from school STAT. I took a couple roasted parsnips and a piece of dry chicken. I peeeled off the outside and only ate the inner meat. Dubious I know. I also grabbed a bag of salted cashews and a bag of groovy platain chips. Damn you plantains!

M2: chicken, roasted parsnips, cashews. Ate in car. Vile "meal."

Picked up daughter later from friends'. Another family was there having an impromptu gathering. Mom offered me a drink and I wished I could have had a glass of wine. Friday night before vacation, night before Valentine's Day, kids feeling celebratory, Friday the 13th, rough week, holy god I wanted a glass of wine! I drank tea. And came home starving again. Fortunately I'm not a huge nut snacker so I didn't gorge. I did open the plantain chips and ate them with mexican ground beef. It was too salty and not in the spirit of w30 and maybe non compliant so I stopped. Chopped up jicama I bought and are beef with that. A ha! Something fresh. Feel like I've been eating a bunch of dry salty food lately.

Day 10

Sleep: 6.5 hours, broken up and interrupted, light

M1 10:30am meat cake, leftover sautéed cabbage and greens, potato wedges, black coffee

Getting anxious. Need carbs! Feel like sleep is tied to my cycle. I always seem to sleep light when I'm ovulating.

Mindless grab: couple pears

M2 2pm salmon and sautéed cabbage, most of a chicken thigh

4pm Ill advised late afternoon coffee

So feeling in need of an up (sugar, caffeine) or a down (wine). Really tough couple of days with the kids. We all have cabin fever. I'm getting anxious about getting out of here to drive to NH. Laundry, packing, it's not a huge deal and I'm trying my best to be mindful and not sink into old patterns of FREAKING OUT.

M3 7pm salmon, roasted brussels sprouts

Went down to the street to drop off dry leaning and get dinner for kids at prepared Italian place. I wanted take out from anywhere, not because I'm craving takeout but bc I didn't feel like cooking. We have a new super cute Israeli place on the block (our hood's one little strip of restaurants that used to be crappy bodegas and a super sketchy tanning salon/money laundering or drugp front) and while I'd love to patronize them, there's nothing for me at a vegetarian place. Paleo cafe, people!! That's what we need.

I got salmon and oven roasted brussels sprouts from the Italian place (real fresh prepared food, not pizza). I know the chef and he doesn't use crap ingredients. Still, thoroughly unsatisfying meal. And still had to make dinner for kids because he had nothing they wanted. :(

Anyhoo. Fell sleep putting kids to bed, woke when husband got home and had to tidy up kitchen. Exhausted and wrung out after tough tough few days with kids.

Aware now of all the tension I hold in my jaw! No wonder my teeth are falling apart.

Did short yoga. Audio is the way for me. GoooOOOO, podcasts!

M3: ("meal" loosely) taco ground beef, plantain chips, jicama

Feeling blergh after a non template day. Tomorrow back on task.

M4: roast chicken, salad, many glasses of cold water

• Moderators

So glad you're loving the yoga podcasts. That's wonderful. Which ones are you using?

You're doing great. So much awareness. I agree that more starchy veg would help a lot. And increasing them over the course of the day will do wonders for your sleep. Seriously. Reading up on adrenal health has really helped me tweak how I eat W30 style. I do best with little to none in the morning, a half sweet potato or so with lunch, and then as much as I can fit in my face at dinner. Gets cortisol humming just right. Might help with anxiety some, too.

I think you're amazing with those kids. And making yourself a priority, too, the best you can.

Day 13

M1 sausage, kale, sweet pot, ghee, black coffee

M2 sausage cabbage sweet pot ghee in a thermos, jicama and peppers for crunchiness

M3 sausage and broccoli stems eaten while cooking

M4 steak, plain mashed potatoes fried in ghee and olive oil, steamed broccoli

Yesterday (V Day) I didn't track. I skipped breakfast running out to a hair appt and felt awesome--until I was starving and ate 2 hot dogs w kraut. This was after treating myself to a few minutes with a book and a cup of black coffee in a new shop that had a working fireplace! Luxury. Bought my husband our favorite pastry (an "artisanal" pop tart, not even joking) and was only slightly tempted.

Was picking on oranges and jicama throughout the day. Really wanted wine and chocolate but I had neither. Not even any kombucha. (Bc I forgot it. Not out of virtue.) Totally off template in terms of three solid meals but technically compliant.

Today we went skiing. It was freezing! 12 or something before wind chill factored in, and it was blustery. But my son and husband basically had the little lift to themselves--when it wasn't shut down due to wind.

My knee is still jacked up so I was the sherpa, freezing cold bc I wasn't moving. Actually we all had three layers of wool underclothes on so everyone seemed pretty cozy. Except any exposed flesh!

Husband fell asleep last night putting kids to bed so I did laundry and saved steak for tonight. Romantic. It was fine. We shared our steaks with the kids and they were psyched. I left my mashed pots dry and pan fried them, which totally felt like cheating and I can't believe white potatoes are w30 legal.

Driving to NH Tues. Ahead of storm Olivia or whatever her name is. Octavia? Busy template day tomorrow.

Happy belated Valentine's day! Forever ago I told boyfriends I'd break up with them if they got me anything. I am thinking this was a defensive move, though I did enjoy railing against this "totally made up Hallmark holiday" back in my yoot. It's cute now as long as the expectations are low.

Thanks M and Sara!

I've been increasing the starchy veg LM and it DEFINITELY helps. Especially, as you say, in the last meal. Helps a huge amount. I forget that I really can't go without making myself eat the starchy veg, even though eating without them feels cleaner and meaner. (Meaner the operative word.)

Day 16

Still going. I think I got about 6.5 hours of sleep. At mother in law's. Cold!

Had an extremely busy day Monday getting out in front of a storm that suddenly was going to arrive much sooner than expected. Ate template meals. Cooked broth, brisket and three salmon fillets, steamed a pile of cabbage for easy reheating. Left home around 9pm, after my husband got home and my mom arrived. (She came with us to visit her sister in ME.)

I was glad my mom was along for the ride. It was 8 degrees out before wind chill and something was malfunctioning with my heat so the side windows were frosting up. We stopped for gas and I couldnt even fill the tank--the cold was too bitter. It was me and the 18 wheelers on the road, and somewhere in MA I started imagining catastrophe with all of us stranded in the cold and dying from exposure. (Too many cold weather adventure stories.)

I brought a sweet pot and CB in a thermos. I also brought, gah, a bag of cashews and raisins. (Why?) Around 1am I grabbed a handful. (I also bought a larabar at a rest stop but despite my tense drive I didn't get past the first bite.)

I didn't sleep till 3am, after hauling in bags and sleeping children.

Being so tired has made me incredibly snacky! Not to mention the fact that my mom brought bags of bakery treats and I went over the edge with snacking last time I was here. My mom hung out for a day and everyone else was sitting around chatting, watching the kids play in the mountains of snow and eating sweets while I nursed a mug of ginger tea.

It's my two biggest crap eating snacking associations combined, with the added bonus of getting two horrible nights of sleep. (Last night my daughter had a fever.)

I've thought about throwing in the towel and eating ice cream a few times but I've held strong. But it's been kind of a constant struggle since I've gotten here, and I've reached for cashews and raisins a few times--compounding the snackiness and the feeling of constant hunger.

That makes me feel like a bit of a lapsed case, but I know there are no perfect w30s and I've continued my yoga and meditation.

Maybe by force feeding myself template meals I will overcome the snackiness and the un-w30 searching for food feeling. And sleep. Sleep too. And probably water.

Did make some killer green beans that I will make again tonight. (Kind of Chinese food style, sautéed with garlic till crispy and amazing. Not usu a green bean eater but I could eat a bushel like this. Nom nom roasts them like other veg and to want to try that method also.)

M1: salmon, jicama mango salsa (wish I had another tub of this, mmm), cabbage

M2: hot dogs, kraut

Snack: potato wedges, cashews and raisins (hid them!)

M3: brisket, massive pile of cabbage, kraut

M4: chicken, green beans, potatoes probably

Wow, good job getting your family up there safely! I can totally relate, we have been snowed in for 3 days and today I wanted to snack allll day. I am also sleep deprived! It is a terrible combo, yes? Totally not as chipper about this round as I was a few days ago but I think I just really need to get out of the house. 

Hope your daughter feels better and you get some rest!

We got our once yearly ice storm Monday night, the day after we started our first Whole30. It's made stopping at the grocery store a bit difficult (and with a high of 17 degrees tomorrow, it's not going away!) Today I went to work for a half day and discovered that it will be much easier to maintain this diet without snacking during the work week. When I'm home all day and the food is always accessible it's difficult!

I know it feels mentally tough right now, but you are slogging through.  I think eating template meals and sleep will help with the snackiness.  But watching other people snack and eat all the time make it really tough.  Keep drinking the tea, I know that helps me.  And keep up the yoga/meditation!

Thanks for the comments. I'm feeling much less snacky. I think being tired is really the worst in terms of snackiness and sugar/processed carb craving.

Abby if you can get out you should. Yesterday I really didn't feel like playng in the snow but my son and I trudged through the thigh deep snow and had a long snowball fight. It was fun.

Jen, it's a lot easier in my own house where I don't keep a pantry full of cookies, chips, junky cereal and bread products! My in law's diet is diametrically opposed to the w30, and there is a lot of grazing counterpointed by bowls of "healthy" food like Special K cereal and skim milk. :)

Not to be on such a high horse. I've spent many a week up here eating crap bc "when in Rome." (I was here when I made myself so sick eating junk over Christmas week.) It's also can feel fun in a NO RULES way to eat chips and dip in front of the TV, sad to say. My family evenings and weekends, growing up, also often featured eating junk as a part of relaxing and bonding.

Eating as bonding and family time: hard to break. The tea does help. I can still sit at the table even if I'm not eating a giant bowl of ice cream. (Here they cover it with Hershey's syrup which, gag, give me my salted caramel sauce if you want to tempt me on that front.)

Mindfulness also helps.

Sara, thanks! After I wrote this somewhat poor me entry I started remembering toughing out other w30s. I kind of wanted this w30 to feel easy, like I was an old pro, but obviously the old demons are still lingering.

Yesterday I did yoga for my lower back. SI joint! IT band! I've been somewhat obsessively doing one-legged deadlifts and squats for the last week (mostly unweighted since my back is still off) in an attempt to lift my booty. It seems to be working a tiny bit.

The yoga has seemed to help my middle, combined with lack of dairy. Feels good to not stuff myself into my pants.

Yesterday's meals:

M1: huge pile of brisket and cabbage, black coffee, mug of broth

Figured I'd eat as much high nutrient food as possible at breakfast. Maybe my breakfasts have been too small?

M2: sweet pot and ground beef with ghee and aunset spice--back to basics!

This is like my w30 AIP day comfort food--yummier with the sunset spice.

Snack: I did grab a handful of cashews and a few raisins after playing in the snow. I didn't have the desperate snacky feel all day.

M3: more of same, sweet pot and beef

The day was easier. Partly eating a big breakfast, drinking water, sleep, and my mom is at her sister's so no peer pressure to eat poundcake. :)

post-19355-14244355705418_thumb.jpg

Snow plow pile! With yet more fresh snow on top. The flat snow is up to my thighs. Definitely a good workout to walk in that. My son is so happy he has been lying and swimming in it. He loves snow and doesn't seem to feel the cold.

Yowzer, that's some snow.  We are just having brutally cold weather, with snow tomorrow.  2-hour delay for the kiddos with -35 wind chill.

I'm so glad yesterday was a better day.  Being snacky all day is so hard to fight.  I didn't think you sounded Eeyore, but I get not wanting it to be so tough.  Once in awhile it would be nice to have things be easy, but I know I just keep truckin' away until that day comes.

Great job surviving the juink food and sticking to your plan despite being tired and snacky!  It's so hard to remember that we want to feel good more than we want the junk food.  Enjoy the snow - we just have bitter cold and patchy snow.  I'd rather have snow for the kids to play in!

Archived