Jenn1270

Why are you continuing?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you want to continue?

• I want to see some benefits (my tiger blood just hit or hasn't hit yet)
    • I'm afraid to go back to my bad eating habits
    • I like eating like this
    • Other - tell us in your post

Even though it's day 30, I'm preparing myself and anyone who wants to join me for another 15 days from our January 5th start date. I know for me I have some issues I want to work on, as well as see some of the benefits I've just started taking note of this last week. 

Feel free to join me here any of you who would like to carry on to Day 31-45 with me!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is day 30 for me as well.  I am doing a Whole180, I need to crush the bad habits and sugar dragon for good and I think this is the only way for me to get a grip!  I did a Whole60 last year at this time and then went on vacation, bad idea....this vacation I'm going to stay on it, I feel too good!  

Good luck with your goals and if you want to continue, do it, it feels good!

Day 30 and now I know I'm in for at least the Whole45, and then maybe more.  At this point it's getting easier and easier to follow the plan and I'm a little afraid of how I'll do when not on the plan.  I figure that the longer I am eating clean the more I am used to this being my new "normal."  And, although my motives for doing the Whole30 were for my health, I have quite a bit of weight to lose as well. 

I know as soon as I start with dairy that I will want more.  I know that grains are a thing of my past.  I know that sugar is my enemy. 

We have a vacation coming up in late February.  That will be the test to see how much I have changed. 

Jenn, I'm in!  As much as I am feeling so much better here on Day 30, I'm still not where I would like to be.  I am still tired a lot of the time, but sleeping pretty well, and I would like to see if I can get those MS symptoms even further off the charts.  I have an appointment with my neurologist the end of February, it should be interesting to see if they note any positive changes from their cognitive tests. 

My only stress with this is hubby.  He is really pushing for meals out and it STRESSES me OUT! He's never read a thing about the plan and has gone along with me simply for "moral" support (while bitching about the sheer volume of veggies), he is done with being so strict and wants to go out for wings and beer.  Don't get me wrong, I want wings and beer (ok cider) too! But I want to feel good more, and he's not really getting that.  So I am going to have to eat out and figure it out to keep the peace at home.  I can do this! (right??)

Onto Day 45!  (I'm still weighing myself tomorrow.... :D

Jenn, I'm in!  As much as I am feeling so much better here on Day 30, I'm still not where I would like to be.  I am still tired a lot of the time, but sleeping pretty well, and I would like to see if I can get those MS symptoms even further off the charts.  I have an appointment with my neurologist the end of February, it should be interesting to see if they note any positive changes from their cognitive tests. 

My only stress with this is hubby.  He is really pushing for meals out and it STRESSES me OUT! He's never read a thing about the plan and has gone along with me simply for "moral" support (while bitching about the sheer volume of veggies), he is done with being so strict and wants to go out for wings and beer.  Don't get me wrong, I want wings and beer (ok cider) too! But I want to feel good more, and he's not really getting that.  So I am going to have to eat out and figure it out to keep the peace at home.  I can do this! (right??)

Onto Day 45!  (I'm still weighing myself tomorrow.... :D

I will be interested to hear how those tests go also!! Hopefully they'll notice changes!

Can you go out with him, but have a salad and grilled chicken? I think there are ways to compromise on some of the dinners out--

do you get the daily emails that you can sign up for? One of them had a good point about making sure not to isolate yourself from the events and things that you usually do, but i'll have to dig to find it...it liked the perspective it had. 

You can do this, and I too am weighing myself tomorrow--I don't think my number's changed all that much, but I know i'm burning belly fat, the whole shape of my stomach is different.

This is my first Whole30, but I intend to go until Valentine's Day, to make it a Whole40. 

OK, if I stick around for a bit?

I decided to continue primarily because I still have leaky gut issues that need to be resolved.

So, I'll be celebrating Valentine's Day, then starting my second Whole30 (maybe 60) on February 15.

Can you go out with him, but have a salad and grilled chicken? I think there are ways to compromise on some of the dinners out--

do you get the daily emails that you can sign up for? One of them had a good point about making sure not to isolate yourself from the events and things that you usually do, but i'll have to dig to find it...it liked the perspective it had. 

You can do this, and I too am weighing myself tomorrow--I don't think my number's changed all that much, but I know i'm burning belly fat, the whole shape of my stomach is different.

Yes, I am prepping myself for eating out "clean".  This is a hurdle that I really need to get over, because life often gets in the way and I need to figure out how to make this a lifestyle.  January is relatively a quiet month, which makes it easier to hibernate, but I am missing outside social interactions!  I know I've read that before, about not isolating, and really it's not like I have a busy social calendar, it's more pressure from my family to get pizza or go out for breakfast that makes it harder.

I'm thinking my numbers haven't changed much at all either.  My pants are fitting better, I'm down almost a full size (only had one pair I could fit into at the beginning, now have 4!).  I hear you on the stomach shape!

Hi, everyone!  I am in for another 15 days!

I can certainly see why staying off the scale is so important during a whole30.  I think that I would have been very discouraged and more likely to cheat had I known how little weight I had lost.  I have lost 7.7 pounds.  I usually lose that much when I do my seasonal ten day cleanses. I do realize that weight is not as important as health, but a lifetime of focusing on the numbers on the scale is hard to give up.  I am in my early 60's and, although I am not what is classified as overweight in terms of my BMI, it has been a while since my weight has been at a place where I feel healthy and fit.  My goal is to get to a good place, eat well, and stop fluctuating.  I have been sleeping better and I am not achy or stiff when I get up in the morning.  The joint pain in my hips had been so bad that it often kept me from sleeping.

Kboom, I can identify with your issues with eating out.  During the 30 days I only ate out twice.  Once was fabulous and the other time was a nightmare.  The salmon I ordered with olive oil only came with the citrus glaze (sugar) on it.  It was also on the vegetables.  The restaurant was slammed so rather than wait for them to remake it, I sat with my glass of water and watched everyone else eat.  I felt worse for my husband and friends than I did for myself.  After that experience I chose to stay home for meals.  My husband and I love movies and see every Oscar nominated movie in the major categories.  We love going to dinner after the movie to discuss it.  I am looking at the menus at restaurants near theaters we go to and determining which ones would be the easiest for me to find an appropriate dish.  I have also called a couple to ask if they are able to modify a dish.  I find some restaurants are more accommodating than others.  I realize that if I want to continue to eat this way I have to learn to eat in restaurants.  I also have to realize that after this whole45 is over, I will not be as anxious about accidentally ingesting something I am not supposed to and having to start over.  Will your husband be satisfied with wings and a beer at home?  There is a great recipe for roasted chicken wings in "All About Roasting" by Molly Stevens that is compliant if you sub ghee for the butter in the recipe.  I'd be happy to share it with you if you are interested.

The joint pain in my hips had been so bad that it often kept me from sleeping...

...There is a great recipe for roasted chicken wings in "All About Roasting" by Molly Stevens that is compliant if you sub ghee for the butter in the recipe.  I'd be happy to share it with you if you are interested.

Yay, glad you're here with us for another 15, cookin'mama!   :)

Sorry to hear about the hip pain, hopefully that's getting better--to me there's nothing worse than hip pain- I've been doing a few yoga videos from "Do Yoga With Me", and I have found their hip ones are very helpful! 

Ok, this All About Roasting cookbook...are there a lot of compliant meals in this, or is it just a good cookbook about roasting that with knowledge of how to modify recipes to make something compliant you can figure it out? Sounds right up my alley, i'll have to check this one out!! 

Cookin'mama's post go me to think to ask the group....

1. What's your go to cookbook for cooking Whole30 (so far)? 

2. What's your favorite recipe you've tried (either for the first time or a repeat) and why? 

For me, my 1. is Well Fed-- there are just an abundant ways to do things int his book, and great ideas for trying new things.. I also love the way she writes about her journey and what has worked for her and some of the other ways you can prepare the dish-- I have Well Fed2 but I haven't gotten as deep into that one yet.

My answer to #2 is some pulled pork I did the other day in a covered dutch oven...I just covered it with marjoram and cumin (weird i know) and let it roast for a few hours in there, i did have to "drain" off the liquids every hour, but it turned out wonderfully...I would like to try a few different recipes for this, as I really enjoy pulled pork, or carnitas.

I'm down 14.5 pounds.  I've got a long way to go, but my being overweight didn't happen overnight so I've got to figure that it's going to be a long road to total fitness.  More important though, is that I am feeling better which is the real reason for doing this. 

Feeling better makes doing everything easier!

Cookin'mama's post go me to think to ask the group....

1. What's your go to cookbook for cooking Whole30 (so far)? 

2. What's your favorite recipe you've tried (either for the first time or a repeat) and why? 

1. At this stage it has been Well-Fed as well.  It's a really easy and interesting cookbook.  I am wanting to pick-up Nom-nom Paleo though, because there are a few recipes I've made from her website that are the bomb!

2. It's still pulled pork.  I found the recipe last summer on my fist try at the Whole30 and it is amazing.  Its from everydaypaleo.com http://everydaypaleo.com/beyond-easy-pulled-pork/ it's so simple and has a ton of flavor.  If I pair it with coleslaw made with just balsamic and olive oil everyone loves it. 

• Administrators

Hi, everyone!  I am in for another 15 days!

I can certainly see why staying off the scale is so important during a whole30.  I think that I would have been very discouraged and more likely to cheat had I known how little weight I had lost.  I have lost 7.7 pounds.  I usually lose that much when I do my seasonal ten day cleanses. 

Do you eat properly when you're on a 10 day cleanse?  I mean like really EAT?  Mounds of veggies and good portions of protein and a reasonable amount of fat, 3 times a day at least?  Or are you basically starving yourself? ;) I'm not trying to be a smart ass...much.  ;)  You lost nearly 8 pounds (2/week) eating lots of delicious real food.  That's 8 pounds lost while nourishing your body with healthy whole foods.  Not 8 pounds lost on cayenne and maple syrup or Wild Rose or whatever cleanse you do.  Yay you!!!!!!!!    

Jenn, thanks for the link to the yoga!  I will check it out.

The "All About Roasting" cookbook is not a paleo cookbook.  The book focuses on the principles of roasting meats and vegetables and many recipes call for dairy and alcohol. I am pretty good at adapting recipes.

I like the Well Fed cookbooks and I like Nom Nom Paleo and the Against the Grain cookbooks, too. I read websites and blogs for ideas.   I just got I cookbook that I am really excited about, Everyday Paleo Thai Cuisine by Sarah Fragoso.  A lot of the recipes are not whole30 compliant because they call for honey or maple syrup. I am looking forward to delving into that one after this is over.  

I tried this shepherd's pie recipe for the first time and liked it a lot.  I made the cauliflower topping a little differently but it was probably my favorite recipe this month. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/12/28/paleo-comfort-food-cottage-flower-pie/

Kboom, that pulled pork recipes looks wonderful.  I am going to give it a try this weekend.

Ladyshanny, the 10 day cleanses that I do are based on eating whole, unprocessed, nutrient dense foods.  I start my day with warm lemon water and drink plenty of water throughout the day. Bone broth is a go to food during the cleanse as are organic fruits and vegetables.  Nuts, seeds, and sprouted legumes are permitted, as are local pastured raised meats. Participants are encouraged to eat as much as they want of approved foods.  Caffeine is not permitted.  During the cleanse I try to not only nourish myself with food but with detoxifying treatments such as massage, infrared sauna, and hot epsom salt and baking soda baths. I journal and meditate daily. I don't really know anything about a cayenne and maple syrup cleanse and have never heard of a Wild Rose cleanse.  I'd love to hear about your experiences with them.  Thanks for the support!

So I weighed and measured myself today and am feeling a bit discouraged. Only lost a little over a pound and really not much of anything in inches. I didn't have any slips. I think i should probably add more exercise and try to eat my dinners earlier. Maybe this will help. It was not that hard for me to stay compliant because I was eating paleo already. On the positive side my skin and eyes are clearer, and my sleep and energy are better. I just generally feel like a healthier person.

My favorite cookbooks are Well Fed and Well Fed 2, as well as Nom Nom Paleo and the Nom Nom Paleo app. The app is amazing! My favorite dishes from the Well Fed books are Tajmahal Chicken, Nanking Chicken, Sunrise Scramble, Crispy Collards, Broccoli Salad, Old School Tomato Sauce and Czech Meatballs. From Nom Nom I like the Thai Curry Chicken and the Stir Fry Kelp Noodles.

1. At this stage it has been Well-Fed as well.  It's a really easy and interesting cookbook.  I am wanting to pick-up Nom-nom Paleo though, because there are a few recipes I've made from her website that are the bomb!

2. It's still pulled pork.  I found the recipe last summer on my fist try at the Whole30 and it is amazing.  Its from everydaypaleo.com http://everydaypaleo.com/beyond-easy-pulled-pork/ it's so simple and has a ton of flavor.  If I pair it with coleslaw made with just balsamic and olive oil everyone loves it. 

I too, can't wait to try that pulled pork recipe!!!!

• Administrators

Jenn, thanks for the link to the yoga!  I will check it out.

The "All About Roasting" cookbook is not a paleo cookbook.  The book focuses on the principles of roasting meats and vegetables and many recipes call for dairy and alcohol. I am pretty good at adapting recipes.

I like the Well Fed cookbooks and I like Nom Nom Paleo and the Against the Grain cookbooks, too. I read websites and blogs for ideas.   I just got I cookbook that I am really excited about, Everyday Paleo Thai Cuisine by Sarah Fragoso.  A lot of the recipes are not whole30 compliant because they call for honey or maple syrup. I am looking forward to delving into that one after this is over.  

I tried this shepherd's pie recipe for the first time and liked it a lot.  I made the cauliflower topping a little differently but it was probably my favorite recipe this month. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/12/28/paleo-comfort-food-cottage-flower-pie/

Kboom, that pulled pork recipes looks wonderful.  I am going to give it a try this weekend.

Ladyshanny, the 10 day cleanses that I do are based on eating whole, unprocessed, nutrient dense foods.  I start my day with warm lemon water and drink plenty of water throughout the day. Bone broth is a go to food during the cleanse as are organic fruits and vegetables.  Nuts, seeds, and sprouted legumes are permitted, as are local pastured raised meats. Participants are encouraged to eat as much as they want of approved foods.  Caffeine is not permitted.  During the cleanse I try to not only nourish myself with food but with detoxifying treatments such as massage, infrared sauna, and hot epsom salt and baking soda baths. I journal and meditate daily. I don't really know anything about a cayenne and maple syrup cleanse and have never heard of a Wild Rose cleanse.  I'd love to hear about your experiences with them.  Thanks for the support!

Well that's refreshing to hear! Most "cleanses" that people go on are, in fact, not at all like you describe. They are 10 day starvation plans that rely on one "nutrient" and cause excess purging etc. The maple syrup and cayenne one you can google and read the comments on some of those forums, they are absolutely tragic. Part of that one is to also chug a huge glass of excessively salted water in order to make you either vomit or have raging diarrhea....every morning for 10 days. People actually do that crap! (I've never done anything like that.....but have done my research so I know what people are talking about).

I would hate to put my body through that!! I got roped into a cleanse once, from a friend who was "selling" this product called Isagenix, and I just couldn't stand it--it was based on shakes during the day instead of meals, then these weird chocolate supplements-- i returned it all and got my money back, it was GROSS!!

So have you all seen this? The Dirty30 Group did a really cool challenge (actually they've done it 2x) where they had a ingredient of the day and then posted some really good recipes related to that recipe-- check it out if you're stuck in a rutt with what you're cooking (like I was earlier this week) http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20736-ingredient-of-the-day-links-for-each-day-of-whole-30/

I got on the scale this morning, only because I want my Aria to recognize me...and today it finally did! I was down another pound, incidentally! Now I will stay off it until the end of my 45. 

I have my nephew tonight, and I'm sure he's going to want to get something very yummy from one of the nearby barbecue joints, because that's what he's in love with right now; shouldn't be a problem though- I have a great idea what I'm going to make that he might end up being jealous about!! I got some Aidell's Chicken and apple sausages at Costco today, and I'm going to brown them up and serve with some sauerkraut! YUM! very excited to try these sausages, I've heard mixed reviews- have any of you used them before?

Ladyshanny, I had a friend who used to do the maple syrup, lemon juice, and cayenne aka "Master Cleanse" for two weeks at a time to lose weight. I didn't ever do the MC for any lengthy periods, but I used to sometimes do it for a day or two when fasting for spiritual purposes. It's also a great drink for when you have a cold, sore throat or flu - clears the sinuses right up! My kids loved it when I made it for them when they were sick. I think my friend did the salt water thing as well. I never did that, but I do find gargling with salt water helps when I feel a sore throat coming on.

This same friend also did the Wild Rose Herbal Cleanse (WRHC) with her husband. We hadn't seen them for awhile and they looked positively radiant. They hadn't just lost weight, they'd each lost a decade. My husband suggested that we should think about doing the WRHC as well. I thought about it, but not for very long, before I vetoed the idea. I had tried the WRHC it once years before and had to quit three days in. The herbs were making me sick. I had violent stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. Some might say those were just detox symptoms, but I had three little kids to look after and a husband who was working out of town two weeks at a time, so it was just more trouble than it was worth.

However, I did the Sambu Elderberry Cleanse successfully twice. The first time was because I had been suffering from a mysterious bacterial infection that had set in following a terrible bout of the flu one winter. My doctor had prescribed heavy duty antibiotics but I had a horrible allergic reaction to them. The cramps from those pills was worse than childbirth. And I'm not a wimp; I gave birth 3 times, 100% drug-free. After experiencing several months of chronic fatigue, I was tired of being tired. I found out about the Sambu Elderberry Cleanse and decided to give it a try. I didn't need to lose weight; I'd lost plenty the previous winter being sick. Anyway, by the end of the Elderberry Cleanse, my energy had come back and I felt like myself again. I did the cleanse again ten years later and had similar good results. 

But the best thing I ever did for my health was give up wheat 14 years ago. I haven't felt the need to do a cleanse since.

Going grain,dairy and sugar-free with the Whole30 is kicking me up to a whole new level of well-being.  

As a newbie here, I'm hesitant to jump in with this, but something is bothering me:

I'm actually kind of disappointed to see people here still focusing on the number on the scales. I see other results being mentioned as well, but it almost seems like an afterthought and the number on the scales still reigns supreme as the ultimate indicator of success.

I confess, I did step on the scales this morning. The number I saw there didn't make me want to do a happy dance nor did it make me feel in the least disappointed. It simply isn't important enough to elicit an emotional response one way or the other. This wasn't always the case.

I broke my scales addiction a couple of years ago. I stashed the stupid thing under the bed and would only allow myself to weigh-in once per week, then I decided once per month was enough. Dragging the scales out from under the bed and taking it to the bathroom (it didn't work on the carpet in the bedroom) was an annoyance and eventually the intervals between weigh-ins got longer and longer. After 20+ yrs, the battery finally died and we couldn't find a replacement. I took it to recycling and was quite happy to be rid of the thing once and for all. We didn't have a scales in the house for almost a year when my husband went out and bought a new one so that my son could weigh himself. (DS works out and wants to gain weight.) I was kind of annoyed about it, but I realized that nobody is forcing me to step on the damn thing, so I mostly just ignore it.

Now I use the fit of my jeans fit as the primary indicator of where my weight is at. I'll weigh myself if I'm sufficiently alarmed that they're getting a little too tight or, conversely, if they're feeling noticeably looser. But I refuse to let the scales be anything more than an objective tool for feedback.

I thought part of the Whole30 was to do a psychological reset which includes taking back the power from the almighty scales.

I can't remember if I read it in ISWF or somewhere on the Whole30 website, but isn't there a quote from Dallas saying "Don't do anything to lose weight, but do everything to gain health."

• Administrators

amieK, your newbie status has no bearing on your participation in any of the discussions around the forum.  :)

You make a moderator proud though and we wish that more (everyone) had the same attitude that you do!  You're in somewhat of a minority because while many people do stay off the scale for at least the 30 days, so very many of them judge their entire results based on that little glowing number and that is sad and is stripping those people of the joy and pride that they should be feeling by gaining their health.

I don't have a scale that works.  It doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know besides the effect of the earth's gravity on my physical form.  

Archived