Jenn1270

Why are you continuing?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you want to continue?

• I want to see some benefits (my tiger blood just hit or hasn't hit yet)
    • I'm afraid to go back to my bad eating habits
    • I like eating like this
    • Other - tell us in your post

Day 32 and I went out for lunch with a friend today.  First time since week 1!  We went to Five Guys Burgers and I got a burger with a lettuce wrap, tomato and grilled onions.  A little bland, but filled me up and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.  Phew!

@CookinMama, I've made wings a few times during this Whole30 and everyone was happy.  The part about going out for "wings and beer" is more the time together, which I am missing as well.  We have 3 kids (teenagers) and one of them has fairly severe ADHD and she causes us a lot of stress and worry, as well hubby works nights so we don't typically see each other except for the weekends.  We have gotten into the routine of a weekly meal out to talk about all the crazy and re-connect.  I just need to figure out how to get that time in and stay compliant.  Which is why I'm thinking that past 45 days I'm going to relax the rules and be ok with a sneaky sugar or peanut oil. :D

@amieK, with the scale thing. It's tough.  I would love to throw out my scale and never look at it again, but some of us are newer to the idea of not weighing.  I used to weigh myself every single day and would obsess about the number.  I have weaned myself off of it, and now feel relatively cool about only weighing once a month or so.  But while I am loving the physical benefits of feeling better and sleeping better, etc. I really do need to lose some weight and, as with giving up bread (what will you eat for lunch?!) we have been conditioned for many years to see that scale as failure or success.  30 days is not going to re-program that little nugget out of our brains.  Good for you with letting it go, I'm hoping that I, too, can break the chain!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to echo Kboom's sentiments on the scale issue--all of our goals are being worked on, and getting on the scale has forever been a measurement of success for some of us. For me, since my pants aren't fitting better, yet, I used it yesterday to see what progress i have made, because for the past 18 months I haven't lost weight in any of the previous attempts. During this Whole30, I knew that I was making progress, because my stomach shape is different, and my face is much slimmer and less inflamed. And since my scale is programmed to know which user in the house is which, and that it didn't recognize me yesterday, i wanted to see if it would fix itself today-- that's really the only reason for today's weigh in. There are some of us who are just into data, also. I collect data on my habits, just as I do when i write down what i eat to see if there are different affects on my body because of what i ate--

I also know that my scale's body fat measurement is dead on (it's been side-by-side compared to a hydrostatic body fat under water tank), and to me that's a VERY important figure to know and understand...when we start burning fat during the Whole30 (and beyond) this number should be moving for me...this is a measurement I will continue to want to see. 

Everyone's different on a lot of things, tastes, reasons, goals, and even issues :)

Happy almost friday everyone, and for me payday friday!!! 

Thanks amieK for reminding me not to focus too much on the scale.  Honestly I was focusing a lot on my dssapointment about not loosing much weight and it was overriding all the other positive things I accomplished ont he Whole30.  I have weighed myself everyday for years and it can certainly influence how I feel that particular day.  It was increadibly freeing to not be so tied to the scale for the last month or counting  everything I ate.  I think those things can cause you to hyper focus on food and successes and failures, rather than seeing the bigger picture.  

I haven't gotten bored of eggs for breakfast, because honestly I could eat eggs all the time. However this morning I was out of eggs and my weekly shopping occurs tomorrow…I had Ground beef, spinach, and a sweet potato this morning at 5:30 and it was YUMMY! My nephew spent the night and his pizza looked good last night but not quite as yummy as my sauerkraut and aidell's sausage- he wanted to taste it but not the sauerkraut- he said the name alone made him want to stay away!!

Happy Friday's Y'all- day 33 looks like it's a great one!

I love eggs too! But they're not allowed on the Auto Immune Protocol which I think I could really find some benefit from doing.

The idea of saying bye-bye to eggs for a month has me really bummed out. Eggs are just so convenient. I always keep a few hard-boiled eggs in the fridge as an emergency protein source. And omelets are a good solution when you've forgotten to take something out of the freezer for dinner.

So I've been taking a practice run at making breakfasts without eggs. The past 2 mornings I've had homemade chicken soup for breakfast. I call it my "Flu Fighter" soup. It's made with homemade chicken stock, leftover bits of roast chicken, onions. celery, carrots, kale, Italian parsley, lots of ginger & garlic, and seasoned with turmeric and cayenne.

Jenn1270, your ground beef and spinach hash does sound yummy! I'll have to sub some leftover butternut squash for the sweet potato, but I'm going to try it.

hi folks -- I'm really glad that there are some folks continuing on this journey! I thought about starting the reintro phase on day 31 and even had a plan, but then I didn't want the humus I had brought for lunch and instead stuck with the salad and hardboiled egg & handful of cashews...so here I am day 33 and still going! I am happy about feeling healthier after a month of clean eating and I know I've lost weight because my clothes are fitting differently. I'm not tied to watching the scale, but weight loss is a goal that I have and I'm glad about what I have achieved so far. But I'm happier about changing what I eat and changing my behaviors - I didn't think I could not snack between meals, and I have found that I can do it just fine. I splurged and got one of those mandoline veggie slicers and it is totally awesome! I have to travel again next week, but this time I know what to bring with me and have a plan with a little cooler all set!

SO my waist is definitely smaller on Day 23, and my clothes fit differently - better! I've always had to lumber out of bed and move like the tin man, all rust and frozen joints, until things warm up and I can walk like a human, lol.  These days, my joints feel really good, and there's less freezing up whn I sit too long, less bloating, less pain.  I feel enough of a difference not to want to stop.  I may eventually eat the occasional chocolate, but for now I'm happy to stay on it.  It's surprisingly easy, and if my family really wants something I can't have, I just pop a chicken breast in the oven, a sweet potato in the microwave, and I blanche some veggies or make a salad for me.  Often I can emulate what they're having and I don't feel deprived.  If it's something like pizza, even though I might have desperately wanted a piece at the beginning, and felt deprived, by the end of my clean meal I felt great, coming more fuel than entertainment, although I still do the fruit "dessert"and I remembered how yuck I felt when I did eat th pizza.  My husband's reaction when he eats it is enough to remind me, if I've forgotten.  I really don't miss the bloating, the cramps, the fatigue, etc. Food is becoming fuel instead of entertainment, although I still do the fruit "dessert".  Comsidering where I came from, though, I'm very happy. 

Today is Day 34 and my 4th morning without coffee. For several mornings, I haven't had that raw throat feeling from acid reflux when I wake up. Maybe the difference is due to not drinking coffee??

Meredithm1 mentioned not feeling like the tin man anymore when she gets out of bed in the morning. I've noticed the same kind of improvement.

I'm quite pleased with the results from my first Whole30(40) . . . there are a few more Whole30s in my future; I need to resolve some leaky gut issues, the legacy of 36 yrs of eating wheat.

Oh wow, I had my VERY first craving yesterday-- my mind just said "you really want one of those amazing cupcakes from Small Cakes"; and it was insanely strong. I can't believe it's taken this long to do that to me, but it was just a long long day at work, and i was tired, and maybe even a little hungry, which I imagine is what drove my brain to do this to me. I did really well though. I drove straight home from work and cooked up some rosemary chicken and veggies, and was fine...but I'm telling you it was STRONG.

Today I had a lovely lunch with an old friend at my first restaurant out since starting the Whole 30--I had hangar steak and a side salad- and this restaurant is very farm to table and conscientious, so i called ahead and talked to someone about what I could order!!! I was in heaven and it was great to catch up with my friend! She was curious about W30, but she's VERY vegetarian "ish"...she only eats wild caught fish, but no other meats...do any of you know if people can do W30 on fish alone? i imagine you can, but variety might become difficult. 

Ugh!  Drinking salt water to induce vomiting is not my idea of a cleanse.  I love that a cleanse at my local wellness center focuses not only on nourishing the body but the mind.  Quieting the mental noise is so rejuvenating.

Jenn, thanks for the dirty30 ingredient link.  It is a great resource.

AmieK, congratulations on breaking your scale addiction!  I think it is a tough addiction to break because it is legal!   B)  I admire your ability to gauge where you are by how your jeans fit.  I tend to hide the jeans that become tight in the back of my closet and pretend they don’t exist.

Kboom, I can identify with needing a time away with the spouse.  I hope that you can find a restaurant that works for both of you.

Jenn, I think that you mean that your friend is very pescetarian-ish, as vegetarians do not eat flesh.  I think it is very possible to do a whole30 eating only fish.  There are so many species of fish that many of us do not even think about eating. I live in New England so there tends to be a great variety.  I would imagine living inland would be more challenging.

It is Oscar season, so my husband and I went to see two movies today.  Raw cashews were tucked in my handbag, just in case.  The movie theater we went to still pops its own corn and slathers it in real butter.  It smells fabulous while popping and I feared a craving. I loved the aroma, but had no desire for the grain in dairy.

Dinner tonight was shepherd’s pie, roasted butternut squash, and pole beans.  So good!

I am currently on day 28. I am continuing past 30 days because of all the reasons listed. I have had days here and there of tiger blood, but not steadily. The last few days have definitely Not been tiger blood. Today I spent a good portion of the day sleeping. I also want to get some more weight off. I have not weighed myself, but I know I have not lost much weight because I still can't stand long without my back hurting me because of my weight. I'm 56 and I don't care as such what I look like, but because I can't walk far without running out of breath.

But I have definitely had quite a few days of tiger blood, and I like how it feels. So I am going to stick with this program a while longer.

I am just going to take it one day at a time.

Yesterday was difficult for me too.

I was having one of those grumpy "I am so over this" kind of days.

But I forced myself into the kitchen, I was out of mayo, so I had to make a new batch.

I used part of the mayo to make a caesar(ish) dressing for dinner.

Then I roasted a couple of butternut squash. I was craving carbs, so I had a bowl of the roasted squash topped with some reheated leftover beef & vegetable stew for lunch.

Dinner was roast beef; more butternut squash, this time drizzled with drippings from the roast pan; and a huge salad with greenleaf lettuce, green onions, radishes, cucumber, and tomato, tossed with creamy caesar dressing.

I feel like that was a lot of butternut squash yesterday, but it satisfied the carb cravings.

Today is new day, Day 35 and counting . . .

(Funny thing, I stopped counting the days around Day 16, then I started counting again once I hit Day 28.)

Yesterday was difficult for me too.

I was having one of those grumpy "I am so over this" kind of days.

But I forced myself into the kitchen, I was out of mayo, so I had to make a new batch.

I used part of the mayo to make a caesar(ish) dressing for dinner.

Then I roasted a couple of butternut squash. I was craving carbs, so I had a bowl of the roasted squash topped with some reheated leftover beef & vegetable stew for lunch.

Dinner was roast beef; more butternut squash, this time drizzled with drippings from the roast pan; and a huge salad with greenleaf lettuce, green onions, radishes, cucumber, and tomato, tossed with creamy caesar dressing.

I feel like that was a lot of butternut squash yesterday, but it satisfied the carb cravings.

Today is new day, Day 35 and counting . . .

(Funny thing, I stopped counting the days around Day 16, then I started counting again once I hit Day 28.)

Sounds like you made some delicious items even though it was a rough day--way to power through--I too made roasted butternut squash, and it hit the spot for me-- i hadn't though about having that and did it on a whim, and it was delicious!

Jen1270, I know what you mean!  I've had those insane cravings, mostly for chocolate.  Thay are REALLY strong, and I made the mistake of going grocery shopping hungry yesterday.  It would ave been so easy to crack, but I'm proud to say I didnt.  Until today (Day 26) it's been pretty easy to stay on track, except for those occasional monster cravings.  This is the first day, though, that I really got tired of the restrictions.  Have any of you experienced that?  I really want to stay very close to this way of eating for the long-term, but I did feel like chucking it this afternoon.  That said, I've hung tough, and can claim another successful day...;-)  How was yours?

Well, it's official. I cannot keep cashews in the house unless I need them for a specific recipe. :( I tried, I really did, but they are my FWB. I thought I could overcome this, but for now they will be only bought if I'm making something which calls for them. LeSigh. So sad. #nocontrol #loveCashews 

What's your food without brakes? Have you overcome it? How did you do it?

Meredithm1- I think the cravings is what tells us that we're tired of the restrictions..it's like that one devil on the shoulder whispering in my ear kinda thing! But everytime I start cooking some amazing Whole30 compliant dish, all that chatter leaves me. I've gone through that, and I don't know if it'll ever go away....one of the best ways to help me not throw it out the window is by being prepared before each meal for the meal-- that way I can't just throw up my hands and say "well i don't have anything to eat"....Congrats on claiming another successful day!!

I made the most succulent amazing dish last night from Well Fed 2--Thyme-braised short ribs....wow, wow, wow. wow! Just unbelievable yummy

Jen1270, I know what you mean!  I've had those insane cravings, mostly for chocolate.  Thay are REALLY strong, and I made the mistake of going grocery shopping hungry yesterday.  It would ave been so easy to crack, but I'm proud to say I didnt.  Until today (Day 26) it's been pretty easy to stay on track, except for those occasional monster cravings.  This is the first day, though, that I really got tired of the restrictions.  Have any of you experienced that?  I really want to stay very close to this way of eating for the long-term, but I did feel like chucking it this afternoon.  That said, I've hung tough, and can claim another successful day...;-)  How was yours?

Yeah, mine are fresh dates (so squishily delicious) and these ridiculously yummy lemon roasted almond.  Nothing but lemon and almonds, but OMG. Once this bag is gone, I don't hink I'll buy another.  Chocolate was my other go-to sncak food, but I had little to no control, so I'm glad to get rid of it, in spite of massive cravings now and then.  I'm trying to cut out snacks altogether, but I'm a musician with a young son, so my days can be very long.  Up in the am at 6, and sometimes not in bed until 2.  (Not often, happily, but midnight- one am easily when I have a show.  One of the tings I'm happiest about is breaking my fast food after show habit.  I live far from the city, so I usually have to kill an hour or more on the road.  I always told myself I was starving AND the meal helped me stay awake, but I really don't miss it at all, and this month was chock full of late-night temptation and shows.  Anyway, the stretch between 6 am and 2 am just isn't covered by three meals, so I try to snack on a combo of protein or fat and fruit of veggie.  But I think the dates and almonds will have to be less present in our house...:-P

Dried fruit is a FWB for me as well. I knew that before I started, so I didn't include any on my Whole30. 

I find that nuts are really easy to snack on mindlessly too. I noticed that I was feeling yucky after eating nuts about halfway through the program, so I stopped eating them. But I did include 1/2 cup of ground almonds in a meatloaf recipe early this week and didn't notice any ill effects. Nuts aren't included on the auto-immune protocol, so I'm going to be faced with eliminating them altogether on my next Whole30. Might as well practice now.

I ate so much butternut squash the other day, I was worried that it might be a FWB for me. But I didn't crave any yesterday, so maybe it was just a one-off thing.

Day 36 and this morning I noticed a marked improvement the keratosis pilaris (aka chicken skin) that I've had on my upper arms since I was a teenager. The spots are still there but there are far fewer raised bumps.

Jenn1270, that recipe for Thyme-braised short ribs looks delicious. Just yesterday, I bought a new bottle of thyme . . . now I'm going to have to track down some short ribs. Thanks for sharing.

Well, day 34 was my final day strict Whole30.  I did so well, and I'm really proud of myself actually.  On Saturday morning we had no food to speak of in the house so we took the kids out for breakfast.  I was fully compliant, had a spinach omlette with a fruit salad and black tea.  Then I had a practice for a performance I am a part of at the end of the month and we were dancing around for a good hour, brought along 2 hardboiled eggs and a complaint pepperoni stick and a half cucumber.  It was when hubby and I finally went out on a long-overdue date night that I slipped.  I had a steak with shrimp, steamed veggies and.....a hard lemonade.  To be honest, it wasn't that good.  But I was just tired of drinking water and tea and I made the decision to have it.  We went out to a movie after (it was an awful movie!) and I had a bottle of water and was completely satisfied.  I ate fully compliant yesterday, even though we spent the afternoon at the in-laws house with crackers and cheese, I brought alone my own complaint lunch.

So yeah, I went off plan.  The plan from here on in is to keep Whole30ing my way through my days and off-road when it feels right.  I have learned a lot over the past 36 days but I'm ready to losen the reigns a little and not worry if there is a little sugar added to some beef jerkey or if my eggs have been cooked in butter.

Thanks for the support everyone and good luck on the next week or two!

Well, day 34 was my final day strict Whole30.  I did so well, and I'm really proud of myself actually.  On Saturday morning we had no food to speak of in the house so we took the kids out for breakfast.  I was fully compliant, had a spinach omlette with a fruit salad and black tea.  Then I had a practice for a performance I am a part of at the end of the month and we were dancing around for a good hour, brought along 2 hardboiled eggs and a complaint pepperoni stick and a half cucumber.  It was when hubby and I finally went out on a long-overdue date night that I slipped.  I had a steak with shrimp, steamed veggies and.....a hard lemonade.  To be honest, it wasn't that good.  But I was just tired of drinking water and tea and I made the decision to have it.  We went out to a movie after (it was an awful movie!) and I had a bottle of water and was completely satisfied.  I ate fully compliant yesterday, even though we spent the afternoon at the in-laws house with crackers and cheese, I brought alone my own complaint lunch.

So yeah, I went off plan.  The plan from here on in is to keep Whole30ing my way through my days and off-road when it feels right.  I have learned a lot over the past 36 days but I'm ready to losen the reigns a little and not worry if there is a little sugar added to some beef jerkey or if my eggs have been cooked in butter.

Thanks for the support everyone and good luck on the next week or two!

CONGRATULATIONS on such an awesome Whole30(and beyond)!!! You have been such a support  here and I look forward to hearing how you continue to progress! Stop by now and again to say hi! 

I love the Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks but needed to shake things up a bit to re-energize me on my Whole60 journey.  I have been using the Nom Nom Paleo app and I love it!  I have made some terrific recipies and honestly not one has been a flop!  Also for my carb cravings I make a lot of rooasted veggies wtih spices and coconut oil.  I am sure to include sweet potatoes, and butternut squash for the carb cravings as well as carrots, brussel sprouts, beets and parsnips.  It is very satisfying!  

Oh man, today the cravings are strong :( I'm not sure what it's asking for, but my lunch was very unsatisfying and ho-hum. If i have ONE more chicken thigh, I think I might lose it! Fortunately, this evening, I have my lovely Thyme-braised short ribs waiting for me! :) However, I might do some sea scallops...hmmm..I'm dreaming about what I want now to keep me focused off the cravings for something non-compliant.

It's been a long day at work too, which is difficult even without cravings!

My clothes are really starting to feel different-- today at my workout my trainer even said that I'm starting to look different!! 

Ok, have to get back at it, but I needed to vent about my brain leading me down a path I don't like...I can make it!

Hello everyone!

I am still here. I'm feeling better than ever! I feel so good that I am afraid to try anything I have taken out of my diet. I still get an occasional craving. I'm having one as I write this. I am sure it is stress related. (it is one of those days)I plan to ride it out. I have found I can't keep cashews in the house. I just cant stop at a few. I have been making my own almond milk for my coffee. It's ok. Not wonderful. Good luck to everyone! You are all so inspirational!!

Take Care

Shannonmommy

Archived