Jenn1270

Why are you continuing?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you want to continue?

• I want to see some benefits (my tiger blood just hit or hasn't hit yet)
    • I'm afraid to go back to my bad eating habits
    • I like eating like this
    • Other - tell us in your post

Day 39 was my last day on a strict whole30.  This has been a great experience and I plan on transitioning to a paleo diet. 

Benefits of my whole30

Been sleeping for 7-8 hrs each night.  I used to wake up at 2-3 in the morning and not be able to fall asleep.

Aches and pains have gone away

Learned a lot about what is in the food we eat.  Helps me make good choices with food.

I feel more alert with even energy throughout the day.

Little things that used to bother me don't seem that important anymore.

Lost around 10 pounds.  

Downside of my Whole 30

Organic fruits and vegetables are expensive and hard to find in southern, MO

Grass fed beef is expensive and hard to find in southern, MO

Everything you can eat on a whole30 is expensive.

Cooking one meal for me and another for my family was getting old.

Going out to eat and staying compliant is nearly impossible.

Running my normal 60-80 miles per month was harder.

Thanks to everybody for all the posts I read that kept me fed and encouraged along the way!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On day 39.  Having lots of cravings but trying to hold stedfast.  I am having a very hard time finding time to exercise which I know would help with this process.  I work full time and have a family.  I work a lot of nights so need to catch up on sleep in the morning.  It's tough to figure out where to fit it in.  

On day 39.  Having lots of cravings but trying to hold stedfast.  I am having a very hard time finding time to exercise which I know would help with this process.  I work full time and have a family.  I work a lot of nights so need to catch up on sleep in the morning.  It's tough to figure out where to fit it in.  

Res0718, Weird, I too had cravings yesterday-- maybe it's mercury coming out of retrograde  :D  :P  ;)

i agree that it's very hard to find the time to exercise...especially when you hear about all the good benefits of getting more sleep-- for me, a few days a week, I think that getting close to 8 hours of sleep is almost as beneficial as a workout!! It's just one of those things for me though that I have to make sure to do a few times a week...I have a ton of TV shows I have sitting on my DVR because I have to give up something to get my exercise in! 30 - 60 minutes a day I have to squeeze it in somewhere-- it's hard though!!m A friend of mine got a stationary bike for christmas because the trip to the gym then the workout was too much time-- now she gets on the bike in the basement after the kids are settled in or while they're doing their homework--it's be nice to have stuff at home to work out with-- I could do some of those yoga workouts at home I guess :) 

mcook512husband-- way to go!! great write up on your pros and cons!! 

@jenn

Thanks for your response. I wish I had room for some exercise equipment. I think that would definitely help. I generally like to power walk but it is so hard to keep at it when it's so cold. I do at least one spin class on the weekends and am going to try a new power yoga studio in the next few days. I am really trying to get going but alas as you said I tend to want to sleep these days rather than get up and get going!

I hear you Res0718, I don't have room for any exercise equipment either. I used to have an elliptical trainer in the spare room and I used it faithfully until it broke (it was a cheap model.) But now the spare room is being used for storage for my son's stuff. Sure would like to clear it out someday soon . . .

I bowed out on Day 39 . . . I made some kale soup that called for  a dollop of sour cream as a garnish. I was just going to skip it and let everyone else put it in their bowls, but I tasted the soup and it was kind of icky and bland. So I decided to add the sour cream to my bowl as well and it made all the difference. I didn't notice any ill effects at first, but I treated myself to a cup of coffee with cream this morning and now my throat feels little mucousy. Doesn't really surprise me that dairy is an issue, but I'm still kind of disappointed. I love cheese but it's probably going to be one of those once-in-awhile foods for me. 

I was going to start another Whole30 tomorrow, after celebrating Valentine's Day. But now I think that I'm going to wait until March 1. That will give me a couple of weeks to do a few re-introductions and to do some more reading.

Best of luck to all of you doing a Whole45 and beyond!

FYI, Kale soup recipe (I subbed acorn squash for the potato):  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/kale-potato-soup-with-bacon.html

Today is Day 30!  Woot!  I am not sure if I will add anything tomorrow.  But I think I need this thread as I transition,  whatever direction I go!  LOL  I appreciate reading people's experience.  I see my doctor later this week, so will weigh then.  She wanted me to weigh every 2 weeks, but I let her know it's not part of this plan, and it's never been a guiding force or motivator for me.  So, no big deal!  

The greatest change I have seen is that on Day 17 my doctor cut in half one of my diabetes meds.  That thrills me to no end!  My numbers are consistently lower, though I still have the early morning high numbers, which seems to be a bit stuck!  I also find my clothes are looser, and I have more energy.  I like these changes!  I also have lost my perpetual runny nose, my complexion is happier (noted by a friend) and I feel good about myself for taking charge of something in my life!  Hooray me!

Exercise is still frustrating.  I have MS, and walking is a struggle - certainly not the thing that will help with weight loss.  And gym membership is not in the budget, sadly.  But I do feel good!

Journey on!

I finished my Whole30 on Friday, just in time for Valentine's Day bacchanalia.  We had sushi, wine, and dessert, and I felt awful.  I'm pretty much back in the saddle now, and will be fully compliant again as of tomorrow.  I just read a post by someone that said they had NO cravings anymore, after to doing a Whole30 and then a Whole85 with a break in the middle.  That would be amazing.  I may be on the road there, since the non-comliant stuff I ate yesterday really made me feel terrible.  :-P

I finished my Whole30 on Friday, just in time for Valentine's Day bacchanalia.  We had sushi, wine, and dessert, and I felt awful.  I'm pretty much back in the saddle now, and will be fully compliant again as of tomorrow.  I just read a post by someone that said they had NO cravings anymore, after to doing a Whole30 and then a Whole85 with a break in the middle.  That would be amazing.  I may be on the road there, since the non-comliant stuff I ate yesterday really made me feel terrible.  :-P

Wow, congrats on Whole30 (and beyond!)-- I'm so sorry your meal made you feel terrible. I contemplated breaking things for 2 days for V day weekend, but I considered how I'd feel, and thought it not worth it just yet....I think I'm ready soon though to reintroduce dairy at least and see how that goes. My cravings didn't creep back in on me this weekend, which is always nice...I find that the cooking and prep is taking less time and i'm getting more creative, so that part is nice and enjoyable at least.

have a great day!!

I planned to do a Whole60. However, it's too long a story to go into, but I wasn't able to get home for lunch Friday as I planned and ended up going off plan for the rest of the day. But I am really loving the food and the improvements I am seeing so I am going to follow this 95/5 eating mostly at home and going off plan when I go out with friends. So right now I am going to clean my apartment for a while (not said by me much previous to this) and then going to cook a few whole30 dishes for the next week.

Ha, Susan, maybe there's something in the air, or the plan.  I went on a massive cleaning binge and cleared heaps of stuff out of a wooden armoire in my bedroom.  I breathe easier now, even though it's behind closed doors.  Just knowing I actually know what I have is wonderful.

Jenn1270, I actually didn't mind feeling terrible.  It was just the reinforcement I needed.  I'm happier knowing that there's something I can do to control how I feel, and that it's as simple as controlling what I eat.  Or at least food goes a long way toward determining how I feel.  In fact, yesterday I wasn't set up well, and ended up going off plan again for lunch. By 2:30, which is when I was finally able to find time to eat, I was so hungry I would have eaten a shoe.  Instead I had chicken noodle soup (homemade by hubby) and a ham and grilled cheese sandwich.  It was good, but not as delicious as I thought it would be, and again I felt gross.  Breakfast and dinner were compliant.  Today I weaned off chocolate and breakfast, lunch and dinner were again compliant.  Tomorrow I'll tackle the snacking (even healthy snacks) issue, and will be back on track entirely.    How was you day?

Oh wow, a grilled ham and cheese sounds delectable right now to me!

Things are going ok with me-- I got home pretty late from work last night, and was able to throw something together, but my veggie was oven roasted sweet potato and butternut squash cubes i had done on Sunday--I just didn't have it in me to figure out another veggie-- so that's pretty carb-y....I probably will feel that in my pants for the next two days--but oh well, it was just one of those days. 

My pulled pork I made (from kboom's link earlier in the thread) was absolutely delicious!! I am thinking it's right up there with my favorite recipe, the thyme-braised short ribs...YUM!

Ok, I think Thursday or Wednesday is day 45 for me...I think I'm going to introduce sprouted grain bread (ezekiel) and dairy (but not on the same days) and see how that goes for a bit...I love using ghee, but butter is so much more convenient for certain things. I'll probably continue making my ghee, because I like having the high heat cooking potential....and i'm not a big coconut oil fan- it makes everything taste like coconut-- yuck (to me)...

Ok, catch up with y'all later!!

Good morning:)

On day #40(Valentines Day) I decided to put some cream in my coffee. I enjoyed it but yesterday I made almond milk with less water and used that. I felt ok but I guess after complaining about my coffee for all of this time I am now used to drinking it with almond/coconut milk. I have stayed on track with my eating and I plan to continue. I feel so good that I am afraid to try anything else. I know I need to stay away from grains and sugar.

Have a great day and thanks for all of your support.

Shannonmommy

Shannonmommy, isn't it funny how get used to the new ways so quickly?  I now drink my coffee black, and I'm even thinking of giving it up altogether.  Jenn1270, you're not missing a thing, believe me.  It was good but not delectable, and I paid for it.  Still paying for it, in fact.  I understand about the carbs.  For the last two nights, in an attempt to transition back into the program (after only 3 days off! So much easier to just stay on...)  I've had baked potatoes.  Breakfast always includes part of a sweet potato.  I'm very active, so I figure I use the energy, but I'll have to check my pants no, lolol!

Oh Wow, yeah, happy 45 Everyone!!! I had a rough day- got home and didn't even eat dinner, just went to bed...this morning I decided I'm going to reintroduce sprouted grains (on Saturday) and then on Tuesday I'll try dairy...but those are the only 2 I want to deal with....today I think I'm going to treat myself to a nice compliant day and I might make a "dessert" but it will just be fruit. 

Things I gained from my Whole 45:

1. I do not snack at all anymore. 
  2. I eat only 3 meals a day.
  3. I have lost weight, although I don't know how much right now, I will know that tomorrow. I have resolved to weigh myself just to see 1x a month.
  4. My workouts have become more effective...I'm better at eating a pre-WO meal now too, so they're even more effective.
  5. I am loving cooking again, I hope that doesn't fade, I used to cook all the time, but I let my lifestyle determine my cooking (or non-cooking) efforts 
  6. I think I'm sleeping better- but I slept fairly well before my W30/45
  7. I do not have these weird Sebaceous cysts on my scalp anymore! yay, those were painful...

Things I'd like to try to improve:

1. My cardio endurance while on a W30
  2. turning off devices after 8pm (maybe keep my kindle as the exception, it's not backlit- it's an old style kind)
  3. keep better track of the items i liked cooking.

Wow, I just realized, today while waiting for my car at the service place, I had a coffee, and I added some of the mini-moos (half-and-half)...that was the VERY first NON compliant W30 item I have had in the past 46.2 days!!! And thus I begin reintroduction of dairy--an hour in I notice nothing yet. I shall see, but I don't know what else I'll be able to incorporate today, as I have no dairy in the house or office, and I will be working all day with no stops to be able to get to the store for something until late, near dinner time... are these mini-moos enough to test reintroduction to dairy?? 

Well reintroduction did not go as planned. Friday was my day I had some half-n-half-- i noticed later that evening my nose was stopped up. Worse on Saturday when I woke up. 

Saturday I was compliant until after dinner time - my family and I were out, and then I had ice cream after dinner....I just wanted it, and it tasted great. But Sunday I woke up with the worst stuffy nose. I had to do my netty pot 2 times! So dairy (and of course the sugar) had their effects on me, and I did not like them.

Sunday day went well to get back on compliant"ness"....Sunday in the night I woke up with a horrible stomachahce, and that went into the morning Monday. I was able to stay compliant Monday, but felt crappy, and I didn't even want to eat dinner.

Today (Tuesday) is going much better so far. I feel a bit weak, but I'm getting my foods and water in so that's an improvement over yesterday!

Onward I go. I'm joining a group that is going to focus on a different core principle from the Whole 9, each month...you can follow the thread here http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25462-how-about-a-whole9-challenge/ We start in March!

Archived