I'd rather be fat/unhealthy than walk around with this rash on my face

kbla

I'm on Day 16 of my Whole30 and up until about day 14, I felt good, energy was up and my skin was just as clear and even and wrinkle-free as ever.  By the evening of day 14, my face was hideous -- blotchy, red bumps and itchy.  My eczema was one of the reasons I started this -- now, it is worse!  It is all around my bra (no detergent change, so spare me that suggestion; I use unscented, sensitive), back of my legs, lower back and FACE!!!!!  I can't cover my face!!!  I'm in sales.  Now, I'm in a deep dark depression and convinced that this is hopeless.  Even if I do get healthy and skinny, I'll be hideous with all this skin stuff.  I've read about sugar detox causing the rash, ketosis causing the rash (I've done every low carb diet and this never happened) and food allergies.  I'm not eating anything different from before -- more veggies, actually having fruit, not too many nuts at all -- only thing that has increased is eggs, but I already did as low carb as possible, so eggs have been on my menu.  I have changed nothing in my soaps, make up, lotions, etc.  This has to be a reaction to Whole30.  I need feedback from others who have experienced this, so that I can decide if continuing is an option. 

There was a thread on here recently where an actress/model quit due to similar symptoms as you describe. She didn't want to risk the adjustment period being much longer than she already experienced.

Not having this happen to me firsthand, I can't help but wonder if "the worst is over"? People in sales are human too, breakouts happen to the best of us ... wouldn't short-term social and/or professional awkwardness be worth a lifetime of improved health and self-knowledge?

I spackled on make up yesterday and today to go to work.  Fixed my hair to cover it and tried to make calls in accounts that basically require me dropping off goodies, so I didn't have to be too close to any of the doctors (medical sales=beauty pageant all day long).  I'd love to see that thread.  If you remember the name, let me know.  I took a xysol (sp?) and have been slathering on cortisone at night.  Thinking about a bottle of wine to retox and balance it out, lol.

You said yourself that you are not eating anything different then you were before.  So how do you explain that it is a reaction to the Whole30? I'm not trying to be smart, I am trying to understand your situation to offer some help.  

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I'm eating many of the same foods I ate prior to Whole30, but also not eating tons of things -- bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, fast food, fried food, processed food, chips and dip, boudin, gumbo, nutella, cheese, wine, vodka, wine, cheese -- you get it.  What changed was that I kept the healthy, Whole30 compliant foods and eliminated the others.  Does it make sense now? 

I just feel like it is a reaction to something I'm doing now -- I felt great and was super pumped about the program...until the rash. It started with flushed, hot cheeks like rosacea, then red bumps everywhere.  I've seen others post about sugar detox rashes and ketosis rashes and breakouts while on the Whole30 -- I just wanted to know what happened, how long, etc.

Can you work through what 'you are doing now' that might be different from 'before'?  When you mentioned the ketosis rash, I thought the answer might be to add in starchy veggies.  I know you said you did low carb previously without the development of a rash.  But humor me: Are you eating any starchy vegetables on a daily basis? If not, consider adding in at least a serving per day.

Maybe post a few days worth of meals, so we can see if anything sticks out as a possible culprit.

Before = super good and low carb/healthy for a few days (week days usually), then fall off the wagon on the weekends and free-for-all...a few months of that combined with job stress and holidays let to off the wagon mostly with a half-hearted attempt at being good on Mondays.  I did Medi Weightloss from May to July of last year -- very low carb, 500 cals of protein a day.  Tried to keep it up and the whole "off the wagon" thing resulted.  I chose this as a way to reset my emotional eating and portions and incorporate more veggies and fruit.  Most low carbs limit both, but especially fruit.  I just felt dirty, like I was all full of trans fat or something.  The first 14 days were awesome...the last two were awful, the rash being the worst part. 

Here are a few days of my meals:

Monday

Breakfast = black coffee, one cup

Lunch = 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce, 8 cherry tomatoes, 10 jumbo shrimp sautéed in olive oil, lemon juice

Dinner = 2 eggs, cucumber/avocado/tomato salad with a splash of olive oil

*this was yesterday, food just didn't interest me.  Everything seemed too chewy.  I think it was food boredom.

Sunday (Day 14-- rash started)

Breakfast = 2 eggs, 4 oz chicken sausage, 1/3 of baked sweet potato, 1 cup black coffee

Lunch = 4 oz chicken sausage, 1/3 baked sweet potato

Dinner = 6oz catfish filet, spaghetti squash tossed with cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil

Snack = small plum, roasted swiss chard chips

Saturday

Breakfast = 2 eggs, cup of black coffee

lunch = small plum, 1/4 cup of cashews

Dinner = 2 eggs, 1/3 sweet potato, 4 oz chicken sausage

Friday

Breakfast = cup of black coffee

Lunch = Kit's organic berry almond bar (on the road in rural Louisiana all day; best choice I could make)

Dinner=organic chicken sausage (whole foods), 1/2 cup roasted turnips, 1 cup roasted brussel sprouts, 1 cup steamed broccoli

There was a thread on here recently where an actress/model quit due to similar symptoms as you describe. She didn't want to risk the adjustment period being much longer than she already experienced.

Not having this happen to me firsthand, I can't help but wonder if "the worst is over"? People in sales are human too, breakouts happen to the best of us ... wouldn't short-term social and/or professional awkwardness be worth a lifetime of improved health and self-knowledge?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24845-why-i-quit-the-whole30-program/

I think this is the thread you're referring to...

Looking at your food log, I see one day that was ok (Sunday). Every other day you deprived yourself of nutrition at one or more meals. I have no evidence that undereating causes rashes, but I suspect nourishing your body thoroughly and consistently will help with many things.

Here is the meal template: following it at every meal makes a huge difference. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Other than that, I would also encourage patience. I know when I had terrible acne I could not let it be for more than a day without trying something new (a new salve or a new treatment, etc.), and I'm pretty sure I made it much worse than it would have been if I left it alone...in the end my acne was caused by food intolerances, and it went away after I had eliminated those foods for a long enough time period and healed my gut--not right away, but after time and consistency with my food intake it got much much better.

Thanks for your suggestion of eating more -- this is a bad habit I have when doing any kind of diet/meal plan.  In fact, it was the reason for my stalled weight loss on Medi.  I'm going to look over the template and go get some more of the Whole Foods sausage that is gluten-free, sugar-free, super clean -- I just can't do chicken anymore.  My daddy's friend brought me some fish and I have plenty of veggies.  Appreciate your time and thought!

BTW, rash is a tiny bit better this am...hoping it is on its way out.  It is a confidence zapper!!!

Yea, it seems like your not eating enough. My family got so tired of chicken as well so we do things to make it more tolerable. Like last night I diced up a bunch of chicken, fried it in Ghee with some salt and garlic powder. Once done put some spicy guacamole, bacon bits and tomato all over it. It was great. So finding ways to make things taste awesome is something everyone should do.

I'm on day 19 and my allergies are worse than ever. But, I'm working through it. But my weight has dropped by 15 lbs. I have psoriasis and it is almost non existent now. So I hope you can troubleshoot whats going on. I really think the Whole30 is worth it.

Have you thought about doing the AIP version of this way of eating? When I first started eating Paleo style my eczema got worse but I was eating a lot more eggs and nuts which are common triggers of our skin condition. Now I have started Whole30 AIP to try to get it under control, I'm only on day 3 so I don't know the results yet. I really feel for you, I have a big patch of scaly red skin on my forehead and I'm trying to not let it dent my confidence. 

This is a generic observation based on many posts I've read from those who are suffering with skin conditions.   It's not addressed to anyone in particular.

Rosacea, skin rashes, bright red or blotchy skin and sensitivity to sun.   I see a predominance of tomatoes and nuts,  dried fruits and more nuts that are the main attraction of most of their eating plans.  I see very little proteins and cooked vegetables are almost non-existent on their eating plans.    It rings a bell of  FODMAPs...over and over.      A steady diet of fruits and nuts, (tomatoes are a fruit) can wreck total havoc with the skin.   It usually takes longer than 14 days for these symptoms to show up.   It's normally been in place for years but there is the tipping point with FODMAPs or allergic reactions to a continued diet of fruits, dried fruits and nuts.    

Once the bell has been rung,   I would eliminate all of those items and immediately try proteins, vegetables and good fats.    I'll even take it one step further.   Eggs are not enough for a protein.   You have to go for the gusto for healing.   Meat, fish and fowl.    Bone Broth for minerals.

I am going through this right now. I finished my first full whole 30 on 1/30 and my eczema flared halfway through. It's still really bad right now all over my forearms, legs, and face. At first I thought it was the increase in eggs and coconut milk in my diet. I cut those out and my skin just continued to get worse. The itching is unbearable. I did change my soap, so I'm going back to my old stuff to see if that's what is wrong. If it doesn't start clearing up, then I'm going to try an AIP whole 30.

I'm really glad I posted and so grateful for the feedback. I never thought about more fat since the pie chart on Myfitnesspal is always showing fat to be equal to or more than the protein. I've been freaking out because my carbs are in the 30s as for as percentages and it seems I have just freaked and cut out too much. Today, I'm going to relax and eat what I feel like (not binge or anything, just relax) and look into the AIP Whole30. Great suggestions. Thanks!

I'm really glad I posted and so grateful for the feedback. I never thought about more fat since the pie chart on Myfitnesspal is always showing fat to be equal to or more than the protein. I've been freaking out because my carbs are in the 30s as for as percentages and it seems I have just freaked and cut out too much. Today, I'm going to relax and eat what I feel like (not binge or anything, just relax) and look into the AIP Whole30. Great suggestions. Thanks!

Oh honey. You gottagottaGOTTA ditch MyFitnessPal immediately. It is absolutely not your pal. Really. We want you to eat, really really eat, on Whole30. Every single meal we want you to eat a palm-size portion or two of protein; a thumb-size portion or more of fat; and 2-4 cups of veggies. Do that and ditch MyFitnessPal.  And yeah, eat your fat.

Regarding your original post, I'm glad you are getting some relief from your rash, that sounds VERY difficult.

This is really a process. I've been approaching it like a diet -- myfitnesspal, stressing about carb percentages and thinking my meals I listed were soooooo good because there was so little to them. MIND BLOWN. Kinda feel silly now.

This is really a process. I've been approaching it like a diet -- myfitnesspal, stressing about carb percentages and thinking my meals I listed were soooooo good because there was so little to them. MIND BLOWN. Kinda feel silly now.

Don't feel silly.  Have you read the book?  If not, I highly recommend it.  

I know the name "Whole 30" has spread over social media.....  And sadly I see many coming here thinking of this as a "diet".  It's not.  It is so much more.  In a category all by itself, as far as I'm concerned.

I am SO thankful to have found the book first -- and read it twice -- and then found the forums and decided to do a Whole 30.  

I didn't read the book. I found myself going back to the website, poking around the forum and researching recipes on Pinterest. I think I understood what I couldn't eat, but just had an aha moment about why. I guess it is the silver lining to the rash...

• Moderators

Many people do this -- come to Whole30 as a diet. Some of them never realize it's anything more than that.

And we really like big meals here. I find it amusing now when people say, if you want to lose weight, use smaller plates. I'm just like, but then where would the veggies go?

Don't feel silly.  Have you read the book?  If not, I highly recommend it.  

I know the name "Whole 30" has spread over social media.....  And sadly I see many coming here thinking of this as a "diet".  It's not.  It is so much more.  In a category all by itself, as far as I'm concerned.

I am SO thankful to have found the book first -- and read it twice -- and then found the forums and decided to do a Whole 30.  

I remember the good ole days when everyone read the book first and no dared to step on the scale.  :rolleyes: 

• 4 weeks later...

I feel your pain (literally!) Day 4 of my 3rd Whole30, and for the first time my entire body is covered in what I researched to be a detox rash. No way to prove that this is what's happening, but it is thought that when you drastically eliminate sugar (grains, sugars, etc) you starve and kill the harmful bacteria (Candida) in your gut. As they die, they release their endotoxins, and your body can only eliminate so much endotoxin at once. So it creates an inflammatory response, which can result in a rash. It can take a few days, weeks or months to subside. I know this sounds horrible, but imagine what all the crap was doing on the inside of your body! The rash is a visual representation of what's getting eliminated from your system. Even though my rash is so uncomfortable, particularly in my hands, and it makes taking care of my baby and toddler very difficult, there is NO WAY I would stop the Whole30 because of it. If anything, it has strengthened my resolve to stick with it and never re-introduce that junk masquerading as food into my day-to-day diet. I really hope your rash subsides soon and that you can stick with this program. It's a life-changer!

And as for why this time and not other times? (I've been asking myself this a lot!) You probably had some detox symptom before (headache, gas, bloating, fatigue) and this is just another one of those symptoms. Not fun, but again it's evidence that our bodies are responding to this new lifestyle. I hope this gives you some comfort!

Archived