My Fitness Pal

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this...

On My Fitness Pal, it gives percentage targets for carbs, fat and protein. Does anyone know, when following Whole30 what these targets should be?

Current targets are 50% Carbs, 20% Protein and 30% Fats. Yesterday I had 47% Protein, 24% carbs, 29% fat.

Look forward to replies...

Sarah

step away from the Myfitness Pal. Seriously. This is not your friend.

The thing about whole30 eating is that it helps you to tune into your bodies signals for food intake. Your personal need for protein, and carbs, and fat will CHANGE over time and your body will let you know if you pay attention. No calculator can get even close to that level of specificity. All they do is make people doubt what they are feeling and second guess what they are eating.

don't do it.

Hi, missmary, thanks for the reply.

I'm not using myfitnesspal to track calories etc, just using it to hold myself more accountable as to what I eat. I'm not currently doing a Whole30, but am eating mostly like it with a few little exceptions.

I just wanted to know approx how much should be each target, so I can adjust my targets, so it doesn't flare red everytime I have some coconut oil!

I would have guessed what I ate yesterday was a good indication as I had 3 whole30 meals which all had veg, protein and fat. But I'm curious on other people's views.

Sarah

Yes, I can see your point of views.

What's confusing me is that the meal plan which you linked (which I follow) give recommended portion sizes for proteins and fats, rest of plate veggies, no? With a guide of what to eat for each meal x 3/day.

So based on the meal plan, this must equate to some protein/fat/carb percentage? Surely following the Whole30 meal plan would produce pretty consistent results across people sticking to the plan?

Yes, I can see your point of views.

What's confusing me is that the meal plan which you linked (which I follow) give recommended portion sizes for proteins and fats, rest of plate veggies, no? With a guide of what to eat for each meal x 3/day.

So based on the meal plan, this must equate to some protein/fat/carb percentage? Surely following the Whole30 meal plan would produce pretty consistent results across people sticking to the plan?

It's designed toward both adequate nutrition and satiation, and it's driven by your own palm size and thumb size, so the actual amounts of food on the plate for each person will differ.  Further, people's Whole30 experiences vary across the board, depending on a variety of factors. 

The template is intended as a starting point for you to play with portion sizes.  Tweak the amounts of protein, veg and/or fat until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Drop. The.  Macro. Tracker.  :)

Drop. The.  Macro. Tracker.  :)

I'm afraid it's staying for now   :P as I'm not doing a Whole30, it's helping me stick to eating mainly - I don't want to have to put in a sandwich!

I won't be sticking to any targets or calorie allowances though.

Thanks for your reply.

Sez

• 1 month later...

For those that want to use myfitnesspal as a food log but avoid the calorie counting aspect, there is a CSS tweak that may help:

Awesome to see such positive response to this!

I've taken the liberty of finding the CSS that controls the calorie column and the big calorie thing on the user home page and set them so they hide. The result is that you can have your other columns, and still log for purposes of carbs, and not see calories, and you don't get the giant calorie thing staring you in the face every day.

If you use Chrome or Firefox, you'll want to install the Stylish extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en (should work for Opera, too, though it might still have user stylesheets)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/stylish/

If you use Internet Explorer, you can go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Accessibility to specify a user style sheet.

Then, edit the stylesheet for URLs starting with http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and add the following CSS:

body#food-diary table.table0 tr.total td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tfoot tr td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tbody tr td.first + td, body#food-diary table.table0 tbody tr.meal_header td.first + td, #account-home #main #status-column #daily-summary { display: none; }

And presto! You have:

mj6i7241bhbe.png

Enjoy!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31903512/#Comment_31903512

and also:

Awesome, @Dragonwolf - For myself I also took an axe to the Goal and Remaining rows at the bottom, which always bugged me.

body#food-diary.body-header div#wrap div#content div#main div.food_container table.table0 tbody tr.total.remaining, body#food-diary.body-header div#wrap div#content div#main div.food_container table.table0 tbody tr.total.alt {display: none;}

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31904539/#Comment_31904539

there's a newish app called My Paleo Pal, which is 100% picture based (with the ability for others to "Deny" - with encouraging tips - or "Approve" your meal) so there's no tricky macro/calorie counting, just honest accountability from others who also eat whole30/paleo/primal.

like instagram for good food. :)

• Administrators

What *I* would do is plug in a week or two worth of typical eating (ignoring the big red warning icon as best I can, LOL), look at where my macros actually land, and adjust my settings accordingly.

Macro tweaking is unnecessary at best and pretty problematic at worst. It causes you to rely on a number derived from a formula based on a person who is not you.  It causes you to ignore your body's signals and and to trust your smartphone over what your body is telling you.

If you follow our template and check in with yourself for satiety, energy, sleep, mood, mental clarity etc, you do not need to know what percentage of your intake is carb, fat or protein.  You really don't.  You're not a lab experiment or a mahine, you're a dynamic and fluctuating human being and your needs are going to be dynamic and fluctuating as well.  The week before and of your period, for example, you are probably going to need a lot more starchy veggie.  If you use a tracker, will you acknowledge your body's need for that influx of carb? Or will you stick to your percentages and let your body suffer?

I heard on the radio that too much reliance on smart phone mapping/directions causes the old folkaronies not to engage their brains.  It's not good for dementia prevention.    :ph34r: All of us must engage our brains and bodies...in every age bracket. :unsure: 

• 2 years later...

Hi, I just asked the Whole 30 team... Use the myfitness app for recipes, and for TRACKING WHAT you ATE. It's also great for post 30 or 60 because it helps with reintroduction to see how different foods are tolerated. 

Remember that with every app, not every feature us ever used... 

And the reason most of us all love this program is because there is NO counting, only label reading... But if you're interested in the information about your own intake by other measures, go ahead, but it's not necessary to reach a certain set of "levels". 

Archived