Rustymom's log

rustymom

I've been eating Whole 30-style starting 8/4. Overall it has gone well. I did have some carb-flu and general achiness/fatigue for a while (a week or 2), but that has all disappeared.

I had a few unplanned/unexpected off-road meals. So technically, I'm not near the end of my 30 days. That's not so important to me at this point as I plan to eat Paleo for some time with only occassional off plan meals or treats. I went to a lobster fest and did dip my lobster into butter and tried the clam chowder, but skipped the corn on the cob. I has a "bad" meal at MILs, but decided to just deal with the meal as best I could rather than discuss "diet" with my size 2 (maybe 4) MIL.

I'm enjoying cooking new recipes. I love the chocolate chili from Well Fed. The homemade Mayo is so easy to make and yummy. I made some buffalo chicken from some post I saw here. I need to setup a rotation for my weekly cooking.

I have two challenging events coming up. One is about 24 hours of eating with my Mother at her house. We usually get take-out fish and chips and a lobster roll and split them. I think I'll just get my own lobster roll and only eat the meat and order double slaw instead of fries. That should be fine. Then I'll have to think about breakfast and lunch...

The other is a Sprint Triathlon that I am doing on 9/9. Maybe I'll eat a banana and some chicken or turkey before the race. Then dried fruit and a handful of almonds on the bike should be OK to get me through. I've done a 20 mile bike ride with just some lemon juice in my water and some dried apple slices.

Breakfast today was 2 hard boiled eggs, guacamole and 4 strips of bacon. I really stunk up my little office making bacon in the microwave, LOL! It was tasty.

Now onto lunch...I think I'll have some left over sweet potato hash with homemade breakfast sausage and some coleslaw. What I really want is my chili, but hopefully I can have it for dinner, if DH doesn't finish it off.

I've almost been at this a month and I feel like I've done well at it. I feel good without grains, legumes, sugar, even dairy. As I noted earlier, I've had one partially non-Whole30 meal and one completely non-whole 30 meal. No other slipups. Its been a good month. I'm not really craving my usual junk or even sweets. To me this is a success. I am working on losing weight and have 50ish pounds to go.

I found some smoked turkey breast deli (pre-packaged) meat at Stop and Shop that I thought was compliant. I had some today as part of my lunch. Natures Promise is the brand. I just noticed the less than 2% "native potato starch".

Honestly I think post whole 30 this is something I will allow. Also, the cane sugar or small amount of other sweetener in bacon curing will not be avoided post whole 30. I do not feel that this sort of thing is slipping too far off road. It feels like eating in the real world to me. I am certainly more aware of added ingredients now than I was prior. I really didn't care before. I was working off of "a calorie is a calorie" in theory even though I know that to not be true.

I plan to continue to eat in a Paleo manner. If things get out of hand I will always know how to get back on track. I can always commit to do another Whole 30. It's nice to have that feeling of control.

Archived