post 30 results

jreegs42

Today was day 31 and I got up and weighed myself.  To preface,  I am 6'1 female that weighed in on day 1 one at 193.  I workout 5 days a week with kettlebells and conditioning circuits as well as one day a week with yoga.  I have been an athlete my entire life and being active has always been a part of my life.  I have been paleo-ish the last couple of years and I was excited to try the whole30.  Non weight wins for me: more energy, sleeping better, and feeling great in my workouts.  I got on the scale this morning to see I have only lost 4lbs.  I was very surprised.  I know the program is not just about weight, I completely understand that.   But I still have to say I am shocked and a little sad.  I worked extremely hard, didn't over eat, and never once cheated.  I understand the science behind the program and really truly believe in it.  I am extremely self aware.  I know that 189 is not my ideal weight.  I carry it all in my middle section and 175-180 is more of an appropriate weight for me.  Does anyone have any insights for me?  I am not by any means going to fall of the wagon, I am just looking for a little encouragement and perhaps somebody has a similar story.  

• Moderators

First, congratulations! You've achieved something really wonderful for your body!

Some things to consider: the vast majority of us do not drop double digits within one month of Whole30. It's neither healthy nor sustainable, especially for those of us at or within close range of a healthy weight. Others of us lose small to moderate amounts of weight little by little until we get to the weight at which our body is happiest. And that's the kind of weight loss that lasts.

I suggest you adjust your expectations and focus on all the positives that have come from this experience. Weight loss at an average of a pound a week is quite impressive and sustainable. You'll get to where you want to be (if your body also wants it) in no time. Keep up the great work!

• Administrators

As LadyM says, the large numbers are not common unless you are a male in your twenties or you have a significant amount of weight to lose.  They are certainly the stories that get a lot of people over here and wanting to try this but they are not the norm for regular people.

My personal context as far as it relates to weight loss on a small scale (like yours): I am currently losing weight at the rate of a comatose snail.............I believe I have 20# to lose (anyone else would say maybe 5-10 but we're always harder on ourselves).  At the end of each week there's a teeny tiny change.  At the end of each month there's a cumulative "little" change.  But.........I eat.  A lot.  I could probably drop weight if I cut back my sweet potatoes and went a little 'hungry' from time to time.  But I really just don't want to. I'm healthy, my skin is getting better, my hair is fantastic, my nails are awesome, my mood is stable and if my body decides to let go of a few ounces every week, that will all add up eventually......all the while I'm not depriving myself of enjoyment or nutrients.  Win!

What I'm saying............is that a pound a week while eating nutrient dense, enjoyable foods while not depriving yourself or making yourself crazy is a wonderful result!

Archived