Amenorrhea! Can the whole30 help?

Anna2264

My best friend is a triathlete that has an increible passion for what she does. A few days ago when i told her i had finishes my first whole30 she said her coach had suggested she started eating paleo since she was having some health and performanc issues , she told me she hadnt had her period for a year now and that she was suffering from anemia and that she also had an injury in her heel that didnt seem to heal and that it was affecting her health and her perfomance, she doesnt eat red meat and i think is undereating for the amount of excercice she does! Cant a whole30 help her? Can she still take her protein shakes since she doesnt eat much meat rather than the occasional fish or chicken and eggs? She doesnt include any fat on her meals which i think is a huge part of the problem since leptin and estrogen are essential for the good funcionning of you period and they are produced in fat cells i am really concerned about her but i have no idea how to help her out! Any advice? Thanks!!

• Moderators

If she's open to it, you could lend her your copy of It Starts With Food or pass along other info as you find it. However, it's very tough to convince others. They have to come to it of their own free will. It's one of the most difficult things to bear when you really want to help a loved one. Tread carefully.

She is definetly excited and willing to try a paleo approach and a whole30 but since she doesnt eat too much meat is really concerned about not taking her protein anymore she is very open to pretty much anything at this point because she knows its for the best, she s actually the one that said to me she wanted to try something different from what she was doing which is clearly not the best option for her

• Administrators

She is definetly excited and willing to try a paleo approach and a whole30 but since she doesnt eat too much meat is really concerned about not taking her protein anymore she is very open to pretty much anything at this point because she knows its for the best, she s actually the one that said to me she wanted to try something different from what she was doing which is clearly not the best option for her

There are a lot of sources of protein that are not red meat based.  

Eggs

chicken breasts/thighs/ground

turkey breast/thighs/ground

fish salmon/cod/haddock/halibut etc

shellfish prawns/scallops/shrimp/crab/lobster

canned fishes tuna/salmon/oysters/sardines/mussels

pork shoulder/loin/tenderloin/chops/ground

If she is going to do a Whole30, the protein powder would almost certainly be off the table due to non compliant ingredients.

Here's a post on how to retain or even GAIN weight while on Whole30.  Totally doable!  http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Archived