Dazed and confused

Kco

Hello everyone,

I'm currently on day 25 of my whole30 which I'm very proud to say! I feel like for once I've accomplished something and it's very gratifying in that respect. My reasons for going on this journey were to clear up my acne, heal my gut and yes of course lose some inches. I've been seeing a naturopath and have for the most part cleared up my severe acne prior to starting but I just needed something more and I knew it was my diet. While I didn't eat a typical SAD, mainly paleo, i treated myself a little too much too often. So that's why I chose to reset my system because I'm completely fed up with this acne.

I threw myself into this vicious hormone raging cycle due to the amount of stress my husband and I are currently carrying on our shoulders. Two years ago, my mother in law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and we were at the ripe ages of 25 and 30 with only 5 years of marriage under our belts. With my husband being an only child we've had a huge undertaking amongst a lot of other things I was personally going through. Then one day, wham, I started breaking out like there's no tomorrow.

SO anyway, while I've had some positive changes, like my face starting to clear up which is huge! I didn't lose a single inch. I know I haven't completed the whole30 quite yet but I highly doubt I'm going to miraculously lose a few inches by that time. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I didn't do something wrong here. I wasn't expecting to lose all the weight I want to lose but not even an inch! I'm thinking maybe I was eating too much compared with my activity level which is pretty sedentary (which I slowly working on). Here's a typical day of meals:

M1- 2 eggs, sautéed onions, peppers and spinach, either an avocado or olives

M2- 2 grass fed hotdogs, with sauerkraut, beets and a dollop of homemade mayo

M3- two palm sized portion of protein, 1/2 sweet potato with clarified butter and veggies with clarified butter

And every so often as an afternoon snack an RX bar, maybe 2/3 x a week. My water intake could be better and I drink 1 cup bulletproof coffee 4x week. If anyone has any serious and helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it because I don't know where I went wrong. Maybe I need to extend my journey?

I'm 5'4 and weigh 155 lbs

Thanks again! Kacie

• Administrators

I don't think you ate too much at all.  If anything your meal one should probably be a bit bigger and on any of the days that you felt you needed a snack, your meals ikely weren't large enough.  The RX bars are for emergencies only...which I hope you aren't having 2-3 times per week.  Throw a couple hard boiled eggs in the fridge at work/home and have that instead and you'll be miles ahead.

I think with the amount of stress you are talking about (and big stress, too) that your body may still be in a bit of survival mode, not willing to let go of anything extra at this time.  Keep going, keep eating nourishing, whole and healthy foods and the weight loss will come.  Getting three meals a day under your belt with no snacking is going to rebalance your hormones and only when they are balanced and healthy does weight loss occur.  Stress is a huge inhibitor of weight loss, especially if it happens to be accompanied by poor sleep.

Thank you ladyshanny I will definitely do that....and I figured I was going in the wrong direction with those RX bars. My naturopath did discuss with me how my adrenals are constantly in a fight or flight mode. I'm currently trying to figure out a good stress release but I'm afraid of pushing myself too hard with exercise at this point in time because that can be counterintuitive. But I really appreciate your very helpful advice!!

• Administrators

Thank you ladyshanny I will definitely do that....and I figured I was going in the wrong direction with those RX bars. My naturopath did discuss with me how my adrenals are constantly in a fight or flight mode. I'm currently trying to figure out a good stress release but I'm afraid of pushing myself too hard with exercise at this point in time because that can be counterintuitive. But I really appreciate your very helpful advice!!

Yes, punishing your body (so to speak) with rigorous exercise is probably not just the thing for you.  I'm thinking more gentle activities, walks, music, stretching etc.  Mel Joulwan at The Clothes Make The Girl dealt with pretty severe adrenal fatigue and talks about it on her blog, a little google will get you there.  It didn't necessarily apply to me so I didn't pay a tonne of attention but I remember that she had some pretty comprehensive post about how she was healing her body. 

• Moderators

The secret to weight loss is getting your hormones to cooperate. When you are under a lot of stress, it is harder to get your hormones into a good rhythm. For some people it takes 6-8 weeks before things settle to where they need to be and then, all of a sudden, without you changing anything in your diet, the weight starts to decline. Hang in there.

Archived