Started 2/2/15

Nelle

Couldn't start on Superbowl Sunday, now could I?  So Monday it was.  So far I'm doing well, but wondering..... are there any other night nurses here or others who work night shift?  Tomorrow night is my first night shift since 2/2 and I'm looking for ideas.  Thanks.  

Hi Nelle - another night shift nurse here.   I worked exclusively night shift for 18 years and have just recently become a rotator.  Sometimes I think that is harder...  one day, one night, double back into a day shift....  ugh.

The hardest part of the w30 for me was trying to decided what a "day" was for me.  Sometimes, it was 24 hours long - other times, a day was more like 8 hours.  Hard to figure out how to space out meals.  In the end, I usually had 4 meals on my long days and only 2 on my short days.  Crazy.

This time, I seem to be considering my day as midnight to midnight, no matter what shift I am working.   You are welcome to check out my logs to see how things shaped up.

It is hard to resist all the goodies that coworkers and patients bring in.  So much candy, pastries, etc.  I found that the easiest thing for me is to just stay out of the breakroom.  Unfortunately, I usually end up eating most of my meals at my desk in my unit (I am the only nurse on during my shift for my 6 bed unit - hard to get someone to come from another unit to let me go to the bathroom, let alone a 30 min meal break).  So, I run in the break room, heat up my meal and run out - trying not to breath in donut fumes :)

Good luck to you on your journey :)

hi kmlynn,

yes, I'm a rotator too.  I usually like night shifts but have to admit I like sleeping at home at night too.  Where I work now you only need to do 3 wknd and 3 night shifts a month.  While I like nights better than the crazy day shifts, normal sleeping and eating is good too.

So far I've been ok resisting all the food everyone brings in.  It's worse at night.  Bags of chips and dip everywhere.  I've been bringing my own food and it works for me.  Like you said....the problem is what is a day.  When do I eat again.  I can't go a whole 12 hour shift only eating once.  So I think it will be 4 small meals when I work nights.  

I'm heading in soon but will check out your logs when I'm off later this week.  Thanks!

Archived