Realized after 30 days I wasn't eating enough

So I had committed to doing at least a Whole45, and now it looks like its going to be even longer GC I struggled to feel full, have energy and genrally just feel better fornthenfirst 3+ weeks.. After finally sitting down and evaluating my food journal I came to the hard realization that I just hadn't been eating enough. Perhaps my caloric intake would have been more than enough but my volume was lacking... I love to cook and made lots of fun, tasty meals. Unfortunately like fine dining restaurants, they were small...

Anywhoo after the initial sadnesswore off (30 days down the drain!) then frustration crept for needing to start all over, I began to wonder if I was the only one?

Anyone else struggle withy the meal template? Its a really large amount of food if you are used to eating more regularly through the day. Also the prep and grocery shopping for 2 people in one household doing this plan takes some adjusting... It's sort of shocking to go through 4-5 dozen eggs in a week!

I am a fairly intelligent woman and I grossly underestimated the reality of the meal template..

• Administrators

Oh, I love reading this.  Not that you feel that 30 days went down the drain, that didn't happen, by the way! ;) But that you have self assessed and looked at our resources and made an honest self assessment.  Plus, it's basically what we tell people all day long, EAT MORE, and you found out for yourself, I love it!

The 30 days that you spent might not have been feeding yourself enough volume, but you just spent 30 days healing your gut, getting your hormones closer to a proper balance, reading labels and making well thought out decisions about how to treat yourself.  That is not down the drain!

:wub:

I had this exact same realization a couple months ago!  I started my second Whole 30 a few months after getting married and moving in with my husband.  Between trying to eat more during that Whole 30 + feeding another person, I was totally shocked at the sheer volume of food I put in my cart each week.  To be honest I still get a little surprised grocery shopping sometimes ... It's like I have to remind myself - it's ok, you will eat all that, it won't go bad in the fridge!

Thanks guys! Glad to know Im not alone! I actually found myself serving smaller portions at one point GC the food I bought a few days ago was going so fast and I mentally had decided to go grocery shopping once a week... Then I was like "this is dumb! I'm nt on a diet! If I'm still hungry, eat!"

I guess I would get discouraged tat I knew friends were losing weight and I wasn't.. I felt better but thought the only way to stay compliant and lose weight was to eat less. Glad I wised up!

And yes, I knw it wasn't a waste of 30 days, just being dramatic.

BUT do you find it's hard to summarize your experience when people know you've done your "thirty days" and ask how it was? I always feel like they are looking at me and thinking "wait, I thought you were supposed to lose weight??"

This is where in fall down in between whole 30s. I just don't eat enough. This is my third round and while we eat compliant meals in between I'm realising I need to be thinking about that template all the time or there's too much space for the sugar cravings to sneak back in. I do find the level of cooking and shopping hard to maintain.

I do find the level of cooking and shopping hard to maintain.

So find a way not to cook every single meal. Leverage leftovers.

I rarely cook meal 2, for example.  For me, it's usually leftovers or chicken or salmon salad made with compliant mayo, celery and with a microwaved sweet potato on the side.  If I'm bored I'll have sardines and sauerkraut.

Meal 1, I rotate through a handful of different quiche, casserole and equivalent recipes. Cook once: have at least 4 meals out of it.

Meal 3, cook a meal that lasts you several meals. Meatballs, stew, chili, crock pot dinners, roasting a chicken are just a few examples that fall into this category.

I always have staples in the house: eggs, homemade mayo, homemade clarified butter, coconut oil, light olive oil (for making mayo), canned salmon, canned chicken, sardines, sauerkraut, sweet potatoes, spinach, salad fixings, carrots and at least one other vegetable. I rotate through different proteins depending on my meal planning, which I typically do 2-3 days out.

Yes I do all of these things. My fridge is always crammed with tubs of cooked veggies and protein. I often have tinned fish for lunch, so forget to cook lunch protein. So my husband gets grumpy about the lightness of his lunch ( and refuses the tinned fish) and then he eats muffins. This is between whole 30s not during. I feel like I'm getting into my groove a bit though.

• Administrators

I am with Chris, I never cook Meal 2, always leftovers. I also refuse to cook on Thursday and Friday nights because I found that much cooking and creating and dreaming up of menus becoming a burden (hubby does not help with cooking or meal planning). So now Thursday and Friday dinners are called "Chef's Night Off" where we are each responsible for ourselves. I will usually make myself an omelette or Thai Coconut Soup or some such simple thing. On the weekend I always cook an extra protein that is to be used for Chef's Night Off. What I found is that at the beginning hubby pitched a fit and would either just refuse to make himself something to eat or would eat one chicken thigh and then sigh and moan about how he was starving. This was meant, I think in his subconscious way, to guilt me into sacrificing my own needs for his. And I needed the nights off. That silliness only lasted the first couple weeks.

As we've gone along it's now our habit and in order to keep to my needs, I avert my eyes as to what he chooses to eat. Sometimes he'll pull leftovers out but often he uses at least one of those nights to order pizza/chinese or make grilled cheese sandwiches or what have you. He won't die.....and I get my nights off....and we both take personal responsibility for ourselves.

I fully agree, making every single thing you eat, over time (for us it's been years) gets tiresome and you need a break. Maybe try scheduling in an automatic, planned for break?

Well, I have to say it is VERY difficult to cook this way for 5!!!  On a typical night for veggies alone I go through two bunches of broccoli and one large head of cauliflower, if not a little more.  Tonight, I used half a batch of bone broth, a little left over chuck roast, chopped loads of veggies (for a stew) and cooked steak on the side.  WHOLE pot GONE!  One meal and loads of preparation!  I cannot look at my children while feeding myself a skillet full of eggs and veggies with fruit and shredded coconut and say, here is your oatmeal honey!  ;-) So, for a family of five, the cooking for me has been quite the challenge.  All that to say, we usually have NO left overs. Only if I make batches of burgers at once or something.  I LOVE the recipes and they have really liked the food (some more than others), but I want to keep eating like this but my hubby is not terribly pleased with the food bill, he eats what I put in front of him, but away from me he eats awful!  I started this to help me and my SON who struggles with emotional regulation, sitting still and just plain ole' annoying people and boy can I say at day 28 he is doing FANTASTIC!!!  He is so much more even keeled.  I was SO hoping he would be!  He does get afternoon snacks, he is a growing boy NO matter how much fat or protein I give him.  He never stops, so when he is hungry I feed him no questions, within plan of course.  I truly felt the Lord leading us this way to try this plan before putting him on medication right away.  It really has helped him.  I love sharing our story with friends!!  Thank you Whole 30!!

• 3 weeks later...

One of the biggest things I stress to friends who are about to start is that you will be shocked at your food bills and the quantity you go through.. BUT it pales in comparison to what we used to spend on eating out, treats at movies/events, ALCOHOL, and medicines to combat things like migraines, GI upset, and the like. It's all a trade off, the money comes from another pot and you just make sacrifices for your health. I recently read an article explain that the US spends less on food that like 90% of developed countries in the world.. the average family spends just like 6% of annual income on food.. that does not take into consideration restaurants and the like which fall under entertainment. Crazy how inexpensive such high quality food is here in the US. Anytime someone complains about how expensive organic food is I tell them to travel to Europe and then try to complain. The difference is other countries respect their food  more, waste a ton less, and make meals a time for family and friends to socialize.. no eating in the car running from place to place, or mindlessly snacking in front of the TV. Ok, rant over, haha

The difference is other countries respect their food more, waste a ton less, and make meals a time for family and friends to socialize.. no eating in the car running from place to place, or mindlessly snacking in front of the TV. Ok, rant over, haha

Well, less farm subsidies too.

So I had committed to doing at least a Whole45, and now it looks like its going to be even longer GC I struggled to feel full, have energy and genrally just feel better fornthenfirst 3+ weeks.. After finally sitting down and evaluating my food journal I came to the hard realization that I just hadn't been eating enough. Perhaps my caloric intake would have been more than enough but my volume was lacking... I love to cook and made lots of fun, tasty meals. Unfortunately like fine dining restaurants, they were small...

Anywhoo after the initial sadnesswore off (30 days down the drain!) then frustration crept for needing to start all over, I began to wonder if I was the only one?

Anyone else struggle withy the meal template? Its a really large amount of food if you are used to eating more regularly through the day. Also the prep and grocery shopping for 2 people in one household doing this plan takes some adjusting... It's sort of shocking to go through 4-5 dozen eggs in a week!

I am a fairly intelligent woman and I grossly underestimated the reality of the meal template..

I'm on day 9 and I'm just now realizing the volume I need in veggies alone. I pre-cut 2 zucchini and a whole head of cauliflower last night and by tonight - POOF, GONE! Not to mention the pound of chicken thighs that only lasted 2 meals. I've been living by my good scale.

I made a batch of the chocolate chili and pre-cooked 2 lbs of ground pork to hopefully help with some of the daily cooking, but I am already sick of the chili.

For me it's all a trial and error. The pre-cooked pork seems to be working because I can make it into multiple meals with different flavors so I don't get bored. tonight was an Asian style dish, but it could easily be thrown in with compliant marinara over spaghetti squash.

I keep reminding myself this is a readjustment period. If I misstep and find something doesn't work for me the next day I can try again. Hopefully by day 30 I will have a pretty good idea what "works".

• Moderators

I love, love, love cooking. The kitchen is where I spend my spare time rather than watching TV. But even I have my limits.

FROZEN. I use frozen veggies a LOT. Nowadays you can find so many different combos. The ones that I like most because you can just microwave them:

• Broccoli & Cauliflower
  • Stir Fry with mushrooms, onions, peppers, broccoli, carrots
  • Mediterranean with green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower

I also stock up on frozen chopped spinach, collards, kale for cooking at home. Skip defrosting in the microwave (the texture suffers). Simply add directly to a hot pan. As it defrosts, add a little fat and finish cooking to your liking.

FRESH.

• Rutabagas, spaghetti squash, Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes. Roast the latter three at the beginning of the week. Eat throughout the week. Use a food processor to shred a combo of rutabaga and sweet potato to fry up for hash.
  • Baby Spinach, Carrots, Celery, Snap Peas, Jicama, Peppers. Little to no prep required. Use in salads or just to munch alongside your protein. Dip in guacamole, baba ghanouj or a homemade mayo concoction of your choosing.
  • Butter lettuce or similar can be added to salads or used to hold meat - think burgers or lettuce cups.

Archived