Nuts... I mean I know I can have them, but how many?

Meg Poore Tuttle

• Moderators

Here's a simple answer to controlling yourself: Don't eat nuts every day. The Whole30 is a time to experience a variety of foods and nuts are seductive. They are easy and taste good. I'd say you should limit yourself to one open handful of nuts every other day.

I had to banish mac nuts from my first whole30. Haven't touched them since. A bit like heroin to me. I found myself eating them and when I asked "am I hungry..really?" The answer was no. I think this next time, I will incorporate them as part of a meal, but as Tom said, every other day and a very small amount. When the inner brat cries for nuts (at inappropriate times), I will send her to the corner and NOT have them. :)

Nuts and dried fruit were my crutch last time. They are why I made it through. I also believe they are why I didn't get the results I wanted. I'm getting ready to start #2, and I am going with a "no-nuts" intention. They will be for emergencies, which should be few and far between this time around. I will not plan them as part of each day as I did last time.

I'm glad I read this. I'm on Day 8 and was worried I was overusing them. I'm going to back off, too. I'd hate to get all the way through this only to not get the best results over a few walnuts or cashews here or there.

Here is my take: if you use them as your added fat source as part of a larger meal as per the meal planning template guidelines, you won't overdo it. If you eat them AS a meal or snack in and of themselves, then you're in the trouble zone. Handful of mac nuts on top of a salad with meat and tons of veggies doesn't really put you at risk of overdoing it, eating nuts or nut butter as a snack until you are full is probably not a good idea.

Since I swapped out my handful of nuts for a mini-meal with protein and veg I'm amazed at how much more sated I feel throughout the day.

About halfway through I realized my almond and raisin intake had crept up... they were a crutch. I just stopped buying them. If that is an option for you, I'd say just let them run out without beating yourself up for previously relying on them and then drive on.

An effective gauge for me (like mentioned above) was whether I felt like I needed a mini-meal, and then if so whether I'd want to incorporate a TBSP of oil as the fat. If veg and protein with a little oil didn't sound appealing I could tell I wasn't actually hungry, just looking to graze.

FYI - You can buy ONE ounce of macadamia nuts every now and then at Whole Foods in their bulk section. That bulk department saves me. I can buy a tiny amount of macadamia nuts, dates, figs, pistachios, etc. and enjoy my portion without a fear of overdoing it. :)

FYI - You can buy ONE ounce of macadamia nuts every now and then at Whole Foods in their bulk section. That bulk department saves me. I can buy a tiny amount of macadamia nuts, dates, figs, pistachios, etc. and enjoy my portion without a fear of overdoing it. :)

Except that I can go to WF every day if I want because it's less than 1/2 mile from my house...I so wouldn't put it past me to do EXACTLY that. :) I get no pleasure from dried fruits so they are no problem. I think that goes back to when I was a child and I would say... "mom, can I have a cookie" (this said after bodysurfing, sailing or horseback riding after school) and she'd say "no, but you can have some raisons or dried apricots". Bleck...I wanted an Oreo. :) I just abolish them all. Tried the mac nuts as a healthy fat last night. Just doesn't work for me. Say no to nuts is my moto. Just my moto by the way. I'm sure they prove to be valuable to some.

As a rule, anything I tend to eat compulsively suggests to me that for some reason, I shouldn't be eating it at all. I can either beat myself up that it's because I lack self-control, or recognise it as a problem food. Have just been reading ISWF and it kind of follows on from what they say about 'no brakes food' that if you can over-eat nuts, then there's something about them that isn't as healthy or good for you as it could be.

It's one thing I'm loving about W30, because MOST of the things I used to tinker with eg. fake desserts aren't allowed, so I just don't go there.

(FYI - I'm having a few nuts here and there if I'm super hungry and waiting for dinner to cook or something, but not relying on them as a meal or snack)

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Great posts... I am def eating too many nuts :( I do love them.. I have those 100 calorie packs.. but yes they are just an easy go-to snack.. Usually have before my morning work-out... Not sure what else I should do though.. any suggestions?

How about 1 or even 1/2 deviled egg or a slice of roast beef wrapped in a butter lettuce leaf or a bite of sweet potato and a spoonful of tuna? I don't like to work out completely empty, but pretty close. I try to avoid things that my head says "oh, that's an easy snack". This is just me, but part of my Whole30 is getting rid of all nuts and any dried fruit. It's just a time of dicipline for me and to bring me back to ground zero.

wow, i am soooo overdoing nuts according to this! and i'm not the only one with an extreme nut addiction apparently. ok i'm going to attempt to do them every other day (oh god that sounds so hard). with my breakfast of scrambled egg and sweet potato cake (egg and sweet potato) i've been having 1/2 tbsp almond butter with 1/2 tbsp of coconut butter and dip my 4 strawberries in that, does that sound crazy or is that an "ok" thing to have you guys think? new to this and trying to figure it all out :)

wow, i am soooo overdoing nuts according to this! and i'm not the only one with an extreme nut addiction apparently. ok i'm going to attempt to do them every other day (oh god that sounds so hard). with my breakfast of scrambled egg and sweet potato cake (egg and sweet potato) i've been having 1/2 tbsp almond butter with 1/2 tbsp of coconut butter and dip my 4 strawberries in that, does that sound crazy or is that an "ok" thing to have you guys think? new to this and trying to figure it all out :)

I am definitely a newbie since I haven'tstarted yet. But I do need to know how you made your Scrambled egg and sweet potato cake. It sounds really good. Did you usde fresh sweet potato or canned.?

I am a newbie...started right in the middle of last Friday; so I am on day 5.5. That being said; I have had some real cravings for nuts since I started, and I am realilzing that this is probably why I have been on a plateau for the past four months! After reading everything in this post; I am going to try doing the handful every other day for the remainder of the 30...yes; that DOES seem so sad...considering I love nuts so much...but everything in moderation. I think I'll cut up some baby carrots, and jicama into nut-sized pieces.

On a positive note; today seems to be better with regards to nut cravings; and actually cravings in general seem to be going away!

I want results...so I am even considering a "no nuts" option. (As sad as that may be initially...the results will be worth it!)

• 2 years later...

Archived