ShannonM816's Feb 2015 Whole30 Log

ShannonM816

• Moderators

I've tried the riding my own bike thing since about October last year, but lately I've gotten a little bit off course -- and by "a little bit off course" what I mean is, I seem to have ridden it right off a cliff. It started out okay, just relaxing the rules when eating out, maybe indulging in an occasional dessert, getting right back on course pretty quickly. And then the holidays happened, and I indulged a little more. And then I just got lazy and didn't do food prep every week, resulting in eating out multiple times a week, and then work got stressful and I ate because that's how I'm used to dealing with stress, and now here I am -- my sugar dragon is back in full force, and I'm unhappy and bloated and just generally feel like crap, so it's definitely time for a reset.

Whole30%2BDay%2B1.jpg

Breakfast: Rogan josh over mashed cauliflower, with carrots, celery, and tomatoes dipped in mayo, followed by a cup of coffee blended with coconut oil and coconut milk.

Lunch: Eggs scrambled with brussel sprouts and belly dance beet salad, and a grapefruit kombucha.

Supper: Baked sweet potato with ghee, mixed with a crumbled up meat & spinach muffin, followed by an orange and some olives because I was still hungry. Probably should have had two of the muffin things, but I really didn't think I was that hungry until I started eating.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Best of luck, Shannon, on this Whole 30! I hope the sugar dragon slinks away asap.

Your food looks wonderful. So colorful! Belly Dance Beets is one of my faves. How do you like the Rogan Josh? I was tempted to make it over the weekend but went for the lemony lamb tagine instead (which is marvy, btw, if you haven't made it).

• Moderators

Thanks, guys!

Best of luck, Shannon, on this Whole 30! I hope the sugar dragon slinks away asap.

Your food looks wonderful. So colorful! Belly Dance Beets is one of my faves. How do you like the Rogan Josh? I was tempted to make it over the weekend but went for the lemony lamb tagine instead (which is marvy, btw, if you haven't made it).

I love Belly Dance Beets! If my mom had made beets like that when I was growing up, I would have actually eaten them. The Rogan Josh is okay, a little spicy for my taste. I usually cut the cayenne pepper out of her recipes completely, but decided to try just cutting it in half on this one. I should've just left it out. I'm such a wimp with spicy foods. But other than that, it's good. I'll have to try that tagine, it looks good.

• Moderators

Day 2 -- nothing terribly exciting, but the food was good.

PhotoGrid_1423633861070.jpg

Breakfast: Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup, Meat & Spinach Muffins, and Moroccan Orange Salad.

Lunch: Rogan Josh over mashed cauliflower, Belly Dance Beet Salad, carrots, celery, and tomatoes with mayo for dipping, and orange kombucha.

Supper: Pad Thai, followed by some baby carrots dipped in sunshine sauce. 

• Moderators

Day 3. Nearly fell asleep at work today. Trying to caption live tv when you're barely able to keep your eyes open is not fun.

PhotoGrid_1423712905286.jpg

Breakfast -- baked chicken and brussel sprouts scrambled with a couple of eggs, topped with sunshine sauce, and a few tomatoes.

Lunch -- Rogan Josh over a baked sweet potato, Belly Dance Beet Salad, El Minzah Orange Salad. 

Supper -- meat & spinach muffins, Belly Dance Beet Salad, snap peas with sunshine sauce, and a grapefruit kombucha.

Well I am surprised that you moderators fell off the cliff...I anticipated the stress I was going to go thru in December, and started a whole30 on December 24. That's how I chose to deal with stress, and it worked, it kept me focused on other things than the unbearable thought of losing my mother...

• Moderators

Well I am surprised that you moderators fell off the cliff...I anticipated the stress I was going to go thru in December, and started a whole30 on December 24. That's how I chose to deal with stress, and it worked, it kept me focused on other things than the unbearable thought of losing my mother...

I'm not sure why it's a surprise that we could fall off the cliff. We're human. Well, I am, anyway. I assume the others are too. :)

I'm sorry about your mother, and good for you for taking proactive steps to deal with your stress. Dealing with stress in a healthy way has always been an issue for me. Sometimes I manage, sometimes I don't. All I can do is try to get better at it over time.

I'm in the same boat, except I started Feb 1 (I love it when the dates match up  B) ).  So you work full time?  And are still able to make those awesome recipes.  I feel like I need to try harder in the kitchen, but it's so overwhelming to me.  Most of my meals are pretty simple and on point with the template, I guess that's the most important piece.

What pad thai recipe did you use?  

Cheers!

• Moderators

I'm in the same boat, except I started Feb 1 (I love it when the dates match up  B) ).  So you work full time?  And are still able to make those awesome recipes.  I feel like I need to try harder in the kitchen, but it's so overwhelming to me.  Most of my meals are pretty simple and on point with the template, I guess that's the most important piece.

What pad thai recipe did you use?  

Cheers!

I work full time, but am fortunate that I get to work from home quite a bit. I try to get a lot of my cooking done on the weekend, otherwise it probably won't get done. I don't always do recipes like I did this week, sometimes I just brown ground beef and grill or bake some chicken pieces, or maybe put a whole chicken in the crockpot to roast, then try to have veggies chopped up and ready to cook in the fridge so I don't have to get home from work and spend time chopping vegetables. If they'll last well for several days, I'll even cook the vegetables beforehand -- for instance root veggies, winter squashes and sweet potatoes can be roasted ahead of time and several servings kept in the fridge to be reheated.

I used the pad thai recipe from The Clothes Make The Girl, although I tone down her sunshine sauce a lot because it's too spicy for me -- I cut out the red pepper flakes completely but up the garlic and ginger, because they give it a little bit of bite, but in a way that's not too spice for my wimpy taste buds.

• Moderators

Shannon, I seriously thought that the moderators were super humans ...

No, definitely not super human here. Just a very grumpy human who has been annoyed by work stuff and craving donuts most of the day.  :wacko:

Day 4: Randomly woke up before my alarm this morning, but at least I wasn't sleepy all day like yesterday.

PhotoGrid_1423802971377.jpg

Breakfast: chicken and broccoli slaw scrambled with eggs, topped with sunshine sauce.

Lunch: Rogan josh over spaghetti squash, belly dance beet salad, and El Minzah orange salad.

Supper: Baked chicken over sauteed broccoli slaw, topped with mayo and garlic dill sauerkraut, and a baked sweet potato with sunshine sauce.

• Moderators

Day 5 (yesterday):

PhotoGrid_1423922708264.jpg

Breakfast: Sauteed some collard greens, then added some walnuts, chopped dates, and chopped baked chicken -- it was better than I expected it to be! Plus some El Minzah Orange Salad

Lunch: sliced hot dog, steamed frozen green beans with sunshine sauce, and the last of the orange salad.

Supper: Hamburger patty, steamed green beans, and roasted sweet potato with mayo for dipping, and a grape kombucha.

Shannon, I am just wondering if it would help you reset your taste buds if you limit the sweet ingredients in your meals. You mentioned in your first post that the sugar dragon was back, and I can't help but think you may just be more sensitive to traces of sugar in your meals. Dates, oranges, grapefruit, kombucha... May be worth a try to just do green apples :)

• Moderators

Shannon, I am just wondering if it would help you reset your taste buds if you limit the sweet ingredients in your meals. You mentioned in your first post that the sugar dragon was back, and I can't help but think you may just be more sensitive to traces of sugar in your meals. Dates, oranges, grapefruit, kombucha... May be worth a try to just do green apples :)

In retrospect, the orange salad may not have been the best choice to make for the first week of a Whole30 when I knew I'd been having too many sweet things before, but since I had it made up, I had some most days. That alone might have been enough to keep the cravings going. They are getting better now though, so I'll get through it. I'll go for less fruit this coming week, for sure. 

Day 6 -- I really need to go to the grocery store. I probably should have done that today, but I still haven't done much meal planning for next week. I know I'm doing a whole chicken in the crockpot, it's already thawing in the fridge, as is some sausage to make a breakfast casserole. Other than that, I have no idea. I should probably work on that. 

PhotoGrid_1423969954557.jpg

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with broccoli slaw and a hot dog, baked sweet potato with sunshine sauce.

Lunch: Meat & spinach muffin, hot dog, silky ginger zucchini soup, and red beet and cabbage sauerkraut.

Supper: eggs scrambled with a hot dog, celery, carrots, and sunshine sauce.

• Moderators

You're doing great, Shannon. So many hot dogs crack me up! Reminds me I have some in the freezer for emergencies. Very brave of you to post pics of all your meals. My bottom of the barrel meals would be so much ugly--and so many sardines. 

Really enjoying following along!

• Moderators

You're doing great, Shannon. So many hot dogs crack me up! Reminds me I have some in the freezer for emergencies. Very brave of you to post pics of all your meals. My bottom of the barrel meals would be so much ugly--and so many sardines.

Really enjoying following along!

Yeah, I'm a little tired of hot dogs now. They were convenient when I was about out of everything, and once I opened the package, I felt like I should go ahead and use them, but I'm definitely looking forward to better protein options now.

• Moderators

Day 7

PhotoGrid_1424059177282.jpg

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, carrots, snap peas, and celery with sunshine sauce.

Lunch: hamburger patty, collard greens with walnuts and dates, garlic-dill sauerkraut, grape kombucha.

Supper: Ground beef, brussel sprouts, some sweet potato, topped with red beet and cabbage sauerkraut and mayo.

• Moderators

Day 8

PhotoGrid_1424151184195.jpg

Breakfast: Roast beef, because I'd had it cooking in the crockpot overnight, so why not have it for breakfast, spaghetti squash, and spinach

Lunch: Scrambled eggs and zucchini and yellow squash with sausage

Supper: Ground beef and bok choy, baked sweet potato with almond butter, grape kombucha

• Moderators

Almond butter on a sweet potato?  Interesting!  Going to have to give that a whirl!

That was the first time I tried it, I usually just put coconut oil on them. The almond butter was a nice change, but not so great that I'd want to use it all the time.

Day 9

PhotoGrid_1424283206296.jpg

Breakfast:  Spinach, sweet potato, and sausage scrambled with eggs, apple with almond butter

Lunch: Roast beef, spaghetti squash, and brussel sprouts, and a grape kombucha

Supper: (forgot to take a pic, but it didn't really look that great anyway) Ground beef, sweet potato, and brussel sprouts.

• Moderators

Day 10: (yesterday)

PhotoGrid_1424317862193.jpg

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with sausage and spaghetti squash and some asparagus with Tessemae's Lemonette dressing.

Lunch: Baked sweet potato with coconut oil, ground beef and yellow squash, and sliced cucumber with Moroccan Dipping Sauce.

Supper: Roast beef and spaghetti squash topped with Moroccan Dipping Sauce and a salad with spinach, cucumber, celery, and tomatoes and Lemonette dressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived