Just keep gaining weight...

sharonm

Are there any rules pertaining to portion control. I am an old male, need to lose 20 pounds, I stick to the whole 30 diet, but tend to "graze" after dinner...all legal foods, but still I continue to eat til I go to sleep. Is this causing my lack of weight loss? This is my second trip thru the Whole 30, 1st time lost 7 pounds, gained most back over the holidays, now onto my 2nd trip through. Any suggestions on portion size and grazing.

Hey mandelsw, doesnt sound like you have found or are following the program's meal planning template... this provides guidelines for portion sizes and how often to eat (protein each meal 1-2 hand sizes, fat each meal 1-2 thumb sizes for oils or various handful sizes for olives, nuts, coconut), lots of vegies of course plus aiming for three meals a day prefereably without any snacks, better to add a fourth mini or full size meal that snack meals/grazing......

Strangely, I also gained about 4lbs pounds and fit more snugly in my clothes after each of the 2 Whole30s I've done. I think it's all the focus on food and not eating certain things - seems to make me overeat or feel nervous about not having enough food. Due to recent issues with gallbladder attacks, I've spent the last 2 months eating pretty much fiberless junk food. And guess what ... I've lost 4 pounds! Go figure! That said, I felt soooo much better when I was on the Whole30. My energy levels were better sustained when I'd go for runs. My moods were better, too. I think it will just take time getting comfortable "off-roading" before I start to feel less anxious about eating the right food and worrying about if I ate enough, etc. I'm sorry my post isn't more helpful - and many months later - but just wanted to add in my experience.

It maybe worthwhile getting your adrenals checked through a saliva test. I know have low cortisol during the day, and then my thyroid hormones don't work properly. I gained about 8 lbs in one year (eating well and exercising) due to high Reverse T3 numbers. Where my thyroid hormone wasn't reaching the cells properly due to not having the cortisol to help it in the cells. For some reason this leads to immediate weight gain. I'm working on all of this now. I'm not gaining weight, cause I switched to a different thyroid hormone, but working on losing weight. Low cortisol also leads to unstable blood sugar, I would crave sugar like crazy, and wake at night hungry with adrenalyn pumping at 4am. All the while My regular thyroid tested "normal" my reverse T3 number was off the charts high.

This is all very complicated stuff, but I know I used to beat my self up for not losing weight or cheating here or there on my diet. It's not what I was eating really, there is a malfunction with my body that i have to deal with. I'm working though this with a

naturopath dr. to see why my adrenals are so messed up. Unfortunately, it's really common to have adrenal fatigue that leads to a lot of other problems. My personal opinion would be to go to the Naturopath Dr to see what maybe getting in your way to health and weight loss success if traditional methods aren't working. There is a lot they can do!

Are there any rules pertaining to portion control. I am an old male, need to lose 20 pounds, I stick to the whole 30 diet, but tend to "graze" after dinner...all legal foods, but still I continue to eat til I go to sleep. Is this causing my lack of weight loss? This is my second trip thru the Whole 30, 1st time lost 7 pounds, gained most back over the holidays, now onto my 2nd trip through. Any suggestions on portion size and grazing.

I would just focus on the meal planning guidelines, and eating enough to not need to graze? Are you asking yourself the "am I hungry enough to eat steamed fish and veggies?" question before you go for food?

Personally, I've struggled with grazing, and just declaring myself done eating at X time (and staying away/out of the kitchen) has helped.

If I really want food at 8 or 9pm, I just go to sleep.

Archived