STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello there, I want to start AGAIN ! ! ! I am joining you on March 1. This is not my first time. I am currently doing the plan about 98% of the time, but really want to complete a whole 30 days without any slip ups! My first attempt, on day 16 I gave in and had a glass of wine. I then started over and was doing great. I got the flu,took meds that were loaded with sugar. The past three weeks I have been just experimenting with foods,while waiting to get better and start again. I had set a start date for April 1st, Why wait!! I saw your post and thought NOW is the time. I AM IN !

Hello there....check out some of the posts and topics on this forum. There is so much to read. Go to the whole 30 home page, there are links for the rules and where to start. I also found reading the book, It Starts With Food, very helpful and filled with tons of information Especially the science behind it all. If you have questions, just ask, there are tons of people that are willing to help and support you!! I can tell you.....you will feel like a million bucks! ! !

I'm new here and am planning to start my first Whole30 on March 1st (gives me time to clear the pantry, fridge and freezer out). Bit nervous as I love my cereals, dairy and sweets.... but none for me. And back to a few drops of lemon and lime juice to flavour my water.

• Administrators

Good on you guys for starting well in advance to make sure you are well prepared and well versed in all of our resources!  See some of our most popular links in my signature below.

Since you folks do have time between now and your start date, I recommend that you start trying to phase out non-Whole30 compliant foods such as cereals, breads, sugars and dairy now.  You don't have to be perfect yet but start replacing those items with protein, veggies and good fats.  If you aren't used to eating a full breakfast within an hour of waking, start practicing now.  You'll experience much less distress in the first week to 10 days if you start cleaning up Ye Olde Diet now.  ;)  Also, your level of suckitude/transition during those first few days is going to be directly proportional to how "off plan" you were eating prior...so while it can be tempting to have "a last blow out", it is not recommended.

:)

I agree....start limiting some of the foods. It will make the detox period a lot easier. When I first started, I had a LAST SUPER with all of my favorite foods. MISTAKE......I felt like crap the first 2 weeks. The second time, I didn't have to give up much, and it was so much easier!! I shouldn't have any detox issues this time either. Then only thing that has been added has been the sugar and chemicals in my medicine, and 1/2 TEASPOON of sugar in my coffee. I am still wheat, dairy, grain, additive, legume, and snack free. Once I get over this flu, I plan on getting back to working out. You will be amazed how great you will feel.

:D Welcome everyone, glad to have an enthusiastic group to communicate with during our March 1st W30. This will be my 2nd...I had decided to follow another March 1 thread, but this thread is more active so hope you'll have me on board???

I then started over and was doing great. I got the flu,took meds that were loaded with sugar.

Pyrotek, when I did my Jan 1 W30 I had a coughing fit that lasted days and I couldn't shift it. Went to the doctor who diagnosed it as an allergy and prescribed a nasal spray and ventolin inhaler. I was gutted because I didn't want to put any chemicals into my body during my W30 but he assured me they would be inimally disruptive. I suppose it depends on how much of the sugary/chemical filled medication you had to take and for how long before you decided it had ruined your attempt at a complete W30. One day wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I'm guessing you had to do this for a week or more. Shame a lot of people pick up bugs during their W30, I hear it all the time!

This is will be my first time. I am in to start on March 1! I feel so lost! I guess from now until then I will be doing a lot of reading to understand everything. Please share all/any experience with the program and the rules

resilientcORE - you're in good company! This community is so supportive (and fun), that you'll be fine. To all the other newbies - can't wait to share stories with you...

I will re-post here what I had written on the other thread so you can learn more about me...

Hi everyone, I did a W30 on January 1st and have decided for various reasons (and after great success) to do another one in March - hope you don't mind if I jump on board the March 1st W30 train? I've been posting here http://forum.whole9l...oduction-phase/ in the re-into forum and here http://forum.whole9l...join-me/page-54 in the W30 forum/Jan 1st thread.

I was a newbie this year also, but look, I've become an 'Advanced Member' - LOL, not sure what sort of credentials that gives me??? B)

We had such a great group of people posting on these threads, that I've put a call out to the group to see whether anyone wants to do a March 1st W30 with us. I found the forum an invaluable tool in my W30 journey so read away, post away and you'll stay engaged!

This time around I too have hubby on board - Yeah!!!! He is proud of the results I achieved in round 1 and feels it's time to give it a go himself and get HIS health back on track. Whilst he doesn't have any chronic diseases like your husband, he has hereditary high cholesterol and blood pressure and doesn't sleep! I GUARANTEE you we'll see improvements in ailments at the end of this - if you stay true to the plan (and it's easy, trust me)!

As you can see, I like to post loooooong updates, so bare with me......looking forward to sharing the journey!

Leanne xx

PS: Ladyshanny is a fantastic moderator - take her advice!

I'm starting March 1st too !  A little nervous because I have to make a birthday cake for my daughter whose birthday is March 3rd, but if I can get through that it should be smooth sailing !  I always felt better just cutting out carbs, so I'm looking forward to how good clean eating will make me feel.  I'm tired of feeling bloated and gassy all the time.  Now, to get my family of four behind me, and not tempting me to eat their way.  Hopefully, I can get them to eat like me too, and we'll all feel better !

I going to lag behind until March 8th as I have a planned beach vacation March 6th.  I have been working on becoming paleo for about 3 weeks now.  Still reading the book, forums, IG, FB anything and everything.  That is the greatest thing about paleo is there is so much wonderful information and helpful people.  It has taken me this long to get the hang of it.  To investigate my foods for hidden non whole 30 ingredients.  I think knowledge is power.  The body achieves what the mind believes.  

Hello everyone,

My name is Sheila and I have finished my first Whole30 in January successfully.  I felt great, lost weight, and my body feels great overall.  I did the re-introduction to non-Paleo compliant food in February and I noticed when I consume milk or other dairy products, I had some flare ups with allergies.  I only did the dairy re-introduction, I couldn't get myself to eat rice, pasta and bread again.  Before I delved fully into the Whole30 adventure this past January, I gradually transitioned away from eating foods with no breaks--bread, rice and pasta and some chips to name a few...rice was hard for me to give up because I ate rice most of my life.  I began in October of 2014 and it took a long time before I weaned off of the grains.

I stuck with eating Paleo lifestyle, My weakness...are chocolates...which I indulged a bit here and there....  :wacko:   I learned a lot from the January Whole30 and learned about spices and condiments which are paelo and non-paleo compliant.  The hardest part to learn was reading the ingredients labels with critical eye. and catch the sneaky pseudonames for MSG, Sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.  Additionally, I discovered some of the great spices available to flavor foods and meats and veggies.  Not only that, I learned to appreciate vegetables and meals I would never thought I would enjoy today.  

Hey Sheila, great to see you again (we know each other from Jan 1st forum chats)!

I'm starting March 1st too !  A little nervous because I have to make a birthday cake for my daughter whose birthday is March 3rd, but if I can get through that it should be smooth sailing !  I always felt better just cutting out carbs, so I'm looking forward to how good clean eating will make me feel.  I'm tired of feeling bloated and gassy all the time.  Now, to get my family of four behind me, and not tempting me to eat their way.  Hopefully, I can get them to eat like me too, and we'll all feel better !

Sunshinestate24, I hear you re: birthday cake dilemma! My youngest son is turning 15, late March so there will be celebrations underway around that time for me also. Can I just reassure you that even though you're the only one in your family doing this W30, you can do it! My family (hubby, 2 teenage sons), are THE WORST eaters! They graze on high carb food all day, and don't know what it is to eat a fruit or vegetable unelss it is served up to them in a meal.Younger son even eats his apples with Nutella! When I did W30 on Jan 1, I got through it without having to cook seperate meals by a) choosing a W30 meal B) adapting that meal for the rest of the family ie: if we were having paleo thai green curry (chicken), I'd eat mine with cauliflower rice and they would have regular rice + oven baked spring rolls OR if we were having taco night, I'd make sure the taco meat was W30 compliant, and I'd eat mine in a lettuce cup (like san choy bow), with all the mexican salad and avo accompaniments. I even baked the family a tea-cake (just because I thought they'd like it), and I didn't even lick the beaters. I knew I couldn't eat that 'stuff', but was happy knowing that I was making them happy (if you know what I mean)?!

I love the activity in this group! I am sure it will be a great benefit to me as a newbie in this journey!

I have one specific topic I would like for someone to verify...We are to eat only three meals and there is no snacking in between meals even if it is an approved W30 food..is this correct?

Also, what are other ways to stay engaged with the group when I am on the go..like is there an app or an easy way to have access to the forum without a computer?...

resilientcORE, glad you're pumped! I can tell you that the forum's are KEY to staying engaged in this program!

I'm not a moderator, so I can only tell you what I've learnt, BUT yes, the way to balance your hormones is to only eat 3 satiating (is that a word?) meals a day and snacks only when you really need to.

I'm a snacker from way back (healthy snacks of course ;)), but I did learn on my previous W30 that if I ate template meals ie: the right amount of fat, protein, veggies etc, I didn't yearn for snacks in between. Approved W30 snacks are OK on the odd occasion, but generally try to stick to 3 satisfying meals (and no treats - ie: SWYPO)!

I hate Facebook and other forms of social media because I don't really want the entire world knowing about my personal life - HOWEVER, a forum such as this is the perfect environment to connect with 'like minded' peeps, so I'm happy here. :P

However.....I know a lot of people prefer FB, so check out the FB pages on W30 if you prefer? I suppose you can just keep this thread as a favourite and check in on your phone? That's what I would do if I didn't have access to a computer.....best of luck, stay in touch! xx

• Administrators

I have one specific topic I would like for someone to verify...We are to eat only three meals and there is no snacking in between meals even if it is an approved W30 food..is this correct?

leaC is bang on, eating three meals a day that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours is the key to balancing hormones and blood sugar. We recommend you eat a full template breakfast within one hour of waking and if you do require a snack (maybe your meal wasn't large enough or you have more than 5 hours between meals) we recommend that it is a mini-meal containing at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies. Snacking on fruit or nuts or both is not recommended and is the best way to keep your blood sugar and hormones on a wild ride.

• Moderators

I love the activity in this group! I am sure it will be a great benefit to me as a newbie in this journey!

Also, what are other ways to stay engaged with the group when I am on the go..like is there an app or an easy way to have access to the forum without a computer?...

Three meals a day with no snacking is recommended. However, if you are truly hungry (as in you could eat something bland and boring like plain fish and broccoli) you can eat. If you do need to eat between meals, make it a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, don't just have fruit or nuts.

If you work out, you also get pre-and post-workout meals, which are explained in the meal template, which you can find here: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

We definitely discourage mindless snacking, like eating while watching TV, or eating out of boredom. However, this is a recommendation, not a rule. If all your foods you eat are compliant, you're still doing a whole30. You'll just get better results if you go for three meals plus pre and post workout meals and no snacking.

As for apps, no, there isn't one. I check the forum on my phone without any problems, just using the internet (obviously this uses data if you're not connected to Wi-Fi). There's not quite the same functionality as on a computer for composing messages but it's not bad. I've also read that some people use Tapatalk but I haven't tried it.

Hey Sheila, great to see you again (we know each other from Jan 1st forum chats)!

Sunshinestate24, I hear you re: birthday cake dilemma! My youngest son is turning 15, late March so there will be celebrations underway around that time for me also. Can I just reassure you that even though you're the only one in your family doing this W30, you can do it! My family (hubby, 2 teenage sons), are THE WORST eaters! They graze on high carb food all day, and don't know what it is to eat a fruit or vegetable unelss it is served up to them in a meal.Younger son even eats his apples with Nutella! When I did W30 on Jan 1, I got through it without having to cook seperate meals by a) choosing a W30 meal B) adapting that meal for the rest of the family ie: if we were having paleo thai green curry (chicken), I'd eat mine with cauliflower rice and they would have regular rice + oven baked spring rolls OR if we were having taco night, I'd make sure the taco meat was W30 compliant, and I'd eat mine in a lettuce cup (like san choy bow), with all the mexican salad and avo accompaniments. I even baked the family a tea-cake (just because I thought they'd like it), and I didn't even lick the beaters. I knew I couldn't eat that 'stuff', but was happy knowing that I was making them happy (if you know what I mean)?!

Hey LeaC, great to see you in the forum again!!  

Thank you for all the responses! I am very scared about this because I am addicted to sugar and in general have issues with food, which is one of the reasons why I want to do it. But I am scared that I will give in to temptation and not complete the whole 30 days. 

Besides the book and website, are there any other resources to rely on during the journey? I am not sure I will be able to purchase the book before March 1st

I want to be able to have meals at least planned out since that is something I struggle with on the regular. I want to be able to minimize anything that could hinder a successful W30!

OK, I started today instead of waiting until March 1st.  We went out of town this weekend and ate out a lot, so I was feeling bloated and icky.  I, too, am a snacker from way back, and did bring some fruit to snack on at work.  I have a very sedentary job, and there's always goodies around, so I thought if I had enough to keep me full all day, I wouldn't be tempted.  So far I had for breakfast scrambled eggs with green pepper, onion, and ham, and two pieces of turkey bacon.  I could eat that every day and not blink an eye.  I had an orange, a plum, a salad with egg, olives, oil and vinegar dressing and tuna for lunch.  I have a sweet potato for later, and some almonds.  For dinner, I'm hoping to have time to cook a piece of chicken, and have some green beans, before I'm off to basketball practice with my youngest.  

The good news ...  hubby is on board to start eating this way also.  Now, we can keep each other in line.  I'm not a creative cook, very basic, so I hope I can keep us both (and the kids) satisfied.  I still plan to go through the end of March, but wanted a little jump start instead of feeling bad all week waiting for the 1st to come around.  I hope I can still be a part of this group !

Archived