STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

Sans snack!  Sans snack!  I think I'm going to get a t-shirt with that written on it.  Love being snack free - it seems so much easier.

I'm officially back on day 3 - unofficially I'll call it day 15.  Re-read the 'rules' last night to make sure I don't miss anything this time.  Smiled when I read the part about not weighing or measuring yourself.  No one said you can't try on your skinny jeans though :) to see how you're progressing.  I've been Paleo since January 5th and am down 14 lbs prior to starting Whole30.  My goal for Whole30 is all about awareness.  Doing great not snacking - a real victory for me.

I bought a spiralizer this weekend - will find a recipe today and share it with you later Carmen.  I need to make more of an effort in the days ahead to try new recipes.  

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 16 everyone! Carmen, two fave recipes I Love are easy and inexpensive and OH so goooood:

Fish-n-chips

Stuffed peppers (scroll down) - I've stuffed a large raw pepper cut in half as well and it is really crispy sweet crunchy tasty.

This morning I had mini yellow and red peppers sliced in half with my breaky of one fried egg, bacon bits and pieces and crispy sausage"hash" with celeriac. Damn good.

Good day!

xob

Agh I wish that Lebanese place that you all have in Australia was here in the United States too! I have found several options here for eating out though, which is nice. My favorite is the hot bar at Whole Foods, since they list the ingredients for you!

Janeroyal, that is such a bummer about the tuna. It's crazy! I found something at the store that is a "selects" version of a common tuna brand, and it's just tuna, olive oil, salt. That's it. I bought some this weekend in case I want some tuna throughout the week!

I also need to work on my snacking. I always eat a little dried or regular fruit at night... part of me is like, okay, it's FRUIT. I shouldn't be hard on myself for eating fruit. I've done a lot worse in the past. The other part of me wants to break the after dinner sweet snack habit, and I know it's not a hunger issue. I should take some inspiration from you guys and commit to no after-dinner snacks for a week starting now, and I will see how it goes!

Otherwise I've been doing really well, aside from having a cold. It's getting better though! This past weekend, I made two recipes from Against All Grain (Slow cooker orange chicken, thai crunch salad), and one from Stupid Easy Paleo (beef and broccoli). Two recipes called for honey, but I made date paste and subbed that instead. It was great!!

Sans snack!  Sans snack!  I think I'm going to get a t-shirt with that written on it.  Love being snack free - it seems so much easier.

I'm officially back on day 3 - unofficially I'll call it day 15.  Re-read the 'rules' last night to make sure I don't miss anything this time.  Smiled when I read the part about not weighing or measuring yourself.  No one said you can't try on your skinny jeans though :) to see how you're progressing.  I've been Paleo since January 5th and am down 14 lbs prior to starting Whole30.  My goal for Whole30 is all about awareness.  Doing great not snacking - a real victory for me.

I bought a spiralizer this weekend - will find a recipe today and share it with you later Carmen.  I need to make more of an effort in the days ahead to try new recipes.

I bought a spiralizer last week and haven't had a chance to use it. I can't wait for summer and all of the fresh zucchini and squash.

Keep up the great work!

I bought a spiralizer last week and haven't had a chance to use it. I can't wait for summer and all of the fresh zucchini and squash.

Keep up the great work!

Noodlifying fresh zucchini is heresy unless its growing out your ears and you want more things to do with it. Proper garden-fresh zucchini, should be grilled. If grilling isn't feasible, roasting will do in a pinch. Nice thick slices, seasoning on the outside without sacrificing the zucchini flavor. ...I seem to have become a zucchini freak. Last summer's zucchini was just that good.

How is everyone feeling? What's one new recipe you found that you have already tried are going to try?

Am still feeling full of beans Carmen! It's interesting this time around I'm noticing different 'things' about my body. Such as, this time my skin isn't doing great ie: it's a bit dry and the excema on my hands isn't healing as well as in January. HOWEVER, my reflexes and mental allertness have surpassed January's results - LOL!!! :lol:  Even when I'm a bit clumsy and drop or knock something, my ninja :ph34r: skills catch it before hitting the floor - every time! Glad to have a clear head - woo hoo!

Recipes.....This is sooo good: Paleo Spaghetti Bolognese http://paleoaustralia.com/2013/07/paleo-spaghetti-bolognese-recipe/  with 2 chopped dates added to sweeten and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast AND Nom Nom's SP Hash - yummm

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs

Ooh, on favourite recipes topic, I just made (first time) Shrimp Chowder for M3 http://www.mommypotamus.com/shrimp-chowder-dairy-free/ . Thank you mommypotamus - it was DEVINE and I believe it's my new favourite recipe! (Instead of chopping and adding all the shrimp at the end, I blended half the shrimp with the other blended ingredients to give it even more flavour), Mmmmmm... :wub:

On a side note, gotta take my hat off to hubby - he's staying strong! Unfortunately last night we took a midnight trip to the emergency department because he had such an excrutiating headache that he didn't know what to do with himself. Hours later and by the time it got to breakfast this morning, he gladly accepted toast & coffee (don't forget - he's doing the Whole30 HIS way), lunch was fish, potato & pumpkin and then I picked him up and brought him back home. I asked if he wanted to cave and eat comfort food after his ordeal, maybe a pastrie or muffin? He said 'no, I'm fine with whatever you give me'! He's back on the horse. So proud of him and all he ate that was non-compliant was toast! :wub:

• Administrators

On a side note, gotta take my hat off to hubby - he's staying strong! Unfortunately last night we took a midnight trip to the emergency department because he had such an excrutiating headache that he didn't know what to do with himself. Hours later and by the time it got to breakfast this morning, he gladly accepted toast & coffee (don't forget - he's doing the Whole30 HIS way), lunch was fish, potato & pumpkin and then I picked him up and brought him back home. I asked if he wanted to cave and eat comfort food after his ordeal, maybe a pastrie or muffin? He said 'no, I'm fine with whatever you give me'! He's back on the horse. So proud of him and all he ate that was non-compliant was toast! :wub:

Holy smokes, poor hubby! What was he eventually diagnosed/treated with? Migraine?

Ooh, on favourite recipes topic, I just made (first time) Shrimp Chowder for M3 http://www.mommypotamus.com/shrimp-chowder-dairy-free/ . Thank you mommypotamus - it was DEVINE and I believe it's my new favourite recipe! (Instead of chopping and adding all the shrimp at the end, I blended half the shrimp with the other blended ingredients to give it even more flavour), Mmmmmm... :wub:

Just out of curiosity, does your husband have allergies or sinus infection. Last year I had a headache for a week straight, finally went to the Dr and they said I had a sinus infection, the pressure in my sinuses caused a headache. So glad you have had a positive influence on him. Thanks for sharing all of the yummy recipes.  :)

Happy St. Patrick's Day and Day 17! I'm so proud of everyone for staying strong and so motivated. I woke up fully energized and alert today. I forgot to drink my coffee during breakfast but didn't need it! I typically drink one cup a day after I eat breakfast, but not dependent on the caffeine. This is something I changed last year when I was doing my first Whole30. I read to not drink coffee before or during breakfast but after. Ever since I've been doing that, I definitely enjoy my breakfast. 

I've been on a sweet potato hash kick. This morning I made a sweet potato hash but instead of poached eggs, I mixed in scrambled eggs. It was delicious, but I still love my poached eggs.  I've noticed that I don't have cravings for anything sweet. I've been around a bunch of sweets but knowing that everyone else here has been doing so well helps me stay focused. Plus I would rather indulge in something better, like bacon that won't make me feel yuck!  :)

What's one NEW food that you've tried that surprisingly you liked? For me, I tried olives (first Whole30) and LOVE them. I haven't tried anything out of the ordinary this time around. I need some suggestions. 

What's one NEW food that you've tried that surprisingly you liked? For me, I tried olives (first Whole30) and LOVE them. I haven't tried anything out of the ordinary this time around. I need some suggestions. 

LOVE olives, yum! I recently tried sauerkraut since I've been hearing so much about fermented foods. I actually love it, and since I have cabbage in the fridge, I may try and make my own this week as well!

Happy St. Paddy's Day 17!

Carmen and LeaC - I hear you re: sinus infections. What's interesting is that ever since I've given up gluten, and lowered the dairy intake, they went away. Now after W30, I haven't gotten even a real cold this year! Unheard of! Hope your hubby is OK, leaC!!!

Today, I thoroughly enjoyed my breaky of two fried eggs, bacon bits and pieces and a small bit of sausage fried to crispy yumminess and 1/2 cup acorn squash. Jasmine green tea. Yummy!

Lunch (M2) will be chicken wings and steamed kale with a bit of oo/lemon. 

Dinner (M3) will be quite light - not sure yet. Probably 1/2 stuffed yellow pepper with tuna sal. 

I'll say again, my tummy is reallyyyyyy liking light dinners! I've been wanting to do this for a long while, but just didn't have it in me. Thanks to W30 and sticking with it, I'm finally coming around to eating before 6 in the evening, no grazing after and very light dinners! woohoo!

On weekends I let loose a bit with dinners but have NO PROB going back to lightness on sunday/monday! It's like we're having this bonding experience, my tummy and me. ;) I can actually hear my tummy say, "OK, I'm needing to go light again. Needing a break here..." :)

The good ole food pyramid. It's interesting to see how some people are stuck in their old ways. Which is why Whole30 is great, it forces you out of your habits. They say it takes about 3 weeks to develop a habit, so a few more days and our eating patterns will be habitual (or close to it).  I don't have any kiddos myself, however I like to lead by example keeping in mind that I never know who I may have an influence on.   :)

Happy Day 18! 

I decided to "treat" myself yesterday and I bought a new flavor of La Croix, Pina Fraise (Pineapple Strawberry). It is delicious. I considered this a "treat" because I'm trying to cut back my spending on items like beverages, (coffee, etc), clothes, etc. and buy only the necessities. 

What's your favorite La Croix flavor? I really like Cerise Limon (Cherry Lime) and pina Fraise

Carmen i buy talking rain sparkling water as it's tasty and really inexpensive although it's not packaged very prettily. ;) That said, GOOD FOR YOU treating yourself to something compliant, healthy and tasty!! And for awareness of habitual spending - I know that one!! What do rich people do who don't have to budget????? I consider my middle-class income a blessing in disguise. 

I gotta pinch the pennies... might be saving money with abstaining from lattes and scones but i'm still spending more on healthy food. TOTALLY WORTH IT! 

So last night I came home from work completely wiped out. Sunday night my tummy had a reaction to to the beef spare ribs in bone broth  I've been reading that bone broth is bad for SIBO and well, at first it seemed to be helping but on Sunday my gut did not like it at all. Neither did my head - a slow ache developed and started clamping down late into the evening. So I put the rest in the freezer and am now sans bone broth. Mwah. There - I've expressed my disappointment and am now sans self-pity. :) :) :)

My mornings have been fairly perky but my evenings are really draggybutty. Last night I found myself in bed by 8:45 and read 'till around 10 - that was nice though. 

This morning I feel the best since the incident. Sunday night was the worst. Last night just reallyyyyy tired. Fog has cleared a bit. Gut still healing. I love you, gut. I'm taking care of you. Sorry about the bone broth. 

Tummy is happy now with healthy breaky of one fried egg, a bit of sausage and 1/2 cup acorn squash. Now sipping my jasmine green tea. Happy day 18!!

xob

Happy Day 18 to you all too :) So glad to see all of you guys doing so well. I have been LOVING the way I am feeling - even when those cravings for girl scout cookies are REALLY strong.

I have been doing really well and eating all good Whole 30 things! It was hard not to celebrate St. Patrick's with my friends the way I am used to, but while they all had their Irish coffee with whiskey, sugar and whipcream, I was sippin on come coconut lacroix water to feel fancy and like I was celebrating. I made a great Colcannon that used coconut milk and turkey broth instead of butter and cream, and the corned beef and cabbage was so delish and nutrutious! Ate a lot of greens in a grilled veggie salad too. A way healthier way to celebrate than drinking Irish Car Bombs and getting drunk. My body (AND LIVER) is thanking me so much.

I have also been doing a 30 yoga challenge too, and been going ALMOST every day, so sweating out those built up toxins feels good, as well as burning the fat on my body, and toning those muscles.

I haven't been on a scale all month! I forgot to weigh and measure myself before the Whole 30, but I do have the weight I was at a few weeks before and it is my heaviest I've been. So I am sure I will see the difference at the end of the month! ALONG with all the non-scale victories of seeing my body get more toned and lean and feeling energetic and fit.

Thanks for the encouragement and honest stories, you wonderful people!!  :lol:

Just made this tonight (from your recommendation) ... very good!  I didn't read the recipe carefully and didn't notice I needed to peel the zucchini ... so my soup was green ...ha, but still yummy!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words re: hubby's hospital visit. He's suffered from headaches all his life and has actually gotten used to migraines. This was different to a migraine, unbearable and weird pain. However, they couldn't work out what was causing the intense pain so put it down to an extreme migraine - of course....Carmen I'm not sure it has anything to do with allergies, but interesting observation of your own experience! Thanks for sharing.

Just made this tonight (from your recommendation) ... very good!  I didn't read the recipe carefully and didn't notice I needed to peel the zucchini ... so my soup was green ...ha, but still yummy!  Thanks for sharing!

Glad I was an influence in your kitchen WholeChristina! LOL about the green soup....I didn't peel my zucchini either (must have missed that also - was it in super tiny print that neither of us saw)??!! All I know is that it tasted sublime and I didn't notice the colour, really! :o

So, today is my youngest son's 15th Birthday. He had a school friend over for dinner and sleep over and so good mum that I am, I brought home a steaming hot meat lovers pizza & garlic bread for them to share. Hubby and I had pork schnitzel crumbed in crushed nuts & pan fried + sweet potato hash (I hear you Carmen - sp hash lovin), kale chips & 'Life in a Jar' fermented vegies.

My son does NOT like cake, and the only flavour icecream he will eat is chocolate, so when it comes to birthday cakes it's tricky (but usually follows the same theme). Tonight's birthday dessert was choc icecream with milk chocolate peices broken over the top & white chocolate grated all over - with a couple of candles atop. Looked a treat... :blink:

I'm not fussed all that much about chocoloate - I am happy to eat a tiny piece here or there but hubby on the other hand was devistated he couldn't partake in the chocolate on chocolate icecream concoction!

Bronny, sorry to hear about your bone broth incident - shame because you love a good bone broth.

Hope everyone is still doing well and staying strong - we're nearing the 3 week mark!

Leanne xx

Woohoo, day 19! I definitely felt the "tiger blood" last night - decided to make sauerkraut and clean the kitchen at 9pm! I definitely need to make an ACTUAL effort to sleep more, though. I always say I will... then I just stay up. I've been getting maybe 6.5 hours of sleep, 7 on a good night... but I don't think it's quite enough. Tonight, I'm vowing to be IN MY BED trying to sleep by 10:30!

I'm wondering if any of you guys have meal suggestions - the situation is that my boyfriend wants to make dinner with me this weekend! Usually we're on very different schedules, and don't often cook together, or even eat together unless we are going out. Where my diet is mostly meat and veggies at this point, his is mostly meat and bread - he doesn't like too many vegetables. Believe me, I've helped him make a few changes since we met - at that point, his diet was like, exclusively PB&J sandwiches and burgers, so... baby steps!

In any case: do any of you have any suggestions for meat-based meals that I could make with the bf? We've done tacos and burgers, so I'm looking for something easy like that, where I could serve the meat that we make with veggies, and he could serve it with bread et. al.? :)  :blink:

Woohoo, day 19! I definitely felt the "tiger blood" last night - decided to make sauerkraut and clean the kitchen at 9pm! I definitely need to make an ACTUAL effort to sleep more, though. I always say I will... then I just stay up. I've been getting maybe 6.5 hours of sleep, 7 on a good night... but I don't think it's quite enough. Tonight, I'm vowing to be IN MY BED trying to sleep by 10:30!

I'm wondering if any of you guys have meal suggestions - the situation is that my boyfriend wants to make dinner with me this weekend! Usually we're on very different schedules, and don't often cook together, or even eat together unless we are going out. Where my diet is mostly meat and veggies at this point, his is mostly meat and bread - he doesn't like too many vegetables. Believe me, I've helped him make a few changes since we met - at that point, his diet was like, exclusively PB&J sandwiches and burgers, so... baby steps!

In any case: do any of you have any suggestions for meat-based meals that I could make with the bf? We've done tacos and burgers, so I'm looking for something easy like that, where I could serve the meat that we make with veggies, and he could serve it with bread et. al.? :)  :blink:

A few suggestions just off the top of my head. You can make spaghetti bolognese or meatballs, and serve yours with spaghetti squash. Serve his with spaghetti and garlic bread. 

My go to- roasted chicken- Chicken thighs with the skin work really well (can use pork) with roasted potatoes and veggies. Place everything on one pan and bake. I usually serve myself a larger portion of veggies (carrots, onions, brussel sprouts, asparagus..... the options are endless). 

Make a meatloaf, salad, veggies, and mashed potatoes (Japanese sweet potatoes are yummy with coconut milk and ghee). Shepard's pie topped with cauliflower or mashed potatoes. 

Or keep it simple- Make steak, spinach salad, asparagus, serve his with bread and garlic olive oil dipping, or baked potato. 

Hi All

WoW day 19 and going strong! Yesterday was an awesomely energetic day. I got home from work feeling lively and well - better then I've felt in a long time in the evening. Yay! Also feel quite perky this morning.

Yes, leaC, I will miss my bone broth - but still love my bacon. :) Anyone else taking advantage of the wonderful benefits of bone broth? It's an excellant source of potassium, magnesium, salt, fat, glysene, proline and amino acids.... I have to stick with plain jello for a few more weeks due to my SIBO, but after that's gone, I'm back to bone broth. 

Sarahek211 - To add to Carmen's wonderful suggestions - guys (and gals) like chicken wings. Easy, fast and fun! I make a sauce with olive oil, sage, rosemary, cinnamon, whatever spices you like (smoked paprika is also fab) sweetened with crushed or sliced apple. Toss everything and roast in oven at 350 for 40 - 50 mins or until wings are browned and tips are crisp. Be sure to turn them and stir them up in the aromatic apple and chicken juices after 20ish minutes of roasting. 

Also have to say, I see nothing wrong with noodifying zuccinni!! In fact, they are absolutely scrumptious as noodles, either raw with a bit of oil and vinegar, or lightly sauteed with your favorite sauce on the side. And they're really easy to noodify using the right tools such as a mandoline slicer. :)

Am thoroughly enjoying my meals: 

M1 - two fried eggs with bacon ends and pieces, 1/2 cup acorn squash and espresso with coconut oil (normally drink green tea during week, but am allowing for one day of espresso to see how my gut likes it).

M2 - sauteed cod in coconut oil and kale with 1/2 orange pepper, cup peppermint tea 

M3 - something light and tasty

Have a great day everyone, xob

• Administrators

Anyone else taking advantage of the wonderful benefits of bone broth

Also have to say, I see nothing wrong with noodifying zuccinni!! In fact, they are absolutely scrumptious as noodles, either raw with a bit of oil and vinegar, or lightly sauteed with your favorite sauce on the side. And they're really easy to noodify using the right tools such as a mandoline slicer. :)

I do half to a full litre of bone broth every day.  It's a pain in the ass to make it every week (more the cleaning up than the making, actually) but my hair, nails, skin, immune system have never been better.  

And I'm with you on the zoodles, absolutely nothing wrong with them, just another way to make a veggie side dish.  I agree with whomever said that grilled zucchini is delicious also but I wouldn't say that folks shouldn't zoodle a zuke just because they could grill it instead.  Two totally different applications.

Hello everyone !  Well, I'm not feeling it.  But to be fair, I am not on Day 18, since I started over, but am on Day 11 (oh, maybe that's why).  Yesterday I was so tired I was falling asleep at my desk, despite my good night's sleep the night before.  And my skin was looking pale and lifeless.  Now today I have more energy, but although I haven't been on the scale, I know I haven't lost any weight because my clothes are still the same.  I feel good about how I'm eating, and I'm sure my blood work would have my sugar levels at normal instead of the pre-diabetic numbers from before, and that is a huge win.  But I really want to lose weight !  I have all but cut out fruit - in fact, I think I will cut it out altogether because it always makes me feel bloated -- and I've cut way back on nuts -- only having them a few times a week.  Maybe it's the sweet potatoes ?  I eat them every day, and I'm not a crazy work out queen.  In fact, I sit at my desk most days, and am not getting to the gym like I'd like to due to schedules.  So, all that's left is meat, vegetables, and healthy fats.  I'm OK with that.  I love the mayonnaise I've made, and had tuna salad lettuce wraps for lunch along with a salad with my homemade Italian dressing.  I'm going to try keeping dinners super light, getting out for a walk after dinner, since it's still light outside, and just being patient.  My body has always been slower at losing weight, and i just have to wait until it finally realizes that this is how I'm going to eat, and it's going to have to burn stored fat for energy (hehe).  Hear that body ?  Listen up !  I have found my new way to eat for life !  Maybe not so strict,   but following the same principles as far as little or no ingredients, and making more things in the kitchen.  Now, I have GOT to get my family, especially kids, to eat this way.  I'm thinking it will help with my little one's attention problem.

I'm so glad to hear everyone is doing so well.  It's not easy, but it's fun !

• Administrators

Hello everyone !  Well, I'm not feeling it.  But to be fair, I am not on Day 18, since I started over, but am on Day 11 (oh, maybe that's why).  Yesterday I was so tired I was falling asleep at my desk, despite my good night's sleep the night before.  And my skin was looking pale and lifeless.  Now today I have more energy, but although I haven't been on the scale, I know I haven't lost any weight because my clothes are still the same.  I feel good about how I'm eating, and I'm sure my blood work would have my sugar levels at normal instead of the pre-diabetic numbers from before, and that is a huge win.  But I really want to lose weight !  

Hey Sunshine.  You've touched on what is probably the issue.  Your body, depending on what it is used to dealing with from you in the past, could be waiting until it is hormonally safe before dropping any weight.  Additionally, depending on how much healing is required internally, weight loss may not be a priority for your body at this exact moment.

I would encourage you to resist the urge to "keep dinners super light" as this harkens back to restriction and dieting that possibly got your body to the point that it's at.  Eat as per the template, trust your body to know what it needs to do.  It doesn't need your help in deciding how much it should need. If stabilizing blood sugars is what it's working on right now (and it sounds like that is pretty critical for you) then just let it be, keep feeding it to support the healing and have faith.  :)

Archived