STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

And I'm with you on the zoodles, absolutely nothing wrong with them, just another way to make a veggie side dish.  I agree with whomever said that grilled zucchini is delicious also but I wouldn't say that folks shouldn't zoodle a zuke just because they could grill it instead.  Two totally different applications.

I meant it partly as a joke. (I thought describing a food as "heresy" indicated humor, but I'm not exactly known for my communication skills.)  But every so often I'll "rediscover" thick-cut summer squash and kick myself for having let myself go so long without really appreciating it.  It's one thing in the summer, when I'm scrambling to find more and more recipes that will use it in some way before a huge pile of summer squash starts to go bad, but in the winter, it's so expensive, it seems like a shame to cover it up. 

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey 

I would encourage you to resist the urge to "keep dinners super light" as this harkens back to restriction and dieting that possibly got your body to the point that it's at.  Eat as per the template, trust your body to know what it needs to do.  It doesn't need your help in deciding how much it should need. If stabilizing blood sugars is what it's working on right now (and it sounds like that is pretty critical for you) then just let it be, keep feeding it to support the healing and have faith.   :)

I wholeheartedly agree actually - esp. to newcomers. I have been touting my light dinners but this is my second W30 and am learning how my own gut responds at this juncture. I think it's important to have three meals and listen to your body. :) 

WOW! I haven't checked in here since the beginning of March. I "knew" this board when it was a mere 5 pages! The energy is exciting. I started my first W30 mid-Feb and finished it the day after St. Paddy's. I'm continuing on for a little while before any reintroductions because I'm just feeling too good. All I can say to everyone is stick with it.It is SO worth it it so many ways and it just keeps getting better and better.

Good luck to you all, although luck has nothing to do with it.

• Administrators

Hey 

I wholeheartedly agree actually - esp. to newcomers. I have been touting my light dinners but this is my second W30 and am learning how my own gut responds at this juncture. I think it's important to have three meals and listen to your body. :)

Yep, bronnyd, thanks for pointing out that for some that have been at this for awhile, they eventually will learn themselves and may arrive at a place that does not look exactly like the Whole30 template.  Keeping any meal particularly small/light in an effort to make weight loss happen or make it happen faster is a recipe for disaster.  

Sarahek211 - To add to Carmen's wonderful suggestions - guys (and gals) like chicken wings. Easy, fast and fun! I make a sauce with olive oil, sage, rosemary, cinnamon, whatever spices you like (smoked paprika is also fab) sweetened with crushed or sliced apple. Toss everything and roast in oven at 350 for 40 - 50 mins or until wings are browned and tips are crisp. Be sure to turn them and stir them up in the aromatic apple and chicken juices after 20ish minutes of roasting. 

Also have to say, I see nothing wrong with noodifying zuccinni!! In fact, they are absolutely scrumptious as noodles, either raw with a bit of oil and vinegar, or lightly sauteed with your favorite sauce on the side. And they're really easy to noodify using the right tools such as a mandoline slicer. :)

Thank you bronnyd for the suggestions!! You know, chicken wings is not something I ever really liked, strangely... I'm a weirdo I guess. That does sound like an awesome sauce though, maybe I will use that with a different chicken part! 

Zoodles are also yummy! I'll have to decide if I prefer that or spaghetti squash, or just see what is available.

Edesia - so great to hear that you are feeling good! I'm hoping to go a bit more than 30 days this time as well.

Sunshinestate - good luck with your adjustments of the diet, it sounds like you're working on listening to what your body needs. I agree with the others' recommendations to not cut back on your dinner if you are hungry - your body is telling you what it needs, and being too restrictive has gotten me in trouble before. But it sounds like you're figuring it  out :)

Sarahek211 - To add to Carmen's wonderful suggestions - guys (and gals) like chicken wings. Easy, fast and fun! I make a sauce with olive oil, sage, rosemary, cinnamon, whatever spices you like (smoked paprika is also fab) sweetened with crushed or sliced apple. Toss everything and roast in oven at 350 for 40 - 50 mins or until wings are browned and tips are crisp. Be sure to turn them and stir them up in the aromatic apple and chicken juices after 20ish minutes of roasting. 

Sounds like a delicious recipe bronnyd, I must try it too!

Had annoying voices in my head tonight whilst driving home trying to convince me that it was time to throw in the towel! It's Friday night, I'm bored with the narrow selection of food groups & the endless cooking. It didn't take long for me to shake myself out of that state by remembering that in my previous life I didn't get anywhere by eating & drinking the way I had been...10 days to go!

Sounds like a delicious recipe bronnyd, I must try it too!

Had annoying voices in my head tonight whilst driving home trying to convince me that it was time to throw in the towel! It's Friday night, I'm bored with the narrow selection of food groups & the endless cooking. It didn't take long for me to shake myself out of that state by remembering that in my previous life I didn't get anywhere by eating & drinking the way I had been...10 days to go!

You CAN ARE doing this! Keep up the good work and way to fight those little voices. It's definitely not easy, but just think of how satisfied and proud you will be of yourself in 10 days. 

Today I encountered a challenge. We had a catered lunch at work. I knew in advance there wouldn't be much food compliant to eat. I packed lunch. At the time of the luncheon I wasn't hungry yet, so I ate a salad that they offered (san dressings). They also had fruit so I added a few pieces of the fruit to the salad to not make it dry. I was satisfied and wasn't sitting at the table empty plated. It wasn't until almost an hour after the luncheon that I was finally hungry. I ate my packed lunch and was satisfied. If I was hungry I wouldn't have minded bringing my lunch to the table.

Who's encountered this and what is your strategy? I definitely think that planning ahead is important, not just for the food, but psychology- being surrounded with brownies, cookies, cake, bread- going in with the mindset that I have a delicious meal waiting for me really helped. 

Happy First day of Spring and Day 20! 

Same here, Carmen! We had a meeting at work and then lunch after. Lunch was to mingle, share ideas. I however could not eat anything they had, save for the baby carrots so I went home (I live just four blocks away) and am now cooking up a nice lunch of sausage and kale with 1/2 orange pepper and some filberts. Then, back to woik.

If I had to stay at work for whatever reason, I would have done exactly what you did, which was pack my own lunch.  

YAY leaC for sticking with it! Only 10ish more days to go. Not long now. YES it is hard - but life is hard sometimes and it's how we meet up with the challenges that make us better people. :) And observing without judgment (and observing our judgments when they will and do crop up) how we default to "old" conditioned thoughts/feelings/behaviors. That's what I'm learning throughout this and other life experiences. 

Keep on everyone! xoxb

Morning! Thanks for the support Carmen and Bronny! I KNOW I can do this as I've done it before, but mentally I'm a lazy so and so. Will keep plodding along... ;)

Who's encountered this and what is your strategy? I definitely think that planning ahead is important, not just for the food, but psychology- being surrounded with brownies, cookies, cake, bread- going in with the mindset that I have a delicious meal waiting for me really helped.  

I would have definatley done the same thing Carmen ie: packed a reserve lunch in case there was nothing compliant to eat! When I'm not prepared and don't bring lunch to work, I go downstairs to the local noodle bar and order a clear soup with seafood and vegies - it does the trick! I always have nuts, zucchini rounds (pre packaged & compliant), and compliant date/nut bars (similar to a Lara Bar) on hand for those dangerous times. Preparation is key!

Today I stumbled upon a butcher who was promoting their grass fed meats. I ended up purchasing a bag of grass fed beef bones and am determined to make bone broth this weekend! I know how good it is for you, so fingers crossed I can pull it off! The last time I bought a bag of bones from the supermarket, I was dubious about the quality of bone and they ended up sititng in my fridge until such time as I wasn't even sure they would be fit for our dog - though she did get one before they were binned...such a waste!

It's a rainy autumn day here in Sydney so this weekend I vow to get creative (and organised) in the kitchen - Whole30 cook up time! xx    

Happy Day 21! I have a birthday party for a friend tonight. They are grilling, but I don't want to depend or risk having compliant food so I ate a late lunch. Went for a run today and felt great.

What's one change you've noticed? For me, not only is my energy is out of the roof, but my motivation to get things done has sparked.

Well I'm jealous.  That's exactly everything that HASN'T happened.  I can't even focus on a book, let alone get anything at all done. 

Hey Maggiedoll! It made me sad to hear your most definitive response ie: that you just aren't feeling it, and it got me thinking why this might be?

I'm not a moderator, so I have limited experience in Whole30's. I only have one complete one under my belt & the one we're all doing now.

I currently feel great ie: not foggy headed, quicker reflexes, feeling zippier, less bloated & some joint/inflamation relief (this is not to rub salt into your wound)...

However, I trawled back through my posts to Day 3 when I wanted to kill all things and had no idea why? Around Day 9 I also recall feeling somewhat 'down' and overwhelmed at the task ahead.

Sometimes I think we really need to listen to our bodies a bit harder because the negative voices in our head are so loud that's all we can hear. I know that when things are a bit tough at home and start getting me down, I forget all the positives that have occured by committing to this Whole30 journey. Mental strength plays as much a part in doing a W30 as the compliant eating (and exercise, which I'm terrible at)! 

I bet if you have been faitfhul to the plan (not eaten foods you aren't allowed, and tried to stick to 3 satisfying meals a day with the occasional snack if needed), that you would have noticed positive changes to your body. It would have been helpful if you had identified all the negatives before you started, then you would have something to refer back to eg: poor sleep, digestive issues, lack of energy, skin issues etc.

Would love to hear a bit more about how you to got to day 22 ie: if you have been compliant, and whether you're just letting the 'mental voices' speak louder than your 'body's voice'....

Much Love - :wub:

On another topic, when I was part of the Jan 1 W30 forum I raised this question and kirkor gave me the answer, but it still baffles me......

...Where is everybody? So many people posted leading up to and at the beginning of this March 1 thread, and soooo many people were asking for help, support - even buddies!

I HOPE these people are still reading our posts and find them helpful? If you are one of these people, PLEASE check in with us!

If our non-posting friends aren't even reading the posts, I wonder if they are still doing the W30 and if not, what happened?  When I asked this question in January, kirkor suggested that a lot of people start with loads of enthusiasm then feel guilty because they've given up early on and don't want to announce it to the world, they just cut ties with the W30 community.

Please check in guys and let us know why you're not posting - would make for even more interesting reading if you contributed! xx

I'm still here leaC but I know there are many more you're speaking of.  

Finishing up day 8 again after my restart.  Still not sleeping well, I'm waiting for that to kick in.  I fall asleep fine, but if I get up in the middle of the night I can't get back to sleep.  Trying to cut back on water after 6, but I find that I'm thirsty all the time.  

My clothes fit better, so I know things are shifting.  I'm not full of energy, but I'm not dragging like I did at the beginning.  I wish I looked better, but I've got huge bags under my eyes.  

Leaving the frozen northeast on April 6th for 4 days of sun in Florida.  Will be visiting my son and grandson.  That will be my final week of Whole30.  I think I'll be o.k. with meals.  I'm good about asking for what I need/don't need at restaurants.  

My plan is to just keep going when I'm done.  I need to get better about meal planning however.  My husband has been pretty much on his own this month, he has no interest in joining me.  So, I need to start preparing some meals that he would enjoy as well.

Maybe I'll make some bone broth tomorrow...

Great to hear from you janeroyal, although you have been a good contributor - yey! :D

I really get where you're coming from re: sleeping....if it makes you feel any better, I'm lucky to get 5-hours sleep a night (and that would be on a good night, broken down into 3 x 2 hour slumbers)! This has been going on since my early entry into 'that time in a woman's life' about 4 - 5 years ago.

In embarking on my W30 journey's this year, I was hoping for some improvement in the land of Zzzzzz's but nothing miraculous has occured. I am grateful that the abstanance from alcohol has given me better quality sleep, so I'm counting small blessings. I drink a LOT of fluids throughout the day, and there is not a night that goes by where I don't get up for a pee. I too am thirsty frequently and drink water right up until getting into bed. Thought it might be a sign of pre-diabetes, but that's not the case. Oh well, at least I know that if I get up once through the night, I will sleep better afterwards (and not be holding on till dawn)!!!

I'm making bone broth today too - can't wait to see the results and hear about yours!

Hello everyone...I am still here.I just have not had much time to post. I have been catching up with all the activity. My husband is out of the country, and my work load has doubled.

I see everyone is doing great!! A lot to be proud of, we knew this wasn't going to be easy. I have definitely noticed some positive changes. I am able to tame my hunger. I used to want to eat the house down, now I actually have to force 3 meals. I am finding by M3 I want to eat light as well. I haven't had a craving in sometime now. My skin is glowing and my energy has increased. My joints are still stiff, and I don't feel that I am getting any smaller.

However,I do belive my body has a lot of healing to do. I always have a hard time dropping weight, and I am sure my body will regulate itself. I do love not being addicted to the scale!! Yay.....my inner voice is saying ..don't eat so much protein, cut back the fat, blah,blah,blah. I am not listening! I really want to become smaller. Nothing works, and I want this to be the last thing I do. I can see eating like this a way of life. A healthy life for me.

Once the 30 days are over I plan on doing another 30 days. Now that my ski season has ended, I am starting a new workout plan. I want to see what another 30 days will do along with weight traing, cardio, and some yoga. I wish everyone a healthy night.....Debbie

Hi all! I am still here! I've been posting as regularly as possible though. I feel like I've had some of the improvements that you guys have had - better nails, psychologically feeling awesome about the food I'm eating, more sustained energy and motivation, better mood. I also feel like I'm not sure if I'm getting smaller, but I'm a healthy weight in general, just had gained a few in February when it was my birthday + went on vacation  :unsure: I'm just interested to see if I lost any weight or if my body changed at all (I took "before" pics) - trying to see this more as objective information rather than let it get at me if I end up NOT losing weight. There are so many other benefits that I am feeling right now!

Today I made almond milk for the first time, it was awesome and really easy. I used the pulp to make "granola" (basically just mixed with nuts/raisins and dried) and it was awesome. Lots more meal prep as well, and got a lot of sleep last night, which was much-needed. 

Happy Day 22 and almost final week everyone!

Hi Everyone, thanks for checking in!

I had a TERRIBLE night last night, not sure why? I got up for a wee at 4am, but when I got back to bed, terrible stomach cramps started. I was in and out of the bathroom for the next couple of hours (vomitting and diarrhea). The cramps lasted till around midday - and I stayed in bed as long! Had to wake up eldest son before school and ask him to help get his brother ready and drive him to school.

I have no idea where this virus came from, but it was hell. Didn't go to work today, I felt like I had a really bad hangover and ZERO energy....didn't eat, couldn't eat. Just had some water today (probably should have had more), 2 cups of licorice & peppermint tea & later a frozen banana, coconut water & Super Greens powder smoothie.

I can't work it out. Hubby has been eating the same as me, but he's fine??? I was thinking last night that our meal templates aren't quite perfect. Most of our meals are meat/protein, with either potato or sweet potato, complimented with other vegies, nuts - whatever. I worry we're eating too much meat (makes me feel ill thinking about it), but it fills us up! Will see how I feel tomorrow. I still haven't been able to make the bone broth - hope those bones don't go to waste - again!

Hello everyone...I am still here.I just have not had much time to post. I have been catching up with all the activity. My husband is out of the country, and my work load has doubled.
I see everyone is doing great!! A lot to be proud of, we knew this wasn't going to be easy. I have definitely noticed some positive changes. I am able to tame my hunger. I used to want to eat the house down, now I actually have to force 3 meals. I am finding by M3 I want to eat light as well. I haven't had a craving in sometime now. My skin is glowing and my energy has increased. My joints are still stiff, and I don't feel that I am getting any smaller.

However,I do belive my body has a lot of healing to do. I always have a hard time dropping weight, and I am sure my body will regulate itself. I do love not being addicted to the scale!! Yay.....my inner voice is saying ..don't eat so much protein, cut back the fat, blah,blah,blah. I am not listening! I really want to become smaller. Nothing works, and I want this to be the last thing I do. I can see eating like this a way of life. A healthy life for me.

Debbie/pyrotek, good on you for staying positive. If the only thing we learn from this is that we can increase our energy levels, that's a good thing!

Sarahek211, wow, I didn't really think about making granola for breakfast! I'm so over meat/eggs for brekky....must start googling, thanks!

• Administrators

Be careful with that granola, Leanne.....it's borderline SWYPO, never mind that it is just sugar and fat, not exactly ho wyou want to start your day. Sorry to be a bad news bear. ;)

Good morning everyone! Thanks for checking in and remember we are all here to support one another, no judgement zone. We're all here to encourage and support one another. Thanks everyone for the motivation and helping me stay focused.   :)

I didn't try any new recipes this week, I've noticed that I've stayed in my comfort zone. I really want to be more adventurous and try something new. (I feel a SMART goal forming). 

LeaC- Not sure if this is related to your GI issues, but there was a stomach bug going around. I had a few students and co-workers out from it. The granola looks yummy. 

Sarahek211 I'll have to try making almond milk sometime. I'm thinking of buying a big bag of almonds from BJ's (similar to costco/sams club). I know nuts can be expensive. Has anyone found a cheap site or store for nuts?

Checking in - thanks LeaC for the admonition :) At day 23 I've got the hang of this pretty well, the biggest challenge is the inconvenience of cooking and planning. My wife and I spent some time yesterday prepping for the week (making tomato sauce that we will use with ground beef and spaghetti squash and then again for stuffed bell peppers), making a bunch of tuna cakes for the week's lunches. I feel more involved with my food than ever before and thus more of a sense of ownership regarding the food I eat. It's not just gatekeeping what goes in my mouth. The planning, shopping and preparing make me want to eat what I've committed to rather than simply eating what's convenient. I feel like I'm becoming more of a foodie because of the W30.

As far as benefits, the energy has come and gone, but I feel overall an increase of my baseline. I know we aren't supposed to weigh in, but I had a doctor's appt. last Monday and I've dropped 6 lbs from March 1st - all without counting calories or feeling like I'm missing out. Thanks W30 :)

Sarahek211 - we buy nuts and meat from Costco. 

LeaC - Just FYI on your husband's migraines; my wife suffered terrible migraines for years, but two years ago she cut out gluten from her diet and the migraines almost disappeared (from once a month to once a year).  It has been a huge positive in her life and that experiment caused us to consider the claims of a paleo diet with more seriousness than we would have before.

Sarahek211 I'll have to try making almond milk sometime. I'm thinking of buying a big bag of almonds from BJ's (similar to costco/sams club). I know nuts can be expensive. Has anyone found a cheap site or store for nuts?

I like to get nuts at Trader Joe's or in the bins at Whole Foods or Sprouts. Nowhere are they super cheap, but I find those have pretty decent prices. And I do like SamWheat's suggestion of Costco!

Be careful with that granola, Leanne.....it's borderline SWYPO, never mind that it is just sugar and fat, not exactly ho wyou want to start your day. Sorry to be a bad news bear. ;)

LeaC - I thought about what ladyshanny said regarding SWYPO for granola. I mean, I agree about the borderline SWYPO, but since it was a great way to re-use my almond pulp that I had from making almond milk, I went ahead anyway. I don't intend to eat it as a meal on it's own. For instance, I had a little in a small bowl with the homemade almond milk, aside a large salad (spinach, kraut, beets, vinaigrette) with crab cakes for lunch yesterday. Overall it was very filling! For a breakfast, I might have the granola on the side of eggs or sausage with greens and peppers. I hope that's acceptable :) So maybe that is something you could do to mix up your meals - make it, but include some protein/veggies with it! :)

Archived