STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

Carmen, would you share the recipe for the chocolate chili?

-----------

And Hi All, I'm a food-hobbiest with a several months of bad habbits (ok years, but since november it's been real bad). I started on Friday and so far so good. I'm joining your forum for that extra kick of encouragement. And recipes - send along the recipes!

My story: About three years ago, I read Robb Wolf's book about Paleo eating. While, I don't buy into the cavemen explanation, the concept of real food, not processed food, was spot on for me. I managed to drop my cholesterol - which was boarderline high - down by 36 points into the normal/healthy range. I also droped a couple pants sizes and bra sizes (perhaps the greatest part of the whole lifestyle change!).

Then I had loads of stresses handed to me last year and got way too small - to the point where everybody I saw had to say something uncomplimentary with concern about if I was sick. Then I reverted and started eating dairy again, which devolved into ice cream for dinner most of last summer  (which I could do regularly). I managed to break the ice cream dinner habit but might have a glass of wine or beer with dinner instead. And the microwave single sized "paleo" cup-cakes - oh the cupcakes... Top that with holidays, travel, and more stress... my clothes don't fit and I feel like crap and there is no desire to go to the gym. Ah!

On Wednesday last week, I reached a breaking point and decided things needed to change. I flew home Thursday after two weeks of delicious Texas BBQ, Mexican food, and Margaritas. I began the Whole30 on Friday, ready to do this.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was so excited to start today and now that today is here I'm nervous! I'm going grocery shopping today but I'm so nervous about getting everything and making sure everything is compliant. I realize that it's all in label reading but I can just picture myself standing in the aisles staring at labels!

I was so excited to start today and now that today is here I'm nervous! I'm going grocery shopping today but I'm so nervous about getting everything and making sure everything is compliant. I realize that it's all in label reading but I can just picture myself standing in the aisles staring at labels!

Did you print out one of the shopping guides? Most of the things on those list are whole foods with no ingredients, so you'll breeze through those... That changes with the fat options like oils and nuts to an extent.

Make the rest a scavenger hunt, and it becomes somewhat fun. Pick up spices (but be sure to read any premixes because they often include things like corn starch or soy). Where I spent the most time was with the condiments and 'prepared' foods like sausage. I spent an hour in a Trader Joes and walked out with yellow mustard, olive tapenade, artichoke hearts, and capers. The apple chicken sausages are also sugar free and comply. Their raw nuts all comply too. They were out of coconut oil - don't buy the spray, it doesn't comply. Alas, none of their bacons comply either...

Good luck and happy shopping!

Afternoon from England! It's been sunny one minute and raining the next!

I have had a great day so far. I made Cashew Nut Milk and Mayo this morning from Well Fed and have Pork Balls with chorizo spices in the oven and a Sausage Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust (from Against All Grain) waiting to be cooked.

Meal 1 was Wilted Kale and portabello mushrooms with 2 poached eggs

Meal 2 was a salad with mixed leaves, beets, roasted bell peppers, smoked salmon and olives with mayo

Meal 3 will be baked sweet potato, bacon roasted brussel sprouts and guacamole. Yummy !!!!

I also did a 30 minute bicycle ride on my new birthday bike, gosh it was tough, but then I am very overweight!!!!!

Did you print out one of the shopping guides? Most of the things on those list are whole foods with no ingredients, so you'll breeze through those... That changes with the fat options like oils and nuts to an extent.

Make the rest a scavenger hunt, and it becomes somewhat fun.

I did print out the sheets and they were very helpful. Ended up having to make two stops to get some of the more unique items but found everything I was looking for! It did help making it sort of a scavenger hunt - but I ended up cheating once to ask where I could find ghee. I never would have found it otherwise!

1st day went good for me. I did however lick a dab of sour cream off of my hand when I was making dinner for the rest of my family, opps. I am excited to start seeing results in the next week. Besides the prep work, it's really not hard to eat such satisfying food:)

Day 1 is coming to an end. I woke this morning with a feeling of panic a what am I supposed to eat for breakfast panic. You see I only decided yesterday to do a whole 30 so did no prep at all. I was also working an 8 hour shift from 12.30 so needed to get my act together. I made a turkey, sweet potato and apple hash with 2 eggs stirred through it and it was delicious. Meal 2 was chicken, salad, with lemon juice and olive oil and meal 3 the same as breakfast but with fried eggs. I also had fruit salad with coconut milk and almonds. I feel satisfied and going to bed content.

I feel much happier as for the last 12 weeks I have been following a plan by a bikini coach and I was miserable. The plan was basically grilled protein, veg and rice/pasta 6 times a day. I was bored, unsatisfied and felt inadequate because I was finding it so difficult. I also lost no weight at all as I kept cheating and I payed £200 for the priviledge. I will prep food tomorrow so i have more variety . Here's to a great day 2.

• Administrators

Afternoon from England! It's been sunny one minute and raining the next!

I have had a great day so far. I made Cashew Nut Milk and Mayo this morning from Well Fed and have Pork Balls with chorizo spices in the oven and a Sausage Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust (from Against All Grain) waiting to be cooked.

Meal 1 was Wilted Kale and portabello mushrooms with 2 poached eggs

Meal 2 was a salad with mixed leaves, beets, roasted bell peppers, smoked salmon and olives with mayo

Meal 3 will be baked sweet potato, bacon roasted brussel sprouts and guacamole. Yummy !!!!

I also did a 30 minute bicycle ride on my new birthday bike, gosh it was tough, but then I am very overweight!!!!!

Hi Sandy, you probably need to figuyre something out for protein in your Meal 3. If you haven't already, check out our Meal Planning template that shows our recommendations for achieving optimal results as you go. Protein, veggies and fat with every meal in template portions are your best friends! :)

Done with day 1 as well!  My meals aren't as intricate as others, but I figure I'm still getting used to this.

M1 - egg omelet with almonds, cauliflower, peach/passionfruit tea

M2 - Monkey Salad (banana, cashews, coconut flakes), scrambled eggs, water (just realized I needed a veggie...)

M3 - Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup, water, frozen blueberries

I pre-made almost all my meals this week which feels amazing!

I had a lot of personal wins today including realizing I don't mind coconut all that much, sweet potatoes are awesome, and I feel full between meals!  After lunch while I was working on pre-making meals, my husband came in and grabbed himself a snack of hummus and pita chips.  I smiled to myself for two reasons: one, he could have chosen a much worse snack and that's one thing I was worried about, and two, food hadn't even crossed my mind even though I was working with it!

Great job everyone on completing day 1!

Hello All! Happy Day One!

OMG was I tempted to shove day one on the back burner and start tomorrow - even though I spent yesterday prepping W30 meals like roasted chicken and roasted eggplant and roasted radishes. I have bacon and sausage in the fridge and even made a spontaneous bone broth out of the chicken fat/bones and a couple of frozen marrow bones found in the freezer.

Enter my cousin, P, who came to town yest. We hung out and had a great time recording a song he put together, talking music and going out to eat a great dinner that was fully compliant but for that glass of red wine. That was last night before day one.

Today we went out to breaky and GODDESS I wanted to eat my toast so bad. And also order the fried potatoes - but it just seemed too much to ask them to fry them in only coconut or olive oil.

I ate a fully compliant breakfast - two fried eggs, sunnyside up, no butter, bacon and a fruit cup out of which I ate just the strawberry, a bite of pineapple and one grape. And the espresso was really yummy (I am not supposed to be drinking coffee but for one day out of the week now I allow).

Also, it's so beautifully sunny today, I was really tempted to get an ice cream cone. Like a BAD, diabolical temptation. BAD for SIBO, BAD for W30 - and even P said, "First day in and you're thinking of blowing it...". He's usually the one to say "I want ice cream!"

As a matter of fact, we went to Powells Books and MY CUZ bought It Starts With Food!!

I've been sortof raving about my experience/discoveries with my SIBO and W30. I originally told him about it because he told me his wife, D, was having health issues ... the book just popped into my head. I would LOVE to see them both try a W30 - HEY P & D! You can start anytime this month and share your experience on this forum. :)

M2 was jello, chicken and fried radishes wrapped in three beautiful steamed collard leaves with just a touch of bacon pieces.

M3 cup-o-bone broth with a small amount of chicken and handful filberts. 

So maybe I'll have some family in on this too, sunsoakeddreamer! But no expectations. I'm letting go of the outcome, which is out of my hands anyhow. 

Day ONE in the bag! 

Well....we are off! Day 1 complete and feeling srtong. I went skiing all weekend and worked up some appetite.

M1....eggs with tomatoes and spinach, coffee with coconut milk.

M2....huge salad with sliced steak and a banana.

M3....ground turkey with mushroom, onions and spinach.

It is snowing very heavy so I will sleep wrll. Have a great night.

So day 1 is underway.  I'm actually starting day 8 today, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.  I made some mayonnaise yesterday, and am still contemplating making a batch of clarified butter, but as of yet, I haven't seen a need for it other than to add some fat to my diet.  

M1 today - two scrambled eggs with green and red peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil, 2 pieces of turkey bacon

M2 salad, with lettuce, tomatoes, oil and vinegar dressing, a hard boiled egg, some tuna (with my new mayo!) and a sweet potato sprinkled with cinnamon, and strawberries.

M3 - still up in the air, but I have some chicken thawing in the fridge, and have plenty of broccoli to steam.  Still feeling tired, but that's normal for day 8.  I am so looking forward to this burst of energy, and the pants getting looser.  Oh, I did have one sip of wine at church, but I'm thinking I won't need to start over.  I'm chalking it up to religious freedom! 

Have a great day everyone !!

I am starting this week, too! Had hoped to start 3/1 but boy did February end quickly. I was hoping someone might have some pre-planned recipes/meal plans for the week. I work 50+ hours and am on the go 24/7 so I have to do my cooking a head of time. Also, affordable foods is a big deal for me. I might work the big hours but I don't (yet) make the big bucks. Anyone have any resources for meal planning but one that is super affordable? Thanks! 

Here's a popular chocolate chili recipe from Well Fed (Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are cookbooks used by many Whole30ers).http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

That chili is AMAZING! I've made it a few times. Yum.

Hi everyone! Day 2! I took some "before" pictures yesterday, and weighed myself for a starting point - I was not surprised to see that I had gained a few in February. I'm really needing this mental and physical reset, and I'm looking forward to seeing if anything has changed in terms of the pictures or the weight after my Whole30/45.

My goal for this Whole30 is to really try to kick my sweet tooth. As I was advised, I'm trying to eat less "treats" even if those dessert-like items are Whole30 compliant, like dried fruit. I'm also trying to figure out how to stick with Paleo/Whole30 while adequately fueling up for running. My running really suffered during my first Whole30, but maybe I wasn't eating enough starchy vegetables during my first one, and didn't give my body enough time to adjust to the new dietary changes before going back to grains.

I also have a recommendation for everyone - I recently bought the Mediterranean Paleo Cooking cookbook after going to a book signing locally with the authors. This cookbook is fantastic, and has a ton of recipes that are compliant for Whole30. Many are pretty easy as well, putting meat, veggies, and broth in the pot and leaving it to simmer for awhile. This weekend, I made crab cakes, lemon chicken tajine, and cauliflower "hummus" from there and all were excellent :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

I started March 1st also. Alaska.

I was skeptical when my friend who has been doing W30 said she keeps 5 dozen eggs in her fridge. I only got two dozen and with me and my son both doing this... I should have gone with 5!

I'm a ketchup-aholic. Anyone have a good recipe?

Day 1 done, but I'm struggling to find breakfast ideas.  I guess it's true that it's hard to kick old habits and the idea of "breakfast food".  I think I'm going to start addressing breakfast the night before and keep appealing left overs to put on my breakfast plate.  That'll save prep in the morning too.  The one thing I really dislike about alot of the recipes for the plan are the ridiculous amounts of different spices required.  I like my food spicy and tasty, as all of us do, but when a recipe calls for endless different spices, the hassle factor really goes up!

I am starting this week, too! Had hoped to start 3/1 but boy did February end quickly. I was hoping someone might have some pre-planned recipes/meal plans for the week. I work 50+ hours and am on the go 24/7 so I have to do my cooking a head of time. Also, affordable foods is a big deal for me. I might work the big hours but I don't (yet) make the big bucks. Anyone have any resources for meal planning but one that is super affordable? Thanks! 

The crock pot could be your lifesaver this month.  I did a search on pinterest for W30 meals last month and there was a post about W30 compliant freezer meals.  

I started today, March 2nd!  I am super excited, but very nervous. So far this is what I have eaten for my first 2 meals:

1st - 3 eggs with spinach and red peppers sauteed with coconut oil. 

2nd - roasted chicken with a salad and handful of almonds

I didn't prep, just going cold turkey. I am sure I will regret that very soon!

• Administrators

I started today, March 2nd!  I am super excited, but very nervous. So far this is what I have eaten for my first 2 meals:

1st - 3 eggs with spinach and red peppers sauteed with coconut oil. 

2nd - roasted chicken with a salad and handful of almonds

I didn't prep, just going cold turkey. I am sure I will regret that very soon!

Congrats on Day 1!  Make sure you eat enough at your meals.  Salad, although it can look like a lot, is pretty "fluffed up" and once consumed basically turns to nothing in your stomach.  If you're going to do salad alone you need to be eating an immense amount of it.  We recommend adding some cooked veggies to that salad to make sure your meals will keep you for 4-5 hours.  :)

Hello all!

My family and I started the program yesterday. I found out about whole 30 through a friend on FB and it all snowballed from there...my hubby stopped by a bookstore and bought me the book to read. 

My kids aged 10-15 (4 kids in total) half are on board and half are struggling. My hubby is very enthusiastic and has been cheering me on. 

Today was tough. I wanted to keep yesterday as a prep day for this week and was out all day....that made breakfast and lunch stressful. 

I am new to this, this is my first attempt, and I hope to stick through.....I have health issues that I'm hoping will get better (or go away). 

Hi,

I started my first Whole 30 on Feb. 16, so I'm beginning the third week today. All I can say is I have never felt as good as I'm feeling right now...high energy, no brain fog, no food or drink cravings (totally unlike me), and most aches and pains gone. I can't wait to see what else is in store. Obviously, I'm no expert and still learning, but being prepared and having the right ingredients on hand has been key.

I don't have much cooking time during the week because of my work schedule, so I do most of my cooking on the weekend. As a timesaver for breakfast, I've been making a large frittata (eggs + lots of vegs) which will last four days. I just heat up a serving in the morning along with a healthy fat, like avocado. Nothing to think about and no fuss.

I've already gotten some great ideas from the posts on this thread. Good luck to us all!

Archived