STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

Wow Edesia !  You're an inspiration to us all !!  I am waiting for that "feeling", and know I have it to look forward to.  (To which to look forward?)

Creative over the weekend.  We were at a church retreat for my son making his first communion, and they served lunch.  My daughter is a vegetarian (for Lent), so we each took a sandwich, she gave me her meat and I gave her my cheese.  She had a cheese sandwich, I had some lunch meat and tomatoes and fruit, and gave my son my extra bread.  Everyone was happy!

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey All

I feel like I'm losing already. Second day and my yoga clothes are definitely looking better on me. :) My meals are/will be as follows:

M1 Three eggs (feel like a glutton eating that many - going back to two), bacon and kale. Cup bone broth.

M2 Three stuffed minipeppers with chicken, bacon, kale and W30mayo YUM! and handful filberts

M3 Bringing to work - collard green wraps - steam collard greens, wrap chick/sausage/filbert/mayo 

When I get home from work, I will have some jello and bone broth.

Also woke up with leg cramps this morning. Nooooo Fuuuuunnn! Also craving chocolate big time and discovered in doing a bit of research that Magnesium deficiency is culprit for both cramps and chocolate cravings (cacc). My SIBO belly isn't absorbing mag very well so I bought supps - ings are 1000 mgs mag (as citrate/oxide), cellulose, gelatin, silica. Hope those are all W30 compliant! I took some with my lunch. Hopefully my cacc will shrink and cease and desist.

Pyrotech, I love and miss snow! Want to go cross country skiing before snow melts in mntns!  

Lauryn001 This site has tons of recipes. Some easy and inexpensive ideas: roasted chicken, eggplant, yams, radishes, roots, just about anything roasted is easy and not too pricey.

• Administrators

Also woke up with leg cramps this morning. Nooooo Fuuuuunnn! Also craving chocolate big time and discovered in doing a bit of research that Magnesium deficiency is culprit for both cramps and chocolate cravings (cacc). My SIBO belly isn't absorbing mag very well so I bought supps - ings are 1000 mgs mag (as citrate/oxide), cellulose, gelatin, silica. Hope those are all W30 compliant! I took some with my lunch. Hopefully my cacc will shrink and cease and desist.

Have you tried soaking in an epsom salt bath? Then your skin absorbs the magnesium without any of the digestive effects.  You can also find magnesium oil that you can rub onto soft skin like the sides of your torso or underside of your arms, backs of knees etc.

Hey all-- After successfully completing my first Whole30 this January (psst hi Bronny and LeaC), I'm ready to give it another go- this time with my husband, MIL, SIL, and BIL on board! We wont be starting until the 9th, as we all need more time to prep, hope you don't mind if I chatter in here! Haven't found any other March 9th starters yet.

This time around I'm hoping to streamline my cooking, better utilize prep time and time saving methods (I only used the crockpot once in January!), and try out some more recipes. I've also found some great local resources so I'm hoping to source most of our meat locally.

The hardest part-- no beer for St. Paddy's day!

Bronny, good on you for inspiring your fam, and good on them for helping you through day 1!

Question for the mods- or whoever else can help me here: I'm concerned with my fats as during my last whole30 I had issues with clarified butter and with avocado, and I'm allergic to nuts and have yet to find compliant bacon. That leaves me with sunflower seeds & sunbutter, olives & olive oil, coconut & coconut oil. Any other sources I'm missing? Of course I eat lots of whole eggs and some fatty meats but I need something to add to those lean meat meals to help fill me up.

• Administrators

Bronny, good on you for inspiring your fam, and good on them for helping you through day 1!

Question for the mods- or whoever else can help me here: I'm concerned with my fats as during my last whole30 I had issues with clarified butter and with avocado, and I'm allergic to nuts and have yet to find compliant bacon. That leaves me with sunflower seeds & sunbutter, olives & olive oil, coconut & coconut oil. Any other sources I'm missing? Of course I eat lots of whole eggs and some fatty meats but I need something to add to those lean meat meals to help fill me up.

Duck fat? Lard? Tallow? 

Hi, pleased to have found a thread about people starting in March! I started on the 1st March and am now on Day 3.

Feeling a bit foggy, but otherwise so full after my meals which is great. Even managed to do baking for the kids shared morning tea and didn't eat any.

Day two ending. So far I've had skillet eggs for breakfast both days with slightly different vegetables, and today's also had some salmon left over from last night.

Huge salads for lunch both days, both with hard boiled eggs, today's with the rest of the leftover salmon that I didn't finish off at breakfast, as well as leftover veggies from last night.

Day 1 dinner was salmon (which I always do on Sunday anyway) with roasted beets and carrots, and roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Today's dinner was sauteed beef and snow peapods over spaghetti squash.

I've added avocado to pretty much everything, I love avocado.

I also had a handful of hazelnuts before my run today, and some fruit after dinner both days. (Grapes and a kiwi.)

There was also a pear.. half at breakfast and half at lunch, I think.

I've been browsing lots of recipes, but I tend to just pick spices on the fly. Ginger, mustard seed, garlic and a bit of cayenne on the beef. Lime juice, cilantro, and a compliant southwestern seasoning blend on the salmon.

I never manage to just follow a recipe, just take the idea and toss on whatever seems appealing.

I am already noticing a pattern of eating too many raw cruciferous vegetables. Cabbage is just so darn convenient for a salad, and spinach balances it out so well, and right there, I've already gone overboard. And so easy to add into almost anything. Kale at least I'm more likely to cook, I make the skillet eggs with it. (Do other people have this problem, or am I the only one who has a problem making sure not to eat too many raw cruciferous veggies? Not exactly something normal people talk about, like "oh gee, I know i should cut back, but I just needed that extra raw cabbage!") I haven't noticed people around here mentioning it, but how can you not have to make a conscious effort to limit them? Salads are such a go-to when you're eating vegetables and need a break from cooking.

I'm definitely having some full-but-not-satisfied feelings. Not sure if I'm eating too many non-starchy vegetables, or if its just sugar withdrawl. I had been in the habit of eating a whole lot of sugar.

I'm not even really sure how much of my sugar cravings are cravings and how much it's just habit to reach for something sweet.

I'm definitely having some full-but-not-satisfied feelings. Not sure if I'm eating too many non-starchy vegetables, or if its just sugar withdrawl. I had been in the habit of eating a whole lot of sugar.

I'm not even really sure how much of my sugar cravings are cravings and how much it's just habit to reach for something sweet.

I'm feeling the same way and I'm not sure why either!  If anyone has some advice, that would be awesome.

Day 2 is done and it got harder to turn down sugary foods.

M1 - Sausage, broccoli, and egg muffins (2), sugar snap peas, pomegranate raspberry green tea

M2 - Leftover Beef and Vegetable soup, banana with coconut milk, water

M3 - Golden Cauliflower soup, chicken with salt, pepper, and cinnamon, water

I have never thought of putting cinnamon on chicken, but I highly recommend it!  The cinnamon was amazing on the chicken and really helped by giving me a little sweetness.

My personal win today happened tonight when I was at a training for work.  It was someone's birthday so they brought in cupcakes.  The tray was passed around twice and I passed on both times!  It was very difficult since I love cupcakes with icing.  I keep telling myself that I set a goal and I want to show myself I can stick with it.  I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas and recipes on this forum.  Its so helpful!

I am so happy I found this thread! I have just started my second W30 and actually wish I had just stayed the course after my first W30 and had become Whole4Ever (W4E ). The moment I ate a teeny piece of gluten free bread, a few weeks after my first W30, I lost control and have been eating gluten, simple carbs and sugars again. I'm feeling like an out of shape, exhausted, bad-skinned, insomniac again and I hate it.

The first round of W30 was terrific! I lost 12 inches, slept better, had fabulous energy, rosacea cleared up, inflammation in my joints went away, and I lost about 15 pounds. There were so many more benefits, but I'm telling you, that bread just crept back into my life and is like a drug. Anyone else have that problem?

Good luck to all on this month of March Whole30. Is this what real March Madness is?

• Moderators

I am starting this week, too! Had hoped to start 3/1 but boy did February end quickly. I was hoping someone might have some pre-planned recipes/meal plans for the week. I work 50+ hours and am on the go 24/7 so I have to do my cooking a head of time. Also, affordable foods is a big deal for me. I might work the big hours but I don't (yet) make the big bucks. Anyone have any resources for meal planning but one that is super affordable? Thanks! 

Have you checked out the weekly cookup idea as described on The Clothes Make The Girl?  She also has a few weekly meal plans like this one that include shopping lists and instructions for specific recipes, but you could apply the basic concept to whatever foods you want to make.

Day 1 done, but I'm struggling to find breakfast ideas.  I guess it's true that it's hard to kick old habits and the idea of "breakfast food".  I think I'm going to start addressing breakfast the night before and keep appealing left overs to put on my breakfast plate.  That'll save prep in the morning too.  The one thing I really dislike about alot of the recipes for the plan are the ridiculous amounts of different spices required.  I like my food spicy and tasty, as all of us do, but when a recipe calls for endless different spices, the hassle factor really goes up!

Leftovers are great for breakfast -- or find some crockpot recipes that you can put in to cook when you go to bed and wake up to hot food (and probably leftovers for other meals later). 

As far as the spices in recipes, you don't have to use those recipes. Sometimes it's nice to make something new and different, but it's absolutely acceptable to brown a bunch of ground beef with just simple seasonings (I like salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder), or roast a whole chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon, and garlic (or whatever you normally put on your chicken).  And a lot of times, if there's a whole long list of spices and you have most of them, you can just leave out the ones you don't have and it'll be fine.   (I will say, though, if you're anywhere near a spice store, it's fun to go and smell the different spices and try to decide what they'd taste good in. It can be a little hard on the pocketbook, though.  :blink:)

Day 3 it is guys and it is going very well so far. I just had my breakfast.

I ate all my meals yesterday and so far I have absolutely no complaints. There is one thing that I have noticed though, I have been getting very thirsty since I started the whole30, yesterday I drank a little over 4.5litres of water. Is that normal?

I am blogging and vlogging my journey. If you are interested in seeing I am doing check it out here:

Day 2 blog: http://cebokazi.blogspot.com/2015/03/whole30-day-2.html

Day 2 Vlog:  http://youtu.be/r9hDioSQngc

So far on day 3 I have had breakfast : Wors/sausage with a salad

Day 2:

Meal 1: baked shoestring sweet potatoes topped with sautéed greens, pulled pork, compliant sweet Harissa pepper spread, and two fried eggs. MAJOR Yum!

Meal 2: zucchini noodles with jarred compliant marinara sauce doctored with veggies and grass fed ground beef.

Meal 3 (eaten while on my feet at work, was more like a big snack): compliant roast beef, avocado, and carrots/sugar snap peas dipped in baba ganoush.

Meal 4 (eaten about 3.5 hours later after I got home from work, again more of a large snack): chicken breast mixed with homemade pesto and a chopped tomato.

Feeling great, not too foggy, and ready for day 3. :)

Hi Everyone, end of Day 3 for me!

I didn't get a chance to check in yesterday - crazy busy! Can I say that yesterday morning I felt like I was already at "Kill All Things"! Not sure what happend but I had NO patience in the morning and thankfully the day got better and I made it to Day 3.

Have just caught up on all the posts, sounds like everyone is crying out for meal planning tips and recipes!

One thing I've found really helpful is to cook up extra for dinner and have that for lunch the next day. Also, if I cook up extra sweet potato hash at dinner, I can just add that to bacon & eggs or sausage and eggs in the morning. You don't have to have a complete new meal each time you eat! I have learnt to let go and just be happy that half my meal is already done. :rolleyes:

Hello All! Happy Day One!

even made a spontaneous bone broth out of the chicken fat/bones and a couple of frozen marrow bones found in the freezer.

Hey Bronny, welcome back! What does a bone broth of combined chicken and beef (assuming the marrow is beef?) taste like?

Sorry I don't have much to report folks, It's been a loooong day!

Day 2 was extremely rough for me.

I work 3rd shift and at the end of day one was mandated to work an extra 2 hrs for the first time ever. I knew this would really mess me up as it would leave me only 6 hrs max to sleep.

I woke up in the afternoon day 2 with the expected headache. Had a ton of trouble trying to eat breakfast. Pushed myself through but basically are mostly banana and egg.

My husband left for work and everything just went down hill. I had the migraine of the century and felt too ill to eat. I could barely stand or open my eyes the pain was so severe. Anytime I stood too long I threw up. I finally got to go to bed at midnight after my 4 kids all had settled to bed finally.

Here I am not even 6 hrs later having trouble sleeping. Of course im normally just getting off work. I was too ill to stay up though. I have a slight headache but hope I can get up and eat a full breakfast and rehydrate and feel better for day 3!

Hi all. Im Debs, a New Zealander who has recently moved to Brisbane Australia to live.

Im on the evening of Day 3. I feel nothing. I feel exactly the same as before I gave up my treats. What about the headaches and hungover feelings I read about??

Hi everyone day 3 just beginning for me still compliant but I will be honest wondering why the hell I am doing this. Woke this morning and really wanted museli and Greek yoghurt I didn't though I had my hash instead. Took the kids to school then dog for a walk and gave myself a good talking to.

Yesterday was a stressful day, the puppy was so badly behaved. We also had my sons review of his special needs at school and they are struggling with him and think he would be better placed in a special school, we have fought so hard to keep the boys in mainstream school this was devastating news.

Things improved when I went to dancing as we had a costume fitting for the show and I love all my costumes and look good in them. It was also frustrating though as it is 5 weeks till showtime and I am still struggling with the dances.

Food yesterday was meal 1 Turkey, sweet potato and apple hash with 2 eggs.

Snack (I was so hungry) compliant fruit and nut bar and Turkey jerky.

Meal 2 lamb chilli with baked sweet potato, spinach and asparagus.

Meal 3 steak, salad, sweet potato and homemade Mayo.

I was hungry after dance class but couldn't think of anything suitable to eat I really struggle with post workout (I miss my protein shakes). Hope today gets better. Glad everyone else is doing well.

Confession -- I make my daughter's birthday cake yesterday, Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting.  I had never made cream cheese frosting before, so I tasted the tiniest bit to see how it tasted, as I won't be eating any of the cake later today.  Should I start over with day 1?  I started last Monday, so this would be day 9 for me, but I was planning on staying on it until April 3rd anyway when we have a camping weekend.  Thoughts ??

joybedford -- I know what you are saying about your son in school.  My son has high functioning autism, and was always in a regular classroom when we lived in Pennsylvania, but he had an aide with him.  Now in Florida, they don't allow that, so we tried him in our neighborhood school, which is supposed to be top rated.  I wanted him to have the benefit of the regular classroom with "regular" kids.  But they moved so fast for him,and he was often frustrated, not to mention the piles of homework he got every night (he's in 2nd grade !), so we just moved him to a self contained academic classroom in a different school.  It's only been a few days, but we can already see the difference in him.  They work much slower, and he is less stressed.  We are just trying it out for a few weeks to see if he improves.  Not all the kids in the class have autism -- just learning problems -- so I don't feel like it is a special school.  And the curriculum is the same.  Does your son's school have a class like that?

Sorry to get off topic, but I too have a special needs son, and am aware of the struggles that entails.  I am available to talk anytime.

So, please let me know if I should consider this day 1, or day 9???  I'm fine either way, but would like your opinions.  It was just a lick off the spoon :).

Sunshinestate24 thankyou for replying. Piers has a learning support assistant in the morning but not in the afternoon. He has ADHD and asperger syndrome he was doing really well in school he was a year behind his twin sister but doing well in that class. He was taking Concerta 36mg (a brand of ritalin) and this controlled his hyperactivity and ipulsivity but also drastically reduced his appetite at 10 years old he only weighed 49lbs and had classic failure to thrive. His medication was changed to a lower dose of ritalin (equasym 20mg) and he started to eat and has gained 10lb. That's all good but his behaviour is worse than ever. He has no self control and is aggressive and rude, as well as being challenging this is extremely sad as the old piers was polite, funny and loving. Worse still is he is aware of the change in him and has withdrawn himself from contact with anyone for fear of being aggressive and he wishes he hadn't been born. He also frequently self harms. I have considered changing his diet to a paleo diet but my husband flatly refused to entertain it he is very against it you see, he doesn't even know I am doing a whole 30. He is very much a believer in the standard diet. I too am sorry to get of topic.

Hello my fellow Whole 30er's!

I started March 1. So far, so good. I work out in the morning before work, so my breakfasts are pretty heavy. However, I feel like my workout today was impossible. I'm really bloated and feel like I'm gaining weight. I'm used to feeling thinner when I wake up, but feel much heavier than I'm used to. Is this normal? Anyone else feel the same?

pre-workout: some nuts, almond butter and coffee w/ coconut milk.

meal 1 (post workout): sweet potato egg bake with ground beef, coconut flakes, banana and cashews

meal 2: spaghetti squash, chicken, peppers and pesto

meal 3: pork tenderloin, roasted apples & buttnernut squash, guac and a small apple.

Am I eating too much? HELP!

Is this too much food?

• Administrators

Sunshinestate24 thankyou for replying. Piers has a learning support assistant in the morning but not in the afternoon. He has ADHD and asperger syndrome he was doing really well in school he was a year behind his twin sister but doing well in that class. He was taking Concerta 36mg (a brand of ritalin) and this controlled his hyperactivity and ipulsivity but also drastically reduced his appetite at 10 years old he only weighed 49lbs and had classic failure to thrive. His medication was changed to a lower dose of ritalin (equasym 20mg) and he started to eat and has gained 10lb. That's all good but his behaviour is worse than ever. He has no self control and is aggressive and rude, as well as being challenging this is extremely sad as the old piers was polite, funny and loving. Worse still is he is aware of the change in him and has withdrawn himself from contact with anyone for fear of being aggressive and he wishes he hadn't been born. He also frequently self harms. I have considered changing his diet to a paleo diet but my husband flatly refused to entertain it he is very against it you see, he doesn't even know I am doing a whole 30. He is very much a believer in the standard diet. I too am sorry to get of topic.

Hi Joy, perhaps have your hubby read this testimonial. The family might not have the exact challenges yours has but their success with implementing Whole30 and basically getting their son back is remarkable. http://whole30.com/2015/02/whole30-success-story-millers-miracle/

joybedford - I am so sorry to hear that !  Sounds like his medicine is still not right.  It's a trial and error, and he shouldn't have to feel this way.  Time for another change I think.  My son is on Guanfacine, which is a non-stimulant mood stabilizer.  It doesn't do much for his attention or hyperactivity, I think most of that is normal for an 8 year old boy, but it keeps him less anxious.  And his appetite is as good as ever !  I'm also sorry to hear your husband does not support a change in diet.  I believe that your diet is everything, and it could make a huge difference in his behavior and attitude towards himself.  Good luck to you.  You are in my prayers.  Sneak the kid some filling health food, and definitely have him stay away from sugar and red dye.  Dairy is also a culprit in many ASD kids. 

ChicagoFoodie - check out the Whole30 timeline.  I think you'll find that this feeling of bloated-ness (is that a word?) is normal in the beginning.  The only thing that sticks out in your diet is I don't see a whole lot of green vegetables.  I think the fiber will help "clear you out", if you know what I mean.  My opinion.  

Archived