STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

BTW is anyone else doing this with a partner (not virtual) and finding that its been a good bonding experience?

My husband joined me last time and we definitely felt that. I hadn't expected him to be interested. Then when he went away on a boys weekend half way through and went off plan no matter how much I reassured him you could see it written on his face that he felt like he let me down. When he suggested we do another I agreed right away :)

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, hello, hello!!! Man oh Man.......on my first W30 I was posting daily, so I really feel like I'm letting my W30 family down by not getting involved as much this time around. :mellow:  I've just been sooooo busy with work, and by the time I get home and make us all dinner, I don't have much time or even motivation to jump on-lline. I guess I also feel like I didn't have anything to report in about...I CAN tell you though that today was a big challenge for me. I had to prepare an afternoon drinks & yummy food platters farewell function thingy in the office and couldn't (a.k.a. chose not to) indulge wth my colleagues. I walked out of the party area with a carrot & celery stick & drinking water out of a wine glass - saaaad....but good! :D When I got home I told my W30 hubby what I had missed out on and he groaned (with envy) as I recalled all the yummy food. I brought home a leftover platter of veggie sticks, so cooked up some big, lucsious steaks and added the veggie sticks, some tahini dressing for dipping and some stir fried cashews, button mushrooms & celery - very satisfying!

FYI, today felt a little like tiger blood to me - LOADS of energy (however hubby didn't share the same energy level).

An interesting observation for me has been the return of a coldsore - so weird. Prior to me even knowing about W30, my coldsores weren't all that frequent, but I did get them about 3 times a year. When I did my first W30 in Jan this year, I had a coldsore appear (although I felt much better health wise in every other way). I went off the rails in Feb - what I like to call my 'you should know better' period, then started my 2nd W30 on March 1 (with you guys)! Wouldn't you know it - coldsore again! I mentioned it to someone today and they suggested it was because I'm detoxing, it was bringing out the virus. Anyone have answers on why this is happening and  if it's a good thing or a bad thing?

An update for the men in the group - Hubby is doing really well on this journey. He's broken all his snacking habbits, especially the after dinner high carbgrazing for hours. Well done him! The only thing he ISN'T compliant on is his coffee. He knows 100% that he shouldn't be having dairy or sweetener and in every single other instance he isn't, HOWEVER, he just couldn't drink coconut coffee - and coffee is his saviour on this journey. Sooooo, we agreed that if he went back to regular milk & Xylitol in his coffee, he'd continue to follow the rest of the W30 guidelines, and he is! I know he may not get the exact result a 30 day/100% compliant Whole30 would produce, but he's learning lot's of other great lessons and changing many of his old, bad eating habits....

Update - addressing some posts now:-

Like LeaC I really benefited from the 1st round, slipped some in February, and I am back on.

But it's going to take more than 30 days to kick decades of bad eating habits to the curb!

I hear you Banzai30 - changing long standing eating/drinking habits is not something that changes in just 30 days - but its a great start for us!

Thanks for the encouragement to eat more :) I don't think I'm truly "hungry" but its more like I'm used to eating. I am using the guides for portions and am not going hungry. BTW is anyone else doing this with a partner (not virtual) and finding that its been a good bonding experience?

Yes! Not sure we're bonding more??? I think he's doing it to be kind/supportive of me and make life easier for me. Little does he know though, that he'll be thankful at the end of the 30 days, for the changes that will have taken place! ;)

While on the topic of recipes, I'm interested in adding kale to my lineup but I'm unsure how to go about that. Do I treat it like lettuce or spinach? What are ways I should try using this?

Hoffmak, this is my favourite way to eat kale (the only way in fact) - http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/ my ‘sprinkle’ consists of raw cashews chopped in the food processor, nutritional yeast, sea salt & paprika. Coated kale in macadamia nut oil.

Also, a big HI and top-of-the-morning to leaC and sunsoakeddreamer - ssd, where are you?

Bronnny, I'm here...at last! Still enjoying reading your posts!

hi. i hope it's ok for me to join as i started on march 2nd.  i'm also giving up smoking at the same time

hlfinn - wow, you've got guts giving up all those food groups + ciggies at the same time - GOOD ON YOU! Let us know how we can help/support you.

Been eating bone broth and taking magnesium pills to counteract the hangover....

Bronny, I suffer from leg cramps (although they aren't so bad at the moment - yey), I take magnesium tablets for them also, but as LadyShanny said, a good soak in a bath with epsom salts is an amazing detox + magnesium restorative!

LadyShanny, just jumped onto your blog. I'm going to enjoy having a look around! I LOVE Kombucha, but reading all that brewing info made my head hurt - I'm a lazy so and so! :lol:

OK, sorry for the LOOOOONG post, as you can see I did end up having a lot to say after 3 days of not posting!

Night - Leanne xx

Days 4 and 5 weren't so bad.. cravings, but not irritability.  Now, however I want to Kill All The Things. 

Had a snowstorm yesterday-last night, so somewhat snowed in.  SO going in to work late, and I'm not expecting to be able to run, both of which are probably contributing to my wanting to harm people.  (I only started running recently and still utterly suck at it, but I'm shocked by how much it still does to blow off steam.  Yesterday, I ran before breakfast in the pre-snowstorm drizzle.  I think my body has been possessed by some sort of alien entity.)

• Administrators

An interesting observation for me has been the return of a coldsore - so weird. Prior to me even knowing about W30, my coldsores weren't all that frequent, but I did get them about 3 times a year. When I did my first W30 in Jan this year, I had a coldsore appear (although I felt much better health wise in every other way). I went off the rails in Feb - what I like to call my 'you should know better' period, then started my 2nd W30 on March 1 (with you guys)! Wouldn't you know it - coldsore again! I mentioned it to someone today and they suggested it was because I'm detoxing, it was bringing out the virus. Anyone have answers on why this is happening and if it's a good thing or a bad thing?

- Leanne xx

Hey Leanne, I am a cold sore sufferer also, blech! From what I understand, we have the virus all the time in our bodies and our immune system is always working to supress an outbreak. When you go on Whole30 and your body does other healing, it probably can't devote enough resources to supressing that virus and you get an outbreak. Same goes for getting one during a stressful time or when you are already sick.

My triggers are usually extreme stress, cold/flu (which I don't get anymore, thanks Whole30!), my period and high consumption of sugar.

• Administrators

Sorry, here it is

It seems that they have veggies and protein. I'd pick a couple proteins that you might enjoy and call ahead and ask your questions before you go. Ask for cooking oils, marinades, sauces.

Day 12 for me, and I really want a huge piece of red meat !  My husband and I have limited our red meat consumption for heart healthy reasons, so I haven't even had a hamburger in a while.  I'm craving it big time.  And I already know the first food I want to reintroduce when this is over -- CHEESE !  This is the time when the rubber meets the road, and all I can think about is what I can't have.  Anyone else in this stage yet?  This is the first day the cravings are really setting in.

Maybe I just need to go shopping, and get creative in the kitchen.  It doesn't help that there has been a cake on my kitchen counter all week.  But no tastes by me !

Happy Day 6 wooohoo!

It's morning and I feel much better. Also felt better after a couple hours work, but at first I thought I might hurl, which took me by surprise. Then I had a couple glasses of water, did a big burp and felt a bit better, albeit still quite tired. This bug that's going around includes tummy aches and low energy - I think that's what's happening. Hope today is better.  

LeaC re cold sores - I have a herpes virus that lives on my eyelid! It's been there for a decade - probably from touching a hand that touched a cold sore... and I've learned that high amounts of arginine can "wake up" the virus. Almonds, chocolate, coffee, red wine, smoked stuff, red meat (meat in general) have high arginine. Bummer huh! That doesn't mean avoid altogether - I just watch those foods if I start having a break out, and take L-lysine capsules and eat foods with higih lysine/low arginine  ratios.  Esp. cuz it's close to the eyeball, I'm very careful to not let the virus bloom when it starts to itch - L-lysine and diet really works!!

WOW SSD on your story about bonding! I'm hoping that will happen with a couple of peeps I know who are thinking about joining the program. Or at least help them move into a new way of thinking in general... 

I'm single right now and having a pretty cool bonding experience with myself!  :)

Today I allowed some shredded acorn squash with my breakfast and mayan was it goooood! With two fried eggs and a bit-o-pork belly. Also had one 12 oz glass of lemon water before breaky and green tea during.

Rest of day will be:

One 12 oz glass of H2O

M2 will be stuffed orange pepper with chick sal, a little pickle and bacon. Kale on side. 

One 12 oz glass of H2O

M3 will be light again - a bit of fried bacon with collards and maybe an egg if I am really hungry.

Two 12 oz glasses of H2O

Ladyshanny I took an ebsom bath last night and boy did it help! Thank you! Slept like a baby the whole night through. Mag pills seem to be helping as well - although there is still a bit of cramping. Much less - I'm thinking I need to drink more H2O and record it so that it happens. So that's why I have H2O up there in my meal record. :)

Happy W30 all! xox

so yesterday i went to trader joe's to stock up on eggs and more produce... and found larabars. i bought them to have in an emergency. and then proceeded to eat 3 before the night was over.  was disappointed in my lack of willpower (though happy i was still whole30 compliant) but i did learn a BIG lesson- I could NOT fall asleep.  i had been sleeping really well all week and then last night- boom! up until 2 am.  i really think it was the end of the night sugar  (albeit the natural kind it was still too much.) going to make sure i don't do that again!

i had one larabar today (sigh) but am saving the rest for emergencies.  i swear.

• Administrators

so yesterday i went to trader joe's to stock up on eggs and more produce... and found larabars. i bought them to have in an emergency. and then proceeded to eat 3 before the night was over.  was disappointed in my lack of willpower (though happy i was still whole30 compliant) but i did learn a BIG lesson- I could NOT fall asleep.  i had been sleeping really well all week and then last night- boom! up until 2 am.  i really think it was the end of the night sugar  (albeit the natural kind it was still too much.) going to make sure i don't do that again!

i had one larabar today (sigh) but am saving the rest for emergencies.  i swear.

Go put them in the trunk of your car!  ;)

• Administrators

LeaC re cold sores - I have a herpes virus that lives on my eyelid! It's been there for a decade - probably from touching a hand that touched a cold sore... and I've learned that high amounts of arginine can "wake up" the virus. Almonds, chocolate, coffee, red wine, smoked stuff, red meat (meat in general) have high arginine. Bummer huh! That doesn't mean avoid altogether - I just watch those foods if I start having a break out, and take L-lysine capsules and eat foods with higih lysine/low arginine  ratios.  Esp. cuz it's close to the eyeball, I'm very careful to not let the virus bloom when it starts to itch - L-lysine and diet really works!!

OMG, that sounds absolutely dreadful!  How painful that must be if it does blossom into a full blown sore.  Yipes.  :(

I have tried L-lysine capsules but they gave me such an intense stomach ache that I almost ended up in the hospital.  No clue why and not willing to ever try them again! (I was in the middle of Utah on the back of my husband's Harley at the time that the stomach pain hit, quite the day we had!)

I second the larabar thing.. I think they should be non compliant. To me they're essentially a candy bar. I had plenty on my first whole 30 and kept craving fruit and sugar.

I confess though I'm having trouble weaning myself off fruit. I'm trying to stick to two pieces a day unsuccessfully. It's almost the only readily available compliant food at the hospital where I work (which is a terrible thing in itself). As I write this I realize that there is no excuse and I just need to pre plan and pack my 3 meals a day. Oh well.

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

Ladyshanny yep it hurts and itches - the whole eyelid swells up and eyeball gets all red - it looks really gross. The first time it happened I thought it was a sty, but it just kept getting worse and worse and wouldn't go away. By the time I got to the doc, my whole eyelid had swollen shut. I was really scared. Haven't had a real breakout in over three years - and I know the last time was bec of what i was ingesting - chocolate, beer, wine - esp the beer. 

Taking a Harley road trip sounds hellaFUN - but on a long stretch of road with stomach cramps - YOUCH! 

I suspect that the portability and convenience is a big component allowing Larabars?  Foods that are suitable for keeping in your purse or car in case you're unexpectedly stuck somewhere without compliant food have to be relatively compact, not spoil easily, and not be too delicate.  A baggie of nuts and dried fruit would serve the same purpose, but those are easy to overeat too, and easier to get into.  (A sealed bar that you're saving just in case is harder to justify having "just a bit" of and then "accidentally" eating more than a ziplock bag of nuts and dried fruit would be.)

The paleo-ified versions of pancakes or muffins or whatnot are things that you choose to spend time cooking when you have access to other food.  You'd be having the banana pancakes instead cooking something else for breakfast; a Larabar in your purse can be an option instead of not eating at all or hitting a drive-through. 

(!!! Exclamation Mark Overuse Warning!!!)

Morning all - Day 7! (Saturday so the very first thing I'm doing is checking in)! :wub:

Bronnyd/LadyShanny, agreed re: coldsore - Lysine tablets upset my stomach in January also (such a waste of money...) but you have to try these things and they work for some people! Good suggestion though about the arginine foods - will check in with my friend Google! PS: LadyShanny, thanks for the explanation about why these little pests re-surface during a 'healthy' period of time. I'm looking at it now as a sign that all is good! xx

Sorry, here it is

booksandcoffee - I would have made the same suggestion as LadyShanny, but it's probably too late now and you would have already eaten your dinner! I saw a lot of protein & veggies also, so I too would have asked if they could create a plate that included a protein & veggie option & no sauces etc. Hope it was delicious!

Days 4 and 5 weren't so bad.. cravings, but not irritability.  Now, however I want to Kill All The Things. 

I think my body has been possessed by some sort of alien entity.)

Insert LOL :lol:  emoji here Maggiedoll!  I know you feel like a demon possessed person and can't explain why, so really if you think about it, you've gotta laugh don't you! It will pass...

This weekend is 'cook up a storm' weekend, so I can get prepped for the coming week. To all the newbies, you'll have discovered by now that planning is crucial if you want to stay sane and on track! Everyone is raving about chocolate chilli, so I'm thinking of making a batch - can't wait!

Hi Sunsoakeddreamer, not long to go now! It sounds like you are setting yourself up to succeed too. Just think how much fun it will be to have your extended family joining you guys on this journey this time round...

I'm here Bronny! Counting down - 3 days left until we start up again.

-Prep more than what I need for the night. I can't get the hang of the big Sunday cook up, but if I'm chopping one pepper, I can chop a couple more and set them aside, peel extra carrots, or run a sweet potato through the food processor for breakfast hash if I already have it out for something else

I love my sweet potato hash  for breakfast and had thought of making mornings quicker/easier by food processing the night before also, but doesn't the sp turn brown? Maybe I'll try a small batch tonight and see how it looks in the morning. Actually its the cooking of the hash that seems to take so long for me. To ensure it's cooked well, I use my electric frypan and also put a a llid over it to help speed up the process but if you want a nice crispy bottom, you do need to leave it for a while. Sometimes I think it's better to just cook up a big batch the night before (as part of M3), then it's done for the morning!

Thoughts on speeding up breakfast prep anyone?

Hi Sunsoakeddreamer, not long to go now! It sounds like you are setting yourself up to succeed too. Just think how much fun it will be to have your extended family joining you guys on this journey this time round...

I love my sweet potato hash for breakfast and had thought of making mornings quicker/easier by food processing the night before also, but doesn't the sp turn brown? Maybe I'll try a small batch tonight and see how it looks in the morning. Actually its the cooking of the hash that seems to take so long for me. To ensure it's cooked well, I use my electric frypan and also put a a llid over it to help speed up the process but if you want a nice crispy bottom, you do need to leave it for a while. Sometimes I think it's better to just cook up a big batch the night before (as part of M3), then it's done for the morning!

Thoughts on speeding up breakfast prep anyone?

I chop my sweet potato using my ninja and store it in a container. I also pre chop my peppers and onions to have them ready to go. By sweet potato has never turned brown. It's with a try. I almost shred by sweet potato to cook it super fast. I can post a picture on the Facebook group to show you if want. :)

I second the larabar thing.. I think they should be non compliant. To me they're essentially a candy bar. I had plenty on my first whole 30 and kept craving fruit and sugar.

I confess though I'm having trouble weaning myself off fruit. I'm trying to stick to two pieces a day unsuccessfully. It's almost the only readily available compliant food at the hospital where I work (which is a terrible thing in itself). As I write this I realize that there is no excuse and I just need to pre plan and pack my 3 meals a day. Oh well.

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

Hey booksandcoffee, I hear you on the fruits and packable snacks. I went into my first whole30 with bad sweet tooth and felt I had to cut down fruit consumption to ingredients in a recipe or eating fruit alongside or immediately after my meal. And I slayed my sugar dragon! As for snacks, try to bulk up your meals so you don't need them. You'll have way more success if you can pack yourself yummy filling meals. I always had a hard boiled egg in the fridge at work, but since I'd have to be pretty hungry to be interested in eating that instead of waiting for my next meal I usually made it through the day without snacking (pre whole30 I had at least 3 snacks per day!). 

LeaC I haven't had any browning issues with my sweet potatoes, I shred them up and toss them in the fridge and they cook up pretty quickly in the morning. Sometimes I'll chop and roast them the night before while dinner is in the oven, then they just have to be heated up in the morning. I like to add beats to the roasted mix too!

Brilliant! That's what I am....(or maybe not). :wacko:

I decided for dinner I would make the infamous Chocolate Chili recipe that everyone raves about. Problem was that by the time I got to the part of the recipe which says 'let simmer', it was 6.45pm. It said "let simmer for 2 hours - don't skimp on the simmer!"

There was no way hubby and I were going to wait 2 hours to eat, so I had to quickly come up with Plan B. Youngest son had baked bean nachos - sorted. Older son had gone out to dinner - sorted.

I found 2 pork steaks in the fridge, grilled them then baked in the oven with sliced apple on top. Earlier this afternoon I thought I would make a batch of pumpkin/ghee fat bombs, so I took a couple out of the freezer, placed them on the dinner plates with the apple topped pork & some quick sesame stir fry veggies. The pumpkin/ghee fat bombs melted slowly into the pork - devine, dinner sorted!!!

(The chili is still cooking)...

Brilliant! That's what I am....(or maybe not). :wacko:

I found 2 pork steaks in the fridge, grilled them then baked in the oven with sliced apple on top. Earlier this afternoon I thought I would make a batch of pumpkin/ghee fat bombs, so I took a couple out of the freezer, placed them on the dinner plates with the apple topped pork & some quick sesame stir fry veggies. The pumpkin/ghee fat bombs melted slowly into the pork - devine, dinner sorted!!!

(The chili is still cooking)...

That sounds like an amazing dinner! What are these pumpkin ghee fat bombs? They sound delicious.

You won't regret waiting for the chocolate chili :)

Hey booksandcoffee, I hear you on the fruits and packable snacks. I went into my first whole30 with bad sweet tooth and felt I had to cut down fruit consumption to ingredients in a recipe or eating fruit alongside or immediately after my meal. And I slayed my sugar dragon! As for snacks, try to bulk up your meals so you don't need them. You'll have way more success if you can pack yourself yummy filling meals. I always had a hard boiled egg in the fridge at work, but since I'd have to be pretty hungry to be interested in eating that instead of waiting for my next meal I usually made it through the day without snacking (pre whole30 I had at least 3 snacks per day!). 

LeaC I haven't had any browning issues with my sweet potatoes, I shred them up and toss them in the fridge and they cook up pretty quickly in the morning. Sometimes I'll chop and roast them the night before while dinner is in the oven, then they just have to be heated up in the morning. I like to add beats to the roasted mix too!

Thank you for the advice. I definitely need to do this. I'll report back! For now no longer including fruit in my lunch box, except if it's part of a cooked meal.

Archived