STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

Hi all, happy weekend!

I will definitely have to take all of your advice regarding sweet potato prep! I pre-chopped a few peppers this week and kept them in a baggie, and it was a huge time saver, especially in the morning.

In terms of Larabars, I see why many of you don't think they should be compliant. For me, I use them sometimes as fuel on longer runs, in which case, I'm happy to have an easy source of workout fuel. However, I've also heard good things about some of those puree packets that contain sweet potato, fruit, etc. so I may have to see how that works for me! For snacks, there are some jerky bars that I prefer to keep in my purse for emergencies/on the go over Larabars - I like Wild Zora bars (have to order online) and turkey/beef Epic bars (I buy at Sprouts grocery store).

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, happy weekend!

I will definitely have to take all of your advice regarding sweet potato prep! I pre-chopped a few peppers this week and kept them in a baggie, and it was a huge time saver, especially in the morning.

In terms of Larabars, I see why many of you don't think they should be compliant. For me, I use them sometimes as fuel on longer runs, in which case, I'm happy to have an easy source of workout fuel. However, I've also heard good things about some of those puree packets that contain sweet potato, fruit, etc. so I may have to see how that works for me! For snacks, there are some jerky bars that I prefer to keep in my purse for emergencies/on the go over Larabars - I like Wild Zora bars (have to order online) and turkey/beef Epic bars (I buy at Sprouts grocery store).

As an endurance athlete myself, I highly recommend the pouches of fruit and sweet potato. They are super easy to eat and carry while running and cycling. I typically stock up when they go on sale (check the baby aisle or buy they online). As always with packaged food, check the ingredients! It should simply say, e.g., sweet potatoes, bananas, mango, etc. They are perfect for taking place of gels or gu. :-)

I have to give credit to Bronnyd for the link in a previous post (not sure which thread???), about Fat Bombs - http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/ . Now, the jury is out for me on whether these little gems are W30 compliant because they are actually SWYPO (paleoish treats) and I'm bound to get into trouble from the moderators here, HOWEVER, I tweaked the Fat Pumpkin Butter Bombs recipe by using ghee instead of butter and used 2 dates instead of stevia. The mixture didn't cream like it would with butter, but I chilled the mush in the freezer until the fats (coconut oil & melted ghee) started to set, then mixed and scooped the mixture into little patty cases and popped back in the freezer to store.

The purpose of making FB's is to provide a quick and delicious form of healthy fat to your diet, they can be a convenient pre-workout source of fat (if you choose the right ingredients), or like me, you can add some satiating fat & flavour to your meals.

Word of warning: Fat Bombs would definately be considered SWYPO if you just popped them into your mouth as a between meals treat! Moderators, see, I'm offering sensible advice!!!

Check out these amazing savoury fat bombs...http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/?tag=/tagFatBombs&title=Fat%20Bombs Don't you just love it - Bacon & Egg Fat Bombs

This is MY take on it anyway....enjoy!

LeaC that impromptu pork dinner sounds FABULOUS! My mouth is watering and I'm not even hungry! 

Hmmm I'm not sure fat bombs are SWYPO - I think you nailed it, LeaC with how you use them. Some foods can be subjectively SWYPOish - like dates with almonds in them (call 'em sweet bites or call 'em dates with almonds) or eggplant "fries". I've made a completely compliant sausage "meat bagel" and man did it hit the spot. I wasn't hungry for hours. 

Today was SO beautiful out! High 60s and sun shining! Tomorrow it's supposed to be 70 - that's unheard of in Portland Oregon this time of year. I rode my bike around town doing errands and at dusk on the way home I smelled the most delectable mouth watering chocolate cake (or maybe choc chip cookies) baking - it wafted in an out for several blocks. And then I smelled cherry blossoms. What a day.

Today my eating was simple and tasty:

M1 two fried eggs, acorn squash hash browns, kale and sausage, espressooooo with coconut oil - yummmmm

M2 Bacon bits and pieces and the last of my bone broth with the last of my chicken and broccoli thrown in

M3 Fish-n-chips ( chips = eggplant cut in strips and baked in oven with a little garlic oil drizzled on top)

Lots of H2O before and after each meal

I can't believe how much I'm eating and seem to be losing (not weighing, just looking and feeling clothes). Also, it is so NICE to not fret about how much to eat, count calories, feel hungry all the time, not fret about even what to eat and what not to eat, not fret about maybe skipping dinner or portioning out smaller meals - it is just so nice to be eating really good, whole foods and not struggle anymore!! 

Thanks for your support Bronny! Yes I think if you are sensible about these things, you can still enjoy a large variety of whole foods and not give in to mindless snacking on pretend junk food. Who doesn't want sweet buttery pumpkin balls accompanying the meat on their dinner plate?!

By the way, I noticed that ashleysauce who started this thread, updated her picture today - yet no posts???? I do find it odd that people start threads then check out... :huh:

Here's to 1 week down guys! Night.

Hello everyone. Wow, week 1 complete. What have I learnt?

I love Kale, just cooked with ghee and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

It is easy to eat too many Nak'd Bars (like Lara Bars I think, just dates and cashews)

Leftovers for Meal I is the best way to go.

Spending an afternoon preparing sauces and salads is time well spent.

I love Nom Nom Paleo's Pork meatloaf and so do all the family.

I can go out for afternoon tea with my OH and just have a pot of green tea

This coming week I will try Chocolate Chilli, my sprializer should arrive and I wont buy any Nak'd Bars

Sandy xx

Hey sandybethesocks - love your username :) Love kale too! Your post is like a W30 poem. ;)

I looked up the pork meatloaf and mayan does it sound good!! I'ma gonna make some tonight. Can't have mushrooms and just a tiny bit of onion cooked really well so i'm going to sub shrooms with sundried tomatoes..

Have also been thinking about making the choco chili but my SIBO FODMAP says no choco. But the ing is so sparse, i'm thinking of trying it anyway. Also read a recipe that replaced espresso instead of choco. Might go that route - not sure yet. That's later this week.

Today is like summer outside. Will be planting starts, turning dirt, pulling weeds,and possibly going out on my bike. Woohoo!  

Soaked filberts in salt water last night and now roasting them for 24 hours in oven at 200 degs. Will have to remove them when I bake the meatloaf.

Drank a big glass of lemon h2o right when i got up and then cooked a delectable breaky - sauteed sausage with a touch of bacon pieces, chopped acorn squash (1/2 cup), chard and three eggs - hey it's sunday. Also espresso with T c-oil.

M2 whole orange pepper stuffed with pork belly, sundried tomatoes, mustard greens 
M3 Pork meatloaf if I make it... OR sauteed kale with bacon bits and pieces and maybe 1/4 cup squash

xob

Yum...Short ribs!!!  I will have to definately try this one!! Well I DID IT!!!!  I survived a weekend away from home and skiing. It was not easy. However, I was prepared. I was thrown a few curve balls, but I dodged them. Like the "let's meet at the bar for drinks" after a long day on the slopes a cold beer or glass of wine would have hit the spot!!!  I had a club soda....Then all the bar food..I went to the ladies room and took a walk outside by the firepit, until I could return with my willpower. I did cook the dinner!!!  I wanted to be in control!!!  We had pork chops smothered in onions and apples, with brussel sprouts. I am sure they would have prefered nachos... lol!!! I felt like a million bucks and slept like a baby. We skied again all day today and then drove home. I had leftover pork chops and tons of lemon water. My husband gased up at the rest stop grabbed a coffee and donut, and hot chocolate for the kids. I decided to put on my chapstick and READ MY BOOK!!! It wasn't easy...I was looking for an emergency number (911) to call for a quick shot of will power. However, now that it is all over I can go to bed and wake up in the morning pain free!!!              

I have my groceries delivered, so I have tons of fresh produce and goodies for the week. I am in love with not having to weigh, measure, or count anything!!! Have a great night...Thanks!!!

I have to give credit to Bronnyd for the link in a previous post (not sure which thread???), about Fat Bombs - http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/ . Now, the jury is out for me on whether these little gems are W30 compliant because they are actually SWYPO (paleoish treats) and I'm bound to get into trouble from the moderators here, HOWEVER, I tweaked the Fat Pumpkin Butter Bombs recipe by using ghee instead of butter and used 2 dates instead of stevia. The mixture didn't cream like it would with butter, but I chilled the mush in the freezer until the fats (coconut oil & melted ghee) started to set, then mixed and scooped the mixture into little patty cases and popped back in the freezer to store.

The purpose of making FB's is to provide a quick and delicious form of healthy fat to your diet, they can be a convenient pre-workout source of fat (if you choose the right ingredients), or like me, you can add some satiating fat & flavour to your meals.

Word of warning: Fat Bombs would definately be considered SWYPO if you just popped them into your mouth as a between meals treat! Moderators, see, I'm offering sensible advice!!!

Check out these amazing savoury fat bombs...http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/?tag=/tagFatBombs&title=Fat%20Bombs Don't you just love it - Bacon & Egg Fat Bombs

Hey leaC, you nailed the context perfectly. IF you were eating these solo or as a dessert replacement, then they would be considered SWYPO. However, if you're using it as a condiment for your dish, it's totally fine. As long as it's an accompaniment to your meal and NOT a replacement for a meal/snack then all is good. And in your case, you're essentially using it like a flavoured butter/bearnaise/fruit salsa. Sounds yummy.

ps. Didn't mean to horn in on the March 1st thread! Y'all are a fun bunch...even if I didn't start at the same time. (I just finished my whole 30 yesterday.) :)

Good on you evaq, anyone is welcome to chat Whole30 with us, and congratulations for finishing your 30 days!

How is everyone? It's gone a little quiet....

Sunsoakeddreamer - have you and your family started yet?

If anyone's interested on my Choc Chili update, here it is....

M3 tonight - Mashed potato with ghee & almond milk, Chocolate Chili, Sour Cream (soaked almonds, lemon juice, salt – blended), Avocado

The chili was - OK, but I thought my addition of the sour cream & chopped avo made it better. I must say I was pretty pleased to have pulled together the sour cream invention!

Hubby complained of a slight stomach upset today. I think it was all the cauliflower we had last night and today - ie: the cauliflower rice?

An interesting observation of the 2 different but same journeys hubby and I are undertaking during this W30.......I'm very 'all or nothing'. So if I'm doing W30, I'm not cheating - not even once! However, once I go off the rails a.k.a. between my first and second W30, I really go off the rails - no brakes!

Hubby's journey is a little different in that he seems to have created his own 'exceptions' to the programme, every 3 or 4 days it's something new!

After day 1 he said he couldn't continue without real milk & xylitol in his coffee. That's all he wanted, milk and xylitol in his life saving coffees! So I said "if the rest of your diet is to plan, then you're learning lots and so sure, have your coffee your way". A couple of days later he asked what he could have to help with hydration at the gym. I gave him coconut water, but he struggled and  when he returned he said "if I can just have my hydration powder in my water, I'll stick to the rest of the plan". He's now discovered our (Australian) version of a Larabar - W30 approved, but an 'emergency food', and he thinks this is a compliant snack food!

Poor thing, at least he has learnt to cut out all that junk food and continual snacking. I can't make him follow the programme word for word, it's his bike he's riding. I'm just so proud that the rest of the time, he's showing strength enough to have changed his view on the food he puts in his mouth.

Forgot to mention, I made a couple of batches of Kale Chips - my famiy devour them quicker than I can make them.

We had Kale Chips for dinner last night, and tonight, and we're sure to have kale chips for breakfast tomorrow!

Night.

L. xx

Happy Day 9!! Just wanted to share one of my favorite recipes from Well Fed cookbook: Golden Cauliflower soup ( I add cayenne pepper, ginger, and nutmeg for additional flavoring). I've been making this pretty regularly since last year. It's a perfect lunch pairing, breakfast addition (sip from a cup if it's strange to eat soup for breakfast), or appetizer to eat while dinner finishes cooking. 

M1: Veggie omelette, strawberries and blueberries

M2: Golden cauliflower soup, spinach salad with chicken, and roasted sweet potatoes and carrots. 

M3: Planning on making a beef stew

How does everyone feel today? I know daylight savings time threw me off. I went for a late run and ate dinner super late which then made me go to bed late last night. I woke up a little tired since I didn't get much sleep.  Even though I'm a little tired I know it's from not sleeping enough, but eating has given me energy rather than making me more tired. 

Hey All - Day 9 woohoo! 

So after vacillating yest i decided to make the meat loaf afterall and bone broth for the ribs. Bone broth is simmering in crock pot and the meat loaf OMG SO GOOD! I had it for breaky this morning with squash and celeriac hash browns. Yummmyyyyyy.

M2 1/2 large yellow pepper with tuna salad

M3 probably meat loaf with sauteed kale

Another beaUtiful spring day today here! May you all enjoy your day, be it sun, snow, rain, wind... 

xoxb

Feeling really bloated at the end of the first week.  Maybe I've been eating too much cauliflower mash.  I find it so filling, but maybe my gut is saying no to it.  Will abstain from that recipe for a few days.  I've never been a cook - BUT - I'm having so much fun preparing my meals this week!  Mentioned in an Instagram post that I'm going to look for a job as a 'food stylist' when I'm done. (not really).  I'm taking the time to make sure all my meals look appealing on the plate before I sit down to eat.  Been an interesting awareness for me.

Did a week of just 3 meals a day which is a huge milestone for me.  Realized quite quickly that I'm a snacker, or grazer.  No snacks last week.

Someone posted a wonderful comment about nuts that I need to keep with me - something like "If you don't crack them, don't eat them".  Almonds have been my weakness for awhile.  I can go through a bag of Blue Diamond almonds easily every week.  Decided early in, no nuts for me this month.  Doing fine without them.

Carmen - I still can't find the facebook group you started.  Would you post the group name one more time please.

Keep going everyone.  Look forward to reading some wonder results at the end of March.  Scale or non-scale!!

Feeling really bloated at the end of the first week.  Maybe I've been eating too much cauliflower mash.  I find it so filling, but maybe my gut is saying no to it.  Will abstain from that recipe for a few days.  I've never been a cook - BUT - I'm having so much fun preparing my meals this week!  Mentioned in an Instagram post that I'm going to look for a job as a 'food stylist' when I'm done. (not really).  I'm taking the time to make sure all my meals look appealing on the plate before I sit down to eat.  Been an interesting awareness for me.

Carmen - I still can't find the facebook group you started.  Would you post the group name one more time please.

The Facebook group is called March Whole30 Support Group!

The bloating is apparently normal according to the Whole30 timeline! I know someone else who had that happen, and when she was well into Week 2, the bloating was gone. Can't hurt to make some adjustments (maybe less cauli?) if it's annoying you!

I'm also obsessed with instagramming my food. Not even ashamed.

This weekend, I made Paleo Moussaka from the Mediterranean Paleo Cooking cookbook, and it was fabulous. I've never even had regular Moussaka before, but the Paleo version is fantastic! Also spiralized Zucchini and Sweet potato for easy "noodles" for meals this week :)  :P

I forget to take pictures of my food before I eat it!! I remember halfway and then it's not a very pretty plate. It must be that I'm so hungry when it's mealtime.

Happy to report big decrease in fruit intake, I've replaced it all with veggies and hard boiled eggs. Some strange looks from coworkers but oh well.

I agree with the whole fatbomb thing... I've actually decided against making them because I don't trust myself with them in the fridge :(. Maybe after whole30 is done.

Happy Monday everyone! Enjoy the sun!! :wub:  :wub:

Hi Everyone! 

How does everyone feel today? I know daylight savings time threw me off. I went for a late run and ate dinner super late which then made me go to bed late last night. I woke up a little tired since I didn't get much sleep.  Even though I'm a little tired I know it's from not sleeping enough, but eating has given me energy rather than making me more tired. 

Carmen, it's interesting how different we all are. At the moment, I'm feeling pretty good, I don't often feel hungry and I feel mentally clear. Hubby on the other hand has had a few flat days, said today he feels a bit low - although we're eating the exact same food. I reminded him that he's incorporating a few things that aren't 'on the plan' so he has to realise we will end up with different results.

How's everyone else feeling?

Dinner tonight was: Hash Browns (shredded potato, egg, seasoning, fried in duck fat) & Lamb Shanks (cooked in tomato paste beef stock, L.S.A.)

Mmmmmm....

Woo Hoo....day 10!!! I have to say I feel great. Last time around the first two weeks were horrible. I had severe headaches. I believe that had to do with the caffeine withdrawal. This time I am drinking coffee with the canned coconut milk. Is it alright to have the coconut milk every day? I feel there is so much fat. I am concentrating on cutting back back to one cup in the morning. To keep the fat in check. I am also bloated and not enjoying the loose pants feeling. However I am more concerned about feeling good. My joints are starting to feel limber and pain free, feeling more energy, and my appetite is under control. Because of these positive results, I can start working out again. I should then start to loose inches. Another victory, people are starting to tell me my skin is glowing, looking healthy, etc.... I'll take it!!

M1.... egg salad on mixed greens, grapefruit, coffee with coconut milk

M2.....meat sauce with NO PASTA on a bed of spinach

M3......Roasted chicken, baked potato with ghee, and roasted Brussel sprouts.

I hope everyone is feeling the positive benefits!!! Have a happy and compliant day

Did a week of just 3 meals a day which is a huge milestone for me.  Realized quite quickly that I'm a snacker, or grazer.  No snacks last week.

Someone posted a wonderful comment about nuts that I need to keep with me - something like "If you don't crack them, don't eat them".  Almonds have been my weakness for awhile.  I can go through a bag of Blue Diamond almonds easily every week.  Decided early in, no nuts for me this month.  Doing fine without them.

Keep going everyone.  Look forward to reading some wonder results at the end of March.  Scale or non-scale!!

Did you find the facebook group? I am so sorry you are having difficulty. If you can't find it, please let me know. 

Hi Everyone! 

Carmen, it's interesting how different we all are. At the moment, I'm feeling pretty good, I don't often feel hungry and I feel mentally clear. Hubby on the other hand has had a few flat days, said today he feels a bit low - although we're eating the exact same food. I reminded him that he's incorporating a few things that aren't 'on the plan' so he has to realise we will end up with different results.

Dinner tonight was: Hash Browns (shredded potato, egg, seasoning, fried in duck fat) & Lamb Shanks (cooked in tomato paste beef stock, L.S.A.)

Mmmmmm....

I agree, it is funny how everyone reacts differently. I went to bed early last night and took a day off from working out. I feel GREAT this morning. I could definitely tell my body was sleep deprived. Lamb Shanks sound good, I haven't had Lamb in a little while. Will need to put that on my grocery list for next week. 

Woo Hoo....day 10!!! I have to say I feel great. Last time around the first two weeks were horrible. I had severe headaches. I believe that had to do with the caffeine withdrawal. This time I am drinking coffee with the canned coconut milk. Is it alright to have the coconut milk every day? I feel there is so much fat. I am concentrating on cutting back back to one cup in the morning. To keep the fat in check. I am also bloated and not enjoying the loose pants feeling. However I am more concerned about feeling good. My joints are starting to feel limber and pain free, feeling more energy, and my appetite is under control. Because of these positive results, I can start working out again. I should then start to loose inches. Another victory, people are starting to tell me my skin is glowing, looking healthy, etc.... I'll take it!!

I hope everyone is feeling the positive benefits!!! Have a happy and compliant day

Spaghetti squash is an excellent replacement for pasta. Super easy to make :)

• Administrators

Hi Everyone! 

Mmmmmm....

Your hubby might benefit from larger servings (to his palm/thumb) and greater addition of starchy carbs.  But then again, as you say, he's not actually following the plan so it's hard to say; this would be a recommendation for someone who is fully on the Whole30.  Carbohydrates will quite often eliminate the "flat" feeling and make people feel better.

• Administrators

You can certainly have canned coconut milk every day, no problem there.  From your menu above, it doesn't look at all like you are eating too much fat, in fact your Meal 2 doesn't list any?

hi everyone.  sorry i haven't checked in too much. i actually am doing pretty well (i'm on day 9) but yesterday i was bloated beyond belief. omg.  horrible.  today is better. i haven't slept well the past 2 days so i'm super tired and i feel a little foggy (keep having trouble finding the words i'm trying to say which is so frustrating and embarrassing). 

i realized on saturday night that the coconut oil spray from trader joe's that i'd used to cook with all week was not whole30 compliant. and one of the lara bars i'd eaten wasn't either (the oil has soy and the bar had vanilla extract.) ugh. so mad at myself.  since it really wasn't a lot i'm not resetting but i'm trying to decide if i should push it past 30 days.  i may decide closer to the end.

otherwise i've been doing pretty well. having a bit of trouble making sure i have a high energy carb in each meal- i can only do so many sweet potatoes. lol. i am trying to cut down on my fruit and nut consumption. i know it's been a it much and was going easy on myself bc of the quitting smoking at the same time but it's time to clean it up.

i am going away this week for work and am a little nervous.  i'm staying at a disney hotel where everything is super expensive.  i am going to go to a supermarket to get supplies and found out that there's a microwave in the lobby that i can use.  anyone have good ideas of things to buy?  i was thinking tuna packets, fruit and veggies, cold cuts if i can find the ones that are compliant, greens, maybe olives and avocados.  any other ideas?  thanks!

Archived