STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

Ladyshanny...sorry I didn't list all the fat.

M1....egg salad homemade mayo on a bed of mixed greens, coffee with coconut milk.

M2.....meat sauce ( made with olive oil) on spinach

M3.....Roasted chicken, baked potato with ghee, and roasted Brussel sprouts (cooked with olive oil).

I know I am not to worry about the fat as long as it is good fat. I am just trying to get rid of the old measuring,counting habit.

Is coconut milk considered a fat? I know that coconut oil is, and is it as healthy as the coconut oil?

sorry, I just want to get this right because I didn't lose any weight last time. I have a really hard time no matter what I do. I want this to be my LAST STOP. I plan on making this my primary way of esting, and adding foods I don't have a problem with on an occasion. If I don't my joints stiffen. It gets so bad that I feel like a 100 tr old tin man!! I am an ACTIVE 53 yr old grandmother, and I plan on keeping up with my family...thanks for any help

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

This second W30 is way easier both on my psyche and on my body. LeaC, I too am feeling much better this time around. Is this your hubby's first W30? Maybe it's taking a while for his body to adjust. As I like to say, it could very likely be a combination of things first time around, from eating more foods he's not used to, to detoxing from the bad stuff and the body adjusting to the newness of it all.. :) It's SO cool and he's willing to do a W30 with you - it really is a matter of attraction. 

Janeroyal and Sarahek211, I've seen on this forum, and experienced myself, a lot of subbing mashed potatoes with mashed cruciferous cauliflower and broccoli (yes, combined with cauliflower makes a fun green St. Paddy's day treat), lots of cabbage and brussel sprouts recipes, and that experiment can cause gas and bloating. I myself have to stay away from cauliflower altogether (mwah!) but I eat broccoli a couple-three times a week and I also do well with roasted radishes, a recipe I recently discovered that rocks.

Pyrotech I enjoy reading your upbeat posts! Glad to hear your headaches are gone. I am such a baby with headaches - can hardly function with them. Isn't it great to experience positive results from taking care of ourselves?

This morning, I had the yummyist breaky - fried paleo meatloaf - yah sounds weird but I live in Portland - and it was really good! The meatloaf is made of mostly sausage with a little bacon on top (I didn't cover it like nom nom - that seemed just gross to me), so I heated it up in my frying pan after sauteeing 1/2 cup acorn squash and OMG it was incredible - crispy on the outside and soft and delectable on the inside.  

Eating a late M2 seems to be my pattern now - I get so satiated with M1 that M2 happens at around 1:30/2ish in the aft. It was the other way around for me during my first W30, but now I include more fat in my M1s and my body has adjusted a bit.

My M3s have been really small. Yesterday I ended up just having a bit of bone broth and a handful of filberts. Just wasn't hungry. This is doing WONDERS on my tummy both inside and out! I am waking up feeling way less bloaty with a happy hungry tummy. It's still shrinking! Maybe just maybe I can have a flat tummy by the summer!! Wow that would be really WOW. 

Today for M2 I plan on having a tuna sal "sandwich" using a large sweet pepper - red this time - halved and stuffed. SO gooood! Also probably something fatty like coconut oil in my tea and/or some collards fried with bacon bits and pieces.

M3 will be small again - I'll be sure to eat something - like fried kale with a small piece pork belly...

Happy day 10 everyone! xoxb

Hey hlfnn - if you like orange, yellow and red sweet peppers, buy a bag of those to crunch on with tuna and/or salmon salad. I'm assuming you have a fridge in your room - if yes, use that to store some homemade mayo - might be challenging to whip some up with a fork, but I do find that it makes a big dif. 

What if you bought a roast chicken and pickles? And some compliant salami for cold cuts? If you can find those mini sweet peppers like the ones at Trader Joes, they rock. Quick and easy to just munch on with your meals. 

When I went to visit my dad in FL I had just finished up my first W30 and was sticking with it pretty much, allowing a bit of dairy but even that was minimal. I went out to breakfast a few times and made sure my eggs and meat were cooked in compliant oil (in FL they had olive oil, no coconut oil) and a fruit cup with unsweetened fruit only. Sometimes a side salad instead. I have no problem telling the waiter that i'm "allergic" to soy and dairy so please make sure to make foods with olive oil and leave dairy out...

i don't like peppers but the mayo is a great idea.  you think i can make it just with a fork, really?  and the chicken is also great!  i totally forgot that i did that last time.  my room fridge froze everything but now that i know i can use the microwave that's not a problem.  yay!!! i feel like i can totally do this- well, i did already but now it seems less stressful.  the big thing is going to be not eating/ snacking/ drinking/smoking with all my friends.  even though i rarely drink they have these big parties at night and there's always a choclate fountain and hershey's minatures (my weakness!)

Whew!  I just read through all the posts I have missed.  So glad everyone is doing well!

I had meant to post an update here everyday, but missed the last four or five days.  I'm still on track though!  Yesterday I made my own mayo and its not bad.  I got it to set right but I wasn't able to find light mayo so I substituted some of the olive oil with ghee and coconut oil.  Like I said, its not bad, but its not great either.  I'll eat through this batch and then try it with the light tasting olive oil (which I was able to find this morning at another store).

Yesterday was an amazing day for me and I'm sure the wonderful weather had something to do with it.  I had energy throughout the day and couldn't believe how well I was doing.  Then I didn't sleep well last night and woke up this morning with awful cramps so its been a roller coaster for me.

I was able to make a batch of chocolate chili - if you haven't made this yet, I highly recommend it!

Personal win for me yesterday.  I was leading a group of girl scouts on a night (more like dusk after the time change) hike and we always roast marshmallows after a night hike.  I can usually be found holding the marshmallow bag for the participants and occasionally popping one in my mouth or roasting one to golden perfection.  Last night, however, I was not tempted to eat one!  Sure I thought about it, but I didn't have a craving or a need to have one.

Hi everyone !  It sounds like things are moving along well for most of you.  Me?  Not so much.  This is technically day 16 for me (although I had an eggroll Saturday night, so it could just be day 3?) and I'm not feeling any benefits yet.  I am super bloated today, my skin does NOT glow -- in fact I look a little pale today -- and my pants are NOT loose.  I haven't stepped on the scale, but I would be totally surprised if I had lost an ounce.  Could it be that one eggroll really undid all my progress?  Not that I was feeling extreme energy or light on my feet before the slip up, but it's possible I am just now getting to the tired stage.  I do plan to do this, for the most part, way past 30 days.  As someone who has dieted and lost and gained weight all my life -- since I was about 13 -- I now know that there is no quick fix, so I'm committed to eating this way long term.  For the past several years, regardless of my effort, I have not been able to take any weight off except 10 lbs when I did South Beach for about 4 months.  I do, however, manage to put on a few pounds every couple of months, and I'm hoping to stop that trend right now before it gets any worse.  I am currently 50 lbs overweight, and can't afford another yo-yo diet which just puts the pounds on in the end.  I KNOW this is the right way to treat my body.  My husband works at a cancer center, and people have beaten cancer eating this way.  I would just like to see some results for once in my life....Rambling, I know, but frustrated.  I'll just keep on keeping on I guess, and know that I am healing on the inside.  I do think I have some food allergies, as blood tests revealed some sort of allergy, but I just don't know what food.  It could also be the extreme pollen season we are in right now, although there are no symptoms like one would expect, ie coughing, sneezing, runny eyes.  Sorry to be such a buzz kill to all of you wonderful people who are doing and feeling great ~!

• Administrators

I would just like to see some results for once in my life....Rambling, I know, but frustrated.  

Tough love, inbound.  If you want to see results, especially with the Whole30, you have to actually DO the Whole30.  There is no room for slip ups of egg rolls.  The reason that there is No Room for an egg roll/chocolate/pancake/whatever your thing is, is because while there is a "no" list for foods to help with gut healing there is also a huge amount of mental and emotional healing that comes with the program.  When you commit to really doing it.  Commit to turning down your old foods because you decided you would.  Commit to knowing that it might not feel good and it might be emotionally painful and it might just plain suck.  Commit to changing your behaviours surrounding food.

Did the egg roll make you feel awful this many days later? Maybe.  Probably not. What you have completely missed out on by choosing to eat off plan though is being able to look at your clean slate and tweak and make changes based on how you're feeling.  You've tainted your reset in both body and spirit, unfortunately.

I hope you will consider your Day One as the day after the egg roll so that you can do the program and reap the benefits. Nothing in an egg roll is going to make you feel better, ease the eventual guilt/pain or hold your hand as you forge a new path for yourself.  The only thing that will do that is your will and your commitment to yourself.

Hi everyone !  It sounds like things are moving along well for most of you.  Me?  Not so much.  This is technically day 16 for me (although I had an eggroll Saturday night, so it could just be day 3?) and I'm not feeling any benefits yet.  I am super bloated today, my skin does NOT glow -- in fact I look a little pale today -- and my pants are NOT loose.  I haven't stepped on the scale, but I would be totally surprised if I had lost an ounce.  Could it be that one eggroll really undid all my progress?  Not that I was feeling extreme energy or light on my feet before the slip up, but it's possible I am just now getting to the tired stage.  I do plan to do this, for the most part, way past 30 days.  As someone who has dieted and lost and gained weight all my life -- since I was about 13 -- I now know that there is no quick fix, so I'm committed to eating this way long term.  For the past several years, regardless of my effort, I have not been able to take any weight off except 10 lbs when I did South Beach for about 4 months.  I do, however, manage to put on a few pounds every couple of months, and I'm hoping to stop that trend right now before it gets any worse.  I am currently 50 lbs overweight, and can't afford another yo-yo diet which just puts the pounds on in the end.  I KNOW this is the right way to treat my body.  My husband works at a cancer center, and people have beaten cancer eating this way.  I would just like to see some results for once in my life....Rambling, I know, but frustrated.  I'll just keep on keeping on I guess, and know that I am healing on the inside.  I do think I have some food allergies, as blood tests revealed some sort of allergy, but I just don't know what food.  It could also be the extreme pollen season we are in right now, although there are no symptoms like one would expect, ie coughing, sneezing, runny eyes.  Sorry to be such a buzz kill to all of you wonderful people who are doing and feeling great ~!

Thank you for your honesty. I know it's hard when you read everyone noticing such great changes. Stay strong, you WILL get there. I would start counting Day 1 after your egg roll incident. Whole30 is not easy, but trust me after you finish you will be so proud of yourself. It's not just about changing your eating habits but your relationship with food. Babysteps, losing weight does not happen over night. You didn't get 50lbs overweight in one night, so shedding the lbs will take some time. Your efforts and hard work will pay off. Being honest with not only yourself but with others is a good way to stay accountable. I'm all about writing goals (SMART goals). Each week I set a small goal for myself, this helps to remind myself that I AM making progress. 

For myself, I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. I also enjoy sharing and educating others on how to make healthier eating choices. Please keep posting and let the members here provide you inspiration and feedback, that's why we have this group. I've found for myself posting my meals on the facebook group and instagram really helps me to stay compliant and also helps me to remember what I've been eating. Stay strong and stay compliant :)

• Administrators

I love it !  Good cop bad cop.  Thanks, guys, for the advice.  I am starting over.  Lesson learned.  Hopefully, I will be the only one in the forum to have to start from the beginning again.  Why am I not surprised ? :).

You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last.  My final suggestion about your start over is to take a few minutes and think back on the events of The Egg Roll Incident.  Learn something from it.  Were you ravenously hungry (therefore leading to weakened decision making), were you upset or bored or feeling pressured? Celebrating? Figure out what the circumstances surrounding your cause for restart and make some decisions about how you will go if that crops up again.  (emergency purse food, having yummy things available so you don't feel deprived, making sure you are eating enough at all meals etc).

:)

Good Morning, Happy Hump day and Happy Day 11. How is everyone feeling today? 

I woke up with a lot of energy and feel great this morning. I got home late last night, but had planned ahead and prepped (well my boyfriend did) dinner. Made a simple meal- baked chicken with sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions. While that was cooking I ate a bowl of Golden Cauliflower soup (recipe from Well Fed). It was a great appetizer that held me over until dinner was ready. I've noticed having pre-made soups or meals is extremely helpful and a huge time saver.

I'm curious, what is in your freezer or fridge that you make a big batch of? 

Good morning! I also like making big batches of soup - love cream of celery, and also butternut squash soup. The butternut squash soup is especially easy to make with frozen squash which is already cubed :D

I also usually have a big batch of roasted veggies - sweet potatoes, broccoli, zucchini are my favorites. Chopped in squares, drizzled with a coconut oil/ ghee mix and baked at 415 for 30min.

Well I'm feeling awful.  Woke up in the middle of the night with an awful headache, which is really unusual for me.  Even when I do get headaches, most of the time they're more nuisance headaches than pain headaches... except for last night.  Tossed and turned and didn't sleep much after that.  So I'm just generally feeling exhausted, grouchy, foggy, and overall icky.  And I have a weird taste in my mouth that no amount of flossing, brushing, tongue scraping, or waterpik-ing seems to get rid of. 

Otherwise though, okay.  Food has been pretty decent.  There's not a Whole Foods in my area, but SO had an appointment up near DC on Monday, so I went along with him and picked up some of the stuff I hadn't been able to get locally.  I finally have coconut aminos and sugar free bacon and some compliant packaged stuff, which really cuts out any food boredom issues.

I am finding myself really confused about starches.  I know a lot of this adjustment is supposed to be about learning to burn fat for fuel, but then people talk about making sure to eat enough starchy vegetables.  Isn't the discomfort about the body objecting to the change?  How is it possible to know how much starch to eat while your body is adjusting to burning fat for fuel? I've been worrying a lot about whether I'm eating too much or too little starch. 

Hellooo Everyone! What a wonderful set of posts this morning! 

I have to say, ladyshanny and carmen are right on about the psychological strengthening this program does for us. And love sunshinestate's "good cop bad cop"  :D

However, as a very psychologically-minded person, I don't fully buy the idea of starting over after just one eff-up as I believe it's a set up for failure. I'd like to see a more creative and beneficial approach, like one eff up, add one week to the program, not a whole new 30 days. It just sounds more realistic to me.

Many people  just get too overwhelmed with and also focused on the idea of having to be perfect. I've seen it with the families I work with as well as with some of my own loved ones - and a little in myself too. There's a tendency to start over and start over, building shame feeding on shame until that becomes a habit in itself..

That said, the rules are the rules. I'm committed to doing the Whole30 as imperfect as it is. ;)

I often listen to Thich Nhat Hanh, who says that when we are feeling pain, the paradox lies in that the path to joy and nonsuffering is in being with the pain instead of running away from it. Hold yourself in the pain like a mother would hold a hurt child, and let it pass like a cloud, knowing that it will pass. We are all clouds, there is a cloud in the rain, a cloud in my coffee. I am an imperfect human being and love myself for it.

OK enough deep stuff. I'm sticking with it - even if I wholly disagree with the rule of starting completely over - because that's what it is right now. I've committed to this program for the time being.  

Yesterday I had a full M1 and M2 and a very small M3 at 5 p.m. and nothing after work but for some rooibos tea. This is what I wanted to do on my first W30 as I intuitively knew my gut does better when I eat very lightly in the evening. But my habits of night-time grazing, filling a little hole there, were pretty jelled. Now, with my second W30, it's getting easier to change that. I feel SO MUCH better in the mornings when I eat lightly or nothing at all after 6 p.m. I'm going to try for that from now on as it's working for me. I think my SIBO is finally going away!

Happy Day 11 and Day 1! Keep on, keep it simple, one day at a time. xoxb

• Administrators

However, as a very psychologically-minded person, I don't fully buy the idea of starting over after just one eff-up as I believe it's a set up for failure. I'd like to see a more creative and beneficial approach, like one eff up, add one week to the program, not a whole new 30 days. It just sounds more realistic to me.

Many people  just get too overwhelmed with and also focused on the idea of having to be perfect. I've seen it with the families I work with as well as with some of my own loved ones - and a little in myself too. There's a tendency to start over and start over, building shame feeding on shame until that becomes a habit in itself..

I think sometimes people see starting over as punishment or that their flub up was a moral failing.  It's not.  But the Whole30, above all else, is an elimination diet designed to tell you how your body reacts to certain foods and in order to do that you have to have a clean slate.  The slate is clean at 30 days.  So eating dairy at Day 20, even if by accident, doesn't give your body enough time to clean the slate in the last 10 days.

No one is denying that it is hard and the rules are strict.  Of course people always have the choice whether to restart or not because we're all adults in charge of ourselves. Unfortunately if they make the decision not to restart after one of the major gut-disruptors, they have not done a Whole30.  

I know you know this....but it bears mentioning because I've seen a few declarations lately from people stating that in their opinion a restart is unnecessary or that they are going to do the Whole30 but not ask the questions/read the labels because that's too detailed/fussy.  Not a Whole30 then.  ;)

Imaginary Whole 30's abound, Lady Shanny.   It ain't over until the canary sings in the coal mine.  The canary had a willingness to experience life's dangers without compromise.  An authentic Whole 30 is without compromise.

canary in a coal mine is an advanced warning of some danger. The metaphor originates from the times when miners used to carry caged canaries while at work; if there was any methane or carbon monoxide in the mine, the canary would die before the levels of the gas reached those hazardous to humans.

Hi Everyone,

Saw the best documentary last night, it's called That Sugar Film.

ThatSugarFilm_poster_d809010165d2eaac8c1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaWekLrilY

It's an Aussie film about the hidden sugars found in so called 'healthy foods'. Quite funny and a real eye opener with guest appearances by Hugh Jackman and Stephen Fry. It's a little like Super Size me, the main character goes from a healthy diet to eating 40 teaspoons of sugar a day - the results are scary. It's doing the rounds here in Australia at the moment and I hear it's bound for international cinemas later this year.     

I did find this Review also http://foodwatch.com.au/reviews/item/film-review-that-sugar-film.html which was a little harsh but gives an honest opinion I suppose. I do recommend you go see it if you can. Dallas and Melissa are spot on with their explanation of how sugar really messes you up - it's addictive quality & ability to bring a sudden rush of energy followed up an inevitable slump, needing another shot of 'pick me up' is not a roller coaster ride I really want to go on again for a while... ^_^

Hi Everyone,

Saw the best documentary last night, it's called That Sugar Film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaWekLrilY

It's an Aussie film about the hidden sugars found in so called 'healthy foods'. Quite funny and a real eye opener with guest appearances by Hugh Jackman and Stephen Fry. It's a little like Super Size me, the main character goes from a healthy diet to eating 40 teaspoons of sugar a day - the results are scary. It's doing the rounds here in Australia at the moment and I hear it's bound for international cinemas later this year.     

I did find this Review also http://foodwatch.com.au/reviews/item/film-review-that-sugar-film.html which was a little harsh but gives an honest opinion I suppose. I do recommend you go see it if you can. Dallas and Melissa are spot on with their explanation of how sugar really messes you up - it's addictive quality & ability to bring a sudden rush of energy followed up an inevitable slump, needing another shot of 'pick me up' is not a roller coaster ride I really want to go on again for a while... ^_^

Thanks for sharing! Isn't it amazing how when you start paying close attention to food labels you realize EVERYTHING has sugar in it. It's sad that in companies believe in order for food to taste "good," they add chemicals and sugar. It sure is a real eye opener. 

Day 12!! Woohoo! How is everyone feeling today? This morning I made monkey salad topped with drizzled coconut milk. It was delicious, a good compliment to my veggie omelette. :)  

Well, I'm feeling a whole lot better than yesterday.  Certainly not "boundless energy," but no sudden middle-of-the-night headaches last night. 

Made a blueberry-kale frittata for breakfast, and also fried up some fresh coconut and half a plantain to go with it. 

Have a little bit of chocolate chili left, going to have that for lunch along with some veggies and something else with protein, I don't think it's quite a full meal's worth of chili that's left over. 

Haven't decided on dinner yet.  Preferably something with bacon since I finally have sugar-free bacon. 

And definitely have to get some gardening done, now that it's finally warm and not raining. 

I'm not having any particular cravings but I did have a weird dream last night in which I had to start over because I ate something that had a forbidden ingredient...  don't remember what it was, but something really absurd.  The whole dream was really strange, I think I was on an airplane.  I rarely remember dreams at all. 

Hey All

Thank you, Ladyshanny and MeadowLilly for your replies to my overzealous rebuke to the restart rule. I can get a little passionate.

I do keep reminding myself that the reason I'm doing this is to 1. clear the gut and 2. do the elimination so that I'm very clear on what foods affect me right now. In Feb I found that anything made with almond flour did not settle well with my gut. Also, too much yogurt hurt and I have a tendency to eat a lot of that stuff. But a little, like a cup a day, was fine.

But the sugar - Leac and Carmen it is SO TRUE about sugar and how it is everywhere! In Feb when I had a bit in a Thai coconut soup, I could really taste it - and right away felt gross and queasy. I love Tom Kha Thai soup and if it's made right, with just a tiny bit of sugar, it can be very good. I'm going to try again in April at a really good Thai place here in Portland.

This morning I feel really good. My tummy really does like the small dinners. I also had ginger tea before bed and that just felt right. My meals are about the same today - meatloaf, eggs and 1/2 cup acorn squash for M1, M2 tuna sal in 1/2 large yellow pepper and some bacon bits and pieces and M3 - dunno yet. 

Happy Day 12 everyone! xoxb

But the sugar - Leac and Carmen it is SO TRUE about sugar and how it is everywhere!

I so agree! There is so much sugar in EVERYTHING. I was really shocked at a lot of the chicken broths I usually buy, as well as certain meats, like rotisserie chicken at most grocery stores. LeaC I will have to see that documentary! That's so interesting, a lot of the people I follow on instagram are from Australia, it seems like perhaps this sugar awareness is definitely something there - or maybe that's just the people I'm exposed to haha :)

Happy Day 12!! I'm feeling generally pretty good. Since I've tried to add many more starchy veggies, I find my workouts have been a bit easier than they were for round 1. I also am feeling good in my food prep and routines now - I feel like I have a lot more ideas this time!

• Administrators

I love Tom Kha Thai soup and if it's made right, with just a tiny bit of sugar, it can be very good. I'm going to try again in April at a really good Thai place here in Portland.

Have you ever tried making your own? This one that was linked in an old Whole9 post is SO good!  http://www.foodrenegade.com/tom-kha-gai-thai-coconut-soup/

One of my favourite things to make if feeling down or like my body is fighting off anything from cold to flu to period upset.  :)

• Administrators

Hey ladyshanny this recipe looks RAD. Have you tried making it with beef bone broth? Methinks I will attempt bbb as a sub - will keep you posted. :)

I've not done it with beef but have done with pork, chicken and turkey and all with great results!

Archived