STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you're feeling better Maggidoll!

I so agree! There is so much sugar in EVERYTHING. I was really shocked at a lot of the chicken broths I usually buy, as well as certain meats, like rotisserie chicken at most grocery stores. LeaC I will have to see that documentary! That's so interesting, a lot of the people I follow on instagram are from Australia, it seems like perhaps this sugar awareness is definitely something there - or maybe that's just the people I'm exposed to haha :)

Wow, I can't believe supermarket rotisserie chicken has 'stuff' added to it! It's not like the bag it comes in has a list of ingredients...I don't know whether sugar awareness is any bigger here than in other countries? Have you all see a Youtube clip from UCTV by Dr Robert Lutsig called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth"? Now that's 89 minutes of very interesting viewing - treat yourself... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Having said that, unless you make ALL your food (like we are doing now), it's practically impossible to totally avoid sugar, sadly.

Happy day 13 everyone! xx

Hola y'all! 

Haven't been able to keep up with the posts lately. I hope everyone is doing well. 

Spring allergies have hit me really hard, right about the same time as my hard days on the Whole30. Let's just say I haven't been the most pleasant person lately.  :ph34r: My poor family...luckily my energy is back!! Whoop whoop.

• Administrators

Stupid Easy Paleo, Nom Nom Paleo and The Clothes Make The Girl all have lots of awesome recipes. You can also google whatever item you're trying to make, for example "Whole30 shepherds pie" and you should get lots of results.

Can someone help me with links for recipes on this forum?  Having a hard time finding recipes easily.  Slow cooker food works well for me, I'm not a cook.  

Feeling really good on day 12!!

Have you tried Pinterest? It is my FAVORITE. If you search "Whole30 Slow Cooker" on there, I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff! I love it because you can save the recipes you want to make to "boards" when you want to remember a recipe but don't want to make it right away :)

I also like the previous suggestions of Nom Nom Paleo, Stupid Easy Paleo, The Clothes Make the Girl, and I also love Against All Grain (a lot of non-Whole30 but you can omit sugar in her recipes), and Planks, Love, and Guacamole (lots of great dips/dressings).

Happy day 13 everyone! And happy Friday!

• Administrators

Help.....is corned beef compliant?

You'd have to read the ingredients list or ask the butcher what they used.

Here's a thread that discussed making your own compliant corned beef, if you're interested:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25762-st-pattys-day-corned-beef-and-cabbage/?hl=corned

Happy Friday to all! So far all is well. I am going to need extra willpower.Tonight I am taking my granddaughter to movies to see Cinderella. I am a popcorn junkie!! HELP! I know it is going to be difficult from the moment I smell that lovely aroma! However,I am prepared. I brought kale chips, mixed raw nuts mixed with unsweetened coconut, and water. I can do this! Have a great night

• Administrators

Hey Pyrotek, that sounds like it will be a different experience for you.  I would add slightly to your upcoming challenge and remind you that Whole30 is as much about changing what we eat as it is changing our habits and emotions surrounding food.  Mindless hand-to-mouth snacking is not in keeping with the spirit of changing those habits, even if the foods are compliant.  I would challenge you instead to eat a proper balanced meal and take your water bottle with you and remind yourself that you do not need "snacks" to enjoy the movie with your granddaughter.  :)

Hit the 2 week/half way mark - well done to all of us! :D You know, even though I've only just completed my first W30 in Jan, this time around I'm not finding it any easier - but I do push through the dark moments...

Pyrotek, when I went to the movies the other night, I had a meal with my friend beforehand: bunless lamb burger with bacon, avo, letuce, tomato + sweet & white potato fries + a BYO bottle of Kombucha. I was so full when we sat down in the theatre that I didn't even think about movie treat food - that's just a habit we get into, isn't it!

Janeroyal, I concur with the other suggestions on finding W30 recipes - let's just say 'Google' is really your best friend here. All you have to do is type in a recipe you think you'd ike to make and put W30 in front of it and oila! you've found yourself a variety of compliant recipes...You can also look up recipes ideas (maybe slow cooker recipes to start with), and adjust the ingredient list to make the recipe compliant? The Whole30 website has a host of recipes and ideas as well http://whole30.com/category/recipes/

Meal update: Last night for M3 we had panfried salmon with crispy skin, prawns (shrimp), squid, mushrooms cooked in ghee, cucumber sticks, 'Life in a Jar' (fermented cabbabe & carrot). I made 2 dipping sauces - a faux tartare sauce & a faux seafood sauce. Tartare was mayo with capers, lemon juice, S&P, dill mixed in. Seafood was mayo, tobasco (just a couple of drops as it's not officially compliant), tomato paste, balsamic, S&P mixed. Both were tasty, but the seafood sauce was devine. Will be making that one again! I'm picturing a prawn (shrimp) cocktail of lettuce, prawns & seafood sauce....Mmmmmm.

Getting back to my comment on still always looking deeper in yourself to push through the times you want to cave... there have been many trips home from work where I'm picturing ordering take-away and settling down to a glass of red wine (or two)! I'm tired, it's late and I STILL have to cook hubby and I a compliant dinner, as well as feed my teenagers.... :wacko:  I mentally shake my head and scold myself for not having a compliant meal ready to go, but those are the times I get creative when I walk in the door. Such times have brought me the amazing pork chops with sliced apple, topped with the slowly melting, buttery pumpkin fat bomb, and others - I can't recall now. I also now look forward to my substitute drinks of choice - kombucha or sparkling water with fresh lime juice!

Cheers.jpg xx

Thanks for all the wonderful comments ladies.  I'll start googling, pinteresting and checking out the wonderful cookbooks you recommended!!

BUT

It has to be Friday the 13th, right??

I have to start over :( 

Made a beautiful tuna salad for lunch today.  No, I've never checked my labels on tuna.  About an hour after eating, I started getting really bloated and uncomfortable.  For some reason I checked the trash, looked at the label and saw there was SOY in my tuna.  Aaaagggghhhhh.  

Disappointed in myself, but ready to start again tomorrow.  And, when I'm done I'll be one step ahead of the game because I already know SOY doesn't agree with me!

I'm still hanging with you guys in this group - hope you don't mind.

Keep up the good work. 

well I survived!! We went for pizza first

I had the spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and shrimp. While at the theater, I had my water and a few kale chips. I was full from dinner. I Really understand that we are to change our relationship with food, I just wanted some compliant smacks in case I became weak. I really don"t feel like starting over. Now on to starting my workout routine. I plan on starting Sunday. Have a great night. Thank you for the support. A few weeks as go I would have handled it differently.

I have to start over :(

Made a beautiful tuna salad for lunch today.  No, I've never checked my labels on tuna.  About an hour after eating, I started getting really bloated and uncomfortable.  For some reason I checked the trash, looked at the label and saw there was SOY in my tuna.  Aaaagggghhhhh.  

Disappointed in myself, but ready to start again tomorrow.  And, when I'm done I'll be one step ahead of the game because I already know SOY doesn't agree with me!

I'm still hanging with you guys in this group - hope you don't mind.

Awwww, Janeroyal - what a complete bummer!!! BUT - hey! Like you said, you were able to identify immediately that you have an issue with soy and you're getting back on the horse. You know why you have to start again right? It's not a race to see who gets there first, you have to re-set your gut from this slip - unfortunately! :rolleyes:  You'll be fine, ride along with us, this is a fun and supportive thread!

Today for M2 I just happened upon an amazing place called "Flame N Chooks" Lebanese Cuisine. I posted about this on the 'Sourcing Food in Australia' thread.

So convenient, these guys are open 7 days, they offer gorgeous homemade Lebanese food without added sugar, gluten, other nasties. Even their tabouli is gluten free (no cracked wheat)! They have grilled fish, butterflied grilled chicken with lemon & fresh locally grown herbs - a Whole30er's gourmet delight!

I bought enough food there today for lunch AND dinner, and next time I'm doing a Macca's run for my teenagers, our nearby take-away option will be this place!!! :D Happy Days!

Last post for today - promise!!!

Just created & made THE best frittata for dinner - recipe below if you're interested:

Best Ever Frittata

• Fry in coconut oil 100gm of pork & veal minced meat until browned. Set aside.
  • Fry in coconut oil 1 onion finely diced, 3 chopped rashers of bacon, 1 cup of sliced mushrooms & half cup of chopped kale
  • Beat 8 eggs, half cup of coconut milk, s&p
  • Thinly slice 1 large potato
  • Line a pan with foil, grease with coconut  oil
  • Lay slices of potato on the bottom, add the onion mixture and the mince & sprinkle with nutritional yeast
  • Pour the egg mixture on top, then sprinkle with more nutritional yeast & LSA (linseed, sesame, almond meal)
  • Bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes or until golden

At the 2 week mark I'm seeing some really unhealthy ways I've related to food in the past. The discipline of W30 has caused me to be confronted with how I've been using food to "reward" myslef - for working out, for having a bad day, for feeling misunderstood, for having a hard job, etc. These cheats in my previous eating were undermining my efforts to get leaner, but in reality food was simply the place where some internal issues were being played out. While I haven't stepped off the W30 path, I have seen myself trying to bend the rules because I deserve...(fill in the blank). This insight has been worth the price of admission and has caused me to really examine the way I understand food in my life. So far I'm discovering that at each meal I need to savor and enjoy what is before me with thanks and then set aside food until my next meal (which has been planned out). In additiion I'm discovering that thinking about my meals beforehand helps me set quality decisions that if I were making decisions on the spot would make more rash/poor decisions.

At the 2 week mark I'm seeing some really unhealthy ways I've related to food in the past. The discipline of W30 has caused me to be confronted with how I've been using food to "reward" myslef - for working out, for having a bad day, for feeling misunderstood, for having a hard job, etc.

Good for you SamWheat, my husband is having the very same realisations about his relationship with food as a 'reward'. He is an avid gym goer but stuggles to lose any significant amounts of weight because he justifies eating garbage as OK because he's done 3 sweaty workouts that week.

We had a chat yesterday afternoon about 'food' and how mindlessly we were consuming it. He's now starting to realise that the more of that high carb processed food you eat, the more you crave it and the worse you feel. Finally he's starting to feel some of the benefits of the W30 (or at least his version of it). His observations so far are 'just generally feeling better/healthier'! :)

Wish I could get my teenage boys on board but that would be like putting an old head on young shoulders....they are very independent and more than a little narrow minded about food. As described by in "That Sugar Film" I suspect they are TOFI (Thin on the Outside and Fat on the Inside) - not a healthy place to be because they can't see the damage they are doing to their bodies, and they so continue to eat poorly.

It would be an easier lesson for them to learn if they could see on the outside what the damage of eating poorly was doing to them ie: if they were fat! it's like skin cancer. When you're young and you ignore what the sun is doing to your body because 'hey, it's just a sunburn, it will pass', you don't think about what could surface 20 years down the track from your actions as a child or adolescent! A TOFI adoloscent thinks they can get away with eating mountains of highly processed food because 'they don't put on weight'. THAT'S why my kids need to see That Sugar Film!

Happy Sunday folks!

Leanne xx

Hey All Happy half-way-through!

And keep on Janeroyal - just get right back on track and keep on.You are learning and that is success - as leaC  says now you know for sure that soy just does not agree with you. 

I think reading labels is the hardest part actually - my 50-year-old eyesight needs reading glasses to see the tiny print - squinting helps a bit. I don't bring my reading glasses to the store. But once I did ask a cute guy standing close by if the tuna can said packed in water or oil. :) (I buy my tuna packed in water.) He was probably 15 years my junior so I guess I was cougering a bit. ... but I digress.  

Pyrotech GOOD FOR YOU for making sure you are compliant at a movie with compliant movie munchies - you set yourself up well and it sounds like it worked. I did same last night after reading yours and leaC's posts, so thank you!

I ate a late large fatty M2 at around 5 bec my breakfast was so late yest morning. It kept me satisfied through the rest of the evening. My "M3" was a couple handfuls of home roasted filberts and the rest of my dried apple while watching Back To The Future and wow it was fun!! I felt I was in a little time capsule myself watching it again on the big screen - except this time I didn't have a big bucket of popcorn and a giant coke (eeeyuuuccchh) in my lap..

I also kept in mind Ladyshanny's advice, re, "Mindless hand-to-mouth snacking is not in keeping with the spirit of changing those habits," and I did notice two very magnetic temptations - wine and chocolate. This is a theatre that serves libations and food and I almost broke my w30 with a glass of wine - and then thought well, if I'm going to have wine, I might as well have some choc covered almonds. Had another conversation with myself about why/why not I might indulge in those dark choc covered almonds. My little sneaky ego almost won. 

Then I asked myself my go-to, default question - why are you doing this? And my default answer - to heal and get my life back and IT"S WORKING. So why consume something I KNOW is just BAD for my gut at present? It won't always be like this. And the wine and choc will be there tomorrow and the next day. And who knows, even if I never could have another drop of wine or choc, compared to how I'm feeling now, that would be just fiiiine. 

Fortunately, it's looking like in a few weeks, I'll be able to indulge in the occasional treat. But mayan they are big hooks into old bad habits - so after this second w30, i'm sticking with a new reintro forum to stay on track. Am thinking of starting up a meetup group for w30ers here in Portland.

Today I've got a new crock pot filled with beef spare ribs - left out the fish sauce as I wasn't sure about it's ings. And used coconut oil instead of aminos just cuz that's what I had. Also, sun-dried tomatoes and beef bone broth instead of chicken broth. Lots of salt and pepper and a couple of bay leaves. Had a taste this morning and SO GOOD! This will be my M2. M1 was a wonderful breaky of bacon bits and pieces, 1/2 fried celeriac cut into strips and two scrambled eggs. ! cup espresso with coconut oil. Thank you thank you thank you!

xob

bronnyd, you make me laugh out loud!

Wow, will-power saying 'no' to that voice that wanted you to have the wine & chocolate! Sounds like you were nearly on the brink of caving, but I know you now, you're a strong woman!

I agree, the wine & chocolate will always be there, and this strict lifestyle is just another 14 days.

Hubby and I are going to the 'Royal Easter Show' in Sydney on the 29th of March. It's a massive once a year event put on by the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW, when the Country comes to the City! It runs for nearly 2 weeks with close to 900,000 visitors. Lot's of fun things for city dwellers to enjoy things like farm animals, produce, wood-chopping, side-show alley - all sorts of stuff. As kids, (apart from Xmas) it was the highlight of our year with all the fun food, things to see and do! This year we're going (without teenagers - yey), and we've picked the day that the 'French Bulldogs' are being judged because they are so cuuuute! We have a gorgeous Frenchie called 'Dali'. She's the love of our collective lives!

Why am I talking about the Royal Easter Show? (I may have digressed.....) It's because we too will be tested that day! Can you imagine getting to 2 days before the end of our W30, going to a fair and not being able to eat ANY of the fun food! For sure we'll pack our own food (insert super excited & sarcastic emoji here), but maybe we'll be lucky and find some of the fresh produce stalls have compliant food too! Shame the French Bulldogs' show day wasn't in April - sigh...... :huh:

Congratulations everyone! We're over half way there. This weekend was a little challenging for me. I had a funeral on Saturday and was gone all day. I ate a large breakfast before Traveling. After the service everyone went to a friends house who had food catered. I was a little hungry but not starving. I had some salad and added olives sans dressing. I couldn't locate any olive oil and vinegar. They had salmon for bagels so I added that to my salad. It wasn't much food but I didn't want to eat something non-compliant just to eat it. The salmon filled me up. I packed a snack of nuts in my car for afterwards. Later that evening I went out to eat with my sister and mom. I ordered a burger and wrapped it in lettuce. While driving home I found myself wanting a snack, but I realized I was just bored and knew I wasn't "hungry." I avoided the snack and when I got home I went to bed sans snack and felt satisfied.

From this weekend I really became aware of my desire for snacking is more habitual or out of boredom. Last week I was extra tired. I wasn't able to workout as much, but reminded myself to listen to my body and rest. Today I'm looking forward to enjoying the warm weather and going for a long bike ride.

How is everyone feeling? What's one new recipe you found that you have already tried are going to try?

Archived