STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

Today I encountered a challenge. We had a catered lunch at work. I knew in advance there wouldn't be much food compliant to eat. I packed lunch. At the time of the luncheon I wasn't hungry yet, so I ate a salad that they offered (san dressings). They also had fruit so I added a few pieces of the fruit to the salad to not make it dry. I was satisfied and wasn't sitting at the table empty plated. It wasn't until almost an hour after the luncheon that I was finally hungry. I ate my packed lunch and was satisfied. If I was hungry I wouldn't have minded bringing my lunch to the table.

Who's encountered this and what is your strategy? I definitely think that planning ahead is important, not just for the food, but psychology- being surrounded with brownies, cookies, cake, bread- going in with the mindset that I have a delicious meal waiting for me really helped. 

Happy First day of Spring and Day 20! 

WOW... Happy 1st day of Spring to you as well....4 days in... I didn't even realize it....Thanks for reminding me.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here, Carmen! We had a meeting at work and then lunch after. Lunch was to mingle, share ideas. I however could not eat anything they had, save for the baby carrots so I went home (I live just four blocks away) and am now cooking up a nice lunch of sausage and kale with 1/2 orange pepper and some filberts. Then, back to woik.

If I had to stay at work for whatever reason, I would have done exactly what you did, which was pack my own lunch.  

YAY leaC for sticking with it! Only 10ish more days to go. Not long now. YES it is hard - but life is hard sometimes and it's how we meet up with the challenges that make us better people. :) And observing without judgment (and observing our judgments when they will and do crop up) how we default to "old" conditioned thoughts/feelings/behaviors. That's what I'm learning throughout this and other life experiences. 

Keep on everyone! xoxb

Just wanted to piggy back your "how we default to "old" conditioned thoughts/feelings/behaviors"....sentence..... The mantra I repeat is:  "We will always pick what is familiar------ until we develop a new familiar"....

On another topic, when I was part of the Jan 1 W30 forum I raised this question and kirkor gave me the answer, but it still baffles me......

...Where is everybody? So many people posted leading up to and at the beginning of this March 1 thread, and soooo many people were asking for help, support - even buddies!

I HOPE these people are still reading our posts and find them helpful? If you are one of these people, PLEASE check in with us!

If our non-posting friends aren't even reading the posts, I wonder if they are still doing the W30 and if not, what happened?  When I asked this question in January, kirkor suggested that a lot of people start with loads of enthusiasm then feel guilty because they've given up early on and don't want to announce it to the world, they just cut ties with the W30 community.

Please check in guys and let us know why you're not posting - would make for even more interesting reading if you contributed! xx

Hi leaC... I am one of those non-posting friends and non-reading peeps. The last post I read, prior to today (24March2015) was #184.  Timeline Days 6-7 (just wanting to take a nap) really bit me in the tush... I was doing good to prep foods, get to work, and get home without falling asleep along the way.  I decided that the only thing that I could truly focus on was just making good food choices and once I was over the Day 6-7 crazies, I would work on catching up on reading, contributing to the posts, washing clothes, paying bills, balancing the checkbook etc....It's a miracle our water didn't get turned off.  Smiling. 

It's good to know that there are people like you that are truly concerned with the fall-outs.  Thanks for reaching out.  Hopefully, I will be contributing for the remainder of this Whole30 as well as onward...

Where in the WORLD is the spell check button?

Hello everyone...I am still here.I just have not had much time to post. I have been catching up with all the activity. My husband is out of the country, and my work load has doubled.

I see everyone is doing great!! A lot to be proud of, we knew this wasn't going to be easy. I have definitely noticed some positive changes. I am able to tame my hunger. I used to want to eat the house down, now I actually have to force 3 meals. I am finding by M3 I want to eat light as well. I haven't had a craving in sometime now. My skin is glowing and my energy has increased. My joints are still stiff, and I don't feel that I am getting any smaller.

However,I do belive my body has a lot of healing to do. I always have a hard time dropping weight, and I am sure my body will regulate itself. I do love not being addicted to the scale!! Yay.....my inner voice is saying ..don't eat so much protein, cut back the fat, blah,blah,blah. I am not listening! I really want to become smaller. Nothing works, and I want this to be the last thing I do. I can see eating like this a way of life. A healthy life for me.

Once the 30 days are over I plan on doing another 30 days. Now that my ski season has ended, I am starting a new workout plan. I want to see what another 30 days will do along with weight traing, cardio, and some yoga. I wish everyone a healthy night.....Debbie

Hi pyrotek:  I plan on doing another 30 days as well...Decided to do it back to back...onward Whole 60...

Hi all! I am still here! I've been posting as regularly as possible though. I feel like I've had some of the improvements that you guys have had - better nails, psychologically feeling awesome about the food I'm eating, more sustained energy and motivation, better mood. I also feel like I'm not sure if I'm getting smaller, but I'm a healthy weight in general, just had gained a few in February when it was my birthday + went on vacation  :unsure: I'm just interested to see if I lost any weight or if my body changed at all (I took "before" pics) - trying to see this more as objective information rather than let it get at me if I end up NOT losing weight. There are so many other benefits that I am feeling right now!

Today I made almond milk for the first time, it was awesome and really easy. I used the pulp to make "granola" (basically just mixed with nuts/raisins and dried) and it was awesome. Lots more meal prep as well, and got a lot of sleep last night, which was much-needed. 

Happy Day 22 and almost final week everyone!

Hi sarahek211:  I used to make nut milk ALL the time but didn't know what to do with the pulp (I was just throwing it away).  Thanks for the idea of making granola out of it.  I'm going to try that the next time I make a batch of nut milk. 

Anyone have any other ideas on what to do with the pulp that is left over from making nut milk?

Hello all !

I'm on Day 15, and it's finally starting to kick in for me.  I feel wonderful, boundless energy, restless leg symptoms gone, no more hot flashes, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything !  Made cupcakes for son's last basketball game, and they didn't even tempt me.  Now, we have extra cupcakes in the house (!) but I feel like I'm OK with that.

I did make cauliflower mashed potatoes last night, and they were a hit !  Blended in the food processor (my best buy so far this year!) with some garlic and clarified butter.  Have to try almond milk, not sure how that is made, and the granola sounds yummy.  I will use it as a snack (after whole30 of course) or add it to some monkey salad.  

I agree to buy nuts from Costco.  They are still pricey, but better than the grocery store.  I have started making almond butter to spread on apples or celery, and I love it !

Way to go sunshinestate24...way to go...  :D

Can you share your Garden Veggie Meatball recipe? Sounds delightful!

By Golly Gee... I am finally caught up on the thread.. Yippee Hooray... Here's the meatball recipe..  

2 small zucchinis, grated

1 small sweet potato, peeled and grated

4 cups fresh whole-leaf spinach, washed and drained

1 ½ cups or 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained

2 cloves garlic

1 ½ pounds ground turkey

1 pound ground beef

2 eggs

¼ to 1/3 cup almond meal (for NUT ALERGIES, omit the almond meal and use only one egg)

Sea Salt and cracked black pepper to taste

1.       Preheat oven to 375oF.

2.       Grate the zucchini and sweet potato and place into a large mixing bowl.

3.       In a food processor, finely mince the spinach, roasted red peppers, and garlic, and then add this mixture to the grated zucchini and sweet potato.

4.       Add the meat and remaining ingredients to the bowl as well and hand-mix all ingredients.

5.       Form into meatballs, a little bigger than golf-ball size.

6.       Place the meatballs side by side in a 9 x 13 baking dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil.

7.       Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to brown the meatballs.

Make 20 – 25 meatballs.

Cook’s note:  ………These meatballs are great because they are easily portable and you can eat them with your hands (once they are cool).  They’re an entire meal in one little meatball….  (Recipe by Sarah F.)

Whoooooooaaaa Claws!!!! Welcome back to the land of the living!!!

You've certainly been on your own, lonely journey for the past couple of weeks. So glad you've had the strength to continue and come out the other side of a difficult time and re-join us! It's a shame (and so ironic) really that you didn't have the capacity to reach out during that time, or we may have been able to help you feel better about yourself earlier on. Funny how life works!

Hi leaC... I am smiling at your "I do find it odd that people start threads then check out...  :huh:"

Oh and I've been working on uploading a pic since day one... Hadn't gotten there yet; but in due time, in due time indeed.   :ph34r:

LOL! (smiling at my comment)! Re: uploading photos, you can only upload something that's been posted on the internet, like on Facebook. Hence I've had to start posting pictures of food on Facebook (which I hate using), so I can upload them on this thread - sighhhhhh!

Where in the WORLD is the spell check button?

I second that!!!

Anyone have any other ideas on what to do with the pulp that is left over from making nut milk?

You could use it as a topping for a frittata or bake. Dry it out in the oven, mix with some crushed nuts & nutritional yeast and sprinkle away (or use as crumbing)!

I've made this tomato soup before. It was delicious. One time I had leftover meatballs so I put them in my soup for lunch. I like spicy food, so I added a little cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.

I can't believe how much I loved that soup Carmen! It really hit the spot when I felt under the weather, and the leftovers were delicious for lunch today. I have to say the plan is so much easier if you find a couple of recipes you just LOVE :wub:  Sometimes I think I feel overwhelmed because I'm eating food I don't LOVE, forcing it down because its compliant and template format.

Nourishing your body with something comforting, tasty and nutritious - that you LOVE, is the best way to get yourself back on track!

Bronnyd, thanks for the get well wishes! Feel like Tiger Blood again today - sooooo weird! xx

Good morning and Happy day 25! I'm curious what's your plan post Whole30? Yes, I've already read the reintroduction part in the book, just want to hear what everyone here is planning.  :)

I'll admit, I'm nervous for the Whole30 to end because I really like how I feel when eating Whole30 compliant. Last year after I finished my Whole30 I ate paleo pretty much 90/10 which by the end of the year seemed more like 70/30. There are foods that I have yet to eat since I completed my Whole30 last year and I haven't missed them (greek yogurt, milk, pasta, and bread).  I may extended and delay my reintroduction process, but I'm going to San Diego for a wedding next Friday (during reintroduction) so I want to plan ahead so I don't just eat whatever. Suggestions/thoughts? 

Another way to prepare Kale is sautéed in a pan on the stove with coconut oil (or EVOO), add in chopped sweet potatoes (leftover works best since they are softer) add sausage (chop into pieces) add peppers/onions. Super easy and quick meal. Flavor with seasoning of your choicElse, salt, pepper, smoked paprika.

Garlicky Greens Recipe:

2 tsp olive oil

3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced

1 stalk celery or 1/2 of a green or red bell pepper, chopped

1 bunch of kale or collard greens

1/4 cup water

1/8 tsp salt

In a large skillet, saute the garlic and celery or green pepper in the olive oil until tender.  Wash greens (kale or collards or both) well and remove tough stems.  Stack leaves and cut into 1/2 inch strips.  Add water and seasonings to skillet.  Add cut greens (kale or collards or both), cover and bring to a boil.  When the steam starts to rise from the pan, remove the lid for a minute and then replace it.  (This releases the volatile chemicals so the greens are not bitter.)  Simmer about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Recipe courtesy of LLUMC

Side note:  You could add 1 tsp Bakon seasoning when you add the water; HOWEVER, BEWARE as  I don't know if it is Whole30 or even Paleo compliant.

Good morning and Happy day 25! I'm curious what's your plan post Whole30? Yes, I've already read the reintroduction part in the book, just want to hear what everyone here is planning.  :)

I'll admit, I'm nervous for the Whole30 to end because I really like how I feel when eating Whole30 compliant. Last year after I finished my Whole30 I ate paleo pretty much 90/10 which by the end of the year seemed more like 70/30. There are foods that I have yet to eat since I completed my Whole30 last year and I haven't missed them (greek yogurt, milk, pasta, and bread).  I may extended and delay my reintroduction process, but I'm going to San Diego for a wedding next Friday (during reintroduction) so I want to plan ahead so I don't just eat whatever. Suggestions/thoughts? 

My plan post March 1st Whole30 is to extend and delay the reintroduction process. 

I will have to think about suggestions/thoughts on your wedding inquiry piece.  I have a wedding mid-April to attend so I am looking forward to the replies you receive.  

Happy Day 25 to all.

Nut pulp makes great crumbing, as it's drier than almond meal, but be careful not to burn it :)

Whoooooooaaaa Claws!!!! Welcome back to the land of the living!!!

You've certainly been on your own, lonely journey for the past couple of weeks. So glad you've had the strength to continue and come out the other side of a difficult time and re-join us! It's a shame (and so ironic) really that you didn't have the capacity to reach out during that time, or we may have been able to help you feel better about yourself earlier on. Funny how life works!

LOL! (smiling at my comment)! Re: uploading photos, you can only upload something that's been posted on the internet, like on Facebook. Hence I've had to start posting pictures of food on Facebook (which I hate using), so I can upload them on this thread - sighhhhhh!

I second that!!!

You could use it as a topping for a frittata or bake. Dry it out in the oven, mix with some crushed nuts & nutritional yeast and sprinkle away (or use as crumbing)!

I can't believe how much I loved that soup Carmen! It really hit the spot when I felt under the weather, and the leftovers were delicious for lunch today. I have to say the plan is so much easier if you find a couple of recipes you just LOVE :wub:  Sometimes I think I feel overwhelmed because I'm eating food I don't LOVE, forcing it down because its compliant and template format.

Nourishing your body with something comforting, tasty and nutritious - that you LOVE, is the best way to get yourself back on track!

Bronnyd, thanks for the get well wishes! Feel like Tiger Blood again today - sooooo weird! xx

Thanks for the pulp suggestions... Very much appreciated...

leaC:  It's really good to be back among the living... Smiling..

Re pics:  No picture upload for me as I don't have a FaceBook page...  :ph34r:

Another Recipe that I like, even though it's not a Kale recipe is:Swiss Chard with Fresh Tomatoes

Swiss Chard with Fresh Tomatoes

1002272.jpg

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 25 Minutes
Servings: 4
This recipe for Swiss chard with onion, and fresh tomato is brightened with lemon juice and makes a perfect vegetarian main dish or a tantalizing side dish for fish or meat."
INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch red Swiss chard, rinsed and
chopped
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced

DIRECTIONS:

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Stir in shallot and green onions; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.Season with salt and pepper; heat through.

Place chard in pan, and cook until wilted. Add tomato slices, squeeze lemon juice over greens, and heat through. Plate, and if needed season with salt and pepper to taste.

Courtesy of Syd,,,Tweeked by CLaws....

Hey all! Claws in a recent post I talked about how I made granola with leftover almond pulp, date paste, coconut oil, raisins, etc. That's another option, although I was reminded that it is borderline SWYPO (I usually eat it as a side dish rather than a main meal!). Crumbs is a great idea! I will have to try that next time!

Carmen, last time I had planned to do everything in a more systematic manner in terms of re-intro, but then I started... er... not doing that so much, and went back to some old habits. This time, I'm planning to do it more systematically, as laid out in the book/whole30 materials. What do you think you'll want to eat at the wedding? If it were me, I might plan to have a few drinks, maybe allow some dairy (like if there is cheese on the salad) because I tend to include some full-fat dairy in my typical diet, but I might avoid the cake, bread, other gluten or grain products if possible. At most weddings some of the entrée choices or buffets include veggies and meat, so hopefully you'll be able to get full on the good stuff :) Maybe if the cake is most important to you to try, you could make that the day you reintroduce gluten, and try and avoid some of the other stuff (dairy, legumes, whatnot). I think it's seeing how your body responds once you start systematic introductions, and going from there!

Hey all! Claws in a recent post I talked about how I made granola with leftover almond pulp, date paste, coconut oil, raisins, etc. That's another option, although I was reminded that it is borderline SWYPO (I usually eat it as a side dish rather than a main meal!). Crumbs is a great idea! I will have to try that next time!

Carmen, last time I had planned to do everything in a more systematic manner in terms of re-intro, but then I started... er... not doing that so much, and went back to some old habits. This time, I'm planning to do it more systematically, as laid out in the book/whole30 materials. What do you think you'll want to eat at the wedding? If it were me, I might plan to have a few drinks, maybe allow some dairy (like if there is cheese on the salad) because I tend to include some full-fat dairy in my typical diet, but I might avoid the cake, bread, other gluten or grain products if possible. At most weddings some of the entrée choices or buffets include veggies and meat, so hopefully you'll be able to get full on the good stuff :) Maybe if the cake is most important to you to try, you could make that the day you reintroduce gluten, and try and avoid some of the other stuff (dairy, legumes, whatnot). I think it's seeing how your body responds once you start systematic introductions, and going from there!

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely see myself having a glass of wine, cake isn't something that interests me. I am going to pack some snacks for the plane and while I'm there. I'm going to write out my plan of action and then go from there on what I need to do to prepare for reintroduction. 

sarahek211:  Oh yeah... I remember reading that post.  Thanks for the reminder about it and the borderline SWYPO disclaimer.   :rolleyes: 

Carmen, I too was nervous to re-intro food on my first W30 because you're then sort of 'riding your own bike'! I did the re-intro template pretty much to plan ie: each food group per the recommendations, but I did it in about half the time ie: One day on/new food group, one day off/back on W30. I also mixed in wine with reintros that week so there was a cross contamination concern. I started to notice joint stiffness start to return and couldn't pinpoint why. I think this time around I'll take LadyShanny's advice and do longer breaks between new foods.

So looking forward to Day 30 - nearly there guys! :D

Happy Day 26! How is everyone feeling? After work yesterday I went straight to the gym and had a great workout. Sometimes I will come home and unpack, take my time then go to the gym or for a run. I had the energy and motivation. I found myself excited and pumped to workout WITHOUT having to have a cup of tea in the afternoon (caffeine boost). Yay! To me that is progress. 

What's one thing (or more) you've noticed improvement in? Keep up the great work and keep sharing your experience. 

I think this time around I'll take LadyShanny's advice and do longer breaks between new foods.

So looking forward to Day 30 - nearly there guys! :D

I like the idea of new foods every few days. I am going to try to do that as well. My anniversary is early April and we are going out to dinner at a place where the cheese is amazing - maybe I will plan dairy reintro for that day :)

Yes - nearly day 30!!!

Carmen - that is great about the energy! I've been noticing that I'm fuller much longer after breakfast, which is great. For my workouts also, I did a really hard track workout yesterday (bleachers, ugh!) and although it was really hard, I felt like I could have kept going with my run afterwards, even after 4 miles. Perhaps although my run speed is still a bit slow, my endurance is increasing! Feeling awesome, and great job everyone!

And as ladyshanny, on 10 Mar 2015 - 4:27 PM, said: :you're not the first person that has had to start over and you won't be the last.  

The article "Reset"invites those who find themselves repeatedly starting over to:

"take a good, hard look at what may be blocking or sabotaging the commitment you've made to yourself and the program......See if you can identify your own personal road blocks and find a way to clear them". 

Progress sometimes forces us to take 3 steps forward and 1 or 2 steps back. It is rarely a straight-forward thing.  

In closing,

"The secret of CHANGE is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, BUT on BUILDING the new".... Socrates

Each day holds the potential for something to sidetrack us from our intended purpose.  We all make mistakes.  The hope is that we learn from them; that we change our behavior and attitudes so that we won't repeat the same error.  By doing so, even painful past experiences can help us learn to create a better future.  

Hi All - wellll it's time to fess up - I have fumbled this month's W30 with (gulp) chocolate. Won't go into details, just state that yes I fell off the wagon. ...

OK .... details in a nutshell - I handed out choc kisses to studs again this week and well, let's just say I had a weak moment and ate one. Then I ate two and well, I ate a total of three dark choc kisses. That was yesterday. Last night, I fell asleep at a decent hour, but woke up at 4ish and could not get back to sleep. This has not happened in a while. I attribute it to the three choc kisses. 

I truly appreciate Claws' (are you a cat person? ;) ) encouraging words here and fully understand that this isn't about being perfect or doing it perfectly or success or failure, it's about learning.

I have SIBO and my doc really wants me to eat home made 24 hour yogurt for probiotics as the oregono and antibiotics have disrupted healthy gut flora. Instead of starting over, I've decided to call this a completed Whole25 and get back on track until the end of the month, do a reintro in April and another W30 sometime early -mid summer. That's just more realistic for me right now. This is my second W30 (first one rocked my world) (this one is too actually) I will share that I've learned a TON and still learning. 

I'm learning about my body, what it likes and what it doesn't, I'm learning how I use food more than I ever thought for psychological comfort and -yes- avoidance of uncomfortable feelings and perceptions. Sooooo, although I'm officially out of this month's W30, I'll keep following posts and sharing as well as it keeps me on track. 

Sorry guys. Me ego liked to think "Hey I'm a leader in W30!" and well, that's ego. I'm feeling SO much better this year since starting W30 in Jan, which I did complete. It's interesting - the first time around, I felt more desperate and willing to go to any lengths to heal the gut and start a new diet regimen. The second time around, I'm feeling a huge shift and found more resistance all the way through - like my ego grew more cocky. Cocky ego. I am seeing that when I feel better, I get a little resistant to being - er - good. Or well-behaved. I'm not bad,  just  -- I can see how habitual, conditioned thinking really influences our actions. It can be a subtle slippery slope back into brownies and chocolate donuts. But y'know what? BLEAH - that sounds so grossly sickly sweet! 

Who'd ever think I would not want a donut????? Wow. So I'm happysad. :) More happy then sad. Keep on, everyone!!

• Administrators

I have SIBO and my doc really wants me to eat home made 24 hour yogurt for probiotics 

Sorry to hear that the chocolate tripped you up.  All is not lost though, you have 26 solid days under your belt and since you are not (I assume) going to fall face first into a pile of pasta topped with whipped cream and chocolate sauce washed down with a bottle of wine, you're probably fine.  ;)

Now just a quick question, but I thought after your last W30 you determined that you felt better NOT eating the 24 hour yogurt?  Did I dream that, or....?

Hey Ladyshanny, Thank you for understanding and YES I'm not going to use this as an excuse to fall flat on my face and sabatoge the whole thing.

Re 24 hour yogurt - I felt better eating 24 hour yogurt until I started OVEReating it. Like for breaky, lunch and dinner. Or a huge bowl for "dessert". Quantity is key.This time, I'm eating it once a day and if twice, just a small second helping. My doc says two cups max a day, which is quite a lot, really. 

I'm still here! Work has been tough lately (I'm a teacher right before spring break haha), but I'm making it through! I don't know if I ever really felt the full on "tiger blood" but I am so proud of myself for sticking through. I've also encouraged a few friends to start their own whole30's!

I want to continue on whole30 style for awhile just because I feel so much better than I did. My skin has cleared and I would say my energy is more steady. My clothes definitely fit better! Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Hi All - wellll it's time to fess up - I have fumbled this month's W30 with (gulp) chocolate. Won't go into details, just state that yes I fell off the wagon. ...

Thank GOD it wasn't just me bronnyd - LOL!!! Our indiscressions were at the same point.

My disgrace for the world to chuckle at...

No-wine.jpg

Soooo, I've had a very stressful couple of weeks, and decided today that I would indulge in my friend - red wine, tonight! Hubby did remind me that I did a Whole30 in Jan, and another (almost 27 days) now in March and we could still stay on track and that it was AOK.

I agree.

I'm not perfect, I feel like I'm letting my peeps down, but I'm honest.

I'm OK that I had some wine (with the 'Pure Wine' Preservative Remover added). Everything else is compliant, hubby and I will continue to be compliant for the 30 days.

I'm just putting up the white flag and supporting everyone else to the end.

Like LadyShanny said to bronnyd, it's not like "you're going to fall face first into a pile of pasta topped with whipped cream and chocolate sauce"!

I've still got 3 more days as far as I'm concerned - holy S*%T!!!

Oh, by the way, great work everyone else. xx :D

Archived