STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

So one of the unexpected benefits of this approach to food has been my wife and I eating both breakfast and dinner together at the table and talking. Focusing on food and conversation has been a really great benefit of sitting down and actually eating rather than just stuffing food in my mouth.

The only issue so far for me has been hunger between meals, but I love eating heartily at mealtime and not feeling guilty or bloated afterwards.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

joybedford and sunshinestate24 - I have an 18-year-old little brother with a genetic syndrome and a lot of special needs, and I work with children with special needs! I'm a speech therapist. Very close to my heart! My brother has been on a Paleo diet (with my mom) for a couple years, and he and my mom did their first Whole30 recently. Dietary changes have not fixed everything by any means, but I think it has helped regulate him a bit. I hope that you and your husband can figure out what type of dietary choices are best for your son! And let me know if you have questions!

Happy Day 3 everyone! I was super cranky yesterday, and foggy. Woke up with a bit of a headache this morning but feeling okay now!

Hello my fellow Whole 30er's!

I started March 1. So far, so good. I work out in the morning before work, so my breakfasts are pretty heavy. However, I feel like my workout today was impossible. I'm really bloated and feel like I'm gaining weight.

I think the bloating is normal - I haven't experienced it, but I know others have and the timeline does state that it may happen at first. Also, workouts were SUPER hard for me on my first Whole30. This time around, I'm adjusting things, like the amount of starchy veggies I'm eating, and what I eat pre/post workout. There's a Whole30 for Athletes forum where there is a lot of information... I've been trying to look at that to see what others are doing in terms of fueling workouts, but I feel like it's also important to try things and find what works for you!

• Administrators

The only issue so far for me has been hunger between meals, but I love eating heartily at mealtime and not feeling guilty or bloated afterwards.

Hey SamWheat, we don't want you going hungry between meals, they should keep you going for about 4-5 hours.  Are you serving yourself portions based on our template (linked below) using your own palm and thumb sizes? Up your portions until you get to the point where you are good to go for 4-5 hours.  If you have to have a between-meals snack, make it at least protein and fat but ideally also some veggies.

Samwheat - try eating a bit more fat at meals. Even coconut oil in coffee (tastes great) or some ghee will help. Personally, I eat bacon bits and pieces (= about 2 slices) just about every morning for breaky and it really works! I often do not feel hungry again 'till 1 or 2 p.m.

LeaC - good to see you! :) It was my first time making bb with chicken bones and beef marrow. It tastes FAB! I decided to do it after roasting a chicken and finding half of my dutch oven filled with chicken juices and fat. So I removed the meat and put back the bones and neck and organs. But bec chicky bones are so little, I grabbed the last two beef bones from freezer and put them in, filled with H2O, salt, and two big sprigs of rosemary. Simmered in oven for - yes - 24 hours, lid on of course, about 300 degs, strained, and it turned out delish! 

bmhbar - so sorry to hear about that migraine! Have you read the W30 Timeline? It could be body reacting in "hangover" state - I'm a big contendor of low carbs, high fat to help body feel better. Bone broth also really helps me too. I had headaches, low energy, nausea, mood swings first couple weeks as well, but all with perspective of a day at a time. Feel better soon!!

SSS24 - ummm not sure what moderators would say, but really I personally believe that starting over after one chip at a football game or one lick while making cake for daughter is a setup for failure. And I think most of us are in this because we're frustrated with "failing" our diets in the past - maybe almost to feeling hopeless (that's me). So I would say, keep on and keep honest with yourself. :) If you have a cookie or "cheat" big, then yah, start over, but one lick off spoon while making cake is something you need to give yourself a pat on the back for as you didn't lick the whole bowl, right? 

One of my bad habits was - yes - WAS - night grazing. I would eat dinner after work and then continue munching - yogurt, nuts, a cookie, a bowl of grain free granola with almond milk, etc etc. Mostly low fat healthy stuff. I don't even feel like grazing since end of my first W30 in January. I make sure to have a bit of fat in every meal and am getting that for my body, high fat and low carb is the way to go. And because of my SIBO, I eat very little fruit.

Also can't have avo and sweet potato, which I LOVE, but according to my doc, that will change after a few months. Just a few months out of my life. I feel more and more alive - even with recurring tummy trouble. I feel so grateful for Melissa and Dallas for their insightful contributions to getting healthy, feeling alive. Another really good book along with their It Starts With Food is Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. Also Wheat Belly is a good one. But Taubes' book explains in more scientific detail why fat is important in our diets using world history and science from different cultures, including our own.  

OK long post I know... My meals are as follows today:

M1 3 scrambled eggs (yes I know I said back to 2 but woke up ravenous), fried bacon bits and pieces with some roasted radishes thrown in, jello

M2 Stuffed peppers with chicken salad made with hmmayo and celeriac hash browns

M3 Collard wraps with toasted eggplant, chicken salad and cup of bone broth. Jello.

Anyone else on instagram? I would love to follow your whole30 journey. 

Feel free to follow me: Tri4Health 

How is everyone feeling? What's on your meal plan for today/week that you are looking forward to? 

Day 3: 

M1: Veggie Omelette with grapefruit and coffee. Felt satisfied and ready to get my day started.

M2: Spinach salad with homemade balsamic dressing, leftover chicken with red potatoes, roasted carrots and asparagus. Herbal tea to stay warm. 

Lots of water: so far 40 ounces (possibly a bit more). 

Is anyone else using a calorie counter or the my fitness app during all of this? I know it said to not track our weight but I am blogging about all of this and was curious about how this compares to the traditional "stay under 1200 calories a day" thinking. I popped in my breakfast and it broke the 1200 calorie mark by a good 100+ calories. Is this bad? I am totally new to Whole30 so please correct me if I am wrong in this. 

My breakfast:

2 Eggs (scrambled)

1 Cup Lean Turkey Meat (seasoned with paprika, garlic salt, chopped garlic, pepper, chili powder and cumin)

1/2 Cup Red Onions

1/2 Container Olives (nom-nom)

1/2 Cup Cilantro

1 Avocado

2 Cups coffee (no creamer) – caffeinated

Was this a no go for breakfast? 

As long as I am eating what is on the Whole30 list, I can have reasonable portion sizes of whatever I want, right?

Help!

• Administrators

Is anyone else using a calorie counter or the my fitness app during all of this? I know it said to not track our weight but I am blogging about all of this and was curious about how this compares to the traditional "stay under 1200 calories a day" thinking. I popped in my breakfast and it broke the 1200 calorie mark by a good 100+ calories. Is this bad? I am totally new to Whole30 so please correct me if I am wrong in this. 

Ditching the calorie counters is a RULE of Whole30, not just a suggestion.  The "traditional stay under 1200 calories a day thinking" is a starvation protocol imposed on women by a culture that wants us all to be the same tiny body size.  It doesn't take into consideration your activity, body composition, stress, sleep, hormones, blood sugar, time of month.  It is a cookie cutter declaration made to enforce loss of weight at any cost.  

Whole30, as I hope you are aware, is none of those.  We want you to eat food.  Real, nutrient dense food in a quantity that fits your context.  Eat so that you are fine to go 4-5 hours between meals.  Eat so that your hormones are balanced and your blood sugar doesn't fluctuate.  Eat so that your mood stays consistent and so that you FEEL good.  The old discussions and calorie tracking don't take any of that into consideration and that's why we want you to stay away from tracking calories and macros.  

Your breakfast looks good...could probably use about 1-2 cups more veggies but other than that, yum!

Ditching the calorie counters is a RULE of Whole30, not just a suggestion.  The "traditional stay under 1200 calories a day thinking" is a starvation protocol imposed on women by a culture that wants us all to be the same tiny body size.  It doesn't take into consideration your activity, body composition, stress, sleep, hormones, blood sugar, time of month.  It is a cookie cutter declaration made to enforce loss of weight at any cost.  

Whole30, as I hope you are aware, is none of those.  We want you to eat food.  Real, nutrient dense food in a quantity that fits your context.  Eat so that you are fine to go 4-5 hours between meals.  Eat so that your hormones are balanced and your blood sugar doesn't fluctuate.  Eat so that your mood stays consistent and so that you FEEL good.  The old discussions and calorie tracking don't take any of that into consideration and that's why we want you to stay away from tracking calories and macros.  

Your breakfast looks good...could probably use about 1-2 cups more veggies but other than that, yum!

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and thank you so much for the info! I was really hesitant this morning when I plugged everything in. I hit 1200 and thought "crap, this isn't going to work" but at almost 1PM I still feel great. I really love this program for what it offers to foodies and health enthusiasts and hope to be posting some stellar progress photos at the end of the 30 days. Thank you again for the reply! I was worried I was doing it wrong and boy does it feel good to know that I am not :D

Snacks: I used to be a snacker. During my 1st Whole30 in January I didn't feel that need anymore. Before my breakfast was so unbalanced tht my the time I got to the office I was starving, and at 11:30, and at 3...etc... No more!

Like LeaC I really benefited from the 1st round, slipped some in February, and I am back on.

But it's going to take more than 30 days to kick decades of bad eating habits to the curb!

Thanks Ladyshanny for your always on the dot and helpful comments!

Great job everyone!

Hello my fellow Whole 30er's!

[...] 

Am I eating too much? HELP!

Is this too much food?

Dear ChicagoFoodie... prior to my 1st Whole30 in January, I had decades of bad eating habits, ans way too much bad food... OK, 50 lbs overweight... yes! I said it! So - among other things - my portions were way off, and that was a big concern of mine getting into the program.

By the third week of the January Whole30, I noticed that I would naturally reduce my portions...only because my body had figured out how much was enough for me to go on until the next meal and was already sending the message to my brain that I didn't need to fill up my plate as much....... I couldn't believe it! 

See, that to me is real progress...

I hope you hid your scale (like I did) and before you know it your clothes will feel loser... yes, they will!

Never thought I could make it through one day without snacking between meals.  Now I've made it through 3!  I think a key for me is eating breakfast right when I get up.  Having Salmon for breakfast is pretty special.  Feel like my portions are big, but I guess they are getting me to the next, so I'm not going to sweat it, and I'm using the templates for portion control anyway.  Feeling good so far :)

• Administrators

Never thought I could make it through one day without snacking between meals.  Now I've made it through 3!  I think a key for me is eating breakfast right when I get up.  Having Salmon for breakfast is pretty special.  Feel like my portions are big, but I guess they are getting me to the next, so I'm not going to sweat it, and I'm using the templates for portion control anyway.  Feeling good so far :)

That's awesome!  Really excellent news, good for you!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement to eat more :) I don't think I'm truly "hungry" but its more like I'm used to eating. I am using the guides for portions and am not going hungry. BTW is anyone else doing this with a partner (not virtual) and finding that its been a good bonding experience?

BTW is anyone else doing this with a partner (not virtual) and finding that its been a good bonding experience?

I wish my boyfriend would do this with me! Although before we started dating two years ago, I'm pretty sure he actually didn't eat vegetables. Really, any vegetables. Now he's doing side salads, chicken fajitas with peppers/onions, etc... so... baby steps! Maybe someday!

My sister and I are both doing a Whole30 now, and it's definitely a good bonding experience! My mom has also done it in the past, so it's fun to talk about and share recipes within the family :)

Thanks for the encouragement to eat more :) I don't think I'm truly "hungry" but its more like I'm used to eating. I am using the guides for portions and am not going hungry. BTW is anyone else doing this with a partner (not virtual) and finding that its been a good bonding experience?

My boyfriend isn't necessarily doing the whole30 with me but when we eat meals together (breakfast & dinner) he eats what I eat. I'll add goat cheese to his salad or eggs, or make rice when we have curry. I've been paleo for almost a year and don't feel tempted to have a bite of no paleo foods (this took awhile for me to feel this way, trust me you won't miss those cookies or bread after awhile, hang in there it's worth it and gets easier). I'm thankful that he's so open to eating all the different foods that I make. I have a few paleo cookbooks and tell him to pick out meals that look good to him. This gives me the opportunity to try something new and make sure he's pleased as well. He likes trying new recipes. He also cooks too, so I have to make sure to tell him what I can/cannot have. I try to focus on what I can have and keep it simple. We grocery shop together each week, I try to meal plan to make our grocery shopping simple.

Hi all. Im Debs, a New Zealander who has recently moved to Brisbane Australia to live.

Im on the evening of Day 3. I feel nothing. I feel exactly the same as before I gave up my treats. What about the headaches and hungover feelings I read about??

I'm on day 5, and during the day, I haven't been feeling all the different. Less hungry generally. I still sense the conditioning to assume somethign sweet should follow something savory, but no hostility cuz of it - and remarkably no headaches (which i'm prone to). Nights are weird though. Getting up a couple times a night and having more anxiety type dreams. Looking forward to that stopping. See how day 4 goes - that's when everythign/one is supposed to annoy you - that was a little more true for me.

Went to the doctor today so I had to get weighed. Total weight loss in one week.....zero! But that's ok because my pants feel looser. Also had to up my thyroid medicine, and I know a faulty thyroid wreaks havoc on your metabolism. I promise not to step on a scale again for the remainder, and to not get discouraged..I know I won't make my "50 lbs by 50th birthday", but I sure hope to feel good in my skin anyway.

I am on instagram and have added anyone that I've seen on here!  I'm "karaearak" for anyone who wants to follow!  I've been posting one new meal a day that I've tried.  I love seeing all of the different recipes out there!

Today was a tough day.  I luckily was off work so I was able to be at home through all the problems.  I woke up with a headache and just very achy all over.  By lunch, however, this was gone!  Only it was replaced with the "kill all things" mood.  I raised my voice at my cat for wanting to play while I was busy cleaning the oven, and I felt bad.  Once my husband got home I feel like all the bad treatment went to him, but he has been very good to me.  I did let him know the tentative timeline before starting and he must know where I'm at.

M1 - scrambled eggs with onions and tomatoes, broccoli, half a grapefruit, Earl Grey tea

M2 - (definitely a favorite so far!) pre-made sausage, sweet potato, egg scramble on top of a bed of spinach and topped with almonds, water

M3 - cinnamon chicken, roasted veggies (that turned out awfully burnt so I got spinach and made a quick salad), water, small handful of raisins

Hey hoffmak - to answer your quest re jello - I make mine with either plain mineral water and a touch of fresh lemon or sometimes with ginger or berry kombucha. The kombucha jello tastes better, but I can eat the mineral water/lemon jello as well. It's good for SIBO gut. :)

Hi claws!  Yeah Florida !  Where abouts are you?  I am in the Tampa Bay area, near Clearwater.

Hi sunshinestate24.......I am in the Altamonte Springs area.  Not too far from Orlando.

Archived