STARTING MARCH 1!!!!!!!!

ashleysauce

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4, I woke up this morning in a bad mood. My boyfriend called me huhnnoyed (hungry + annoyed). I couldn't help but laugh, which seemed to help my mood a little. Once I got to work I felt better. 

I got home late last night and didn't eat dinner until almost 9:00!!! I had a small handful of almonds around 7:00 to hold me over until dinner, but surprisingly I wasn't starving. I don't like to have dinner so late, but I didn't have access to any compliment food and was working (even if I packed something to eat, I still wouldn't be able to eat it). Thankfully I had leftover chicken and veggies and heated up a bowl of cauliflower soup (Thanks to planning ahead). I kept my portions a little smaller since I was eating so close to bed. I know this isn't ideal, but sometimes life isn't predictable so it's good to have compliant food ready to go :)

Day 4: 

M1: Veggie omelette with shredded sweet potato, grapefruit, black coffee and water. 

Making Chocolate Chili tonight (my all time favorite chili). 

I'm interested in trying to make my own Kombucha. I've never done this. Any suggestions? 

• Administrators

I'm interested in trying to make my own Kombucha. I've never done this. Any suggestions?

Totally do it!! Super easy! I have a post on my blog about how to do it. https://fittyvsfatty.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/home-brewing-kombucha-you-should-do-it/

These days I'm flavouring with juices (grape, pomegranate orange combo, pineapple coconut combo, mango with ginger)

Totally do it!! Super easy! I have a post on my blog about how to do it. https://fittyvsfatty.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/home-brewing-kombucha-you-should-do-it/

These days I'm flavouring with juices (grape, pomegranate orange combo, pineapple coconut combo, mango with ginger)

Thanks ladyshanny! I'll let you know how it goes when I give it a try :)

Carmen, I love that chocolate chili (the Well Fed one?)! Let us know how the kombucha turns out as well!

I'm actually feeling great today, surprisingly, considering it's supposed to be a "kill all the things" day right? Who knows, maybe I'll get there by the end of the day, haha. I've been feeling good, workouts haven't been too bad (although I haven't done a longer run yet), and in general, getting into the Whole30 groove! :)

PS Here's jello recipe in detail:

1 box of Knox Gelatine (4 envelopes)

1 cup cold fruit juice, kombucha, or lemon water,- sparkling water is also good

3 cups boiling water, juice, kombucha, lemon water or combination thereof

The recipe on box is to use all four packages but I've experimented with both two and three packages of gelatin and both have come out good. Three - four four packages makes it more like finger jello, which I like. Two packages makes it more like spoon jello.

Pour water into bowl of your choosing and sprinkle 2-3 packages gelatine over the water and let it sit. Boil remaining liquids and pour over cold liquid and gelatine. Stir/mix well. Fridge without lid or plastic wrap for a couple-four hours and then add lid.

Just a small square or maybe 1/3 cup jello each meal is very good for gut lining

The recipe on box is to use all four packages but I've experimented with both two and three packages of gelatin and both have come out good. Three - four four packages makes it more like finger jello, which I like. Two packages makes it more like spoon jello.

Pour water into bowl of your choosing and sprinkle 2-3 packages gelatine over the water and let it sit. Boil remaining liquids and pour over cold liquid and gelatine. Stir/mix well. Fridge without lid or plastic wrap for a couple-four hours and then add lid.

Just a small square or maybe 1/3 cup jello each meal is very good for gut lining

Do you think LaCroix would work instead of fruit juice or kombucha ? 

Just a small square or maybe 1/3 cup jello each meal is very good for gut lining.

Oh darn.. I figured jello would be off-limits, my knox gelatin is sealed away somewhere in the boxes of nomcompliant stuff that are sitting way up high out of reach and duct-taped shut. I've usually made it with crystal light or other sweeteners, so it didn't even occur to me that it could be compliant.

Guess I'll have to add gelatin to my next shopping list.. and some sort of compliant juice.

Thank you so much for the recipe! That will be on my list of things to make for next week.

While on the topic of recipes, I'm interested in adding kale to my lineup but I'm unsure how to go about that. Do I treat it like lettuce or spinach? What are ways I should try using this?

Day 4 wasn't anything of note. Had to pack a lunch for work but that went fine. Coworkers commented on my change in food and I was more than happy to fill them in on the Whole30 concept.

M1 - two sausage, broccoli, egg muffins, celery, peppermint tea

M2 - spinach salad with sweet potato, sausage, egg scramble, topped with almonds, banana

M3 - golden cauliflower soup, chicken thighs, blueberries

Definitely going to add chocolate chili to my repertoire next week. I've heard rave reviews and my husband even might eat it since he doesn't like beans in his chili anyway.

Hi all! I've been lurking daily and you guys are a great motivation. Also started March 1st.

Hoffmak: my favorite way to have kale is to coat it with melted ghee (or any kind of fat) and put it on a baking dish in the oven for 20 minutes or so at 400 degrees.. Salt and pepper and that's it. second option: cook it on the stovetop in some very hot fat. I've done this after making bacon, then throw thinly chopped kale in the remaining fat only for about 5 minutes till its softer.

Thank you so much for the recipe! That will be on my list of things to make for next week.

While on the topic of recipes, I'm interested in adding kale to my lineup but I'm unsure how to go about that. Do I treat it like lettuce or spinach? What are ways I should try using this?

Day 4 wasn't anything of note. Had to pack a lunch for work but that went fine. Coworkers commented on my change in food and I was more than happy to fill them in on the Whole30 concept.

M1 - two sausage, broccoli, egg muffins, celery, peppermint tea

M2 - spinach salad with sweet potato, sausage, egg scramble, topped with almonds, banana

M3 - golden cauliflower soup, chicken thighs, blueberries

Definitely going to add chocolate chili to my repertoire next week. I've heard rave reviews and my husband even might eat it since he doesn't like beans in his chili anyway.

Another way to prepare Kale is sautéed in a pan on the stove with coconut oil (or EVOO), add in chopped sweet potatoes (leftover works best since they are softer) add sausage (chop into pieces) add peppers/onions. Super easy and quick meal. Flavor with seasoning of your choicElse, salt, pepper, smoked paprika.

Good morning- we've made it to day 5!!! Coming up is our first challenge: the weekend. During my last whole30 I learned how important it is to prepare ahead of time for the weekend. This weekend I am having dinner out with my family, we will probably be eating late so I'm planning to pack some snacks (I know you're not suppose to "snack"), however, this will reduce my appetite for when we go out to dinner so I won't be starving and tempted to eat something non-compliant. while eating out since I don't know where we'll be going I will look for either a salad (no dressing-oil and vinegar) with a protein. Or I'll get a protein with a side of veggies (no butter). I find Mexican restaurants to be pretty easy when eating out. I usually get fajitas and eat it open faced (no rice, no beans, no chips!). I typically Ask for extra veggies and protein if I'm really hungry.

What are your plans for this weekend? The weekend is a great opportunity to meal plan. Keep up the good work and remember we are here to support one another.

If I were to start a private Facebook group specifically for March whole30ers would anyone be interested in joining? We could post pictures, recipes, encouragement, auctions, etc. This would be in addition to the forum and whole30 resources already available. Just a thought.

Hey booksandcoffee- love your username :) - that kale recipe sounds delish! I'm going to try it. Also love kale with bacon - collards too.

Forgot to record meals yest:

M1 radish hashbrowns with 2 eggs and bacon, jasmine green tea (I miss my espresso!)

M2 chick sal stuffed mini peppers

M3 fried cod dipped in egg and coconut flakes and eggplant "fries"

I had a good medium energy day yest until after dinner - right after eating I slumped big. Ended up falling asleep on the couch at 9:30. Woke up at 10:30 and went to bed. Actually have been feeling ultra tired at night and going to bed early. But I get up with the sun and birds - that's nice.

Slept like a log and had an almost lucid food dream - I thoroughly enjoyed eating a sticky muffin and then felt like something with more sustenance, so heated up some homemade jalapeno pepper soup, which was green. ..... I've never made anything like jalapeno pepper soup. ... wonder if it's the mini peppers I'm using for lunches that caused this dream as that's a new recipe for me. OR maybe my gut is trying to tell me to eat a jalapeno pepper... 

That said -- it's funny cuz through my first W30 in Jan, my food dreams were often about eating something noncompliant and then saying OH NO! I ruined my W30! Now, I'm enjoying these tasty dreams.

Have been feeling sleepy after eating lunch and dinner - a sign of leaky gut and in my case SIBO. But all in all, I'm feeling, eating and pooping much better! Still a bit of tummy pain, but I've said before, it will still take a couple months to clear it out, for body to shift into new modes of digestion and health.

Today I'm having:

M1 fried pork belly, two fried eggs, kale sauteed in belly fat - this whole breaky was incredible. My new friend - pork belly.

M2 chick sal in peppers and saulteed collards with one piece bacon

M3 keeping it small - something like sauteed collards again with maybe a bit of pork belly

Also, a big HI and top-of-the-morning to leaC and sunsoakeddreamer - ssd, where are you?

Have a great day everyone! xo

Also down for a Facebook group!

Yes, this weekend could get tricky! Although part of this weekend I'm with my mom, and she is also a Whole30-er, so we're going to make some compliant recipes :) Definitely doing lots of meal planning.

I actually find going out to places like steak places is easier on Whole30 - I often get plain baked potato, steamed veggies, and steak (no butter). Mexican I find is really hard for me - probably because I love beans!

Feeling pretty good today! Yay Day 5! A little "kill all the things" in some of my meetings this morning, but those meetings always put me in a bad mood anyway, haha.

I'm with you in Vancouver BC!! My co worker did this, is on month #2, and has lost 20lbs and feels amazing. It's really hard at our work with high risk situations/clients so stress eating is a big hurdle for us to get over. I'm really excited to have others to help on the journey! :) Thanks in advance, everyone!

I have to admit though, the only downside I have seen in here so far is people saying they are throwing out their old food. Donate it please!! There are many a food bank that could benefit from your unwanted foods. Other than that, stay strong and keep on being amazing all. High five! We can do this!

Hello everyone....sorry I haven't been posting, things have been crazy for me. We are having another snow storm. I do love the snow and I work outside every day in it!!!! Once I get home I usually warm up, cook,eat,and pass out. It feels great g o be on day 5! All is well. I am not getting the headaches and fatigue as I did the first time around.

M1.....egg salad, homemade mauo, mixed greens and black coffee.

M2....chicken breast, Brussel sprouts,and an orange.

M3....Pork chop with cauliflower.

I had my first restaurant dinner, and that went well. I had a huge salad, short ribs, and spinach. I was able to pass on the bread, wine, and flour less chocolate cake. Yay me ! ! ! ! I see everyone is doing well. I would also like to join the FB page.

This is the first conscious eating program that I've been on that I'm more encouraged at day 5 than day 1. For some reason (perhaps it's coming) I've had a lot of energy and have enjoyed the challenge of cooking with new ingredients (Ghee - who'd have thought?). I gave up social media for Lent, but if you all migrate over to FB I hope you check in occasionally here :)

hi. i hope it's ok for me to join as i started on march 2nd.  i'm also giving up smoking at the same time (i know they said to quit forst but i figured if it was going to suck i might as well make it suck all at once) so i'm really fun right now.  actually it's not SO bad.  i do have sugar and cigarette cravings (am a MAJOR sugar addict which is why i'm doing this in the first place- to break the addiction) which i'm dealing with.  i am sure i'm having too much fruit and nut butter and i'm definately snacking but i am letting myself since i'm dealing with 2 things at once. i just added myself to the fb group. hope that's ok!

do we post meals for the day before or the day we're on?

btw i make kale very simply- little olive oil and some garlic sauteed in a pan for a few minutes. perfect.

Hi All 

Just a couple quick things:

1. Why an fb group when we are on here? Although I'm on fb, i don't do it much...

2. I'm feeling so gross tired listless bleachy today. Sorry. I think I'm going through that hangover - and well, I did have wine, dairy and a bit more carbs in Feb so maybe that's what's going on. This morn I felt ok, but then toward noon, it just got worse and worse. I wonder if I'm fighting the crud again too cuz it's definitely going around bad.

Been eating bone broth and taking magnesium pills to counteract the hangover.... hmmm could also very well be SIBO die-off... wouldn't mind so much if that were so. Ah well, it's just a day. I'm glad to be back on track, although when I feel like this, it seems off track. Could be full moon too - i seriously feel like a lump on full moons, and am not generally a superstitious woo woo type. 

I'm going to go outside and attempt to liven up before work and thankfully, work is pretty light today.

I went on FB, and searched for March whole30 support group, and I find nothing wit the words support group in their title. What Am I Doing wrong? Please help

Hmmm, I'm not sure- I typed March whole30 support group and it pops up in the search. You can add me on Facebook Carmen Cosentino (live in north bethesda, MD) and I can then add you to the group.

The Facebook was created for simplicity to upload pictures andcomment directly. The forum is still used- however I know for myself having the visuals makes it easier to comment, etc. it's just for fun, so if you don't want to join, no biggie. We will all still be here for support :)

I'm here Bronny! Counting down - 3 days left until we start up again. Been focusing on exercise and setting a schedule as I'm still in search of more balance between cooking good food and enjoying time where I feel good from good food but I'm getting to do something other than cooking or eating :)

Here's what I've come up with, and have been doing with some success--

-Grocery shop on Wednesdays right after work. Period. I spend so much time waffling wavering (no waffles allowed in here!) over whether or not I feel like going I needed to be firm on this. Bonus points for getting to the farmers market Saturday morning.

-Grocery shop without a meal plan, but make one as soon as I've got the goods. I list items I'm out of, but I like to shop by price and freshness. 

-Start dinner every night at 630p. An alarm literally goes off to tell me to do so. Husband works such odd hours I often wait to start dinner to try to time things right, then end up in a hurry and forget to make one of the sides. 

-Prep more than what I need for the night. I can't get the hang of the big Sunday cook up, but if I'm chopping one pepper, I can chop a couple more and set them aside, peel extra carrots, or run a sweet potato through the food processor for breakfast hash if I already have it out for something else

-Get ready for bed at 9p every night. Another alarm for this. Gets me to bed earlier :)

Now that I have set times for the big activities of the night it's easier to plan a work out, do some house work, or even sneak in some reading time in the gaps.

I don't know if this is helpful for anyone else, I just feel like I've tried so much that didn't work, this is working for me. 

Archived