The Whole100

petitemortuaire

LAW100: Days 2-3

Things have been going well! I've been on-track and without cravings. I am a little concerned that I might be having protein portions that are too large, so I'm considering revisiting the W30 template of 1 palm per meal. 

I also started listening to the Nom Nom Paleo podcast. It's cute! I'd recommend checking it out.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LAW 100: Days 4-7

I've been studying for a huge oral exam for my grad program that's coming up this Friday, and because of that, staying in the house for the most part. Not moving around seems to really make me focus on what I'm eating in a way that I don't like. For the past few days I've still been feeling like I'm eating too much, despite not feeling too full. I think I'm worried about it because I haven't been exercising. I haven't kept up with 30DS, but I'm hoping to start Strong Curves on Monday. This summer I'm going to be spending a lot of time working on my dissertation, so I'm hoping to start my days with some gym time.  Getting into a routine with exercise and with work will definitely help me stay on track. I think that was the issue with 30DS... I kept traveling and having obligations that made me have to skip days or change my workout times. I didn't have that issue when I was doing 30 Days of Yoga because the the spring semester had my schedule on lock.

Anyway... I've tried some new recipes, which has been exciting! Over the past few days, I've made Stupid Easy Paleo's Pork Loin Roast, slow cooker caramelized red onions, and Cuban-style yucca. I also made ghee for the first time! It was so surprisingly easy. 

I do think that with sweet potato, plantains, and yucca in my house, I've been eating a little carb-heavy. But my favorite meal that I've had over the past few days is a warm salad of pulled pork loin, roasted brussels sprouts, and caramelized onions all tossed in homemade mayo. Delicious!

Today I decided that it was a good day to indulge in a treat. I had a Vita Organic Foods Cashew Sea Salt 72% Raw Cacao bar. It was fantastic, but I think I may have wanted it because I had two servings of fruit today (applesauce & dried figs) and was riding the sugar dragon. No regrets though--I've been studying really hard and it was a nice reward! I also learned that coconut sugar doesn't upset my tummy the way honey and cane sugar do. It still gives me a bit of a headache, though.

• 2 weeks later...

LAW100 Days 8-19

So it's been a while since my last post. I was doing fine sticking to compliant foods, doing the occasional off roading, and then Sunday hit. Here's how the last week looked in terms of noncompliant foods:

Sunday: wine; lamb rogan josh (no rice or naan, but it surely had something noncompliant in it)

• Had a date over and intended to off-road.

Monday: leftover lamb rogan josh; one cube each of chicken & steak marinated in soy sauce and sugar; dark chocolate (organic, but made with cane sugar)

• Ate the lamb for breakfast, had a compliant lunch and dinner, and then went to a dinner party. They made kebabs, and I figured since I probably already ate something noncompliant that day, why not keep going? This logic justified tasting the meat and having the organic chocolate the host offered for dessert. ...and then having more dark chocolate when I got home.

Tuesday: compliant

Wednesday: wine

• On Wednesday, I got a really bad stomach ache in the afternoon and had to leave work early--probably after-effects from the noncompliant foods. But then in the evening I started feeling better and had wine at my friend's house. She said she wanted to take me out for a drink, but we ended up staying in. I told her I'd only have one glass, and ended up having two.

Thursday: french fries; chocolate pudding; an Oreo; a Bagel Bite; watermelon Sour Patch Kids; chicken nuggets

• Thursday morning and afternoon at work I felt totally out of it. Easily fatigued, mentally foggy, and irritable. On Thursday night I was at a party a made a conscious decision to eat the dirt pudding cups someone had lovingly made. But then I had to taste the rest of the food people brought... I woke up at 4:30 AM feeling like utter garbage, with the worst stomach pain.

Friday: potato chips; too few veggies, too much protein, and too many dates

• Ate compliant all day until I got to a friend's BBQ party. Then I had 3 servings of chips and again, had a miserable stomach ache.

Saturday: glazed figs (compliant except for some cornstarch); way too much fruit; chocolate chips

• On Saturday morning (well, really, on Thursday night) I decided that I had started feeling out of control. My body was hurting, and I was eating unhealthy foods anyway. I needed a Whole30 to get back on track. But knowing I was going to start another Whole30 gave me the stupid logic that I should eat the few noncompliant things in my house...

So, today I started another Whole30. I've found that noncompliant foods are a slippery slope for me, and I use really crap logic to justify eating poorly. I feel like I need a re-set. I've also found that, while I'm not counting calories, tracking my food here keeps me accountable and focused on making healthy choices. So I'm going back to that. On the bright side, I have thought of checking the scale to see the damage this week of eating has done, but I decided against it, knowing that looking will just make me feel bad about myself. My clothes still fit, and I'll be back to eating in the way that makes me feel best, so there's no point.

W30 Day 1

M1: Stupid Easy Paleo's Tender Asian-Marinated Flank Steak; asparagus roasted in olive oil; brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil; almonds

M2: Flank steak, asparagus roasted in olive oil; brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil; 'monkey salad' (1 banana; shredded coconut; a few almonds; cashew milk; cinnamon; cacao powder)

Snack: Jicama sprinkled w/ Tajin

M3: Flank steak; steamed broccoli; fried plantains

W30 Day 2

SC Week 1, Day 1

Today I'm headed back to the gym (for the first time in a LONG time) to start the Strong Curves (SC) program. Committing to regular exercise makes me feel better (physically, emotionally), and I find that I'm more productive overall when I've got it in my routine. I've done some strength training/weight lifting classes in the past, and they left me feeling extremely empowered. So, I'm excited! I'm be doing the 12-week beginners program in the book.

The program suggests counting calories/macros and weighing yourself once per week. I won't be doing either of those things, but I decided to weigh myself today take a few key measurements, and I'll be taking some photos so I can track progress. Honestly, I wasn't excited to weigh myself. It's a sticky situation when two programs offer different guidelines. But, I figured I could just do the typical Whole30 before-and-after thing. 

The only measurement that's changed is my waist, which is up 3/4" from the end of my Whole100 (28" vs. 27 1/4"). I am up 1.7 lbs from the end of my Whole100 (141.9 vs. 140.2), but I've maintained this weight since May 10th (the one other time I weighed myself since completing the W100), which feels like a success to me. 

Right on schedule with the timeline, I couldn't get out of bed with my 6:30 AM alarm. I slept in til 7:45. But I had an essentially perfect BM after M1, so that brightened my mood. 

M1: 1/2 3-egg frittata w/ zucchini, spinach, and brussels sprouts (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ salt, black pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and Trade Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute); 'monkey salad' (1 banana; shredded coconut; a few almonds; cashew milk; cinnamon; cacao powder; cacao nibs)

• Completed W1D1 of SC and 30 minutes of cardio on the Precor AMT Open Stride. Psyched or Day 2! Also, today was the first day in my adult life that I can remember fitting into size 8 pants. However, the brand (Ann Taylor Loft) is notoriously known for vanity sizing, so it may not be a true reflection of changes in my body composition.

Post-wo: 1/2 3 egg frittata w/ zucchini, spinach, and brussels sprouts (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ salt, black pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and Trade Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute); 1/2 sweet potato

M2: Flank steak; jicama; macadamia nuts; zucchini (sautéed in coconut oil; seasoned w/ La Boite's Shabazi)

M3: 1/2 avocado (sprinkled w/ Tajin); jicama (sprinkled w/ Tajin); flank steak; steamed broccoli; 1/2 sweet potato; asparagus (roasted in EVOO)

W30 Day 3

SC Week 1, Day 2

Woke up feeling pleasantly sore from yesterday's workout. Excited to get back to the gym this morning! Like W30 days, I'm going to track Strong Curves days here, too. It keeps me accountable.

I still didn't get up at my 6:30 AM alarm, but I did wake up slightly earlier than yesterday.

M1: 1/2 3 egg frittata w/ broccoli & spinach (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P, turmeric, red pepper flakes, white pepper, and TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute); 'monkey salad' (1 banana; shredded coconut; a few almonds; cashew milk; cinnamon; cacao powder; cacao nibs)

• No BM after breakfast. Boo. Completed W1D2 of SC and 30 minutes of cardio on the Precor AMT Open Stride.

Post-wo: 1/2 3 egg frittata w/ broccoli & spinach (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P, turmeric, red pepper flakes, white pepper, and TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute

M2: tuna salad (1 can skipjack tuna; 1/2 avocado; jalapeno powder; Tajin); 1 sweet potato; jicama

• Briefly felt sick about 2 hours after lunch. Felt stomach pangs similar to the day I had to leave home early from work, when I think I also had canned tuna.

M3: Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausage; asparagus (roasted in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P); zucchini (sauteed in olive oil; seasoned w/ S&P, La Boite's Shabazi); Nature's Promise Organic Dijon Mustard; Silk Original Unsweetened Cashew Milk

• Post-dinner BM, but it was kind of hard.

W30 Day 4

Active Rest Day

Slept more soundly than I have in a long time--only 4x restless! And I woke up 3 minutes before my alarm. Had another hard BM first thing in the morning. I can tell my body's getting back on track! Also, this might be a weird tip to share, but I've found that crossing my legs and learning forward slightly when on the toilet helps me eliminate more quickly and completely. 

M1: Shakshuka (3 eggs, tomato sauce, cumin, smoked paprika, tumeric, spinach); POTG hot cereal (mixed with cacao powder & cinnamon; topped w/ frozen raspberries)

• Another BM after breakfast! This one was way looser though, so I'm wondering if the tomato sauce I used was a little too old. It had been hanging out in the fridge for a couple weeks. 

M2: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; zucchini (sautéed in EVOO; seasoned w/ S&P; La Boite's Shabazi); asparagus (roasted in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P); jicama; macadamia nuts

M3: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; zucchini (sautéed in EVOO; seasoned w/ S&P; La Boite's Shabazi); asparagus (roasted in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P); jicama (sprinkled w/ Tajin); 1/2 avocado (sprinkled w/ Tajin); Nature's Promise Organic Dijon Mustard; Silk Original Unsweetened Cashew Milk

NSV: So today I've come to realize that I've managed to come back from a week of off-roading without any major hem-hawing about returning to the plan or making excuses and prolonging my foray into Unhealthy Food Land. The fact that it was easy for me to return to healthy eating (ant that I WANED TO) feels like a huge victory to me! I am wondering whether I should turn this into a Whole7/10 or commit to the full Whole30. I feel like I could be OK doing something shorter, but I would hate to reneg on the commitment I've made to myself.

W30 Day 5
SC Week 1, Day 3

Back at the gym today wearing new workout capris. I managed to get 6 pairs at $7 apiece at Walmart because of a price difference between site and store. Saved $36! Now I just need to buy some new sports bras. Sleep was surprisingly poor (13x restless), especially in the few hours before waking.

M1: 1/2 3-egg frittata w/ zucchini & spinach (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P, white pepper, & La Boite's Shabazi); POTG hot cereal (mixed w/ cinnamon, cacao powder, cacao nibs & frozen raspberries)

• I completed my workout (SC W1D3 plus 15 minutes cardio on the Precor AMT Open Stride) with enough time to come home, eat a post-wo meal, shower, and get ready for work.

Pot-wo: 1/2 can skipjack tuna; jicama

M2: 1/2 can skipjack tuna; 1/2 3-egg frittata w/ zucchini & spinach (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ S&P, white pepper, & La Boite's Shabazi); jicama; carrots; macadamia nuts

• Ate a few bits of the chicken drumsticks I prepared between shifts. I had to test doneness!

M3: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; zucchini (sautéed in coconut oil; seasoned w/ La Boîte's Shabazi); macadamia nuts; 1/3 sweet potato w/ raw almond butter; 2 dates

Snack: French fries. 

• I know, I know, fries aren't okay by W30 rules, but I frankly think that is a silly rule. If you're gonna let me fry plantains, I can fry white potato. 

No BM today. Boooooo. I did, however, drink 84 oz water! That's the 4th day in a row I've met my daily water goal. I was doing really great with it during the end of my W100 and during reintros, but fell off the wagon for a bit. I have noticed that my skin has been really poor lately. I think it's all the junk I ate last week coming to a head. 

W30 Day 6

SC Week 1, Day 4 

BM first thing in the morning (thankfully). Today's the last strength training day of the week. Tomorrow is another "active rest" day, and the day after is plain old rest. 

M1: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; 1/2 sweet potato (drizzled w/ raw almond butter; topped with cacao nibs & cinnamon); asparagus (roasted in coconut oil); dijon mustard; 1/2 avocado (sprinkled w/ Tajin)

M2: 2 chicken drumsticks (seasoned w/ S&P; rosemary); asparagus (roasted in coconut oil); baby carrots; macadamia nu

Post-wo: 1 chicken drumstick (seasoned w/ S&P; rosemary)

• Completed SC W1D4 & 15 minutes of cardio on the Precor AMT Open Stride.

M3: Spinach; salsa; ground beef (seasoned w/ salt, white pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, shawarma seasoning; Penzey's Chili 9000); sweet potato (drizzled w/ raw almond butter; topped with cacao nibs & cinnamon); 1 glass Silk Original Unsweetened Cashew milk; 1 date

• Stomach cramping and another BM 3.5 hrs after dinner.

W30 Day 7

Active Rest Day

Woke up at 6:30 without an alarm (!), but decided to go back to sleep. Woke up again at 7:30. Today I'm headed to Pittsburgh and will be staying overnight. Going to bring some compliant foods, of course. 

M1: Ground beef (seasoned w/ salt, white pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, shawarma seasoning; Penzey's Chili 9000); sweet potato; POTG cereal (sprinkled w/ cinnamon); 1 glass Silk Original Unsweetened Cashew milk

• Back to the regular morning BM after breakfast.

​M2: Ground beef (seasoned w/ salt, white pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, shawarma seasoning; Penzey's Chili 9000); sweet potato (topped w/ almond butter, cinnamon, & cacao nibs; Silk Original Unsweetened Cashew milk

Snack: grapes 

M3: Spinach, arugula & rainbow chard salad w/ jicama, radish, tomato, & avocado; homemade dressing (champagne vinegar; olive oil; fresh squeezed orange juice; chopped garlic); hamburger (seasoned w/ S&P, chili); onion, red pepper & mushroom (sauteed in olive oil)

W30 Day 8

Rest Day

Today was a weird food day. I grazed out of necessity because I was still out of town. However, I did get to visit my friend for raises chickens, and he gave me a dozen fresh eggs. I also got to stop at Whole Foods, and bought compliant hot dogs & chorizo, salsa verde, Kite Hill Truffle, Dill & Chive almond milk cheese, probiotic kimchi, sauerkraut, and Tessemae's Lemon Chesapeake dressing. 

M1: banana

M2: 2 servings ground beef (seasoned w/ salt, white pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, shawarma seasoning; Penzey's Chili 9000); baby carrots; macadamia nuts

Snack: sweet potato

M3: Chicken & broccoli (sauteed in coconut aminos & fish sauce); kimchi; nori; sesame seeds; frozen mango & pineapple; coconut milk; cacao nibs

• Post-M3 BM that was half fine and half (very) loose. 

W30 Day 9

SC Week 2, Day 1

M1: 3 eggs (from my friends farm!) scrambled in coconut oil; steamed broccoli; kimchi; coconut butter mixed w/ cinnamon

• Completed SC W2D1 and 30 minutes of cardio on the Precor AMT Open Stride. I added 5-7.5 lbs to all of my dumbbell exercises!

Post-wo: 1 chicken drumstick

M2: 2 chicken drumsticks; broccoli; green olives

M3: Coconut shrimp (coconut flour; coconut flakes; egg; cooked in coconut oil); broccoli

Snack: 2 dates; almond butter; macadamia nuts; cacao nibs. 

No BM today.

Today I bought Green Mountain Mustard Company's Deli Dirt Mustard. Haven't tried it yet, but it's regular mustard mixed with the seasonings you'd find on an everything bagel. Yum! I'm also thinking about placing a giant Vitacost order...

W30 Day10

SC Week 2, Day 2

BM first thing this morning. 

M1: 3 egg frittata w/ broccoli and Kite Hill Truffle, Dill & Chive almond milk cheese (seasoned w/ S&P; white pepper; TJ's 21 seasoning salute; chive; cooked in coconut oil)

• Completed SC W2D2 and added 10 lbs to my lat pulldown (now at 60 lbs, 8 reps). Also completed 20 minutes of cardio on the Precor AMT Open Stride.

Post-wo: Skipjack tuna w/ balsamic vinegar

M2: Skipjack tuna w/ balsamic vinegar; sauerkraut; coconut milk; frozen mango & pineapple; cacao nibs

M3: Zucchini boats filled w/ ground beef, mushroom, onion, garlic, & green peppers; grapes; frozen pineapple; coconut milk; almonds

W30 Day 11
Active Rest Day

So I went to the doctor yesterday and they weighed me at the beginning of he appointment. I didn't look, but when I got home, my weight was listed on my paperwork: 146.4. This is 4.5 heavier than my measurement 11 days ago. It didn't really get me down, but I did spend some effort trying to explain the apparent weight gain (e.g., differences in scale calibration; I'm putting on muscle; I was wearing clothes and shoes when normally I'd weight myself naked; I'd already eaten a big breakfast and drank lots of water that day, when I'd normally weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom).

I compared photos of myself from this morning to ones from May 22nd, and they're really not that different. Maybe my stomach is a little flatter and my back is a little tighter. However, I think I look better in my clothes.

M1: 3 eggs w/ fish sauce, scrambled in coconut oil; 1/2 sweet potato; kimchi; OTGP hot cereal w/ cinnamon, cacao powder & cacao nibs

M2: skipjack tuna w/ balsamic vinegar; 1/2 sweet potato; sauerkraut; macadamia nuts

M3: canned salmon (a whole 4.5-serving can. Whoops); Kite Hill almond milk cheese; cacao nibs; a little coconut milk; 2 dates; olives; sweet potato

Snack: canned pineapple; almond butter; carrots

No BM today. 

W30 Day 12

SC Week 2, Day 3

I've been experiencing breakthrough bleeding for the last 3 days. I know this can happen during a Whole30, but it is likely also due to missing my BC pill one day. 

M1: 2 eggs scrambled w/ fish sauce (in coconut oil); mixed spring greens & carrots tossed w/ Tessemae's Lemon Chesapeake dressing

• Holy wow. I just had the most uncomfortable BM I've EVER had while on a Whole30. It was like constipation, even though I moved a lot. My BMs were good quality/consistency/color, but were much skinnier than they usually are. Weird! 
  • Completed SC W2D3 w/ 17.5 lb one arm rows (12 reps), 15 lb dumbbell bench presses (12 reps) and 20 lb dumbbell RDLs (12 reps). Gonna go up 2.5 lbs on each for next week. Didn't have time for cardio today. 

Post-wo:1/2 can skipjack tuna w/ balsamic vinegar

M2:1/2 can skipjack tuna w/ balsamic vinegar; Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; baby carrots; grape tomatoes; 1/2 sweet potato; olives

M3: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; baby carrots; grape tomatoes; 1/2 sweet potato; olives

Snack/M4: Baby carrots; almond butter; canned salmon; 1 can pineapple

• So I ate M3 at 4:30, and went straight to a party where the whole point was to play drinking games. I didn't drink, and I didn't eat the brownies or cookies people brought. Instead, I drank water and munched on carrots. When I got home at 10:45, I was really hungry. I Probably shouldn't have eaten that much pineapple again, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it because I really enjoyed it. 

W30 Day 13

SC Week 2, Day 4

M1: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; Deli Dirt mustard; sauerkraut; mixed spring greens, 1/2 avocado and cherry tomatoes tossed w/ Tessemae's Lemon Chesapeake dressing

M2: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; grape tomatoes; baby carrots; olives

Pre-wo: canned salmon; macadamia nuts

• Completed SC W2D4 w/ 50 lb seated row (10 reps), 17.5 lb dumbbell incline press (8 reps), 45 lb rope horizontal chop (10 reps); and a walk to/from the gym (~30 minutes). 

Post-wo: 1/2 can skipjack tuna w/ balsamic vinegar

M3: Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage; Deli Dirt mustard; mixed spring greens, avocado, & artichoke hearts tossed w/ Tessemae's Lemon Chesapeake dressing; 1 grapefruit

No BM today. 

I was really proud of myself today! I ate dinner around 6:30 and then watched Fed Up and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Fed Up really reinforced why it's important to avoid sugar. It made me not want to use any aded sugar ever! Maple syrup, honey, and coconut sugar are exactly the same as any other kind of sugar, so I don't see why the Paleo community is OK with using those rather than other kinds. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead was basically an infomercial for the wonders of juicing. I've had a Breville Juice Fountain on my Amazon wishlist for ages, but I've never taken the plunge. The movie said that (in 2011) it would cost $14/day to do a juice fast, and $29/day to do a juice fast with only organic fruits and veggies. Considering that it's so much about consuming leafy greens, and kale/spinach are on the dirty dozen list, you would almost definitely be going the expensive route. Now, I'm not really interested in doing a juice fast, but I don't think the cost is a practical expense for me right now. If someone bought me a Breville as a gift, though...

Also, I went to a Bonfire at 9:30 where I avoided alcohol, s'mores, and mountain pies (basically, an over-the campfire Hot Pocket). Went home at 11 and hung out with my neighbor, who offered me more booze (which, again, I declined). I love alcohol, but it really screws with my skin. And my skin has been looking SO GOOD since I've been drinking 74+ oz water per day. 

W30 Day 14

Active Rest Day

Food prep day! I really slacked off last week (as you could probably tell from the number of sausages and salads I ate. Here's what I made today:

• Roasted spaghetti squash
  • Sautéed onion & cabbage (in coconut oil, w/ ACV, S&P)
  • Olive oil mayo
  • Sweet potato mash
  • Crockpot chicken chile verde
  • "Vodka sauce" (marinara sauce + coconut milk)

M1: 3 egg frittata w/ broccoli topped w/ Kite Hill Truffle DIll & Chive almond milk cheese (seasoned w/ fish sauce; white better; black pepper; TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute; chive; cooked in coconut oil); 1 glass almond milk w/ cinnamon

M2: Spaghetti squash, wilted mixed spring greens, & shrimp in "vodka sauce"

M3: Chicken chile verde over broccoli & mashed sweet potato; kalamata olives; kohlrabi (drizzled w/ avocado oil & seasoned w/ salt); unsweetened applesauce (w/ cinnamon, cacao powder, & cacao nibs)

• BM post-dinner

M4: 1/2 can skipjack tuna w / balsamic vinegar; baby carrots; sweet potato w/ almond butter, cinnamon & cacao nibs

• Ate this around 10:45 PM. It was the perfect fuel to go dancing for an hour and a half! This was another occasion where I successfully said no to drinking alcohol. This time, people started to ask me about it. I said I was doing it for my health (especially my skin), and that I'm only trying to drink when its really "worth it." I was a little gassy while dancing and did feel like I had to have another BM by the time I walked home, but that didn't happen. 

W30 Day 15
Rest Day

Well, I guess this is the halfway mark for my Whole30. I am feeling an urge to step on the scale today, but of course, I'll resist.

If I could give people advice about the best things they can do for their skin to clear blemishes, it would be to drink plenty of water and eat clean. I never really believed that water and food could have such an impact on my skin, but my skin improves dramatically when I avoid gluten/sugar/alcohol/dairy/legumes, and even more so when I'm drinking 72+ oz water/day.

M1: Spaghetti squash, wilted mixed spring greens, & shrimp in "vodka sauce"; 1 glass Silk Original Unsweetened Almond milk w/ cinnamon

• Post-breakfast BM

M2: Chicken chile verde over sauteed cabbage & onions; sweet potato mash w/ almond butter, cinnamon & cacao nibs; applesauce w/ cinnamon, cacao powder, & caco nibs

M3: Chicken chile verde over sauteed cabbage & onions; kalamata olives

W0 Day 16

SC Week 3, Day 1

BM first thing this morning. I knew I had to have one, and it took a little effort at first, but it was quality. Looking forward to getting back to the gym today and seeing if I can push myself. I also found out that a pet supply store in town (of all places) sells cage free eggs from a local farm for $2/dozen! I'll be buying 2 dozen tomorrow. Also, I got my Vitacost order in the mail! 

M1: Spaghetti squash, mixed spring greens, & shrimp in "vodka sauce; macadamia nuts; 1 glass Silk Original Unsweetened Almond milk w/ cinnamon.

• I eat SO MUCH CINNAMON. Though I did just find out that my Badia cinnamon is not Ceylon, so I may need to go purchase that.

M2: Chicken chile verde over sauteed cabbage & onions; sweet potato mash w/ almond butter, cinnamon & cacao nibs; applesauce w/ cinnamon, cacao powder, & cacao nibs

• Completed SC W2D1 and 30 minutes of HIIT. I bumped up my dumbbell exercises by 2.5 lbs each: 20 lb one arm rows (10 reps x 3); 17.5 lb dumbbell bench press (10 reps x 2/8 reps x 1); 22.5 lb RDLs (16 reps x 3). Also bumped up my glute bridges by 10 reps (30 reps x 3)

Post-wo: Chicken chile verde; baby carrots

M3: Chicken Chile verde; sauteed cabbage & onions; broccoli; Crio Bru

(Mini) M4: Chicken chile verde; sweet potato; baby carrots

• Took Vitacost's version of Natural Calm (Natural Tranquility) for the first time tonight. We'll see how daily magnesium works for me! I'm hoping to sleep a little better, feel a little more relaxed, and have more regular BMs. 

W30 Day 17

SC Week 3, Day  2

Oh my goodness, I slept so poorly last night! My Fitbit read that I was restless only 13x (by no means a high for me), but it seemed to take forever to fall asleep and it felt like I was doing a lot of tossing and turning. Apparently the Crio Bru has an energy-enhancing substance in it, so next time I have 2 cups I won't be doing after 12 PM. I don't know if the effects of the Crio Bru interrupted the effects of the Natural Tranquility. We'll see what happens when I take it again tonight.

Also, I woke up with sore glutes for either the first of second time. That HIIT workout really activated them! It's also showing me how much I am NOT activating my glutes during SC, even though I'm trying. 

M1: 3-egg frittata w/ broccoli (cooked in coconut oil; seasoned w/ fish sauce, white pepper, TJ's 21 Seasoning Salute; Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom Powder); 1 glass Silk Original Unsweetened Almond Milk w/ cinnamon

• Complted SC W3D2 and a 25 minute walk. Tday really made me sweat! My arms feel like Jell-O. I added 70 lbs to my front lat pulldown (60 lbs for 12 reps x 1/70 lbs for 8 reps x 2). I did 15 lb dumbbell military presses (8 reps x 3)--I was really hoping to go up to 17.5 on these today but after the lat pulldowns, 15 lbs felt really heavy. Also, I know I could improve my form on these--I think I'm arching my back too much.

Post-wo: Chicken chile verde

M2: Chorizo & 1 egg over spaghetti squash w/ salsa verde; kohlrabi w/ EVOO & balsamic; applesauce w/ cinnamon, cacao powder & cacao nibs

M3: Fresh-pressed spinach/apple/carrot/orange juice; a couple raisins; hamburger; ratatouille (eggplant; zucchini; tomato; tomato sauce; onion; yellow squash; peppers); macadamia nuts; applesauce w/ cacao powder & cacao nibs

• Post-dinner BM was a little effortful.

W30 Day 18 

Active Rest Day

I thought I slept better last night but apparently I was 15x restless (2 more than last night!). I did have a BM immediately upon waking, which was good. I'm noticing that lately I'm having good BMs, but it takes a little while to get them moving. That was also the case the day before taking Natural Tranquility, so I'm not sure if it's to do with that.

M1: 1 egg (seasoned w S&P); chorizo; ratatouille (eggplant; zucchini; tomato; tomato sauce; onion; yellow squash; peppers)

M2: Chicken chile verde; broccoli; baby carrots; macadamia nuts; cacao nibs

M3: 1 egg (seasoned w S&P); chorizo; ratatouille (eggplant; zucchini; tomato; tomato sauce; onion; yellow squash; peppers); dollop of homemade mayo; applesauce w/ cacao powder & La Boite Bombay N. 3; baby carrots; Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk w/ cinnamon

W30 Day 19

SC Week 3, Day 3

According to my Fitbit, I had even more restless sleep last night (17x restless)! So strange. I wonder if I'm one of those people who magnesium keys up, rather than relaxes. Or, perhaps, I'm already getting enough from my intake of cacao nibs? The nibs I have now have 88% DV magnesium for 1 oz. I don't think I have 1 oz per day (just a generous sprinkle on whatever I'm putting them on), but maybe that's enough to make it "too much" magnesium. However, I'm not having diarrhea, so the usual laxative effect of "too much" is lost on me.

Also, I bought Well Fed and Well Fed 2, which are $1.99 each in Kindle form for a limited time!

M1: 3 eggs scrambled w/ fish sauce (in coconut oil); broccoli; homemade mayo

• Completed SC W3D3 (Seated row: 50 lbs for 12 reps/60 lbs for 8 reps/50 lbs for 10 reps; Dumbbell incline press: 17.5 lbs for 10 reps x1/8 reps x2; 50 lb rope horizontal chop) & 20-minute walk. 

Post-wo: Hard-boiled egg; 45 min later: 2 dates; 2 macadamia nuts

M2: 3 hard-boiled eggs; broccoli; macadamia nuts

M3: Chorizo; broccoli; macadamia nuts

M4: 2 hard-boiled eggs; beets; homemade mayo; mango

No BM today.

W30 Day 20

SC Week 3 Day 4

So I am very seriously considering ending my W30 today. I'll be in PGH for the weekend, going out dancing and doing other fun 4th of July things. I have no desire to change how I'm eating, but I really want to drink. And maybe smoke a cigarette. We shall see.

Anyway, I did sleep better last night (11x restless)! I was exhausted and went to bed at 10, which is earlier than what's been typical lately. Also, I slept in total darkness for the first time in a while.

M1: 3 eggs scrambled in fish sauce (cooked in coconut oil); brussels sprouts (roasted in olive oil); homemade mayo

• Gym is closed, so I did the bodyweight only version of today's workout. 

Post-wo: 3 shrimp w/ salsa verde

I ate compliantly for the rest of the day and did not drink, but did have a few cigarettes.

LAW20 Day 1

SC Week 4 Day 1

On Saturday I ate as compliantly as possible, but know that some non-compliant ingredients slipped into my meals (e.g., sugar in fish sauce and BBQ sauce; soy sauce in the marinade for veggies). I also smoked a few cigarettes and had a few drinks over the course of the day: a glass of wine, 2 hard ciders, and an Old Fashioned. I over-indulged on protein, but I didn't eat foods that I knew would make me feel ill (e.g., hot dogs, cookies, cupcakes, pasta salad). 

On Sunday, I let my sugar dragon rear its head: I had a can of crushed pineapple, some blueberries, and Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Yet again, I've been shown that alcohol affects my food judgment the following day. I did get to do some food prep, though: sweet potato mash, roasted asparagus (in EVOO), sauteed zucchini (in coconut oil w/ LaBoite's Shabazi), and sauteed mushrooms (in coconut oil w/ truffle salt). I also bought a pork butt to put in the crock pot for later in the week.

I forgot to take my Natural Tranquility on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night (left it at home) so I'll get back on that tonight.

Honestly, I feel good about how I handled myself over on Friday and Saturday. I didn't get sick. I haven't broken out like a teenager. But on Sunday, I ate those sweet foods past the point of fullness, and past the point when they stopped tasting really great. I didn't need them--I just wanted to be eating. I did also slack on water on Friday (48 oz) and Sunday (a paltry 8 oz).

I'm planning to eat compliantly for the next two weeks. Then I'm a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding, and I know I'll be drinking and eating noncompliant foods.

Oh, also, I weighed myself today. My scale at home read 143.2, and the scale at the gym read 146.2. It appears I have gained about a pound and a half (if I'm going with my scale's measurements), but I'm not sure if it's bloat from noncompliant foods, muscle I've put on from the gym, or both. I'm trying not to feel discouraged that I've put on weight since doing a Whole30 (err... Whole20)--and I think I'm succeeding. Today at the gym, I saw muscles in my calves that I've never seen before. Even my forearms are more muscular! And I'm starting to get callouses on my palms from the dumbbells.

I also don't feel too bad about only doing 20 days compliant (rather than 30) for a few reasons: 

1. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a full Whole30 to begin with, but didn't know where an appropriate end point would be to feel back on track, so I just went with 30. 
  2. I started feeling back on track way before day 20.
  3. I've completed a Whole100 before... I don't need to prove to myself that I can do 30 days. 
  4. I got right back to eating clean after the weekend, as expected. 
  5. I do still have ton continue to work on my relationship with food (see below), but I'm getting there. And they definitely wouldn't have gone away magically at day 30.

Here's today's food and exercise:

M1: Stupid Easy Paelo's blueberry tortilla (3 eggs); zucchini & brussels sprouts; homemade mayo

• Completed SC W4D1: 30 glute bridges x 3; 25 lb one arm dumbbell rows (9 reps x 2; 7 reps x 1); 17.5 lb one arm dumbbell rows (8 reps x 1); 17.5 lb dumbbell bench press (10 reps x 3); 20 box squats x 3; 27.5 lb dumbbell RDLs (12 reps x 3); 30 side laying abductions (1x each side); 1 minute plank; 1 minute side plank (1x each side)

Post-wo: Baked chicken breast seasoned w/ Penzeys Trinidad

M2: Baked chicken breast seasoned w/ Penzey's Trinidad; asparagus; mushrooms; macadamia nuts

M3: Baked chicken breast seasoned w/ Penzey's Trinidad; asparagus; macadamia nuts

Snack: Applesauce w/ raising & cacao nibs (seasoned w/ cacao powder, cinnamon, & La Boite Bombay); a few more raisins.

(Mini) M4: Baby carrots; almond butter; baked chicken seasoned w/ Penzeys Trinidad

• Can't lie... even though I was hungry, this was definitely some stress eating. And no BM today.

LAW20 Day 2

SC Week 4 Day 2

Though I slept for less than 7 hours, I had the most sound night's sleep I have in a long while (only 5x restless!).

M1: Stupid Easy Paleo's blueberry tortilla; zucchini; homemade mayo

• Completed SC W4D2 (70 lb front lat pulldown 12 reps x 1/10 reps x 1/6 reps x 1 (w/ wider arms); bodyweight step up 15 reps x3; 15 lb dumbbell military press 12 reps x 1/10 reps x 1/9 reps x1; bodyweight 45 degree back extension 15 reps x 3; 20 one leg glute bridges on each side x 3; 30 crunches; 20 side crunches on each side)

Post-wo: Baked chicken breast seasoned w/ Penzey's Trinidad

M2: grilled chicken salad w/ romaine, roasted red peppers, carrots, red onion, kalamata olives, artichoke, oil & red wine vinegar

M3: Madras curry chicken salad; zucchini; mushrooms; homemade mayo; applesauce w/ cacao nibs & raisins (seasoned w/ cacao powder, cinnamon, & La Boite Bombay)

3 BMs today: one in the morning, one an hour after dinner, and one a few hours afer that.

LAW20 Day 2

Active Rest Day

Woke up feeling sore, which tells me I had a good day at the gym. 8x restless last night, which is still a major improvement over last week. Made pork carnitas in the crock pot today. Here's the recipe:

• 3 lb bone-in pork butt roast
  • 10 oz can diced tomato and chiles
  • 1 tbsp. Maldon salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 10 oz chicken stock

M1: Stupid Easy Paleo's blueberry tortilla (w/ the addition of cacao powder); organic mixed spring greens salad w/ avocado, tomato, and Lemon Chesapeake dressing

M2: 2 Applegate Farms beef hot dogs; mustard; organic mixed spring greens salad w/ avocado, tomato, and Lemon Chesapeake dressing

M3: Pork carnitas; sweet potato; organic spring greens; applesauce w/ cacao nibs & raisins (seasoned w/ cinnamon & cacao powder)

Archived