What about chickens and grain fed?

Jena

I understand we should be looking for both grass fed and finished beef etc but what about chickens? I've found some places that talk of having pastured chickens but seems they also feed them something. Should I be trying to find chickens that only eat grass and bugs or if they are fed other feed is that okay?

You should be looking for pasture raised but they are hard to find. My whole foods and trader joes sometimes have them. Chicken is very lean though so if you have to buy factory frame chicken, just don't eat the skin. That's where most of the fat is

Pasture raised chickens are definitely the best, but you can expect them to be fed some supplemental grain/feed. Try to locate a farmer that doesn't feed GMO products and uses an organic feed without arsenic. If a farmer/company can claim that their chickens are 100% vegetarian fed, then you can bet they are not pastured.

So...even though we are supposed to avoid soy, it is ok if the chickens are fed a diet that is organic and contains corn and soy as long as those ingredients are non gmo. I bought organic chicken at Costco. The label states that they are fed an organic vegetarian diet. I sent an e-mail to the company and they replied that their chickens are fed non gmo organic corn and soy grain arsenic free.

My rule is just if it's not pasture raised I only eat the skin occasionally but rarely. Again I think one of the big concerns is quality of fats and chicken meat is very lean so I'm not too concerned with it. For whole30 just do your best and skip the skin if you're unsure.

Cornish hens are basically small chickens. They are a hybrid breed of chicken, I've wondered for years how they are able to label them Cornish Game Hens - they aren't game birds, and they aren't necessarily hens! One of those things that makes me shake my head at the grocery.

Archived