AnnaH

I have attempted the Whole 30, lasted 5 days and gave up. Unfortunately, I didn't pick a great time in my personal calendar. It was loaded with social engagements that made being compliant extremely difficult. I have however, found great value in following the shopping lists and meal plan template! I am trying to do the best I can with what my schedule and budget will allow. 

I have historically purchased my meat in bulk and then packaged them in smaller bags with a marinade. This has been great because I have been able to pull them from the freezer and while they thaw they marinade. This has allowed me to not eat the same boring plain chicken/pork each night.

I have been using the Lawry's 30 min marinades - which I know is not compliant! I am looking for simple compliant marinades that are flavorful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

I like to take extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, smashed garlic cloves and rosemary--either fresh or dry along with freshly cracked black pepper and pour over tri tips, london broil, flank steak, other steak cuts and marinate up to 24 hours. You could do the same with a light vinegar--sherry, champagne, apple cider vinegar--so long as they are compliant for lighter meats. For pork, you could zest an orange and chop up apple and add to the marinade as well, perhaps add some sage. Add lemon zest and thyme either with or as a sub for the rosemary for chicken. I don't salt the meat until it is nearly ready to go in the oven--about 30 minutes or so before hand. I am sure these would be great in the freezer! You could even play around with adding ginger for an Asian flair too! 

hope these give you a few ideas to start! 

• 2 months later...

Best Marinade Ever:

1/3 cup coconut aminos

1/2 cup olive oil or other compliant oil

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup compliant Worcestershire sauce (I make my own, but if you don't have any I would do like a tablespoon of fish sauce, a tablespoon of vinegar, and some hot sauce)

1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons dried basil

1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes

1 teaspoon ground white pepper (or black pepper if you don't have any)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

4 cloves minced garlic

Let sit for at least an hour....Omnomnomnom.  I have tried it on beef and pork...chicken is up next.

Archived