Newbie starting on February 15, 2015

Gidstastic

Hi! I'm Kelsey, a 27-yr-old American living in Perth, Australia. I recently learned about Whole30 from a friend, so I did some research, and found the program to be exactly what I'm looking for. I've been heavy my entire life, and know that many years of unhealthy habits and a warped relationship with food have brought me to this point. Moving away from America and my friends and family who share the same unhealthy relationship with food has given me an opportunity to reset myself and my health. I'm confident that Whole30 will provide me with the guidance I need to be successful.

I am starting my first Whole30 on February 15, 2015.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey

I am planning to start on 15 Feb as well - one last drink of cava on valentines !!  :wub:

This will be my 2nd time round - but only managed 28 days last time - it all went wrong at Christmas / New Year.

I too have had weight problems and struggle big style to stay in shape - which has lead to eating & exercise issues. 

I also have an underactive pituitary gland which has wiped out my thyroid function - this doesn't help.

What i really liked about the last whole 30 was the clarity in my head - my head felt clean.

The chatting on this forum will help - i think with being on holiday last time i stopped communicating and went off the rails.

Happy to join you. Lets make it a good one.

Zoe  :D

My teammate told me about this program and I am taking the plunge! I plan on starting February 15 as well.

My real name is JB, though I'm on here under my derby name, Kink. I am 27 and live a fairly active lifestyle. I play roller derby 2-3 times a week and cross train through weight training, cardio (yuck), and yoga another 3ish days a week. I eat a lot of junk and that needs to stop.

Glad to have some buddies!

I'm starting on the 15th since my husband's birthday is on the 14th, and it gives me a few days to read up and shop around.

It seems it may be difficult to get grass-fed beef (apparently hard to do in Western Oz due to climate), and finding things like ghee will be hard, so I'll have to make my own. This is going to be a massive change for me, but I feel quite positive about it, and the more I read and study, the better I feel. I'm a lover of science, and this plan just makes sense to me.

I have a trip planned to America in September, and would love to be in better health and shape by then. I'm also driven to succeed because I would love to return home to inspire my mom and sister to make positive changes as well.

Would love to follow/ be followed by any of you on Instagram (KelsWadd) as that's the social media I'll be using for my Whole30 experience.

Adchristie

Hi there 

I have three hungry boys so clearing out cupboards is never going to happen

I too try and make sure they are not eating too much rubbish

We run a gluten free house as we have coeliacs in the family so there is at least a good awareness of how some food can be really bad for you

Wish you all the best

We will all be here for you

Zoe 

My cupboards won't be without temptation at home. Husband is a very picky eater and likes what he likes. We're basically just pretending we're roommates during my Whole30, and we're each in charge of our own meals for the month. I told him he is absolutely not allowed to offer me any sort of food he is munching during the month as well. That should be fine for me. My day job is as a nanny for a 3 and 6 year old, and I prepare them dinner every day. Luckily the parents I work for follow a mainly paleo diet, so there will be any ingredients I need for meals at work with the family. The kids have great habits of eating fruit, veg, and protein, so there won't be much to tempt me there.

I've even found a few recipes I can use from a few kids cookbooks that are compliant to Whole30, my favorite being pork mince, a grated Granny Smith Apple, grated carrot, and an egg, and seasoned to taste, mixed and shaped into patties and baked. Super simple and quite tasty.

My dog is going to love my meat scraps, and my guinea pigs will love the veggie trimmings, so we're all quite excited. :)

Tomorrow is husband's birthday and the next day I start Whole30.

I'm so ready!

Hi, I'm starting February 15th as well. I just did a Whole 30 ending on Feb. 9th. I did not kill my sugar dragon and it has been biting me in the butt for the past 3 days. So, I want to start again. My goals are to stick to the 3 meals a day and quit snacking. I am going to completely eliminate dried fruit and larabars (even for emergencies!) because they prop up my sugar cravings!

On my last whole30 I was pleased to find that my chronic hip pain went away and I had tons of energy, especially in the morning, and even after mostly only getting 6 hours of sleep at night. Incidentally, I have eaten sugar and gluten the past 3 days, and feel lethargic compared to what I felt like on the whole30. AND I came down with a cold! I think I was maybe more susceptible because I started eating junk again.

I have 2 kids, so my other goal is to get them more on board this time, maybe not 100% but at least cutting out junk.

• Administrators

Hi, I'm starting February 15th as well. I just did a Whole 30 ending on Feb. 9th. I did not kill my sugar dragon and it has been biting me in the butt for the past 3 days. So, I want to start again. My goals are to stick to the 3 meals a day and quit snacking. I am going to completely eliminate dried fruit and larabars (even for emergencies!) because they prop up my sugar cravings!

Hi Audrey, as well as eliminating the dried fruit and larabars, you would also make headway by making sure that anytime that dragon calls for something sweet you give it either nothing or protein and fat.  Even using fresh fruit when your cravings are calling out to you will keep them alive.  Fruit is fine as a part of a full meal but don't use it as a "sweet" source and try very, very hard not to eat it alone.  :)

You can also increase your starchy veggies as needed as that can assist with beating down the sugar cravings also as that desire for sugary-sweet items is often a misinterpreted call for carbs....sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, winter squash etc are all fine choices.  Folks here also have had good experiences when adding those starchy veggies to their mid and end of day meal rather than the first one.  Sometimes eating carby foods such as that at the first meal of the day will keep you searching/seeking for the rest of the day.

Good Luck!

I so need to get started - roll on sunday  

Hi Audrey my sugar demon has been kicking in too 

I agree about any bars (we have nakd bars over here) and dried fruit - for some of us it is just as bad a sugar 

Hi ladyshanny - thanks for the tip on starchy vegs - I tend not to eat these which is maybe why the sugar demon is about 

Well, I've started! Did a massive shop today. Definitely more produce than I've ever bought in one shop before! Came home and spent a few hours chopping veggies, washing fruit, and cooked up a few meals, with extra for freezing. I made steak fajitas to have in lettuce wraps, and burger patties (Pork mince, 1 shredded carrot, 1 shredded Granny Smith Apple, 1 egg). Tomorrow I'm making something with beef mince and chicken breast as well.

Loving all the advice in this thread, especially regarding sugar cravings, as that is a big reason that I'm doing this.

I'm still a bit hungover from celebrating Valentine's and my husband's birthday yesterday, so all this fresh good food is hitting the spot.

I'm totally aware of and prepared for some tough times in the next few weeks, but I am in this until the end!

Cheers,

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey

My first day has started well

Joined a new gym yesterday so had a 1 km swim / sauna / spa and steam room to start the day 

Food is going well - possibly too much fat - but will know better for tomorrow

So ready for this 

Good luck with tomorrow

Zoe

Hello all, i'm starting today as well. I'm a 58 year old female with about 25 lbs to lose but that isn't the focus for this journey. It is my unhealthy relationship with food as some of you also mentioned. It's time i put that battle behind me and focus on being healthy. This is OUR YEAR to be our best. Looking forward to keeping in touch and helping each other. We can do this!

Hi Kelsey,

I started the Whole 30 today too (woo-hoo!)! How's it going so far?

I so relate to unhealthy eating patterns. Despite the fact that I am totally fascinated with nutrition (always loved researching & learning about it), I have pretty much struggled with binge & emotional eating since I was a child. For me, the challenge has always been applying what I know to myself (go figure...lol).

I've tried many programs and they've helped to varying degrees - but I've never really truly ever been able to break the hold that sugar has had on me, or the habit of reaching for food to fill whatever void (boredom & a case of the lonely's being the big two). Has anyone else struggled with this? If so, what has gotten you through?

Also, all of the advice on how to deal with sugar cravings has been awesome! Angela, I too would love to join the forum that you mentioned (for those starting on the 18th) , if that's okay :-)

Best,

Maureen

P.S. Does anyone have any easy/quick ideas on using unsweetened canned pumpkin? 

@AdChristie - congrats!! My day #2 is going well too. I'm so happy! Yesterday, I had a rough patch after my 1st meal, but made it through. I added MUCH more fat to my 2nd meal (and made it larger in general) yesterday, and that nixed any junk food/binge thoughts. Plus, it kept me satiated for 4.5 hours...woo-hoo!! I'm enjoying the information that I'm already learning about my body :-)

@LadyShanny - thank you so much for the link!!

- Maureen

Hi everyone! My name is Tricia & I am starting my second Whole 30 today. Y'all are a day ahead of me but it's close enough :) I completed my first Whole 30 earlier this year and had great results. Besides losing 10 pounds, I had a ton of energy, woke up feeling ready for my day, and stopped getting those 3pm headaches that were a real downer. I always lurked on the forums but never posted and that's something I'd like to change with this go around. Thanks & happy clean eating :) 

Well done Tricia re your last whole 30

I would really love to loose 10 pounds - hopefully I will get close

I think posting as you go is a good idea - I went off the rails on day 28 last time!! I think with it being Christmas I stopped keeping in touch

Keep with us

Zoe

Archived