Whole30 Reintroduction and beyond

Brooklyn esq.

Yesterday was my first day post-W30. I decided to start my reintroduction with dairy because I don't think I have any issue there. Along with my compliant meals, I had:

-milk in my coffee at breakfast

-2 small slices (1 oz or less) cheddar cheese at breakfast

-1 whole-milk greek yogurt for dessert after dinner

I have not experienced any effects from this today, as expected.

I learned yesterday that I cannot have lunch at 12:30 pm and get through an entire 2-hour dance class from 6:30 to 8:30 pm with only a single egg beforehand to sustain me. I need much more of a meal before that kind of workout. I got shaky and lightheaded about 2/3 of the way through. I finished, but wasn't happy with my performance.

I'm not planning any other major reintroductions until Saturday (Valentine's Day!). Our tradition is bread (so gluten), cheese, and wine. I'm thrilled to be able to do this but already also planning paleo snacks to accompany (whereas before it would have been all cheese all the time). I'm thinking bacon-wrapped dates, some grain-free crackers (to replace some of the bread), olives, compliant charcuterie. Dessert will be paleo brownies--so, not W30 approved, but the ingredients will all be compliant.

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple weeks, there are a few things I've learned:

Dairy is ok; in addition, I find it easy to control my dairy intake so I feel comfortable with adding it back to my diet from time to time (whole milk, yogurt, and cheese from time to time).

I've reintroduced both gluten and refined sugar and I have increased muscle aches and headaches. I'm not sure which is the culprit, but I intend to cut gluten out for a while and see if that improves something.

Corn seems ok.

I've only introduced legumes once so I'm not sure what that effect is. I am going to try some time gluten-free so I can reintro legumes from a cleaner perspective.

I have a dance performance (my first in 15 years!) in two weeks, so I'm hoping to eat really clean for that period. I'm not going to worry about trace ingredients when I eat out (which is pretty much a necessity for me), but I will (and do) mainly cook for myself and omit non-W30 ingredients (aside from whole dairy).

So, here's the start of my new food log!

Friday, 3/6

B: 3 eggs with cherry tomatoes and spinach, scrambled in ghee; leftover roasted sweet potato & butternut squash; 1/2 avocado; compliant hot sauce; oolong tea

• 2 months later...

Well I didn't keep up the food log and I wish I had.

I unfortunately have somewhat fallen off the wagon. I've gained back 10 lbs, had a resurgence of headaches and achy knees, experience a lot of fatigue in the afternoons, mood is not ideal--as I'm typing this out, I'm realizing how bad it sounds even though I kept telling myself that it was ok to eat a bunch of stuff that I had knew was not the best for me. 

I don't want to do another Whole30 at this point (though I may over the summer), but I thought it would be useful to log my food intake and see if I can improve. So, here's to mid-year resolutions!

Tuesday 5/26

Sleep previous night: 10:15 pm - 5:50 am (cat woke me up early)

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in ghee, 1/2 baked potato, leftover sauteed green beans, 1 c black coffee, 3 cubes watermelon

Mid-morning snack: 3 prunes, small handful cashews

Lunch: Pollo asada with guac, pico, and green salsa, over rice and lettuce (this wasn't my first choice and I won't do it again), dried mango, 1 small square Hu chocolate (cocoa and coconut sugar)

Mid-afternoon snack: Iced coffee with whole milk, cashews, dried mango, 1 small square Hu chocolate, 1 bite coconut Lara Bar

Monday 6/1/15

Rules: No sweets/baked goods/candy, no legumes, no gluten, no grains, minimal dairy.

Sleep previous night: 10:49 pm - 6:30 am, with interruptions. Not a good night's rest and I woke up tired.

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs with mayo, raw sugar snap peas, 4 local strawberries, roasted sweet potato slices, 1.5 c black coffee 

Mid-morning snack: 2 dried pears, hot tea

Lunch: Carrot soup, salad with greens, carrots, broccoli, dried cranberries, tuna, with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. 3 medjool dates (this was not enough and I needed a snack 3 hours later)

Snack (3:30 pm): cashews and raisins

Pre-WO Snack (7 pm): hard-boiled egg with mayo; couple of snow peas with "basilcotta" (a cashew and basil spread made of compliant ingredients)

Workout: 25 mins on elliptical

Dinner (9 pm): garlic-ginger pork medallions; shitakes sauteed in oil and garlic; chard sauteed in oil and garlic; braised turnips with red wine vinegar and small amount of honey. This was all super delicious.

Monday 6/8/15

Guidelines: No sweets/baked goods/candy, no legumes, no gluten, no grains, minimal dairy. Back on the saddle after some celebrations and a weekend away, during which I tried to eat mostly within the guidelines.

Sleep previous night: 11:15 pm - 6:45 am.

Breakfast: 2 softboiled eggs with mayo, 2 small slices organic cheddar, 1 nectarine, 1 Tbsp almond butter (empty fridge today). 1.5 c coffee , 1 Tbsp milk.

Mid-morning snack: Dried unsweetened mango

Lunch: Kale & Spinach salad with chicken, beets, avocado, broccoli, craisins. Lemon and olive oil for dressing. 2 medjool dates.

Pre-WO Snack: banana. Not the best but I forgot my hard-boiled egg at home.

Workout: 1.5 hour dance class. 

Dinner (planned): Shepherd's pie (lamb, mashed sweet potatoes, various veggies), homemade, from the freezer.

Archived