Cravings in day 24?

Yesterday was my day 24 and for some reason I really wanted a beer.  I mean like REALLY wanted a beer. 

I told myself that the urge will pass within 3 minutes and to just keep focused on my work.  Four minutes later (I'm guessing) the urge came back.  Then again, then again, then again; I'm talking it was on-going for at least 25 minutes if not up to 45.  ROUGH-ROUGH-ROUGH!  I work from home and have deliberately left all the alcohol in the house: beer, wine and hard liquor.

I had to stop what I was doing and call my brother so he could talk me off the ledge so to speak.  Well, the call worked and I didn't have a beer and am proud of myself for sticking to it; I would have not been happy with myself today if I hadn't.  Hell, I even went out to dinner last night with my family and didn't have a problem at the restaurant.

The question, is anyone else experiencing STRONG essentially out-of-the-blue desires at this stage?  Does anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks.

Good luck!

• Moderators

Congrats on resisting!

The good news is you know for sure there's nothing your body actually requires from a beer. If you haven't eaten much fruit or starchy veg lately, the craving could be instructive in that you need more carbs. Or it could be as simple as stress. Stress causes cravings. And giving in to the cravings never diminishes the stress. In fact, it usually exacerbates it.

I've heard it called the extinction burst: a last ditch effort by your mind to make you turn back to your old ways. In some cases, people experience serious food boredom towards the end. In others, like yours, almost irresistible cravings come out of nowhere. So, yeah, it happens.

I'm having cravings again at the end of my Whole 30.  Very hungry.  I have managed to not start up with snacking, but I will basically have a dessert with 1-2 of my meals each.  It is usually nut butter and fruit.  I feel so hungry after the meals, even though I know my ratios of nutrients and quantities are sufficient.  I blame it on Winter.  It is very very cold in my home and work place.

I had a crazy beer craving the other day (I'm on day 21 of my first whole30); I blame it on the weather! We've been having a very nice "spring in February" here in montana, with warm temps and lots of sunshine. I wanted to sit on the deck and relax with a beer. Hang in there, no matter how good that beer would taste, it could NEVER be worth how awful you would feel about having it. You've gotten this far, don't cave now!!

Archived